PDA

View Full Version : iBook + diet pepsi = OH NOES

katie ta achoo
Sep 4, 2005, 08:29 PM
So, the iBook (now my brothers) has sort of become the dedicated DVD player in the house, for when we want to watch something that isn't toy story or the incredibles or uuuugghhhh something else I've seen 3099999 times because I get to watch it with him all the time.

Sooooo my mom and Ellis (the nephew) were doing something, I think looking at Disney.com and I had a can of pepsi on the table, a foot or so away from the iBook.

I know y'all can tell where this is going. iBook + diet pepsi + Aunt KT screaming "OH NOES!" + Grammaw "GO GET TOWELS, ELLIS" = KT grabs iBook, turn over, takes out battery, and towels it off. Then Ellis started crying :( :(.

Anywhoo, it didn't penetrate the keyboard, but I'm pretty sure it got in ALL the ports and sucked up in the fan... any ways of testing each port (tomorrow night, I'm giving that thing 24 hours!) to make sure each one works?
Also, if pepsi DID get sucked up into the fan, would I be able to tell? would it asplode the second I turn it on?
Do I need to rinse anything off with distilled water CAREFULLY?
(If need be, I could take it to my dad's lab.. much microscopes and eye droppers and, I dunno other stuff that I might need to dissect the iBook.)

and very very VERY sorry, I know there have been threads on this but... I need to hear it. I might actually have to drive the iBook to the Apple store and ask a genius about it.

Is it the kind of deal where if it asplodes it'll be within the first 10 days after the accident?

I rather like that iBook.. it was my first mac ever... <3
(today is my year and a day anniversary Macness. AND WHAT A YEAR!)

jiv3turkey748
Sep 4, 2005, 08:41 PM
i guess you can run apple hardware test

i did he same thing with my ibook once it dried out it was fine, but i was scared as hell

katie ta achoo
Sep 4, 2005, 08:45 PM
i guess you can run apple hardware test

i did he same thing with my ibook once it dried out it was fine, but i was scared as hell

Um... I don't have the hardware test CDs. Would my Powerbook CD work just fine? I know they have diff hardware in them..

Oryan
Sep 4, 2005, 09:50 PM
Um... I don't have the hardware test CDs. Would my Powerbook CD work just fine? I know they have diff hardware in them..
No, you have to have the CD specifically for your model. Just make sure it is dried out very well. If any got in the fan, I'd imagine it would make some sort of catching sound or whine or something.

buryyourbrideau
Sep 4, 2005, 09:54 PM
i would let it sit for at least 3 days or so and make sure that everything has dried then i would take it to an apple store and have someone look at the innards of the machine. i personally would not run it until i make sure everything is cleaned up unless you know that it didnt get past the keyboard, airport card and ram shield. :(

Duff-Man
Sep 4, 2005, 10:04 PM
Duff-Man says....I'd be very careful with it too - simply wiping it up and letting it dry out, hoping for the best is not likely to be a good long term solution. That may be okay if it is just water but Pepsi has all that other stuff in it - sweeteners, syrup etc etc which can really create havoc with the insides of the iBook....get it looked at by a pro/genius....oh yeah!

katie ta achoo
Sep 4, 2005, 10:22 PM
Duff-Man says....I'd be very careful with it too - simply wiping it up and letting it dry out, hoping for the best is not likely to be a good long term solution. That may be okay if it is just water but Pepsi has all that other stuff in it - sweeteners, syrup etc etc which can really create havoc with the insides of the iBook....get it looked at by a pro/genius....oh yeah!

h'ok, will do.
Hopefully the genius bar guys won't laugh at me...

Last time I was there ( yesterday) they accused me of inventing problems iwht my PowerBook, just to go more often.. spilled pepsi on an iBook may cause the same look of suspicion.

GimmeSlack12
Sep 4, 2005, 10:22 PM
Go to your room, and I want you to think about what you've done.
Don't come out until I say so.
bad news to hear dude.

Eniregnat
Sep 4, 2005, 10:32 PM
Pepsi- Diet... what is the world coming too.

