Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
According to this CNet article, users are buying higher end machines... at least based on the limited evidence from the last 3 months of 2001:

Many consumers have been purchasing desktops with memory allotments of 256MB or more and hard drive sizes of 60GB to 80GB or even more. The buyers often paired those features with flat-panel displays--which doubled in sales in 2001--wireless networking equipment, and DVD recordable drives. At retail, sales of notebooks, more expensive than desktops, are also on the rise.

Sounds like an iMac... :)

U

Unregistered

It may sound like an iMac...

It may sound like an iMac, but could you just image how great it would be if Apple actually had pro towers that had any serious ability whatsoever! Wow, people would actually get what they *wanted* instead of buying whatever underpowered, last year's technology at double the price, pretty-cased machines Apple chose to dump on their unfortunately loyal customers. Wow, would that be great!

Go Apple go; suck that 30% margin dry as long as you can -- it won't be there for long.

U

Unregistered

underpowered?

Yeah, that guy has an itch somewhere he can't reach!? Aww, poor baby... didn't get what *he* *wanted*

Funny, I have an iBook with a 500MHz G3 and I don't feel that it is "underpowered" at all; works fine for me. I recently purchased a digital camera and have been making movies with iMovie and sure it takes it's time processing effects, but it's certainly capable of such a task. I would love to have a system with a 700MHz G4!!! Or even better an 800MHz G4 with a built-in DVD burner. Sounds like a sweet deal to me.

U

Unregistered

underpowered?

Yeah, that guy has an itch somewhere he can't reach!? Aww, poor baby... didn't get what *he* *wanted*

Funny, I have an iBook with a 500MHz G3 and I don't feel that it is "underpowered" at all; works fine for me. I recently purchased a digital camera and have been making movies with iMovie and sure it takes it's time processing effects, but it's certainly capable of such a task. I would love to have a system with a 700MHz G4!!! Or even better an 800MHz G4 with a built-in DVD burner. Sounds like a sweet deal to me.

U

Unregistered

What's the deal? In a worsening economy it's logic that low end gets a bigger kick then top end.

U

Unregistered

Uh, duh? That's because all those features are becoming "standard" on the mid-level PC system. People aren't seeking out these systems. They're walking into the store intent on spending the same amount of money that would have gotten them a lot less last year and the sales people are getting them to spend it. It's just that $1,500 buys a whole lot more these days. Idiot.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Yeah... the tech industry is constanly evolving... so called "high-end" machine half a year ago... A high end machine today has about a gig of ram 2 ghz (if an intel), GeForce 3 etc...

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
the need for speed

what is pretty interesting is the actual need for these "high end" machines...

many consumers & users complain about not getting enough power, speed, etc....but do they honestly need it? I would love to get my hands on a G4 867....but quite honestly, I do completely well with my 400....

I know this post will get some huffs & puffs but it's something to consider...

so fire away at me!!;)

cplmd

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2001
Louisiana
No you are absolutely right, iArt

When you think about what computers have turned into,
I remember when I made my first one it was for word processing and spreadsheets. You can still do both of those on a 100Mhz pentium or hell my still working Mac Clas sic SE.

What computers have become are communication devices, consider, how useful is your new computer without Internet access???

So even for web browsing and e-mail - is a 2 GHz monster with 1 GB RAM and 100 GB hard drive needed? No.

Now if it's a server handleing 100 requests a second then yes but in the PERSONAL computer area - I hope to see things getting SIMPLER and CHEAPER. Why? So you can have devices that do one thing REALLY REALLY well (think a PlayStation or Xbox or iPod) or more than one that's REALLY REALLY convenient to have all the time, like a PDA slate (as i duck under the table ;) to access movie times, directions, news, e-mail.

just a thought.... :D

G

greenplacticcup

a year from now, people will be whining that they dont' have 3 ghz machines availible to them, and saying how d r e a d f u l l y s l o w their 1.4GHz machines are. People always complain. A year ago, it was whining they didn't have something as fast as what is now available. (dual 800).

I really like my g4/466. The only thing I wish I had right now was a flat screen. 22" display still (2+years later) is something I have my eyes on (I wish!)

cheers.

-----
color cl***ic, ibook 500, g4/466, g4/400
-----

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
People are never satisfied... and that's actually a good thing. It's what stimulates growth in the ecconomy. The day everything is perfect and everyone is happy we can all go home... because we're out of work.

Today's PCs (especially Macs) are not fast enough. They never will be. There will always be a demand for something faster.

I don't subscribe to the popular aguement that we don't need more powerful processors these days. Even a home user needs a faster chip these days if they're going to get a reasonable experience out of OS X - Aqua is *SO* processor intensive.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a good thing. OS X has been designed with the Processor of the future in mind, and it's all part of the process of fuelling future demand.

U

Unregistered

underpowered depends on the big picture

If you just look at hardware, Apple's PowerMac G4s are pretty much underpowered... I mean, I recently built an Athlon XP 1600 based system with high-end parts all through it for about $850, including the $199 for Windows XP Pro. In fairness, it would have cost $1000 if I put Gigabit Ethernet in it.

