Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Hi

In a latest model i7 13" 8gb ram how many machines can run on the ssd comfortably with say 1gb ram each?

My current windows machine struggles after 3 with high disk activity being the bottle neck. My windows laptop is c2d with 5gb ram. 5400rpm drive.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I have had a Windows 7 VM with 2GB of RAM allocated to it and a Unix VM with 512MB allocated to it running at the same time. On OS X, I had Safari, iTunes, Mail, and Calendar open. Even if the system has to page out, it is not nearly as noticeable since the SSD is so fast.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Hi

In a latest model i7 13" 8gb ram how many machines can run on the ssd comfortably with say 1gb ram each?

My current windows machine struggles after 3 with high disk activity being the bottle neck. My windows laptop is c2d with 5gb ram. 5400rpm drive.

Usually 2 VM's with disk activity will grind to a halt on a platter-based drive. I have ran 4 VM's at a time on my iMac with a 240GB SSD and they handled it fine. I was CPU-limited because I have an i3.

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
My dilemma is whether to max out a new MBA and use it as sole machine, considering I will be running 4 Vms requently (normally at a desk with external monitor)

or get a base MBA for using on the sofa and save some extra cash to get a dedicated desktop machine, like an iMac.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
My dilemma is whether to max out a new MBA and use it as sole machine, considering I will be running 4 Vms requently (normally at a desk with external monitor)

or get a base MBA for using on the sofa and save some extra cash to get a dedicated desktop machine, like an iMac.

You could spec up a beast of a Windows machine for MBA money that will run multiple VM's with ease. I'm not sure using a MBA is the wisest choice of machine for what you want to do. Ok, so 1 or 2 VM's shouldn't be too much of an issue, but 4?!

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
You could spec up a beast of a Windows machine for MBA money that will run multiple VM's with ease. I'm not sure using a MBA is the wisest choice of machine for what you want to do. Ok, so 1 or 2 VM's shouldn't be too much of an issue, but 4?!

I know it doesn't sound sensible but i'm currently running that on a HP laptop, core 2 duo, 5gb ram, standard hdd. (I run a couple of machines on USB2 drive).

It's struggles but it's usable once machines have finished booting etc - I figured a macbook air 13" would still considerably improve this experience (although I had planned eliminating the USB 2 drive and run them all from SSD).

I have thought about a windows machine to run in the corner of my office and RDP to it from the macbook - this may be the best alternative. Wake on LAN would be required though to take the desktop up if I was away from home - is this possible with a time capsule?

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
I have thought about a windows machine to run in the corner of my office and RDP to it from the macbook - this may be the best alternative. Wake on LAN would be required though to take the desktop up if I was away from home - is this possible with a time capsule?

Hmmm it seems the Mac RDP client no longer "supported" since Lion....

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18140
Note Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac (version 2.1.1) is not intended for use with Mac OS X v10.7 (Lion) or later

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.