Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firewood

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Apple seems to be really pushing iOS Developers to incorporate their app businesses. They are reported to be removing all artist and business names from non-company (individual) developer accounts, and even from app searches.

So what's it cost to incorporate? What's the average annual cost for corporate registration fees, tax preparation, and the like? Does the required D&B number cost anything?

firewood

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Look in Apple's iOS developers forums for developer reports on business name changes done by Apple to individual accounts... without notice.

samdev

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
Apple seems to be really pushing iOS Developers to incorporate their app businesses. They are reported to be removing all artist and business names from non-company (individual) developer accounts, and even from app searches.

So what's it cost to incorporate? What's the average annual cost for corporate registration fees, tax preparation, and the like? Does the required D&B number cost anything?

We can't tell you. Costs vary from state to state. You'll have to find more information about incorporation
on your state's Secretary of State website. Or some other states call it the Department of Labor.
But, whatever the costs, it should be cheap. Maybe less than 50 bucks.

samdev

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
That's the one-time cost. But aren't there significant annual (or quarterly?) tax preparation costs?

Again, I think it depends on your state. One-time filing fee should be $50 or less.
If your state requires an annual fee, it would be less than $30 bucks. Otherwise, the fee is waived.

mochibits

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
I'm in CA, and it cost around $5000 for setup, maintenance, and tax prep for our C-corp.

If you don't have any business partners or employees don't incorporate or form an LLC. It's not necessary.

samdev

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
Is that per year? And what are the big expenses besides initial fees and tax prep? Annual meeting filings?

Are you forming a LLC? In your post, you specifically mentioned a "Individual" developer account.
An LLC would be the next logical step for a single developer. There are no crazy 5k fees.

firewood

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Are you forming a LLC? In your post, you specifically mentioned a "Individual" developer account.
An LLC would be the next logical step for a single developer.

That would be a subject to discuss with ones lawyer. There are entire books on the many many differences between forms of incorporation. Jumping to a conclusion based on a single assumption may be quite inappropriate and thus illogical for any particular businesses current needs and potential future options.

Typical costs is one factor, which is why I'm polling for estimates here.

samdev

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
That would be a subject to discuss with ones lawyer. There are entire books on the many many differences between forms of incorporation. Jumping to a conclusion based on a single assumption may be quite inappropriate and thus illogical for any particular businesses current needs and potential future options.

Typical costs is one factor, which is why I'm polling for estimates here.

No need to get defensive. This is an open discussion board, nobody is taking notes.
Everything discussed here should be taken with a grain of salt.

If an individual (not you of course) wanted to start a company, he would form a LLC.
Limited liability and small fees to startup. I would do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.