Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Title says it all

Easiest way is to rip both dvd's to mkv (I suggest using MakeMKV). Use mkvtoolnix to "append" the second file to the first. Only caveat is that both files have to have the same video/audio track structure.

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
cool...I already have both ripped via Handbrake. Better to just start over using MakeMKV?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
cool...I already have both ripped via Handbrake. Better to just start over using MakeMKV?
You can try joining mp4's using mp4tools (beta). Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Watch for sync problems. The most sure way is as I stated above. I joined the LOTR extended versions BR's that way, then ran the mkv's through HB and it was flawless. It produced a small black gap between the 2 discs, which can be trimmed out depending on how anal you are. Also, it did not rename the chapters, so I used Subler to correct the chapter labels.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
on mac, dvd2onex can seamlessly join two dvd's into one before running it through hb. Cost money though. The makemkv route + mp4tools would be cheaper. I have never had dvd2onex screw up a seamless join though. Plus you can archive your dual dvd title on your hdd if you want as one dvd.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
You can try joining mp4's using mp4tools (beta). Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

Another vote for MP4tools's joining - it's the one I too use for MP4 joining. An alternative is that of iVI - see my tutorial at https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15394130 .

Note that QuickTime Pro 7 also supports joining w/o reencoding. The above-mentioned, recommended video joiners (MP4Tools, iVI), however, don't export the joined original tracks as separate ones, which makes it possible to play back these files with VLC and other players otherwise not compatible with the joined files of QT Pro 7. That is, be extremely careful when using QT Pro 7 - the joined segments might not be played on all target players.

Jim.R

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
UK

No need if you use mkvtoolnix.
Open it and add the first MP4. Then click "Append" and select the second part. Hit start, and it will spit out a MKV with the two files joined. Open the MKV with Subler and save as an MP4. Job done :cool:
I tried with MP4tools and couldn't get it to work properly. Mkvtoolnix has been flawless every time I've used it.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
"Does not work" is not much info to go on for help.

I can add one of the files but the button to join the files is grayed out, so i am not able to add the second one.

Open it and add the first MP4. Then click "Append" and select the second part. Hit start, and it will spit out a MKV with the two files joined. Open the MKV with Subler and save as an MP4. Job done :cool:
I tried with MP4tools and couldn't get it to work properly. Mkvtoolnix has been flawless every time I've used it.

i will try MKVToolnix

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I can add one of the files but the button to join the files is grayed out, so i am not able to add the second one.

i will try MKVToolnix

MKVToolnix is my preferred way of doing it. I can only speculate, but one of the problems in joining files is that both files need to be exactly the same format, i.e. video codec, # and types of audio tracks, etc. So if you are joining files from the same source, like a 2 disc movie, you should have success. If you are trying to join files from different sources, say a download and disc file, you will not have much success. And that applies to mp4tools as well as MKVToolnix.

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012

Im getting an error code 2...."Error: The track number 0 from the file '/Users/catstide/Desktop/GANGS_NY_D2.m4v' cannot be appended to the track number 0 from the file '/Users/catstide/Desktop/GANGS_NY_D1.m4v'. The track parameters do not match."

Jim.R

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
UK
Sounds like the tracks are out of order in the two MP4 files, I've seen this where the AC-3 surround tracks and stereo tracks are at different indexes.
Re-order the tracks in the MP4s in Subler so that each one has the same index in each file, then try joining them again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.