PDA

View Full Version : [tablets] Just bought a Nexus 7 32GB,Anybody Else?

tsd71
Oct 25, 2012, 05:04 PM
I am an avid Apple person, I've had every iPhone and I have the 5 now.I also have a 64GB iPad 1 that works very well. I contimplated buying the iPad Mini but with the iPhone 5 and the iPad 1 I went out on a limb and just bought a Nexus 7 32GB.

Anyone else thinking this way?

d123
Oct 25, 2012, 05:07 PM
I am an avid Apple person, I've had every iPhone and I have the 5 now.I also have a 64GB iPad 1 that works very well. I contimplated buying the iPad Mini but with the iPhone 5 and the iPad 1 I went out on a limb and just bought a Nexus 7 32GB.

Bought one when they launched the 16GB, totally despised the text input and keyboard, as well as the cheap build and washed out screen.

Sold it on within weeks.

PlutoniusX
Oct 25, 2012, 05:09 PM
Was going to get the 32gb, but I got a great deal on a used ipad 3.

seajewel
Oct 25, 2012, 05:10 PM

I think price of the 32GB is supposed to drop next week..

Rodster
Oct 25, 2012, 05:10 PM
I own 2 iPad's and pre-ordered a Nexus 7 from Office Depot's website. I should have it on Monday. It's a great deal for $249. :D

Poochi
Oct 25, 2012, 05:12 PM

I think you will get more "aye" if you asked this question in an Android forum... or Apple is really in trouble :)

lilcosco08
Oct 25, 2012, 05:12 PM
16GB is dropping $50 off the price next week

lindrelt
Oct 25, 2012, 05:21 PM
Sure... As soon as it runs iOS apps...

tsd71
Oct 25, 2012, 05:28 PM
I think price of the 32GB is supposed to drop next week..

Yes I just ordered online from Office Depot $249.00 free shipping.

seajewel
Oct 25, 2012, 05:31 PM
Yes I just ordered online from Office Depot $249.00 free shipping.

It's rumored that it will be $200 after Monday

ETA: Nvm i'm confused. maybe your order is the rumored cheaper price? Or was 32GB not even available until now? I thought the announcement was next week.

JS3
Oct 25, 2012, 05:33 PM
Nope not me. I will be ordering Ipad 4 and selling my ipad 3.

ougum
Oct 25, 2012, 05:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch)

They're not supposed to sell the 32gb till Monday. I returned my 16gb N7 a few days ago. Will pick up a 32gb when they go on sale Monday.

Russiaone
Oct 25, 2012, 06:15 PM
have had mine for a month and some and am in love with it. That being said I'm still intrigued by the iPad. Not the one with the weak ass specs, but the 4th gen. It's just too big. Especially after barely noticing my N7 in my messenger bag.

I really wish Apple would've put an A6 in the mini. Oh, well.

Nexus 7 rox.

Rodster
Oct 25, 2012, 06:39 PM
It's rumored that it will be $200 after Monday

ETA: Nvm i'm confused. maybe your order is the rumored cheaper price? Or was 32GB not even available until now? I thought the announcement was next week.

Yeah it's pretty confusing. Basically the 8GB has been dropped, the 16GB drops to $199 and the 32GB will take the place of the 16GB @ $249. :)

tsd71
Oct 25, 2012, 06:42 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch)

They're not supposed to sell the 32gb till Monday. I returned my 16gb N7 a few days ago. Will pick up a 32gb when they go on sale Monday.

I bought and paid for mine today from Office Depot Nexus 7 32GB, I'm supposed to get it Monday free shipping.

Rodster
Oct 25, 2012, 07:52 PM
One thing I really like about the Nexus 7 is Google's version of Siri, it's pretty slick and the no-bloatware is a bonus. :)

dmelgar
Oct 25, 2012, 08:02 PM
What exactly is the point of this thread on a Mac website? Why not post that on a google website? What exactly does trolling mean?

marc11
Oct 25, 2012, 08:15 PM
I waited for the mini event and based on it, decided the Nexus 7 fits my needs better. I will buy it after Monday's annoucement to see if the 16 gb is really replaced by a 32 gb and the price lowered. Eitherway I am buying a 16 gb one. I really wanted the mini to offer just a bit more; I like the camera, but really wanted true off line, no wifi GPS and a better screen for the price.

blackhand1001
Oct 25, 2012, 08:21 PM
One helpful tip. Iin developer options enable force 2d rendering. This makes some apps that don't have it enabled use it. Makes them a lot smoother. I has yet to come across any that glitch with this setting.

tsd71
Oct 25, 2012, 10:01 PM
What exactly is the point of this thread on a Mac website? Why not post that on a google website? What exactly does trolling mean?

