Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superk

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Did a quick search here and didnt find anything, but does anyone know about the performance and ranking of Apples stock SSD compared to 3rd party ones?

Thanks in advance!

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
They've used Samsung SSDs in the past, pretty comparable to other aftermarket drives as far as I know.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
My guess they are using the same SSD as the MacBook Pros. They are using a Samsung based PM 830. One of the best on the market. No reason anymore in getting a third party anymore in my opinion. Upgrading to a Apple SSD is only $300. Almost the same price as retail.

I paid $450 for the upgrade to my Macbook Pro 15 (non-retina) 2012 SSD. It is a Samsung based PM 830 with the same controller. For the Mini my guess would be that they are using the same SSD as in my Macbook Pro. I ordered a Mini 2012 i7 2.6 with Apple SSD and will know for sure if it is the same when I get it.

When I upgraded the Ram on my MBP, looking at the outer case of the Apple Samsung SSD you wouldn't be able to tell what type of SSD it is other than it says Samsung on the outside it is dark grey in color. In about my Mac it shows up as SM256 SSD.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/10

Last edited:

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I thought about the Apple SSD, but for the same price I went with the 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G. I'm going to leave the default 1 TB drive in and use the empty bay for the SSD.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
If it is confirmed that they are using a Samsung 830, I will definitely order through Apple. Even though the Samsung 840 Pro is to come out fairly soon, I like my drives to have a bit of mileage so to speak.

When the 830 was released, I put a 470 in my Mini.

Please no Toshiba drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.