PDA

View Full Version : [iPad] Do you use a Smart Cover?

Scott2345
Oct 27, 2012, 05:02 PM
I just bought my its iPad, a 16GB refurb iPad 3 and along withy that I bought a Smart Cover. Just wondering how many of ya use Smart Cover's? And what's your feedback on them.

SandboxGeneral
Oct 27, 2012, 05:04 PM
I bought one with my iPad [3] and used it for a short while. It was ok to protect the screen and all, but I wanted something with better carrying around protection and better ability to prop it up. I use a Targus now and really like it.

charlieegan3
Oct 27, 2012, 05:05 PM
Smart case, not cover

balamw
Oct 27, 2012, 05:08 PM
I use a combination of incipio smart feather on the back with smart cover in the front on my iPad 3. Has been a great combo.

B

stevelam
Oct 27, 2012, 05:09 PM
I use a dodocase.

Scott2345
Oct 27, 2012, 05:11 PM
Smart case, not cover

I got the Smart Cover not case.

glen e
Oct 27, 2012, 05:11 PM
I use a combination of incipio smart feather on the back with smart cover in the front on my iPad 3. Has been a great combo.

B

I have gone thru about 15 cases including all the lousy, bulky wood frame cases....I keep coming back to the above...it is the best combo for slipping into a briefcase, traveling,for thinness and postions - I simply cannot beat it...for high power single business meetings, I use a spiegen valentinus....the incipio and smartcover a bit too techie for that....

Tikatika
Oct 27, 2012, 05:14 PM

B

This. (Product) Red with red smart feather back. Love it!!!

Yr Blues
Oct 27, 2012, 05:37 PM
i don't like the extra weight of the case

just smart cover

balamw
Oct 27, 2012, 06:10 PM
i don't like the extra weight of the case

just smart cover

The smart feather weighs a whopping 2.4 oz (68 g).

Coming from an iPad 1, it absolutely never bothered me.

B

Dweez
Oct 27, 2012, 06:51 PM
Smart cover plus an Incipio Smart Feather backing.

TWO2SEVEN
Oct 27, 2012, 08:21 PM
I use the Smart Cover and a Belkin Snap Shield. I really like it. I have the dark grey cover. If I did it again I'd probably go with black leather.

----------

I just bought my its iPad, a 16GB refurb iPad 3 and along withy that I bought a Smart Cover. Just wondering how many of ya use Smart Cover's? And what's your feedback on them.

What color iPad and cover did you get?

gcrr
Oct 27, 2012, 08:36 PM
I use a light grey Smart Cover with a clear Incase Magnetic Snap Case.

http://goincase.com/products/images/CL60136/detail/ipad3magneticsnapcaseclear01.jpg

Scott2345
Oct 27, 2012, 08:59 PM
I use the Smart Cover and a Belkin Snap Shield. I really like it. I have the dark grey cover. If I did it again I'd probably go with black leather.

----------

What color iPad and cover did you get?

I got the dark grey for my black iPad

Amplelink
Oct 27, 2012, 10:51 PM
I have gone thru about 15 cases including all the lousy, bulky wood frame cases....I keep coming back to the above...it is the best combo for slipping into a briefcase, traveling,for thinness and postions - I simply cannot beat it...for high power single business meetings, I use a spiegen valentinus....the incipio and smartcover a bit too techie for that....

Yup. Same here. Smart cover is quality. I can't stand the smart case. Looks tacky to me. But Apple definitely made a winner with the smart cover. I do hope they make a version of the mini smart cover for the "big iPad" soon. Would be great to do away with the metal strip.

For the back of the iPad, I have the incipio smart feather, too, but I actually don't like the locking mechanism. The beauty of the smart cover is that you can just take it on and off easily. I use a Caudabe back cover (http://www.caudabe.com/collections/ipad-accessories/products/ipad-back-cover-shell-frost) instead and it looks great to boot. The good thing is that it also covers the entire iPad. Some of those back covers

I've also tried a ********** skin (http://www.**********.net/pages/ipad-3), which works well for scratches but is useless for drops.

glen e
Oct 27, 2012, 10:59 PM
Yup. Same here. Smart cover is quality. I can't stand the smart case. Looks tacky to me. But Apple definitely made a winner with the smart cover. I do hope they make a version of the mini smart cover for the "big iPad" soon. Would be great to do away with the metal strip.

For the back of the iPad, I have the incipio smart feather, too, but I actually don't like the locking mechanism. The beauty of the smart cover is that you can just take it on and off easily. I use a Caudabe back cover (http://www.caudabe.com/collections/ipad-accessories/products/ipad-back-cover-shell-frost) instead and it looks great to boot. The good thing is that it also covers the entire iPad. Some of those back covers

I've also tried a ********** skin (http://www.**********.net/pages/ipad-3), which works well for scratches but is useless for drops.

I like that caudabe cover and it's a great price - I need it to lock on as I jam it in it a briefcase 4 times a day and without the lock the smartcover comes loose....

