Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Noticed that you can see lots of orange/red dots indicating traffic problems not just on major roads but many surface streets that don’t have traffic reporting info. I’m assuming all this info is obtained from iOS devices “stuck in traffic”. How many “samples” does Apple Maps require before reporting a traffic problem (1, 3, 5, 10...)? Are there algorithms that account (allow fewer samples) for low volume roads compared to high volume interstates?

Also when I’m biking or especially running (usually on a lower volume road) I’m sending “false” traffic report info. How is this taken into account?

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
(I can't remember where I read the first part. I don't have a source for the bottom, but I know Apple is using TomTom for something in their mapping system, and TomTom uses their IQ system for live traffic health reporting)

I think the traffic reporting only ever works when your phone is plugged into power, since it'll be using the GPS to determine your movement and it uses a bit of data.

Also, Apple isn't doing this alone. As part of their license deal with TomTom, they can correlate the two sources for more reliable data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.