PDA

View Full Version : Self destructing DVD


Mr. Anderson
Nov 22, 2002, 01:36 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/11/22/bond.dvd/index.html

Interesting potential here - can't wait to actually get one my self to test....although I think I'd prefer the Mission Impossible type that goes up in smoke. ;)

D

diorio
Nov 22, 2002, 03:26 PM
It's destruction.;) I can't see many pro's to this. Sure, you may not be able to illegally install programs on more than one computer, but it will be sure to fail because consumers will get pissed off and not buy it. Just my opinion.

Mr. Anderson
Nov 22, 2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by diorio
but it will be sure to fail because consumers will get pissed off and not buy it. Just my opinion.

Its not for comsumers to buy, but for people to receive from companies with info/music/movies that they don't want to have copied. Makes sense and I can see a use for it - whether it catches on is another thing.

D

diorio
Nov 22, 2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet


Its not for comsumers to buy, but for people to receive from companies with info/music/movies that they don't want to have copied. Makes sense and I can see a use for it - whether it catches on is another thing.

D

I read the article but clarify something for me. These DVD's would be kind of like demo DVD's or something like that?

Mr. Anderson
Nov 22, 2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by diorio


I read the article but clarify something for me. These DVD's would be kind of like demo DVD's or something like that?

Exactly - that's why the would be enviable for certain companies.

D

Computer_Phreak
Nov 22, 2002, 04:22 PM
why couldnt you just copy it within the first 36 hours?

:) duh

Kid Red
Nov 22, 2002, 04:33 PM
"Damn, I got sick all week and went to play your disk when i go back to the office and it wouldn't play. Can you send me another one?"

"Hey Bob left for Africa this morning for a week. What? The disk won't be playable after 60 hours? That's stupid, well, can you Fed Ex another next Monday then?"

I just see too many stupid cons to this. They are better off trying to lock the disk somehow.

Chaszmyr
Nov 22, 2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Computer_Phreak
why couldnt you just copy it within the first 36 hours?

:) duh

Give it to the person at 35 hours so they dont have time to copy it then :-P

cjerens
Nov 22, 2002, 04:38 PM
That's exactly what I thought. "Hollywood ... is 50 or 60 steps ahead of everybody else," is a bunch of b.s. It's really the hackers who are.

Computer_Phreak
Nov 22, 2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by cjerens
That's exactly what I thought. "Hollywood ... is 50 or 60 steps ahead of everybody else," is a bunch of b.s. It's really the hackers who are.


thats very true...

wdlove
Nov 23, 2002, 08:27 PM
I wonder if it would be like on Mission Impossible?

MacBandit
Nov 23, 2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
I wonder if it would be like on Mission Impossible?

Yeah that would be cool. You insert the DVD watch it and it says this DVD will now self destruct. The DVD gives a command to the DVD player to eject and on ejection the DVD starts on fire globs of flaming plastic fall on your carpet set the carpet on fire and from there the whole world goes to hell.

Mr. Anderson
Nov 23, 2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
I wonder if it would be like on Mission Impossible?

Did you even bother to read the article? It turns an opaque purple, rendering it unreadable. :rolleyes:

If you don't have something intelligent to say, don't say anything.

D

wdlove
Nov 24, 2002, 05:05 PM
I just thought that be a cool additonal effect.

MacBandit
Nov 24, 2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
I just thought that be a cool additonal effect.

That's what I thought you meant.

Mr. Anderson
Nov 24, 2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
I just thought that be a cool additonal effect.

Ha, not all that practical though. All that smoke gets in the computer and after a few self distructs you need a new computer - liability on something like that alone wouldn't make it fly.

MacBandit
Nov 25, 2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet


Ha, not all that practical though. All that smoke gets in the computer and after a few self distructs you need a new computer - liability on something like that alone wouldn't make it fly.

I liked my way of the process of self destruction better.:)

Mr. Anderson
Nov 25, 2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit


I liked my way of the process of self destruction better.:)

A much better version of a virus - there will be no recovery from that one :D

Royal Pineapple
Nov 26, 2002, 07:37 PM
perhaps the laser would heat up the special plastic causing it to melt but only just enough to render the disk useless

or the drive could shoot the disk out of the computer or dvd player so that it goes flying into the oppisite wall and shatters
cool effect, somewhat dangerous. could be some lawsuits kids with shattered dvd lodged in their septum
happy holidays

Mr. Anderson
Nov 27, 2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Royal Pineapple
perhaps the laser would heat up the special plastic causing it to melt but only just enough to render the disk useless


Did you read the article? The disc is removed from its wrapping and it turns purple in 36 hours to become unreadable. Its not a matter of the laser making the change in the color, but it exposure to oxygen (is my guess). There is some reactive chemical in the disk that oxidizes and changes from transparent to opaque. Quite simple, actually.

D