Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c2104338

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Newcastle, Australia
i'm having an argument with a friend who is trying to convince me that there is no market for 12" powerbooks or iBooks.

Is there any site or document that actually breaks up all of the different models and tells you what percentage of sales they were, i.e 12"=23%, 15"=48%, 17"=29%?

All i can find so far is info stating powerbook sales (as a whole) up by 126% etc.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Market for 12" PowerBooks: People who need more power than an iBook, but less size than the 15" PowerBook.
Market for 12" iBook: people who want an iBook, that don't have crappy eyes (same resolution for both size iBooks)

davidcb13

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
derajfast said:
12inch pbook is by far the worst selling laptop they make

Dosent seem that way to me..... I see alot of people on this site and other forums with 12" powerbooks more than any other PB... I myself have a 12"

And the 12" ibooks seem much more popular than the 14" just look around most on this site reccomend the 12 over the 14

bentley

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2005
derajfast said:

I'd check that number against college students.

I know 3 other people besides me that have 12" Powerbooks and one guy with a 12" iBook.

I didn't need a big screen but I wanted wireless and bluetooth which didn't come with the iBook at the time. Compared all the features and thought I'd appreciate the extra features which came with the extra bucks.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I have two 12" powerbooks and most of the people i know that own Macs have a 12" powerbook. I have not met a person that owned a 17" PB or a 14" iBook.

c2104338

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Newcastle, Australia
but does anybody have a link to some stats that actually tell you what got sold? Surely there has to be an annual report or something that can tell me the breakdown of laptop sales.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I'm to lazy to google it, but my recollection is that Apple quit breaking out specific model info in its shareholder reports-- they just say we sold x number of laptops and x number of desktops. So I don't think that you can get that information from apple.

Going back to your argument-- I cant see why your friend would think there is no market for the 12"-- apple invented the "ultraportable" with the 12" ibook and powerbook. PC makers have caught up (after 4 years) in the category, but the 12" ibook is as good a bargain as you can get, when you consider the software bundle ane the OS.

/typed on my 12" ibook/

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
derajfast said:

Its probably true now, after the iBooks got updated. However it will be a different story after the PB line gets updated.

I love my 12'' PowerBook :)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
c2104338 said:
but does anybody have a link to some stats that actually tell you what got sold? Surely there has to be an annual report or something that can tell me the breakdown of laptop sales.

Apple announced last quarter (or maybe the quarter before) that they were no longer going to break Macintosh sales down by model's due to competition.

I personally think it was because certain products (such as the iBook G4 14") are not selling as well as planned.

steebu

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2005
you are definately wrong.

the 12" ibook is one of the best selling macs ever.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
both iBook and PB 12'' have the places

iBook 12'' for people who do not have lots of $$$ but want a Mactop, for people who want a Mactop that does not take up space, a low power user( or a 2nd computer that does not need lots of power.

PowerBook 12'' for people who want a more powerful Mactop but do not want teh size /bulk/ weight of the 15'' or 17'' PowerBook

The only laptop i have ever wanted was a 12'' MacTop but for college i will want a 14'' or 15'' laptop. I do not want a 17'' laptop untill my eyes go bad an i ned that big screen for my laptop.

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
c2104338 said:
i'm having an argument with a friend who is trying to convince me that there is no market for 12" powerbooks or iBooks.

Is there any site or document that actually breaks up all of the different models and tells you what percentage of sales they were, i.e 12"=23%, 15"=48%, 17"=29%?

All i can find so far is info stating powerbook sales (as a whole) up by 126% etc.

Why / how did this conversation start? Is it a mac vs. PC thing?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
fartheststar said:

Sounds more like a "mine is bigger than yours and therefore yours doesn't get sold as much" thing.

I'd rather 12 inches of Mac than 15 inches of PC.

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
i've got my iBook, and have talked 2 others into "switching" and they're both getting 12" iBooks as well. One of em was an easy switch since his brother already had a 12" iBook. I'm still new to the mac world so my experience is small compared to a lot of you guys, but so far, all iBook line that I know.

>Z

WebMongol

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2004
Bay Area, CA
Amazon.com: Top Sellers

As others already mentioned Apple stopped reporting statistics for computer lines a quarter ago.
Your best bet is popularity of different *Books derived from sale statistics of larger store. You can check amazon.com top sellers list.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...c_nav/102-5800456-2302508?ts-parent-id=541966

At the time of writing iBook 12" is the most popular notebook, iBook 14" is number two and Powerbook 17" is at the bootom of the list. I think that the most important factor in popularity is price. Amazon.com has $150 mail in rebate for PowerBook 12" so it is only $350 over 12" iBook.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I've never seen a 12" Powerbook outside of the Apple store, but 12" iBooks are common in my school.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
Off-hand I can think of three iBook owners, two 15" PB owners, and one 12" Pb owner.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
joshuawaire said:
Apple announced last quarter (or maybe the quarter before) that they were no longer going to break Macintosh sales down by model's due to competition.

I personally think it was because certain products (such as the iBook G4 14") are not selling as well as planned.

Why would competition make them stop?

c2104338

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Newcastle, Australia
fartheststar said:

No, it started on the rumour that Apple are going to dump the 12" PB sometime in the future and only have the 12" iBook. I think they are crazy to do it but he thinks that no one wants or needs a 12" pro laptop.
i know that the two are pretty similar at the moment and probably not worth spending an extra $800 to get the PB, but when the PBs get speedbumps shortly at the paris expo it will make them more distinguishable and a far more attractive laptop to consumers.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
Xeem said:
I've never seen a 12" Powerbook outside of the Apple store, but 12" iBooks are common in my school.

I guess that must depend on where you look. I chose the 12 PB because it was better specified, had more useful ports, better scope for additional use over time and (IMO) looked a lot better than the iBook which can seem a bit like a child's toy at times.

Both laptops are pretty unique in terms of appearance when compared to PCs and inspite of their best efforst to copy the design that looks like it'll remain the case. The problem apple has is that any change in design will probbably bring them closer to PCs rather than further away (aside from the fact that there'll all have the same chip inside).

Forget the stickers on the computer (those come off) it is the adverts with that naff intel noise on them that will annoy me - if apple ever gives any thought to advertising!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.