PDA

View Full Version : Having to set the time every reboot

powerpcguy
Oct 25, 2012, 05:37 PM
In both my 17" PB and my PM I have to reset the time everytime it hasn't been booted in a bit. Is this a PRAM Battery issue? Will it negatively effect anything if I just leave this alone and don't change the battery?

Thank you for any help!

MultiFinder17
Oct 25, 2012, 05:40 PM
Yup, that's a sign of a dead PRAM battery. There's not much harm other than the time issue in leaving the dead one in there, but do be aware that some PowerPC Macs tend to have issues booting with a dead PRAM battery. They're cheap, so you may as well replace it if you're handy with a screwdriver and little things.

powerpcguy
Oct 25, 2012, 05:53 PM
Ah! This makes sense. I have to unplug and plug back in my PowerMac with every boot. I was worried, but now just think this is a battery issue. Cool. I know switching this out on this computer is easy, but what about the PB? I've changed a HD in my 12", so it couldn't be more difficult than this could it?

orestes1984
Oct 25, 2012, 09:56 PM
There's not much harm other than the time issue

In Macs that actually have a battery it can corrode the motherboard if the battery is dead... best change it or at least take it out.

4JNA
Oct 25, 2012, 09:56 PM
...I know switching this out on this computer is easy, but what about the PB? I've changed a HD in my 12", so it couldn't be more difficult than this could it?

the guide from ifixit is HERE (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+PowerBook+G4+Aluminum+17-Inch+1-1.67+GHz+PRAM+Battery+%26+USB+Board/249/1) and is rated as difficulty: moderate for whatever that means. should be about the same as the hard drive since you need to remove about the same amount of stuff to get to either. best of luck.

powerpcguy
Oct 25, 2012, 11:47 PM
Excellent.

I've decided to change out the battery in the Power Mac. It's super cheap and easy, but leave the dead battery in the PowerBook. Don't really want to go through the hassle....

...though, I am a bit concerned that it could leak/explode/etc. What are the chances of this? Any one know of any cases where this has happened?

4JNA
Oct 26, 2012, 10:49 AM
Excellent.

I've decided to change out the battery in the Power Mac. It's super cheap and easy, but leave the dead battery in the PowerBook. Don't really want to go through the hassle....

...though, I am a bit concerned that it could leak/explode/etc. What are the chances of this? Any one know of any cases where this has happened?

that's what i'd do as well. at this point the world will end or the PB will die before that battery is an issue. i've seen leaks, but in systems that were in storage for several years and not being used. no explosions, but that would be cool, not for you so much... if it does, post the video, it'll go viral, you'll make enough money to buy a new laptop, problem solved!

tell the PB to sync the time/date automatically with apple.com (date/time in preference pane) and the clock will fix itself everytime you boot and connect to the web. that's what i do with my pismo that i took the battery out of 10+ years ago. best of luck.

cocacolakid
Oct 26, 2012, 06:23 PM
The only PRAM battery I've ever seen leak was an original 1984 Macintosh 128 that had sat without use for a few years. I've never had one leak in a PPC. Die? Yes, plenty of them. But not leak, so I wouldn't worry much about that.

Intell
Oct 26, 2012, 06:49 PM
In Macs that actually have a battery it can corrode the motherboard if the battery is dead... best change it or at least take it out.

Only the batteries in the pre-PowerPC Macs leaked. Apple started using 6 volt Rayovac ones to stop the leaking problem. Those don't leak unless shorted out. And the lithium ones that are shaped like cylinders don't leak at all. Sealed lithium batteries like that and coin ones are very hard, near impossible, to make leak. This is because they were designed to be used in pacemakers. They have a long life and are very safe because of this.

The Powerbook's clock shouldn't reset like that. If the PRAM battery is dead, the machine will use the main laptop battery to keep the clock running. And you mentioned that your PowerMac needed to be unplugged after each reboot, that could be caused by the early stages of a dieing power supply.