TWO2SEVEN
Oct 28, 2012, 09:12 AM

Good choice :)

Scott2345
Oct 28, 2012, 06:24 PM
Good choice :)

Thanks!

scorpio1973
Oct 28, 2012, 08:44 PM
Yep! I actually have 4 different colors. I use the Smart Cover + a random clear hard cover for the back that I got on eBay. It locks the Smart Cover into place like the Incipio Smart Feather. I have tried other cases, but I always go back to this combo.

mofunk
Oct 28, 2012, 08:46 PM
I think I might pick up a Smart Cover around the holidays. I don't have one. But I realize when I travel it's cool to have especially when you need to set the iPad up to view movies.

Hammie
Oct 28, 2012, 09:22 PM
I've converted all of our iPads to the Smart Case.

Now, I have a blue, green, and pink Smart Cover that I may sell. I think I will keep my black leather one, though.

TexasChemE
Oct 29, 2012, 12:58 AM

I love that case, I have one on my white iPad. The magnets on the back really help a lot.

jojoba
Oct 29, 2012, 08:12 AM
I use it, combined with a soft sleeve which fits the iPad with smart cover as well as the charger and the stylus. This set up works very well for me.

glen e
Oct 29, 2012, 08:26 AM
I used to have that fear of scratching my pad and was almost like the "anal retentive chef" off SNL (google it). I had a case, then a film protector, then a sleeve to put the whole thing in and realized I was going too far - so I settled on a smartcover and clear snap on back. Flitz and a polish rag takes off minor scratches - and I've never scratched the glass yet on 4 pads...

ask yourself if you're going too far...

ZipZap
Oct 29, 2012, 11:18 AM
My plan is to use a Glas.t and tpu back cover.

Scott2345
Oct 29, 2012, 05:20 PM
I used to have that fear of scratching my pad and was almost like the "anal retentive chef" off SNL (google it). I had a case, then a film protector, then a sleeve to put the whole thing in and realized I was going too far - so I settled on a smartcover and clear snap on back. Flitz and a polish rag takes off minor scratches - and I've never scratched the glass yet on 4 pads...

ask yourself if you're going too far...

So it never scratched your iPad? I read so many story's about scratching iPads with the Smart Cover. Any one experience that problem or know of somebody?

glen e
Oct 29, 2012, 05:28 PM
So it never scratched your iPad? I read so many story's about scratching iPads with the Smart Cover. Any one experience that problem or know of somebody?

read more carefully - I said I never scratched the glass.....

you are talking about the cover scratching the metal backing edge - I run a Carbon fiber skin to protect the back against the smartcover edge hinge.

Fattytail
Oct 30, 2012, 05:17 AM

Smart cover + Caudabe back cover here too. Nothing else needed.

rockyroad55
Oct 30, 2012, 08:50 AM
I'm only pissed a poly product red isn't available for the iPad, just in leather.

nrweaver
Oct 30, 2012, 10:29 AM
i use the grey smart cover and a clear Belkin snap case. I have never had any problem with the smart cover scratching the iPad.

Scott2345
Nov 1, 2012, 06:18 AM
I'm only pissed a poly product red isn't available for the iPad, just in leather.

Agree.

MonkeySee....
Nov 1, 2012, 06:19 AM
I got the Smart Cover not case.

Don't get the case. Its fine but not what you'd expect from Apple. Just stick with the cover.

Hammie
Nov 1, 2012, 06:30 AM
Don't get the case. Its fine but not what you'd expect from Apple. Just stick with the cover.

I think the cases are great. They fit perfectly on our iPad 2's and iPad 3's. My only fear is that it may stretch out as I take my iPad in and out of the case.

I guess we will see over time.

rockyroad55
Nov 1, 2012, 06:37 AM
Agree.

If they can do it for the baby iPad, why not the regular iPad? Maybe to attract more attention to the mini? Never understood this.

MonkeySee....
Nov 1, 2012, 06:42 AM
I think the cases are great. They fit perfectly on our iPad 2's and iPad 3's. My only fear is that it may stretch out as I take my iPad in and out of the case.

I guess we will see over time.

The cases do fit but they are not snug. There is room for the iPad to move, plus it doesn't work very well as a stand.

Sodner
Nov 1, 2012, 06:49 AM
Yep. Love the Smart Cover.

Hammie
Nov 1, 2012, 07:10 AM
The cases do fit but they are not snug. There is room for the iPad to move, plus it doesn't work very well as a stand.

I agree with the stand part. It is a little unstable. However, it is very snug. Not sure if there was a bad batch early on in the release cycle, but I have read that they were loose. The four that we have are anything but loose. They fit very tight.

TWO2SEVEN
Nov 1, 2012, 11:18 AM
i use the grey smart cover and a clear Belkin snap case. I have never had any problem with the smart cover scratching the iPad.

I have the same setup. No problems yet with the Smart Cover. My Snap Shield started cracking at the corners. Belkin replaced it for free.

Alex225
Nov 2, 2012, 06:14 AM
My partner has a smart cover on her iPad 2 and I have to say I like the idea of it, she has some crystal case on the back so it's fairly well protected.

That said she still carries it in a padded zip case when it goes into a bag for any length of time.

RiseDarthVader
Nov 2, 2012, 06:44 AM
Initially used a Switcheasy Camvas now I've gone with a SmartCover only. I realised I don't like the extra weight or covering Jony Ives design that he has spent so much time on.