This section of the forum is "alternatives to IOS6 and IOS Devices. That's why I posted this here. I want to see if there are other people buying the Nexus instead of the Mini.

ougum
Oct 28, 2012, 04:45 PM
I waited for the mini event and based on it, decided the Nexus 7 fits my needs better. I will buy it after Monday's annoucement to see if the 16 gb is really replaced by a 32 gb and the price lowered. Eitherway I am buying a 16 gb one. I really wanted the mini to offer just a bit more; I like the camera, but really wanted true off line, no wifi GPS and a better screen for the price.

Yep. The 16 was replaced by the 32. Bought mine at Office Depot yesterday. The 32gb was the same price as the 16gb that I returned last week.

tech4all
Oct 28, 2012, 04:52 PM
Bought one when they launched the 16GB, totally despised the text input and keyboard, as well as the cheap build and washed out screen.

Sold it on within weeks.

That's too bad as the quality is decent and my screen isn't washed out. And the text input and keyboard are pretty much the same as the iPad.

Odd :rolleyes:

Perhaps you didn't read the title if this section? :rolleyes:

daveathall
Oct 28, 2012, 04:58 PM
I must admit that I am very tempted, it will certainly be a tough decision for this or the iPad mini. I have never used stock Android and after reading these threads am very intrigued.

Rodster
Oct 28, 2012, 05:17 PM
I must admit that I am very tempted, it will certainly be a tough decision for this or the iPad mini. I have never used stock Android and after reading these threads am very intrigued.

Objectively the Nexus 7 is the better deal. For the price the iPad Mini could have been so much better. And now that Apple is pumping out new tablets throughout the year, i'll pass for now and wait for when they update the hardware and allow me to justify the price.

maflynn
Oct 28, 2012, 05:47 PM
The Nexus 7 is tempting, but I opted for the more expensive iPad mini, partly for the larger screen but mostly for the ability to run iOS apps. I'm well ingrained in the apple eco-system, but if the mini does disappoint then I'll return it and opt for a nexus

ougum
Oct 28, 2012, 06:34 PM
The Nexus 7 is tempting, but I opted for the more expensive iPad mini, partly for the larger screen but mostly for the ability to run iOS apps. I'm well ingrained in the apple eco-system, but if the mini does disappoint then I'll return it and opt for a nexus

That was the hard part for me too. I have tons of ios tablet apps. Have a ton of apps for my iphone too. I really liked my iPad 3. I like the nexus better because I can customize it.

ixodes
Oct 28, 2012, 06:48 PM
I've been enjoying a Nexus 7 for some time now. One of the best benefits is the increased pressure that Google put on Apple to get off their duff & participate in that size class. Well over a year ago when I wanted Apple to build one, all they did was put Steve on stage to badmouth it.

The moment Google released theirs I was all over it, since for my mobile needs that size is ideal. I'm also very eager for my mini to arrive.

Finally Apple caved into the lure of fast money & are in the game.

It makes me laugh that despite Apples mind boggling success they still act so immature. Recently bashing Google over the fact that theirs is 7" & Apples is larger. Reminds me of just how much fear Apple has about Android.

It's stupid really. There's plenty of room in the market for choices & different platforms. An all Apple monopoly would be dreadful.

I can't be the only one that enjoys both iOS & Android.

Yet to read some of the posts here you'd think using an Android device would shorten ones lifespan. :eek:

marc11
Oct 28, 2012, 06:57 PM
I've been enjoying a Nexus 7 for some time now. One of the best benefits is the increased pressure that Google put on Apple to get off their duff & participate in that size class. Well over a year ago when I wanted Apple to build one, all they did was put Steve on stage to badmouth it.

The moment Google released theirs I was all over it, since for my mobile needs that size is ideal. I'm also very eager for my mini to arrive.

It makes me laugh that despite Apples mind boggling success they still act so immature. Recently bashing Google over the fact that theirs is 7" & Apples is larger. Reminds me of just how much fear Apple has about Android.

It's stupid really. There's plenty of room in the market for choices & different platforms. An all Apple monopoly would be dreadful.

Yet to read some of the posts here you'd think using an Android device would shorten ones lifespan. :eek:

All Apple did in that presentation was validate the Nexus 7 as the market leader and a threat. Despite the Apple lover comments that may follow this, the fact that Apple felt required to make a direct comparison of their tablet to the Nexus just validates the Nexus is the real deal. After using one all night last night, I too am convinced the thing is pretty awesome. And with the $25 credit Google gave me, I can get all the apps I use regularly on my iPhone on my Nexus for basically nothing.

As for music, huh, well what do you know, Google has an app that loads onto your Mac and syncs your iTunes music to Google Cloud and if you want your device, so easy.

A third benefit, I used to have a Kindle Fire that I sold, almost all the apps I bought for that, I was able to transfer to the Nexus using the Amazon App Store App.

So other than iTunes tv shows and movies, I am not missing anything over an iPad. Oh and Jelly Bean, is just freaking awesom. It really makes iOS seem bland and boring.

