PDA

View Full Version : VCR vertical mounting?

mkrishnan
Sep 4, 2005, 08:53 PM
So...erm, this is a very random question to post on MR. But I have so many smart friends here, and I didn't know how to effectively google an answer, so what the heck? :D

In general, are home / consumer VCRs useable in a vertical orientation (so that the long axis of the tape is pointing up and down)? Has anyone done this, or does anyone know definitively if it is/is not okay? I am thinking in terms of poor physical alignment of the tape in the drive causing some problem for either the VCR or the tape.

I tried it briefly and it didn't seem too bad, but I don't want to find out after a few weeks that I'm eating tapes or breaking my VCR. Because I absolutely refuse to ever buy another VCR again.

I haven't used videocassettes much in a few years, but I'm stuck at the moment trying to work out a legacy situation in which I'm trying to use my ReplayTV to generate digital copies of material from tape, and then download it to my iBook and ffmpegx it to a manageable size. I have limited room to put the VCR in my cart under my TV. :(

Thanks! :)

mad jew
Sep 4, 2005, 09:06 PM
I don't have any experience so I can't be all that useful, but the only problem I can think of might be the fact that the prongs that twist the tape inside the cassette are now holding the entire weight of the cassette too. I'm not sure how much of a problem this would be though. I reckon it'll probably be fine vertical. :)

homerjward
Sep 4, 2005, 09:08 PM
what's a VCR?

mkrishnan
Sep 4, 2005, 09:19 PM
what's a VCR?

I know, I know. Don't start with me. I had to dig mine out of storage. :rolleyes:

I told you. Legacy app. I am coochied down to the socks with my ReplayTV on my AEBS. I can stream digitally recorded video straight to my iBook and watch it in VLC if I want, without even copying it over first. :D