PDA

View Full Version : Ibook G4 - Turned off by itself?

rjcalifornia
Oct 24, 2012, 04:43 PM
I was viewing some pictures on facebook, when suddenly my ibook G4 turned off by itself. I turned back on and time/date was set to 1969

Why did that happened? Is my ibook in troubles? HELP!:eek:

Intell
Oct 24, 2012, 04:45 PM
Did the battery die? If an iBook's battery dies or it removed, the clock will reset because they do not have a PRAM battery.

skateny
Oct 24, 2012, 04:55 PM
I was viewing some pictures on facebook, when suddenly my ibook G4 turned off by itself. I turned back on and time/date was set to 1969

Stay away from Facebook. :D

rjcalifornia
Oct 24, 2012, 05:39 PM
Did the battery die? If an iBook's battery dies or it removed, the clock will reset because they do not have a PRAM battery.

I wish, I wish... =/

I'm kinda scare, the battery is up and running... And it was connected to the charger when it happened...

It was so odd, never happened before.

About facebook, I was using fluid. Could it be a voltage problem with the USB laptop fan?

skateny
Oct 24, 2012, 06:37 PM
I wish, I wish... =/

I'm kinda scare, the battery is up and running... And it was connected to the charger when it happened...

It was so odd, never happened before.

About facebook, I was using fluid. Could it be a voltage problem with the USB laptop fan?

I was just kidding about Facebook.

What you describe happened frequently due to a faulty DC-in board, even when good battery was also powering my iBook. Spent weeks jiggling the AC adapter connector to show it was attached. Replaced DC-in board and haven't had a problem since.

rjcalifornia
Oct 24, 2012, 09:59 PM
I was just kidding about Facebook.

What you describe happened frequently due to a faulty DC-in board, even when good battery was also powering my iBook. Spent weeks jiggling the AC adapter connector to show it was attached. Replaced DC-in board and haven't had a problem since.

Faulty DC-in board? How can I change it?

skateny
Oct 24, 2012, 10:29 PM
Faulty DC-in board? How can I change it?

It's a simple procedure. iFixit has the short process. Most of the time is spent with micro screws. But you'll want to ensure that's the correct diagnosis.

Does your AC adapter work reliably? Does it display as connected in the battery icon at the top-right of your display?

I got the part for $12.99 on eBay.

You should do a hardware check and disk utility before fixing something that might not be broken.

Cox Orange
Oct 26, 2012, 12:28 PM

Because Mr. Zuckerberg doesn't like other people, than himself :D

Sorry, for Off topic.

You can use coconutbattery (software) 2.6.6 (the newer version is faulty) to know how much charge it still can hold.

If you want to change the DC-in-board or find it isn't causing the problem, you might also want to check ifixit.com (guides and forum)