Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
i haven't pulled the trigger yet but i've been sitting on the fence for a while now reading the many comments made here; very helpful tho i have to admit i'm often confused and clear decision isn't in my pocket yet.

the "right" choice depends on each person's circumstances and what's most important to them.

at the moment, i'm leaning towards the idea of buying an upgraded mini and a tb display. several reasons for the mini but i'll just say the fundamental reason is cuz it'll meet my needs. why the tb display? because it's damn beautiful, the picture quality is awesome and it should last me a couple of years. during those years, the mini will probably be replaced by something else but the monitor can continue to serve vs. having an imac. yes, i don't wanna blow a grand but because it should last a couple of years, the sting isn't so great and it'll serve its purpose really well.

i can't tell you the number of times i've spent money on something cheap only to spend more when it broke, needed repairs, etc. in the end, i didn't save much money and then there's the frustration factor.

anyway, that's my situation and my two cents.

good luck with your search for the right choice ;)

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
That's what I'm going to do, I think. I already have a TBD, and have been waiting to pounce on the new Mini, most likely the Mid. Should be a good combo. Hope there's no lag w/ ML and the HD4000 iGPU, that's my only worry.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I'm leaning towards a very similar set up, probably spring for the midrange mini with either the SSD or Fusion drive.

Now just need to land a freelance gig to pay for it :)

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006
I've bouncing back and forth on whether I want to get a 2011 refurb 27" iMac or the new mid-level Mac Mini. My only real requirements are the ability to play video (movies/TV shows) and run two monitors. I'm leaning towards the new Mini and TB Cinema Display for the same reason you are, that it's a beautiful picture. I have a 24" Dell next to my early 2009 24" iMac, and the iMac is so much nicer. I also like the idea that the mini is easier to upgrade and if I want to replace the mini in the future, I can reuse the monitor.

The only downsides the mini/CD is you need to buy separate AppleCare for each which is more expensive than the AC for the iMac. Also, I believe there are only two memory slots. I don't really see the integrated graphics being a problem (I hope).

z06gal

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2011
I have a TBD and ordered a mid mini with fusion drive. I am pretty psyched to get it set up. ;)

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
The TBD is much ado about very little but its purty exterior sure seems to sway a lot of people toward spending their hard earned $$$ on the display...

I'm sticking with NEC displays. They are a better value for the money: actual ergonomic adjustments vs. minimal tilt, anti-glare matte panels and a four-year warranty included at no extra charge. Wide-gamut displays are an option. Depending on the display there can be additional features not available with the TBD.

With around fifty models offering either LED or CCFL backlighting, NEC has a lot to choose from. And I can attest from personal experience that NEC customer service is equal to, if not superior than Apple.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
If you need to rely on your creativity in your job, using a nice looking, clean setup helps a lot - at least it helps me.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
If you need to rely on your creativity in your job, using a nice looking, clean setup helps a lot - at least it helps me.

Well, my work does entail creativity. And while some very creative and successful people have the messiest work spaces I have ever seen, I do prefer a rather tidy space (I like being able to easily find stuff...) My Mac desktop and data organization are likewise neat and tidy.

But I draw the line when it comes to my computer hardware. Form follows function, not the other way around for me... I want a display with certain features since I spend many hours each day using it. I prefer a mechanical keyboard to the awful Apple keyboards because I do a LOT of typing. I'm a programmable trackball fan vs. a touchpad/mouse.

So I understand and agree with you up to a point... But a shiny aluminum display doesn't do a thing for me creativity-wise.

tshed4041

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2007
What display

What NEC display are you using?
I think I am going to go with a mac mini, but I am not sure what monitor to get. I am thinking I would be in the 21-24 inch widescreen range.

xheathen

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2010
Personally I'd question the TB display. Yes, it's a gorgeous screen, but unless you actually NEED the an IPS screen in that size (like a Photographer or print graphic designer) it's in my opinion a total luxury expense.

Plus, it forces you into the 27" screensize.

I'd suggest going with a Dell Ultrasharp or even standard LED backlit 24" panels. They look great and are extremely affordable especially since you can get them refurbished. My current Dell 24" has been a fantastic monitor - couldn't recommend it enough compared to other standard monitors the same size especially for something you can get for under $200 or the IPS version for another $80.

I'm contemplating the mid range model and instead of the processor upgrade getting the fusion drive. I'm just waiting for more information to surface with it actually working. Then I'll pick up another 24" to pair with my current one.

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Mojo1, I can understand your argument and you may be right. I've never owned an NEC monitor and I'm not familiar with them so I can't really comment on them but I still have the old apple cinema display from 10+ years ago and it's still looking good. Pricey, yes, but my personal experience has been very positive. There is the flat cost of a product and then there's a personal cost should there be a problem. Ive had experiences with other non-computer products and the cost of dealing with an insane customer service rep or time spent on a phone, etc is enough to make me avoid items just because theyre cheaper. (in this case, you pointed out that it is not a factor since you believe NEC's customer service to be excellent.)

Would you please tell me the name/model of an NEC display that is comparable to a TD so that I can look into it? I'm curious to read about it and to see what the price difference might be. Thanks.

Last edited:

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
I would advise against anyone buying a TB display right now. Most likely when the 27 imac is released, a TB display will be also. Or shortly right after. I would get a cheaper monitor to use in the mean time.

