PDA

View Full Version : iMac G4 - Dead Soldered RAM

rjcalifornia
Oct 26, 2012, 11:51 AM
So, I forgot to ask this haha Ok, my iMac has a dead soldered RAM, the one that comes built in. Is there something I can do about it or should I get a 1GB RAM?

Currently it has 512 MB and running Tiger. It runs fast though, even Office 2008 runs fast.

Intell
Oct 26, 2012, 12:32 PM
G4 iMacs don't hav soldered ram. They have two ram slots. One desktop stick inside and one laptop stock underneigth. You can change out the internal desktop stick by opening the dome. But you must reapply the thermal paste to the one or two contact points or it will overheat.

4JNA
Oct 26, 2012, 01:10 PM
ifixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iMac+G4+15-Inch+700+MHz+EMC+1873+Internal+RAM/6668/1) guide with pictures for the win!

ihuman:D
Oct 26, 2012, 02:14 PM
ifixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iMac+G4+15-Inch+700+MHz+EMC+1873+Internal+RAM/6668/1) guide with pictures for the win!

Would this work on a last rev. 17''? And would I have to reapply thermal paste using this method?

sikkinixx
Oct 26, 2012, 02:30 PM
Would this work on a last rev. 17''? And would I have to reapply thermal paste using this method?

I did it on mine so yes. And yes reapply the thermal paste. It's not difficult and costs less than $5.

ihuman:D
Oct 26, 2012, 02:42 PM
I did it on mine so yes. And yes reapply the thermal paste. It's not difficult and costs less than $5.

Great, thanks :) !

rjcalifornia
Oct 26, 2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks! I didn't know it was not soldered :D I think I have one from an old computer I have in a corner :D

Ok, for my iMac, do I have to apply thermal paste? Where do I have to apply it?

Intell
Oct 26, 2012, 06:41 PM

Read my post and look at the link in 4JNA's post.

rjcalifornia
Oct 26, 2012, 11:54 PM
Read my post and look at the link in 4JNA's post.

I read your comment and the guide, opened my iMac but can't see where I can you know put the thermal paste :(

MultiFinder17
Oct 27, 2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks! I didn't know it was not soldered :D I think I have one from an old computer I have in a corner :D

If you have the older 15" iMac that is used in that iFixit post, you don't need to reapply any thermal paste. If you have a 17" or larger iMac, you'll need to check the appropriate iFixit manual.

Intell
Oct 27, 2012, 08:49 AM
If you have the older 15" iMac that is used in that iFixit post, you don't need to reapply any thermal paste. If you have a 17" or larger iMac, you'll need to check the appropriate iFixit manual.

The thermal paste must be reapplied for every G4 iMac. Failure to do so will cause overheating. 1Ghz and 1.25Ghz machines have contact points that need it. 700Mhz and 800Mhz machines have one. The OEM stuff is a black rubber like substance. It doesn't work once it has been undone. It must be scraped off and have new stuff applied. Make sure you scrape off both sides of the contact point and apply new paste to only one side.

rjcalifornia
Oct 27, 2012, 11:20 AM
The thermal paste must be reapplied for every G4 iMac. Failure to do so will cause overheating. 1Ghz and 1.25Ghz machines have contact points that need it. 700Mhz and 800Mhz machines have one. The OEM stuff is a black rubber like substance. It doesn't work once it has been undone. It must be scraped off and have new stuff applied. Make sure you scrape off both sides of the contact point and apply new paste to only one side.

Do you have any pictures of that? I am... blind? :(

Intell
Oct 27, 2012, 11:27 AM
Do you have any pictures of that? I am... blind? :(

Blind isn't the word I'd choose. Locate the CPU. It's heatsink is the one held on with a bracket going diagonally across the top of it. It is not the big heatsink in the centre of the board. There is one heatpipe going away from the CPU towards the outside of rim of the dome. It will come to a stop at a block of metal about the size of your thumb. If you look at the top half, you'll see another block of metal the same shape. There may be a hole in this block of metal. That block of metal is the thermal contact point. Your iMac has one.

rjcalifornia
Oct 27, 2012, 04:21 PM
Blind isn't the word I'd choose. Locate the CPU. It's heatsink is the one held on with a bracket going diagonally across the top of it. It is not the big heatsink in the centre of the board. There is one heatpipe going away from the CPU towards the outside of rim of the dome. It will come to a stop at a block of metal about the size of your thumb. If you look at the top half, you'll see another block of metal the same shape. There may be a hole in this block of metal. That block of metal is the thermal contact point. Your iMac has one.

I am so confused right now that I don't know where to begin :( Honestly I can't see it and now my dad needs it :(