PDA

View Full Version : MDD/DDR thought...someone confirm or deny?

Nipsy
Nov 23, 2002, 12:50 AM
Remember the days of the 7200-9600, where Apple supported 64MB DIMMs, but 128s worked just dandy?

Well, I'm wondering if we're in one of those phases again.

Does anyone have access to a 1 or 2GB stick of PC2100/2700, and and MDD testing machine?

Could these machines have theoretical unsupported RAM limits of 4 or even 8GB? (anything over 4 may not be possible with our current processors).

[newbie edit: MDD == Mirrored Drive Doors, the codename for Apple's new PowerMacs]

MacBandit
Nov 23, 2002, 01:03 AM
I would be happy to try this out on my machine if anyone would be willing to send me a 1gig DDR2700 card.

Of course my fee will be the card itself.:)

Rower_CPU
Nov 23, 2002, 11:17 AM
Heh, if I had access to RAM like that I'd try it in a heartbeat...unfortunately, I don't...:(

iJon
Nov 23, 2002, 12:43 PM
i really dont think that would work. 1 gb sticks have been out for a while and im sure apple would have tested them out. the only time something like this happens is when they max out the ram and later on in the future a new and bigger chip comes out and it just so happens to work. but hey, who knows though. i have a gig chip in my pc, although it is 2100 and im not about to put that in my precious 2700 g4 mdd.

iJon

Nipsy
Nov 23, 2002, 05:35 PM
Okay...iJon is close, does anyone have the exact part?

Would anyone in the industry (or iJon) be willing to mail one to me (with a deposit) so I could try it in my MDD 867?

iJon
Nov 23, 2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Nipsy
Okay...iJon is close, does anyone have the exact part?

Would anyone in the industry (or iJon) be willing to mail one to me (with a deposit) so I could try it in my MDD 867?

I'm really sorry guys. I would but for one thing. I didnt buy this computer. my parents store owns it. as soon as new powermacs come out, this gets put in the box and given to someone else at the business and i get the new powermac. if it was my own machine i would do it. im gonna try to get in contact with some of my buddies at apple to see about all of this. ill keep you guys posted.

iJon

MacBandit
Nov 23, 2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by iJon
i really dont think that would work. 1 gb sticks have been out for a while and im sure apple would have tested them out. the only time something like this happens is when they max out the ram and later on in the future a new and bigger chip comes out and it just so happens to work. but hey, who knows though. i have a gig chip in my pc, although it is 2100 and im not about to put that in my precious 2700 g4 mdd.

iJon

DDR2100 will work fine in a DDR2700 machine. I believe the whole ram bus will function at the speed of the slowest ram card though.