The new TB display will have USB 3.0 and hopefully a integrated GPU(probably not but one could hope). Will be thinner. Probably thinner than the imac.

Mad Sativa

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
I would advise against anyone buying a TB display right now. Most likely when the 27 imac is released, a TB display will be also. Or shortly right after. I would get a cheaper monitor to use in the mean time.

The new TB display will have USB 3.0 and hopefully a integrated GPU(probably not but one could hope). Will be thinner. Probably thinner than the imac.

what this guy said, when the imac was introduced the thunderbolt display died. It's a no brainier "do not buy"

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
what this guy said, when the imac was introduced the thunderbolt display died. It's a no brainier "do not buy"

Why not? Just because it has USB 3.0? Don't need more than 4 of them. Because it is thinner? Man, it's a desktop!

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
What NEC display are you using?
I think I am going to go with a mac mini, but I am not sure what monitor to get. I am thinking I would be in the 21-24 inch widescreen range.

I use the discontinued NEC2490 WUXi2 display. The fact that it was being dropped from the NEC roster is probably why I got it for $550 vs. the MSRP of $899. IMO the sweet-spot price-wise in the NEC lineup are the 23" LED and CCFL displays at around $550.

The NEC website is currently offering the WUXi2 at $649: http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/lcd2490wuxi2-bk A quick Startpage/Google search didn't turn up any retailers selling the display on the first page...

Its replacement is $749: http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/p241w-bk
B&H Photo has it for $679: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...W_BK_24_Widescreen_Professional_Graphics.html

----------

Would you please tell me the name/model of an NEC display that is comparable to a TD so that I can look into it? I'm curious to read about it and to see what the price difference might be. Thanks.

NEC displays are popular among pro photographers because they offer excellent quality at a price point between Dell and Eizo. I have personally dealt with NEC and I was blown away at the extra effort the rep put into my problem. (It wasn't a hardware problem; I was having trouble with an NEC supplier...)

I don't know which NEC displays come closest to the Apple TBD. But the NEC website makes it very easy to find comparable monitors based on a variety of criteria. The 27" standard gamut displays is where I would begin. I saw a 27" NEC display for $550 MSRP but I don't know if it is comparable to the TBD. You will need to compare the specifications: http://www.necdisplay.com/category/desktop-monitors

Last edited:

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
----------

[/COLOR]

I don't know which NEC displays come closest to the Apple TBD. But the NEC website makes it very easy to find comparable monitors based on a variety of criteria. The 27" standard gamut displays is where I would begin. I saw a 27" NEC display for $550 MSRP but I don't know if it is comparable to the TBD. You will need to compare the specifications: http://www.necdisplay.com/category/desktop-monitors

Thanks for the info Mojo1; will look into it; I've nothing against saving some money. ;-)

*. Two small questions: do you like screens that auto-adjust? Off hand, I don't but if you do, I'd like to know why. 2nd: as a minimum, wouldn't you say that the monitor has to have at least 1920 x 1080? Thanks.

Last edited:

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Thanks for the info Mojo1; will look into it; I've nothing against saving some money. ;-)

*. Two small questions: do you like screens that auto-adjust? Off hand, I don't but if you do, I'd like to know why. 2nd: as a minimum, wouldn't you say that the monitor has to have at least 1920 x 1080? Thanks.

Do you mean automatically adjust brightness?

As far as the resolution goes, I can't say that I have an informed opinion or even a preference. I don't think that I am as fussy as some when it comes to displays... I use the 13" MBP and I'm fine using 1280 by 800. A lot of folks gripe about the relatively low resolution. My NEC display is 1920x1200.

BTW, I just did some more reading on wide-gamut. As far as I can ascertain, no current stock Mac GPU supports 10-bit output, which is necessary for a wide-gamut display. And only certain apps such as Photoshop can take advantage of the wide-gamut data.

So apparently wide-gamut is a non-starter when it comes to Macs; spending the money on a wide-gamut display is money down the drain.

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Yes, I was referring to some monitors that automatically adjusts brightness.

Thanks for the info on wide gamut!

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
I have spent many hours studying this recently, as I just purchased a Mac Mini. If your not set on 27" may I suggest the Dell Ultrasharp 24" monitor: U2412M

4.5 stars/124 reviews on Amazon

5 stars/168 reviews on Newegg and is currently on sale for $299 (ends today).

It's a 16:10 ratio which a lot of reviewers say is a wonderful ratio for working on Word documents, schoolwork, etc as the screen is "taller". It lacks a HDMI port, but the Mini comes with the adapter you need (HDMI-to-DVI), and the monitor comes with the cable you need to hook them together.

elliotn

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
BTW, I just did some more reading on wide-gamut. As far as I can ascertain, no current stock Mac GPU supports 10-bit output, which is necessary for a wide-gamut display. And only certain apps such as Photoshop can take advantage of the wide-gamut data.

So apparently wide-gamut is a non-starter when it comes to Macs; spending the money on a wide-gamut display is money down the drain.

10 bit isn't necessary to take advantage of a wide gamut screen.

Cameras can capture wide gamut and printers (inkjet) can print it, so it makes sense to have a screen that can display it (if you're a photographer printing to an inkjet).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.