At best you have time to clean the ports (with the machine off, bat and power removed), with q-tips and 91% or better isopropyl alcohol. If everything drys out you might just be fine. I have found that most sodas don't cause shorts after they have dried. (Somebody dumps a soft drink on one of the studio keyboards or controllers at least once a month). Any way, what I have noticed is an increase in the rate of corrosion. This eventually leads to a short- bad news. Generally the diet drinks don't dry out very well either. They tend to turn into a sticky semicrystalline syrup. If your lucky, and I hope you are, nothing got in. My controllers and keyboards are not a laptop, so I am only giving you best case senero.

verozov
Sep 4, 2005, 10:35 PM
ya same basic thing happened to an old ibm i had... except it was in the first hour i had it... and it was coffee... and it was right after i asked my mom to take it away from my new computer and then she spilt it...

totally fried everything, didn't get it back for a year

buryyourbrideau
Sep 4, 2005, 11:43 PM
ya same basic thing happened to an old ibm i had... except it was in the first hour i had it... and it was coffee... and it was right after i asked my mom to take it away from my new computer and then she spilt it...

totally fried everything, didn't get it back for a year

way to knock the hope. ha

mjstew33
Sep 5, 2005, 12:01 AM
What is this you say about your dad having a lab?
First: I would take it to a Genius [if they don't laugh at you :rolleyes:]
If that doesn't work,
Second: Take it to your dad's "lab" and try to dissect it and get as much "stuff" out as you can.

Wait a few days for powerup.

Boy do I feel bad, I definitley know your pain as mine got bashed within 4 days, So i know what it's like having a broken iBook :(

TheMonarch
Sep 5, 2005, 12:05 AM
EEEWWW... Diet...

Sorry man, best of luck :o

StarbucksSam
Sep 5, 2005, 01:12 AM
Not personally knowing what a genius can do as far as notes on your account/warranty etc - I would not bring it in to one unless it was a last resort. if they have the power to void your warranty and whatnot, you really don't want to go there. There is some powerbook/ibook repair site online that I think is fairly reputable and would deal with this kind of thing. I forget what it's called. They are related to iPod Resq.

Nermal
Sep 5, 2005, 01:15 AM
That'd be MacResQ.

iMacZealot
Sep 5, 2005, 01:37 AM
This happened to my sister's iMac G3..only instead of diet pepsi, a diamond necklace took its place..and sparks and a slightly slower machine instead of syrup stains and a wet mess.

Just go to the Genius Bar..that's what she did. She used it for another year and then got a Dell, but she never restored the computer..she's such a little girl :D .

katie ta achoo
Sep 5, 2005, 01:51 AM
All the "ohh noes! warranty" people-- This thing is oooolllldddd. Way out of warranty. I got it from a pawn shop. The genius bar is aware of this. (I can refer to the bar as a single entity-- they all know who I am.. and all simultaneously try to take their lunch break as soon as I walk in, ha!) Even if the guy who sold it to the pawn shop had apple care, this computer is from 2001, I think. Way AppleCare'd-out.
Also, I did my own warranty-forever-voided stunt-- I took off the top lid, and repainted it. Muaha!

"oh noes! soda"-- Oh crap. If it does die, I/my family gets to do:
(pick one)
1. finance a new 'book
2. "Katie, give Zach your PowerBook. it WAS your pepsi." (but it was HIS son and HIS mom that knocked it over. and it was like a .. good yard away.)
3. I get to play IT professional to myself (OS X) and Them (Ecks-PEE). Not fun. Having 1/2 of the family switched was totally double sweet-- there was less stuff to do. Hehe. :p

Thanks for the ear (or eyes, whatever. It's a forum.) Don't worry, it's not my baby, it's my former baby iBook. Big poppa PowerBook has usurped its place in my Geeked out techno loser heart. :D

But thanks for all the kind words.. I wonder what the genius bar'll say when I tell them THIS story.

KT: See, my mom and nephew were...
bar: we're gonna have to start charging you at some point
KT: SHUT UP! Let me finish!!
bar: blablabla, common, let me hear it. What did you do this time? You're always breaking computers!
KT: Chupacabra!! *runs to dell kiosk, crying*
the evil empire that is dell: Yess.. come to us... we won't make fun of you to your face... Muahahahhaa
(and then the evil empire that is dell BSOD's and I laugh, and go back to apple store to take the abuse I so deserve and love.)

