Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wingate.white

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I have a rMBP 2.6-16-512 and I would like to partition it and be able to dual boot with windows 8 via bootcamp. I've been looking for a copy of windows 8 to purchase but so far all I have seen is upgrades from a previous edition, nothing to install from scratch. Could someone please link me to what I need?

Sgtarky

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
Benton, Arkansas
if it is like vista or 7 first you install it without the key..it will do a a full install as an upgrade...then when in windows. do an upgrade install and put the key in. just guessing that 8 will do the same.

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
if it is like vista or 7 first you install it without the key..it will do a a full install as an upgrade...then when in windows. do an upgrade install and put the key in. just guessing that 8 will do the same.

Alas no, it won't. You need an activated instance of a qualifying version of Windows in place first. Once the installation wizard has qualified your instance of Windows to be upgraded, you can elect to do an in place upgrade or a custom install whereby you can format the drive/partition and then install Win8.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
It's a shame they just don't tune the installer so that you enter the vista/xp/7 key first and then the 8 key before install. Such a complex solution to a simple problem.

Soundflunky

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2012
This might sound odd, but if you pirate it, and attempt to activate it, there's an option to buy a license. I'm not sure if that's something everyone sees before inputting their code, and if you can still proceed with pirating it, because since I actually wanted to buy it, I took that option and paid with PayPal. I also got a link to download a legit copy and there was an option (which I didn't take) of having a DVD copy shipped.

Just plain odd that they don't offer a way of getting it directly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.