But, the lucky folks who get to use it, unfortunately, have to use Windows to get anything out of it. This means all kinds of things like:
- There's no way to make a window zoom to a logical size... It either takes over the whole screen, or is minimized, or is just randomly placed.
- Screen real estate is wasted because child windows are forced to stay within the bounds of their parent window.
- They can't drag things around their hard drive and expect them to still work, because the paths linking programs to libraries are cryptically written into a database called the registry.
- It takes a control panel to remove programs correctly without polluting the system with junk, but the operating system lets new or careless users throw things out incorrectly anyway.

I suppose I could go on. It would be really nice if Apple could make it possible to buy or build a system with the power of a Tyan based Dual Athlon system... Even better if they made it possible at the < $1500 price point that is possible on Pentium compatible hardware. But, the fact that Apple's hardware runs Mac OS pretty much makes it beat anything out there.

(I won't even go into Notebooks... The best Wintel portables don't even come close!)

Cheers

I

iSteve

iMac sucks big time. Where are the GHz Pro towers?

Get a life, lemurs. Apple blew it big time by introducing gay iMac instead of anticipated Pro towers.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
-iSteve

If you don't have anything to Add, kindly shut your sphincter.

Talking anuses do better when they learn the value of silence: All that comes out is stinky hot air and rude noises.:p

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
need for power

is driven by gaming software

major titles like microsoft office and microsoft works do not drive the hardware to go faster even though they are the most common titles in the computer store

but home based games like tomb raider and castle wofenstein, and others, seem inadequate when used with the current top of the line computers on the shelf today which don't kick out the frames per second that we crave for

due to the huge gaming industry and the money generated in high tech due to home gaming, the pc and mac business has a market and a market the pushes the need for faster hardware

if it was only ilm, adobe software, scientific labs, and autocad, then the machines would probably be built on site (or ordered thru a professional trade industry catalog at astronomical prices) on a custom basis and we consumers would never see anything cutting edge

...so let us give thanks to those time wasting computer games

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
iSteve

first off.....nice original name.... :rolleyes:

second....why don't u eat my iPoop.... :D

third.....there is no third....just couldn't have 2!

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
but it would add confusion to the reason why Apple changed their logo from rainbow to all white....

:D ha ha ha.....

sorry just had to jump in on it....

HumanJHawkins

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2001
Hood River, OR
Yes, the average person NEEDS more CPU speed

Hi,

I have to say, that most people are spending more and more time in front of their computers... On the order of 2 hours a day average, with some people spending more time than that.

I won't go into details, because it is boring and not all that important anyway, but even a tiny speed up for the average user will add up to 30+ hours saved over the course of a year.

But much more importantly than the time savings is the comfort factor... Who cares about "need" as it has been described. If I do something every day for two hours, I need just about anything that makes it more pleasant... Yeah, I may not die because I have to wait 6 seconds for MS Word to load, but it is so much nicer to be able to just click the icon and have it spring up in front of me... It should be waiting on me, not the other way around.

Frankly, life is too short to endure even minor annoyances every day.

K

Kiera

Duh! It's all part of the game!

I see lots of people complaining about the new iMac and the lack of the intro of new pro machines, get over it! This is the time for the home consumer to focus on the consumer machines. My Grandma is looking at upgrading from her old Performa to a new mac. She looked at the difference between the Pro machines and the new iMac and immediately asked me why anybody would pay all that extra money for those (big bulky) Macs when the new one was such a good deal. She has already ordered hers. I imagine that this is exactly the kind of reaction that Apple was hoping for. What better way to have a hit on your hands than to make people an offer they find hard to refuse?

The timing also makes sense if you think about about it like this.

Adobe has said that Photoshop for OS X should be out at the end of this quarter (march/april). It totally makes sense for Apple to announce the new Pro level macs during that timeframe because that will be when the pro market will start seriously upgrading to OS X (many high-end shops have not upgraded yet simply because Photoshop run in cl***ic on top of OS X is painful and slow) and also when they may start looking at upgrading the hardware to run the new system (what better excuse is there?). I am sure that there will be plenty of fanfare and interest raising for the new Photoshop and how the new G5s are just what you need to really max out the new features.

Look how popular the rumor sites for Apple are. How dissappointed are you if there is no good news or gossip about Apple/products out there for months at a time? (be honest!) If Apple only announced new products once (or twice) a year people would be even more disappointed than if there is always something right around the corner. This kind of timing keeps the hype going (one dribble at a time) on the new lineup...

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
photoshop X and a g5 coming out at the same time will be a revolution and anybody on the fence who thought of using photoshop on a wintel will think twice and think different

hey, i hit 100 posts

again

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Re: It may sound like an iMac...

Originally posted by Unregistered
It may sound like an iMac, but could you just image how great it would be if Apple actually had pro towers that had any serious ability whatsoever! Wow, people would actually get what they *wanted* instead of buying whatever underpowered, last year's technology at double the price, pretty-cased machines Apple chose to dump on their unfortunately loyal customers. Wow, would that be great!

Go Apple go; suck that 30% margin dry as long as you can -- it won't be there for long.

How does the dual G4 800 lack "serious ability"? Please explain.

blakespot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.