PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS 9

Imixmuan
Oct 24, 2012, 03:33 PM
LIVES!

http://macos9lives.com/

I don't know who put this site together, maybe they visit here, maybe they don't, but I wholly support the idear. I loved OS 9, sad to see it go, still use classic for some things (my only working copy of photoshop is 5.5 running in classic)...and conflict extensions are fun. So is a lack of protected memory, and grinding your whole computer to a halt printing a word document. Actually, that was more of a 8.5 thing.

Besides, if you get your rocks off using an "obsolete" PowerPC OS X machine you should just try getting by using OS 9 alone for awhile. Now THAT is a real PowerPC challenge.

Ariii
Oct 24, 2012, 05:49 PM
That sounds like a nice site... just signed up for an account. If that got enough popularity, it could end up being a very useful resource for older Macs.

TSE
Oct 24, 2012, 06:01 PM
LIVES!

http://macos9lives.com/

I don't know who put this site together, maybe they visit here, maybe they don't, but I wholly support the idear. I loved OS 9, sad to see it go, still use classic for some things (my only working copy of photoshop is 5.5 running in classic)...and conflict extensions are fun. So is a lack of protected memory, and grinding your whole computer to a halt printing a word document. Actually, that was more of a 8.5 thing.

Besides, if you get your rocks off using an "obsolete" PowerPC OS X machine you should just try getting by using OS 9 alone for awhile. Now THAT is a real PowerPC challenge.

Very well put together website. I think the idea of using such old hardware and software for current usage is an interesting idea.

Nameci
Oct 24, 2012, 07:23 PM
I can always do away with older software, they still work. I miss my OS9 machines.

B&W G3 and Yikes G4.

92WardSenatorFE
Oct 25, 2012, 03:34 PM
Looks like a good site, I'm glad someone is finally spending some time to help out OS 9 users! :)

TSE
Oct 26, 2012, 12:15 AM
I would make a forum button alongside the Hardware, Setup, etc. navigation on the top by the way.

pistooli
Oct 28, 2012, 01:58 AM
I would love to have a site for OS 8.6 too... :D

Ariii
Nov 16, 2012, 08:29 PM
We should raise publicity for this site. Let's all put it in our signatures :)!

Idefix
Nov 16, 2012, 09:01 PM
I still run OS 9 in Sheepshaver--works very well on Mountain Lion!

PowerPCMacMan
Nov 16, 2012, 10:50 PM
All I can say is GOOD FOR THEM! OS 9 needs to be around and it a nice, low cost operating system. I always had a special heart for OS 9 and still do. While I have a PowerMac G5 Quad and 6-Core Mac Pro working together to enhance my computer experience, I sometimes take out my G4 Pismo(Yes, its a G4, was 500 G3) and love the nostalgic experience of yesteryear.

OS 9 still has a lot of potential and is quite nice for those systems that can't run OS X very well. All G4's can run some version of OS X, but OS 9 ran nice and fast on the lowest G4 or G3 ever made.

I say, Long live OS 9! Its a great OS and with Cameron Kaiser keeping Classilla alive for OS 9, I feel it indeed has some what of a future!

PowerPC #1

PPCMM