One mans opinion anyway.

ixodes
Oct 28, 2012, 08:23 PM
All Apple did in that presentation was validate the Nexus 7 as the market leader and a threat. Despite the Apple lover comments that may follow this, the fact that Apple felt required to make a direct comparison of their tablet to the Nexus just validates the Nexus is the real deal. After using one all night last night, I too am convinced the thing is pretty awesome. And with the $25 credit Google gave me, I can get all the apps I use regularly on my iPhone on my Nexus for basically nothing.

As for music, huh, well what do you know, Google has an app that loads onto your Mac and syncs your iTunes music to Google Cloud and if you want your device, so easy.

A third benefit, I used to have a Kindle Fire that I sold, almost all the apps I bought for that, I was able to transfer to the Nexus using the Amazon App Store App.

So other than iTunes tv shows and movies, I am not missing anything over an iPad. Oh and Jelly Bean, is just freaking awesom. It really makes iOS seem bland and boring.

One mans opinion anyway.
Excellent post!

I think it's human nature to rely on old information unintentionally.

For example, many believe that Android Apps are not as good or as varied as iOS Apps. In the past that was true, today, not so much.

My personal experience using both Android & iOS concurrently for years, reveals today's Google Play Store is loaded with the same high quality titles as offered in iTunes.

Oh sure there's bound to be some written only for iOS simply because they were the first. Or because the developer only writes for one platform. But overall the choices for both are excellent.

mantan
Oct 28, 2012, 08:33 PM

Very true. I'm amazed how many people act like they want Apple (or any other company) to dominate the market.

While it's human nature to want to feel validated in your purchase decisions, the absolute best thing for consumers is competition. Before Android was considered a legitimate threat, Apple was dragging their feet giving simple features like Cut/Copy/Paste and MMS. When Android was considered a threat, they pulled out all the stops and released the iPhone 4....a HUGE jump over the previous model.

Apple made a tactical error by sitting out the 7 inch market and letting others gain traction. The original Kindle Fire was a poor effort. But by all accounts the new one is pretty good. And Google has released a VERY nice device with the Nexus 7.

If they want to go for the jugular, they need to address the myths that scare people away. Namely that people aren't as 'ensnared' in the Apple ecosystem is they think they are. For a lot of people there music can transfer directly to a Google device. I would suspect most users have a core set of apps they use most often that are covered in the $25 Google play card. When I thought about switching I took a look at the 100+ apps on my phone and realized I really only use about 40 apps on a regular basis. Well over half of them (banking, social media, news, entertainment, Netflix, etc) are free.

I'd originally wanted an iPad mini for an entertainment device to use when I traveled....but after seeing the $329 price I'm strongly thinking about the 16 gig Nexus 7 instead.

3bs
Oct 28, 2012, 08:53 PM

As always, anyone outside of the US is left out.. Google Music officially only works in the US but there are ways around it and they're definitely worth exploring because Google Music is awesome!

marc11
Oct 28, 2012, 09:32 PM
As always, anyone outside of the US is left out.. Google Music officially only works in the US but there are ways around it and they're definitely worth exploring because Google Music is awesome!

Yeah it is a bit of a bummer for people outside of the USA on that, but blame the content "owners". It is utter crap, you bought the music, you should be able to listen to it whereever, on whatever, whenever you want.

onthecouchagain
Oct 28, 2012, 09:59 PM
If I can catch a holiday deal, I don't know how I can say no to a 32GB Nexus 7. I still can't really justify such an intermediary device (between a Galaxy Nexus and my iPad 3) but if the price gets better than the soon-to-be $250, will be impossible to resist...

Rodster
Oct 28, 2012, 10:03 PM
If I can catch a holiday deal, I don't know how I can say no to a 32GB Nexus 7. I still can't really justify such an intermediary device (between a Galaxy Nexus and my iPad 3) but if the price gets better than the soon-to-be $250, will be impossible to resist...

http://teamwarriorbody.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/nike1.jpg

onthecouchagain
Oct 28, 2012, 10:57 PM
Image (http://teamwarriorbody.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/nike1.jpg)

Ha, nice.

B-b-b-b-but the nexus 4! I want to save my money for that maybe...?

raymanster
Oct 29, 2012, 05:54 AM
I bought a 16 GB Nexus 7 in early September after seeing my nephew's. Sort of got it as a stop gap as my iPad 1 is really slow these days and crashy. While it's not as polished as iOS it really is a great device for the money.

I'm bridging the gap by using apps such as SmoothSync to sync my iCloud emails, contacts and calendars. Seems to work well. I also just installed Plex media server on my Macbook and the Plex client on my Nexus. This let's me listen to my iTunes music (streamed over the network).

I do eventually want to get a new full size iPad, but will wait until next year sometime to see what happens. Will still keep the Nexus though.

TG1
Oct 29, 2012, 09:06 AM
Very tempted to try the 16 gb at the new $199 price point. Intrigued to try the stock Android experience and this seems like a great bargain.