PDA

View Full Version : Massive music Library

inthecup
Oct 25, 2012, 12:47 PM
Yes old non geek guy here ... I own a 2008 MacBook 256 GB HD ... With close to 200 GB of music and pics on my HD .... Think I'm ready to bite the bullet and purchase a brand be AIR with the 512 HD ... Max out the ram ... Is this a good option or should I replace the HD ... Cost for the new AIR is $2400 OUCH !!!! Would have to have someone else install the new HD and set up.

Lukewarmwinner
Oct 25, 2012, 12:57 PM
Yes old non geek guy here ... I own a 2008 MacBook 256 GB HD ... With close to 200 GB of music and pics on my HD .... Think I'm ready to bite the bullet and purchase a brand be AIR with the 512 HD ... Max out the ram ... Is this a good option or should I replace the HD ... Cost for the new AIR is $2400 OUCH !!!! Would have to have someone else install the new HD and set up.

How about a base Air and a external harddrive with usb3? Apples SSD-prices are ridiculous. Either that or upgrade with non-Apple ram

inthecup
Oct 25, 2012, 01:00 PM
Didn't really want to deal with a external drive .. Wireless all over the house .... Main stereo outside separate sound system ..... It sure is expensive tho .... I'm really all over the place now with my Mac so want to be cordless

Mrbobb
Oct 25, 2012, 01:08 PM
If u don't need the iTunes library to leave the house, I immediately think toward a LAN-base storage, that way u can get to it wirelessly as u wish. Can the iTunes library be on a file server? I don't know the answer to that. People?

Lukewarmwinner
Oct 25, 2012, 01:20 PM
If u don't need the iTunes library to leave the house, I immediately think toward a LAN-base storage, that way u can get to it wirelessly as u wish. Can the iTunes library be on a file server? I don't know the answer to that. People?

Yeah, NAS storage is another solution. Qnap and Sonology both offers file sharing outside the house.

inthecup
Oct 25, 2012, 01:25 PM
Yea I'm thinking the external hard drive .... Got lots of stuff I can move over there that I don't listen too much .... $500 is tons of cash just to store it .... And recommendation on an external HD?

AppleDApp
Oct 25, 2012, 01:28 PM
Does your router have a usb port? You could connect an external drive to your router. That will give you ample room. 1Tb if you choose a portable drive or about 8tb if you get a desktop hard drive.

inthecup
Oct 25, 2012, 01:29 PM
Yea I'm thinking the external hard drive .... Got lots of stuff I can move over there that I don't listen too much .... $500 is tons of cash just to store it .... And recommendation on an external HD? Still going to buy that new MBA but just with the 256GB HD .... $1900 will sound much better than $2400

Lukewarmwinner
Oct 25, 2012, 02:14 PM
Does your router have a usb port? You could connect an external drive to your router. That will give you ample room. 1Tb if you choose a portable drive or about 8tb if you get a desktop hard drive.

Although this method usually gives terrible writing/reading-speeds.

I'd say a NAS (2-bay) or external hdd usb3

Personally I'm using iTunes Match for my music, but you might have a slighty larger libary then I since you're asking here (I've got around 200gb music)

wolfpuppies3
Oct 25, 2012, 02:52 PM
Wow, they have gone up radically in price since July when I bought my maxed out 13" at $2100. I only have around 4500 songs so my iTunes folder is just 50 GB but I do have over 360 GB of images. I only keep the most recent three months worth of images to work with on the SSD, the remainder on an external 1 TB drive backed up to a second one.

Lukewarmwinner
Oct 25, 2012, 03:02 PM
Wow, they have gone up radically in price since July when I bought my maxed out 13" at $2100. I only have around 4500 songs so my iTunes folder is just 50 GB but I do have over 360 GB of images. I only keep the most recent three months worth of images to work with on the SSD, the remainder on an external 1 TB drive backed up to a second one.

The dollar-value might have impacted the increase - also Apple uses some new Samsung ones.. Yours might have it as well though

Mac32
Oct 25, 2012, 03:07 PM

Calot
Oct 25, 2012, 03:45 PM

If money is not an object GO FOR IT.

I would have.

Instead I got the i7 8GB 256GB.

Since I'm in México, I paid the equivalent of $2300 US Dollars for it.

Sucks being third world.

TRAV9614
Oct 25, 2012, 06:47 PM
You could get the refurbished maxed out air for $1869.

Here's the link. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air/13