Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
OK, this may very well be true, it's coming from all the right sources and if so, the 7th September event better bloody well be a dead-set corker or so help me god heads will be smashed.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Daveway said:
I'm confused. It states that "Apple on Monday said there will be no.....", yet it's only 2am. :confused: :confused:

I didn't know Apple released press releases at 1am.
Eh, I'm local... rather close to 'tino (what we folk call Cupertino) and it's just past midnight-- 12:16ish am. But yes, interesting that Apple is releasing info at this hour, nonetheless.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
*running in slow-mo*
Noooooo!!!

I wonder if they'll have a video of the Q&A on the web site. I'd like to watch it...

I'll dispatch a writer from my local paper.

writer: So, Mr. Jobs, if that is your real name, why exactly ARE you not giving a keynote at this expo?
Jobs: Well--
writer, interrupting: I'M SICK OF YOUR LIES!! WHERE IS KATIE'S-- err... MY POWERBOOK G5?

:p

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
You can't help but feel that it is just one slap in the face after another. How on earth can their stock price being doing so well when their so called 'exciting power pc updates' have so far yielded nothing new or exciting?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
jimN said:
You can't help but feel that it is just one slap in the face after another. How on earth can their stock price being doing so well when their so called 'exciting power pc updates' have so far yielded nothing new or exciting?
No "exciting power pc updates" were promised, only "great" in the same breath that current offerings were called "great". :( I wouldn't expect anything more than speed bumps before next year.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
iMeowbot said:
No "exciting power pc updates" were promised, only "great" in the same breath that current offerings were called "great". :( I wouldn't expect anything more than speed bumps before next year.

Pedant! There's been nothing 'great' since the intel announcement IMHO. Maybe this is how Steve punishes think secret for publishing the specs of the new powerbooks over a month and a half early. Damn him.

Applespider

macrumors G4
I'd been feeling down that I hadn't planned to go to Paris... but now I'm less bothered.

My attempt at positive thinking is that whatever that 'great' product is; it's not ready for launch yet? Alternatively, the orginal plan was to unveil whatever's coming tomorrow in Paris but then they figured that they wouldn't get enough US press there so they did the music event instead leaving them with nothing to show in Paris.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
jimN said:
Pedant! There's been nothing 'great' since the intel announcement IMHO. Maybe this is how Steve punishes think secret for publishing the specs of the new powerbooks over a month and a half early. Damn him.
That's how the Apple PR machine works, everything is put into hyperbolic terms. The most important note on PPC to come out of that keynote was "as we look ahead we can envision some amazing products we want to build for you and we don't know how to build them with the future PowerPC road map." That amount of negativity at a Stevenote (a least when describing Apple products!) is almost unheard of. I think he was trying to be very clear that "amazing" (translation: pretty nice) new products wouldn't be appearing until 2006.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
sh*t I was going to book flight tickets last week! Good job I didn't! That's unbelievable! People mainly go for that once in a life time keynote experience.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
The keynote is still mentioned at the Expo site, but it has never mentioned Steve Jobs (as far as I know), so maybe there won't be any news...? :confused:

Edit: Now they've changed the page:

This year's Apple Expo will not feature a formal keynote presentation at Palais des Congrès.

Apple Expo will begin at 11 a.m. (CET) Tuesday, September 20 at the Porte de Versailles in Paris. We look forward to seeing you on the Expo show floor where you will have the chance to try the latest products from Apple and over 250 companies.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
there is precedent for new product announcements at a keynote without steve, although he had cancer at the time - fingers crossed (for a new announcement, not SJ to have further ill health).

I appreciate that all companies have to promote themselves and that means a fair amount of exageration when it comes to forthcoming products but it is furstrating when you know that the components exist. In the pc world once intel have a new chip it'll be shipping in a computer. To apple's credit their less frequent updates make product lines easier to follow. I have been looking at pc laptops on behalf of my little brother - very confusing, not sure whether one set up will run that differently to anything else and because manufacturers have so many different configs finding a review of teh exact system that you are interested in is almost impossible. I tried to convert him to macs but he wasn't having any of it - plus it is difficult to in good conscience suggest an apple laptop over a pc at present given the bag for buck involved.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
I was going to look for bargain Paris trips today!
Oh well, not so important now… i guess.

My girlfriend and I attended Apple Expo in 2003 (Stevenote) and last year (Philnote) - we thought it was going to be our 3rd autumn break in Paris in a row :(

I wonder if this means we'll see some new products announced in October or November?

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Well, this seems stupid. Considering they had booked a separate venue for it and all the rigmarole of registering for the keynote and the expo...

Whats the score - they just couldn't be bothered? New products not ready? Steve has writer's block? I'm sure some answers will come out in Q&A as they can often be quite revealing but it's still an odd move.

Not due to go anymore anyway as a new job beckons the following week and there's too much to get done, but had I booked two weeks ago as planned I would have been plenty annoyed.

All the 'great products still to come' and 'year of HD' spiel increasingly looks to be just that...

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
AlBDamned said:
Whats the score - they just couldn't be bothered? New products not ready? Steve has writer's block? I'm sure some answers will come out in Q&A as they can often be quite revealing but it's still an odd move.

Maybe he is still sulking over the whole mighty mouse multi-button mouse thing?

Come on Steve, come out of your room?
No.
Not, even for a keynote?
Eff off!

Applespider

macrumors G4
jimN said:
No.
Not, even for a keynote?
Eff off!

Steve's still going to Paris and will apparently, according to that Macworld article, take part in a Q&A with the press. It's the public keynote that has been cancelled; presumably because there's nothing new to show off. There's not even one thing, let alone one more thing.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
jimN said:
Maybe he is still sulking over the whole mighty mouse multi-button mouse thing?

No.
Not, even for a keynote?
Eff off!

LOL, 20+ years and they finally got round him. Bought one at the weekend for use at home and it's weird coming in to the office and having to use the regular one.

I don't see how Steve and other execs being at the expo will be any benefit to JoePublic (i.e. all the people who would usually go see a keynote). He'll probs be busy with meetings. We should see some good articles from the expo and it will be slightly better in the sense that there may be some surprises, but as events go, this has just had one leg and one arm pulled off it.

Victoriatus

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2002
Oulu, Finland
AlBDamned said:
Well, this seems stupid. Considering they had booked a separate venue for it and all the rigmarole of registering for the keynote and the expo...

True, and the K marked keynote badges were mailed just last week to thousands of people internationally. I got mine last Thursday. Why did they go through all that trouble and then cancel the whole thing?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
DAMN!!!

I just got my K-ticket last Friday! :mad:

Awww man, I am so disappointed. A colleague and myself plan this trip to Paris every year if we can. A nice couple of days in the French capital, and being able to watch Steve in person on stage.
No Keynote = no reason for me to go now....
En Apple Expo without Steve's speech, is just another MacExpo....

:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.