PDA

View Full Version : eMacs with new price!

iJon
Nov 22, 2002, 10:11 PM
I went to my parents apple store today and was informed that emacs have a new price. Regular price plus a 100 dollar mail in rebate. Thats really good. maybe they want to get rid of existing emacs to make room for new ones, guess we will have to wait and see. thought i would let you guys know this because on some other threads people were talking about how they wanted lower prices on the emacs. here is the promo link.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/172/wo/ax3ngxfP4L6R3WHXyfbROG9BOqE/1.3.0.3.27.3.0.eMacJingleBellsPromo.0.0.6.0

iJon

dricci
Nov 22, 2002, 11:52 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the eMac prices even get lower and lower (without rebates) to take the place of the old G3 iMacs. God knows we need a decent sub-$1,000 consumer machine.

Fipher
Nov 23, 2002, 02:13 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the eMac prices even get lower and lower (without rebates) to take the place of the old G3 iMacs. God knows we need a decent sub-$1,000 consumer machine.

I could agree with you more. I wander how many people buy the old G3 iMacs anyways, hmm. I don't sapose there are any people out there who have that information, is there?

iMax
Nov 23, 2002, 08:16 AM
Is there any speculation, so far, on what the new specs af the next generation of iMac/eMacs will be?

They've been sitting at 700/800 mhz with a 100mhz system bus for a year now, so I'd be pretty willing to guess that they'll jump up to 1ghz... But what about a 133mhz bus? Now that the towers have moved up to a 167mhz bus, why not push the iMacs and the eMacs up a bit?

Although, another possibility would be that the eMac only moves up 100 mhz or keeps the same bus, but drops 100-200 bucks in price to replace the iMac. What'dyou guys think?

beez7777
Nov 23, 2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by iMax
Although, another possibility would be that the eMac only moves up 100 mhz or keeps the same bus, but drops 100-200 bucks in price to replace the iMac. What'dyou guys think?

i agree. i think if they were to lower the price of the eMac, rather than make it faster it would be better, especially i the iMac goes to 1 ghz. an $800 or $900 eMac would be the perfect machine for a lot of people, especially those who want to make the switch, but don't wanna dish out 1100. then those who want a little more speed can get the iMac. they would sell like there's no tomorrow

iJon
Nov 23, 2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Fipher

I could agree with you more. I wander how many people buy the old G3 iMacs anyways, hmm. I don't sapose there are any people out there who have that information, is there?
We have a couple left at our store. I think we have 1 or 2 boxed up and 1 on display. the last one we sold was to my school newspaper because they just needed another computer and they didnt have a lot of money to spend. some people who just need a computer, want a cheap one and want a mac just go for the g3 imac, its perfect for them. but i dont think we will carry anymore in stock, we will just order them for people who want them. I really think the imac is due for a major upgrade, it has been the same for a year now with just price changes.

iJon

TimDaddy
Nov 23, 2002, 01:55 PM
I don't have any specifics, but going by what I read around June or July, the G3 iMacs were actually selling quite well. At that time, they said that sales hadn't really dropped at all since the release of the G4 iMac. It is a pretty little computer, and for a Mac, dirt cheap. I hear Jaguar makes them run fairly quickly. I'd like to see it stick around and the price keep on dropping, even if it isn't updated much.

backspinner
Nov 23, 2002, 04:22 PM
With enough memory, the Classic iMac runs OS X pretty good (I sold one to my girlfriend (so I *have* to say this to keep her happy :-)).

Normaly, rebates are only to speed up sales. They hope that not everybody will send in the coupon and make some money that way. Only the clever buyers will make use of it. Remember that the majority of buyers is not really clever and don't now about rumors and info like this.