PDA

View Full Version : Go to you neighborhood Apple store now!!


Mr. Anderson
Nov 22, 2002, 07:02 PM
Ok, had to go shopping with the wife this evening, and happened to find myself at the Clarendon Apple store. It seems that they're cleaning the shelves a bit and getting rid of old stock. Lots of silly software titles - I got Tomb Raider Chronicals for 9.95 and this is the biggy - a Palm m125 for $89!! Brand new, never been opened - its for the wife who's old handspring died and had almost bought the same one earlier at Staples for 130!

They had a Graphire Tablet, Gravis Game Pads and some Bose headphones on the table as well, all priced to go. And some software was mostly 9.95 but some were a little more depending on the title, but all were steals!

I'm thinking all the Apple stores might be cleaning their shelves, so if you get a chance, check it out.

D :D

vniow
Nov 22, 2002, 07:06 PM
Wow that's pretty cool.

I wonder what they're clearing out for, some major shipments of the new 'books maybe, but you said it was software so this is pretty interesting.

Wish there was something closer than Palo Alto.http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/veronica/damn.gif

Rower_CPU
Nov 22, 2002, 08:04 PM
Hmmm, I've had my eye on one of those 4x5 tablets for a while...and we're going to the mall tomorrow anyway...

Thanks for the heads-up, D!

MrMacMan
Nov 22, 2002, 08:20 PM
Cool or they are preparing for the invasion of AMD POWERED MACS!!!! (see apple insert)
I wounderful little comparison chart INTILL (insert scary don-don-don music) THE OTHERS CATORIGY "Amd SUPPORT" (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/compare.html)
Thats right, AMD support what the hell is that supposto means?
HUH?

Rower_CPU
Nov 22, 2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Cool or they are preparing for the invasion of AMD POWERED MACS!!!! (see apple insert)
I wounderful little comparison chart INTILL (insert scary don-don-don music) THE OTHERS CATORIGY "Amd SUPPORT" (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/compare.html)
Thats right, AMD support what the hell is that supposto means?
HUH?

That's weird...although AMD should be all caps if it's actually that.

Any other explanantions? You also might want to post this in a more appropriate thread.

Backtothemac
Nov 22, 2002, 08:41 PM
Duke,
Did they have Jedi Knight II? If so, and it is cheap grab it for me and I will drop you the cash.

Durandal7
Nov 22, 2002, 08:51 PM
The whole Amd thing is nothing. It stands for auto-mount-drive, a feature of UNIX that mounts a remote drive as a local drive on boot-up.

Mr. Anderson
Nov 22, 2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Duke,
Did they have Jedi Knight II? If so, and it is cheap grab it for me and I will drop you the cash.

If that was there or anything but Anakin's Speeder Shop - Build and Race Game, I would have gotten it. They had many educational titles, Starry Night Expolorer, Dreamweaver, CodeWarrior lite, and a whole bunch of other titles. I imagine it will be different from store to store.

I got lucky and showed up right when they were putting it all out.

D :D

Choppaface
Nov 22, 2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Cool or they are preparing for the invasion of AMD POWERED MACS!!!! (see apple insert)
I wounderful little comparison chart INTILL (insert scary don-don-don music) THE OTHERS CATORIGY "Amd SUPPORT" (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/compare.html)
Thats right, AMD support what the hell is that supposto means?
HUH?


I like how they claim that 10.1 doesn't have a firewall in that chart even though that was one of the things they marketed from the start :D

Rower_CPU
Nov 22, 2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Choppaface
I like how they claim that 10.1 doesn't have a firewall in that chart even though that was one of the things they marketed from the start :D

I don't seem to recall that they ever said 10.1 didn't have a firewall. It did, the same one that's in 10.2 (ipfw). They just added a GUI for it in 10.2.

scem0
Nov 23, 2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Durandal7
The whole Amd thing is nothing. It stands for auto-mount-drive, a feature of UNIX that mounts a remote drive as a local drive on boot-up.

awwwwwww you ruined one of the few things the pro-AMDers had
going for them :( ... I guess we will see what happens.

Choppaface
Nov 23, 2002, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU


I don't seem to recall that they ever said 10.1 didn't have a firewall. It did, the same one that's in 10.2 (ipfw). They just added a GUI for it in 10.2.

in the above link is a chart where they claim that 10.0 and 10.1 did not have firewalls; in my previous post I said that those versions did, indeed they even used the firewall in their previous marketing. no, there was no GUI... my point is that on a sheet that compares 10.0/10.1 to 10.2, such incorrect documentation could be read as a marketing trick

upon further inspection, they also claim that 10.0 and 10.1 didn't support Perl, which is not true, because I used it when I had 10.1.

Rower_CPU
Nov 23, 2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Choppaface
in the above link is a chart where they claim that 10.0 and 10.1 did not have firewalls; in my previous post I said that those versions did, indeed they even used the firewall in their previous marketing. no, there was no GUI... my point is that on a sheet that compares 10.0/10.1 to 10.2, such incorrect documentation could be read as a marketing trick

upon further inspection, they also claim that 10.0 and 10.1 didn't support Perl, which is not true, because I used it when I had 10.1.

Of course it's a marketing trick. The firewall was there, but not activated by default and it had no GUI, and given the limited space for detail in the list, they can get away with saying 10.0/10.1 had no firewall.

As for Perl, was it installed by default? Was it enabled by default? Again, they have leeway there if it wasn't.

Rower_CPU
Nov 23, 2002, 09:40 PM
Back on topic...

I stopped by our local AppleStore and picked up a Graphire2 4x5 for $80. $20 cheaper than normal, only difference I see is they've changed the color of new ones to white.

Thanks for the heads-up, D! :D

[edit: Since I've never used a tablet before, it's pretty interesting working with the handwriting recognition...here's what it thinks of "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog":
The quick brown & ox jump _ ed Over the lazy dog .

Not bad, but I have to slow down and separate my letters more so than usual. Anyway, it's pretty cool. :) ]

Mr. Anderson
Nov 23, 2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Back on topic...

I stopped by our local AppleStore and picked up a Graphire2 4x5 for $80. $20 cheaper than normal, only difference I see is they've changed the color of new ones to white.

Fantastic Rower!!! I'm glad I was able to get the word out. Very cool that all the stores seem to be partaking in the clearing of the shelves. Have to remember this for next year - week before Thanksgiving.....:D

D

Rower_CPU
Nov 23, 2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Fantastic Rower!!! I'm glad I was able to get the word out. Very cool that all the stores seem to be partaking in the clearing of the shelves. Have to remember this for next year - week before Thanksgiving.....:D

D

Hopefully some other people managed to get out and get some good deals, too.

I'm considering going down to the store on Friday for the big Thanksgiving event...might win an iMac, and since I missed the grand opening last Thanksgiving and the Jaguar release party, it would be nice to show up for some sort of big event. ;)

Mr. Anderson
Nov 23, 2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

it would be nice to show up for some sort of big event. ;)

It was mayhem and you'll find you're not the biggest Mac Geek out there. I'm not going, it won't be all that great, especially dealing with the crowds.

But if you go, post the event from the store - and take a pic if you can :D

D

Rower_CPU
Nov 24, 2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
It was mayhem and you'll find you're not the biggest Mac Geek out there. I'm not going, it won't be all that great, especially dealing with the crowds.

But if you go, post the event from the store - and take a pic if you can :D

D

Sounds like a plan. Will do if I go. :)