PDA

View Full Version : Minecraft for the G5

GermanyChris
Oct 25, 2012, 08:54 AM
I'm letting someone use my G5 while I fix his computer but he plays minecraft. What is the last version of minecraft that is compatible and where can I download it?

Wildy
Oct 25, 2012, 01:04 PM
It was updated to 1.4.2 today. The Mac minecraft.app no longer works (packaged only for Intel) - but you can either extract the package contents, or just download the .jar and run it from the commandline.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/MinecraftDownload/launcher/minecraft.jar

java -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -cp Minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame

Zeke D
Oct 25, 2012, 11:13 PM
I'm letting someone use my G5 while I fix his computer but he plays minecraft. What is the last version of minecraft that is compatible and where can I download it?

Chris,

Email me and I will send you the PPC app. I can verify it works up to the last version.

Michael Anthony
Oct 26, 2012, 08:25 AM
I was going to answer, but then I realised that I just purged the last copies of Java [+Flash] of the last computers in my extended family that exist, I figure that friends don't let friends use Flash, so to speak.

Can't help more than that smart-ass comment, I'm afraid.

From what I can recall though, JSE 5. *.2 is around about the latest version that should work on Leopard PPC - just a tip though, I haven't tried that out..

Zeke D
Oct 26, 2012, 11:14 AM

You may need to go to the webpage first and try to run MC, then you can use the app afterward. I don't remember since I installed it for my son when his G5 arrived from Germany.

I checked, and he appears to be running it directly from the Time Capsule. It runs at 30+ fps on DP2.0, 4GB RAM & ATI 9600XT 128. It looks to be fully compatible with 1.4.2, but he was complaining yesterday about the sound.

I attached it in case anyone else needs it.

Wildy
Oct 27, 2012, 08:55 AM
It will most likely work straight off. The data is actually stored in ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft - if the folder doesn't exist it's going to download it - which will include all the latest 1.4.2 stuff.

The latest JRE which will run on 10.5.8 is 5 - if you have 10.4 then you can actually install the developer preview of JRE 6! OpenJDK 7 is also available for 10.5 - but it doesn't implement some the stuff which Minecraft uses for the UI - so it doesn't work.

Zeke D
Oct 27, 2012, 09:24 AM
It will most likely work straight off. The data is actually stored in ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft - if the folder doesn't exist it's going to download it - which will include all the latest 1.4.2 stuff.

The latest JRE which will run on 10.5.8 is 5 - if you have 10.4 then you can actually install the developer preview of JRE 6! OpenJDK 7 is also available for 10.5 - but it doesn't implement some the stuff which Minecraft uses for the UI - so it doesn't work.

how do you install the developer preview for jre6? do you have a link? I would like to play Runescape on my G5 which is version locked to JRE6.

Wildy
Oct 27, 2012, 03:20 PM
I can't guarantee it'll work because I'm running 10.5, so I've never been able to test it. But the link is here: http://meiert.com/en/blog/20071029/java-and-lynx-for-mac/

Don't forget to add the new version to your PATH!

Zeke D
Oct 28, 2012, 10:04 AM
I can't guarantee it'll work because I'm running 10.5, so I've never been able to test it. But the link is here: http://meiert.com/en/blog/20071029/java-and-lynx-for-mac/

Don't forget to add the new version to your PATH!

Unfortunately, that java is for intel macs only :(

Wildy
Oct 28, 2012, 11:09 AM
Hmm are you sure? I read about there being restrictions with the installer or something.

I've read around a bit and there are several users running PPC 10.4 who confirm that there is a build floating around somewhere which works. If you can find javase6release1dp6.dmg then that's the one - I can't find a working download source though!