Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhalgren13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
New poster, so be patient :)

I have an iMac G5 (20 inch, 2004) given to me which I plan to let the children use.

The previous hard drive seemed to fail. I replaced it with a 3.5 '' SATA. I have the original install CD; however, the computer does not recognize the install cd so that I can install the system. I get instead the folder and question mark icons.

Based on my research, I think there is a firmware password in place that is not allowing the computer to recognize the new drive. I do get the lock and the right arrow icon. When, as instructed by one site, I pulled out the RAM and attempted to reset the PRAM (which was to erase the password), rather than get the multiple chimes, I only heard something more like a tone. Even though I held down the four keys for a few minutes, there was no second sound. I replaced the RAM and attempted to install using the original DVD again, and nothing changed: I was still greeted by the smiling folder and the question mark.

Clearly, I think the problem is the firmware password. Is there a way of erasing it (I don't think tracking down the original owner is an option).

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
Obvious questions, but I'll ask:

If you hold down the option key with the install CD inserted while booting, does the CD show as a boot option?

Are you sure it's the correct install CD for this model?

Is the new hard drive partitioned with the Apple partition scheme selected rather than the GUID scheme?

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
New poster, so be patient :)

I have an iMac G5 (20 inch, 2004) given to me which I plan to let the children use.

The previous hard drive seemed to fail. I replaced it with a 3.5 '' SATA. I have the original install CD; however, the computer does not recognize the install cd so that I can install the system. I get instead the folder and question mark icons.

Based on my research, I think there is a firmware password in place that is not allowing the computer to recognize the new drive. I do get the lock and the right arrow icon. When, as instructed by one site, I pulled out the RAM and attempted to reset the PRAM (which was to erase the password), rather than get the multiple chimes, I only heard something more like a tone. Even though I held down the four keys for a few minutes, there was no second sound. I replaced the RAM and attempted to install using the original DVD again, and nothing changed: I was still greeted by the smiling folder and the question mark.

Clearly, I think the problem is the firmware password. Is there a way of erasing it (I don't think tracking down the original owner is an option).

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

There has to be *some* RAM in the machine for it to POST. Try taking out half of the RAM (assuming it has more than one stick in it) and seeing if that helps you out. If you're taking out all of the RAM, that loud *BOOOOOOOOOOOOP* that you're hearing is your Mac telling you to put RAM in it before it can do anything.

dhalgren13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Obvious questions, but I'll ask:

If you hold down the option key with the install CD inserted while booting, does the CD show as a boot option?

Are you sure it's the correct install CD for this model?

Is the new hard drive partitioned with the Apple partition scheme selected rather than the GUID scheme?

OPTION gives me the padlock and right arrow.

The install CD is dated 2004. . . and that is the year of the computer, so I think so.

This is the HD I purchaed: link

I have NO idea which--Apple or GUID--it is after rereading the site.

Thanks for the help.

dhalgren13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
There has to be *some* RAM in the machine for it to POST. Try taking out half of the RAM (assuming it has more than one stick in it) and seeing if that helps you out. If you're taking out all of the RAM, that loud *BOOOOOOOOOOOOP* that you're hearing is your Mac telling you to put RAM in it before it can do anything.

Wonderful, that did it. I just took one out and now I am seeing the apple. I think I need to shut down and place the other ram back in before proceeding however :)

Thanks to both of you!

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
Wonderful, that did it. I just took one out and now I am seeing the apple. I think I need to shut down and place the other ram back in before proceeding however :)

Thanks to both of you!

Glad to hear it. :) Use Disk Utility from the install disk to make sure that your new hard drive is partitioned with the Apple map. In Disk Utility, click on the hard drive, change the partition layout from current to read one partition, and from the options button choose Apple partition map. You won't be able to install/boot without doing this. The disk is probably not partitioned, as it came direct from a store.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
One last thing to check - is the install disk that you're using grey with some text, or is it a retail OS X disk? They grey ones are machine-specific, so if you're using one of those, make sure that you're using the proper one for your computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.