PDA

View Full Version : Brand New iBook with faulty LCD?

Peter Griffin
Sep 5, 2005, 12:55 PM
I was elated when I received my new iBook today (first Mac) but was quickly taken back when I looked at the side of the LCD screen. I apologize for the lack of pictures since I can't get my camera to cooperate right now but it basically looks like someone pushed the bottom right portion of the screen in. If you tilt your head to the left side of the iBook you will notice a thin white line from where the screen looks pushed in. I'm guessing this would be the backlight.

I was just curious if anyone has had this before? Should I return it? I'd hate to get stuck with refurbs but at the same time I don't want something that's faulty from the start. Thanks in advance

I should also note that the LCd looks perfectly fine. It's just the fact that theres a slit of white light whenever you look at it from the left side.

verozov
Sep 5, 2005, 01:12 PM
if it really bothers you just take it to an apple store, the warranty should cover it... if there's not an apple store near by just call apple and they'll tell you the nearest authorized repair center...

Peter Griffin
Sep 5, 2005, 09:43 PM
No, I was just wondering if this was something serious I had to look out for. If it doesn't pose any risk to my iBook then I wouldn't want to risk it for a refurb.

faintember
Sep 5, 2005, 09:48 PM
IMHO they should give you a brand new one to replace yours. You paid good money for a computer, and it should be brand new, so no scratches, no dings, and definitely no light coming from around the LCD. When you get your new, replacement iBook, i would start it up in the store to check and make sure that the LCD is ok.

dmw007
Sep 5, 2005, 10:04 PM
IMHO they should give you a brand new one to replace yours. You paid good money for a computer, and it should be brand new, so no scratches, no dings, and definitely no light coming from around the LCD.

Absolutely! If they sold/shipped you a defective 'Book then they should give you a Brand-New one (w/o your screen problem of course).

Abstract
Sep 5, 2005, 10:18 PM
You'll get a new one. Don't worry about that. Your computer will become a refurb for someone else.

Peter Griffin
Sep 15, 2005, 09:09 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I've decided to keep it because I don't want to deal with the prospects of an iBook w/ more problems. I can only see it if I tilt my head sideways and I never do that while I'm using it, only when I'm standing back to admire it's beauty ;) . I've been using it for a week now and it's not the slit that bothers me but the uneven lighting of the corners. I've been told that this is normal with most iBooks so I'm crossing my fingers that I didn't get a bad apple.

840quadra
Sep 15, 2005, 09:50 AM
You'll get a new one. Don't worry about that. Your computer will become a refurb for someone else.

Me ME ME!!!

I am shopping on apples site now for one! I am giving my ibook away (to my mom) for Christmas. :)

Yes you will be fine, you will get a new iBook from apple, and I would see if you can also get something else thrown in for your troubles!

moot
Sep 15, 2005, 10:07 AM
I don't know if it is normal or not but I have the same problem.

It just came that way. For me, it is both the left and right side.

However, it never bothers me and I don't notice it at all unless I look at the screen from the side. As I look head on, then I don't see it.

I think that many iBooks might suffer from the same problem.

hope this helps :)

Peter Griffin
Sep 15, 2005, 07:21 PM
I don't know if it is normal or not but I have the same problem.

It just came that way. For me, it is both the left and right side.

However, it never bothers me and I don't notice it at all unless I look at the screen from the side. As I look head on, then I don't see it.

I think that many iBooks might suffer from the same problem.

hope this helps :)

Yeah, would you be experiencing any creaking from the left armrest or uneven lighting? I think these are also two recurring problems in iBooks..kinda disappointing after being used to the build quality of my parent's IBM Thinkpads.