...and I've lost my mind.

I think I left my mind
in San Francisco
High on a hill..

and it all goes south when I start quoting sinatra songs.

Patmian212
Sep 5, 2005, 06:41 AM
Great imagination katie, oh and I love the chupacabra bit :D . I think It will be fine after it dries up, but I do think genius bar is the way to go and if they give you lip demand to speak to the manager just to scare them.

Best of luck!!!!

dcv
Sep 5, 2005, 11:14 AM
First of all... sorry to hear about your mishap, hope there's not too much damage done

Second of all... but perhaps more importantly... what are you doing drinking diet pepsi? - check my user name, lol!

Thirdly... perhaps it's time to invest in an iSkin keyboard protector?!!

:)

Nermal
Sep 5, 2005, 04:16 PM
Thirdly... perhaps it's time to invest in an iSkin keyboard protector?!!

Anywhoo, it didn't penetrate the keyboard, but I'm pretty sure it got in ALL the ports and sucked up in the fan

Somehow, I don't think an iSkin would've been much help.

clayj
Sep 5, 2005, 04:21 PM
An iSkin won't help much if the drink goes in the ports instead of the keyboard.Which brings up a question I was thinking about yesterday... all of the ports on my PowerBook G4 are open, all of the time... they don't have any protective covers like some other laptops do (Sony's, for example).

I think it would be a cool idea if someone were to create and market "PortPlugs"... small, colored-to-match plugs designed for each type of port (modem, Ethernet, USB, FireWire, etc.) that would fit flush with the exterior of the computer and prevent anything else from going inside the port. Each PortPlug would have a small attachment point on the outside for a removal tool to be able to extract it. So, if you're like me and you will NEVER be using the modem, you can safely Plug the Port.

devilot
Sep 5, 2005, 04:25 PM
I think it would be a cool idea if someone were to create and market "PortPlugs"... There exists iSkin type plugs for the ports... I really don't remember where I saw them though. :o And they are that clearish whiteish plasticy material.

clayj
Sep 5, 2005, 04:27 PM
There exists iSkin type plugs for the ports... I really don't remember where I saw them though. :o And they are that clearish whiteish plasticy material.Cool, I'll keep an eye out for them... I figured someone else must have thought of this before I did.

Why doesn't Apple make and sell something like this?

EDIT: Here's where you can get them. (http://www.radtech.us/Products/Portectorz.aspx)

katie ta achoo
Sep 5, 2005, 04:31 PM
I think it would be a cool idea if someone were to create and market "PortPlugs"... small, colored-to-match plugs designed for each type of port (modem, Ethernet, USB, FireWire, etc.) that would fit flush with the exterior of the computer and prevent anything else from going inside the port. Each PortPlug would have a small attachment point on the outside for a removal tool to be able to extract it. So, if you're like me and you will NEVER be using the modem, you can safely Plug the Port.

Dude, it's called masking tape.

:p :p

ALL IS WELL in iBookland. I took it to the Apple store, they made fun of me, got me the G3 iBook hardware test CD and let me start it while I was waiting in line because "they think I know what I'm doing". Then, genius-in-training-Chris took a look at it, and it was all good. I got made fun of some more, then left.

Looked at dresses,

then came back to ask if I can put the guts from a 4G iPod into the 3G shell. (I. HATE. Clickwheels!!)

but all is well, I lucked out!
Chris told me about how some woman had an iBook that had about 2 cups of water in it.. he turned it over and ... Woooshhh out came the water.
:eek: :eek:

devilot
Sep 5, 2005, 04:38 PM
EDIT: Here's where you can get them. (http://www.radtech.us/Products/Portectorz.aspx)Thanks for that link! :D Think I'll get those next.

:edit: How rude of me! Katie, I'm glad that your old primary Mac is doing well! Man, it pays to have an established relationship w/ geniuses, eh? ;)

SciCos
Mar 24, 2006, 07:27 PM
Same thing happen to me with milk, alot of screaming and blaming later. The milk got into some ports and underneath but I wiped it then all was well.:)