PDA

View Full Version : Have a 2nd Gen iPod...mulling a 4th Gen; should I wait for the 5th?

Argelius
Sep 5, 2005, 07:27 AM
I currently have a 20 GB 2nd Gen iPod and am ready to trade up and get a 60GB photo iPod.

I've been reading and reading forums on various sites discussing the possible upcoming 5th Generation iPod.

Would anyone here care to speculate as to when the next generation iPod might be out? I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and get a new one now or wait. I can certainly wait for a month or two, but not six or seven.

There are speculations that it will do video -- something which I have no interest in. I am more interested in general improvements to battery life, usability, etc.

Thanks!

DarkNetworks
Sep 5, 2005, 07:52 AM
I currently have a 20 GB 2nd Gen iPod and am ready to trade up and get a 60GB photo iPod.

I've been reading and reading forums on various sites discussing the possible upcoming 5th Generation iPod.

Would anyone here care to speculate as to when the next generation iPod might be out? I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and get a new one now or wait. I can certainly wait for a month or two, but not six or seven.

There are speculations that it will do video -- something which I have no interest in. I am more interested in general improvements to battery life, usability, etc.

Thanks!

I think the best bet is to wait until the Expo...I'm sure there's gonna be some new releases of iPods either updated or probally something new...
However, i don't think iPod Video's will be released any time soon..probally next year...so i'll say wait a couple more weeks...you don't wanna go out and get one now and after a few weeks, u regret for buying it...

petej
Sep 5, 2005, 07:57 AM
A colleague of mine walked into the office this morning sporting a nice brand new iPod Colour so I did a quick side by side comparison with my antique 10GB iPod with touch wheel. I think this is referred to as 2nd Gen. The colour screen is very pretty. Solitaire is a nice game to play and the click wheel is good - not as good as the touch wheel (IMO) but way better than the 3rd Gen with the glowing buttons. Did I like it enough to buy one. No. I would not be using it for photos. UI is much the same just with colour. Yes I do need the extra space for my entire music collection, but as it stands, I have enough trouble deciding what to listen to with 10GB. Having the interface connector is an improvement and would enable me to plug it directly into the car - with a suitable new and expensive head unit. For now though I will keep on using it with a 5 quid cassette adaptor.
I could be sold on a video iPod in the future though.

swy32x
Sep 5, 2005, 08:33 AM
Hold out until the 7th of September, Apple have held a special event for that day ...

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-plans-special-event-next-week/

mad jew
Sep 5, 2005, 08:48 AM
Remember also that even if the 5G iPods offer very little over the current 4G ones, the prices of the latter will plummet and you'll save a bit of money if you wait. :)

On the other hand, they may go through to the end of the year unchanged, but I see that as unlikely.

rockthecasbah
Sep 5, 2005, 08:52 AM
If it's really killing you, try to hold off until the 7th for the "special media event" Apple is holding. If you can wait a month, do that since Apple Expo could be place for the potential release.

DarkNetworks
Sep 5, 2005, 10:56 AM
Apple Expo with no keynote so just wait until 7th Sep..it's just a few days...don't tell me u can't even wait for like what..3 days?

NEENAHBOY
Sep 5, 2005, 04:06 PM
Definitely hold out until Wednesday just to be safe. We'll probably see the Moto phone and the Mini color screens. Apple Expo is where we'll probably see 5G iPods and iTunes 5 (though with the recent no keynote announcement, I'm a little wary).

Jedi128
Sep 5, 2005, 07:54 PM
The colour screen is very pretty. Solitaire is a nice game to play and the click wheel is good - not as good as the touch wheel (IMO) but way better than the 3rd Gen with the glowing buttons. .

How can you say its better than the 3rd Gen??? The 3rd Gen is the best one so far. I can agree with you that ur 2nd Gen is better than the 4th Gen but (IMO) the 3rd Gen is the best set up.

The 3rd Gen is all touch sensative, something the 2nd and 1st Gen's were not. But then Apple decides to take a step backwards and not make the 4th gen's all touch sensative. (What I'm refering to here is that the 4th Gen have pressable buttons and the 3rd Gen's have no pressable buttons only touch sensative buttons...) I love the way my 3rd Gen looks in the dark with the red glowing buttons..... No other iPod has glowing buttons.....

DarkNetworks
Sep 6, 2005, 08:17 AM
wait wait wait...see nano's coming out tis Wed..n i think maybe moore...so wait..btw, r u still around?

aricher
Sep 6, 2005, 09:26 AM
I loved my 40 GB 3rd Gen. iPod - not a huge fan of the click wheel. Alas, I got into an auto accident a month ago and my 3rd Gen hit the dashboard - dead hard drive. The woman who hit me took full responsibility and her insurance company cut me a check for full purchase price (with shipping) after I sent my iPod to them. Now I have $503.04 burning a hole in my pocket. Just waiting until tomorrow to see if they release anything fantastic. I'd really like an 80 GB - doubt that will happen now though.

Wednesday
Sep 9, 2005, 07:46 AM
I've also got 270 to spend on a new iPod. The hard drive on my 40Gb died earlier this month (after only 9 months of use) and I got a full refund from Amazon.

I had hoped to see something released in between the 20Gb and the 60Gb. There are some online places offering a 30Gb photo iPod but they're costing just about the same as a 60Gb when you add on delivery etc.

Does anyone think it's worth waiting till the end of the month for the Expo to see if a 5th generation iPod is released, or should I just go ahead and get a new 60Gb (with no dock supplied? what's that all about?)? Suffering public transport with no white headphones is absolutely killing me... :(

jholzner
Sep 9, 2005, 10:03 AM
I've also got 270 to spend on a new iPod. The hard drive on my 40Gb died earlier this month (after only 9 months of use) and I got a full refund from Amazon.

I had hoped to see something released in between the 20Gb and the 60Gb. There are some online places offering a 30Gb photo iPod but they're costing just about the same as a 60Gb when you add on delivery etc.

Does anyone think it's worth waiting till the end of the month for the Expo to see if a 5th generation iPod is released, or should I just go ahead and get a new 60Gb (with no dock supplied? what's that all about?)? Suffering public transport with no white headphones is absolutely killing me... :(

Well, considering there will be no keynote at the expo I doubt they will be releasing anything new. I think the nano is it until after the holidays, but I could be wrong.

Wednesday
Sep 9, 2005, 12:53 PM
Hmm, perhaps. It just seems weird that the big gap remains between the 20Gb and the 60Gb.

I was really happy with my 40Gb - it was the perfect size for my music collection. I'd have thought at least they'd introduce the 30 and/or 40Gb in a photo version. And I bet if I splash out on a 60 Gb right now, I'll end up wishing I'd waited. Decisions, decisions....

Maybe it'll happen in the next few months but with less fanfare (ah, the naivety of the newbie - but size matters the other way too :rolleyes: )