PDA

View Full Version : A 4 inch screen is definitely not the ideal size for a smartphone

SomeDudeAsking
Oct 27, 2012, 08:32 PM
My phone contract expired recently so I had the opportunity to renew. I went to the carrier store to pick out a phone they have in stock since I made a decision that the 5.5 inch screen of the Samsung Galaxy Note II would be a bit too big for day to day comfort. I had a choice of the top end smartphones from HTC, Motorola, Samsung and Apple.

I could have gotten any of the top smartphones for about the same price on contract. There were working demo models so I could play and compare. I narrowed it down to between the iPhone 5 and the Samsung Galaxy S3.

The thing that swayed me to the Galaxy S3 is the gorgeous screen. Comparing the iPhone 5 screen with the Galaxy S3 screen, the Galaxy S3 wins hands down. The size of the iPhone 5 screen at 4 inches was so small compared to the Galaxy S3 at 4.8 inches.

I loaded up YouTube videos, Google Maps, and Macrumors on both devices. It was striking how much more useable these apps/websites are with the extra screen space of the Galaxy S3. I could see more content and also with larger font sizes, which meant much less scrolling.

To add to my decision, the blacks on the Galaxy S3 are true black. One of the biggest things that has bugged me about the iPhone that I''ve had all these years is that it's screen can't render true blacks. For example, if you've ever tried watching a video on the iPhone screens, the blacks on it are actually grayish because of the backlighting that bleeds the blacks. This bugs me a tremendous amount.

I think the size and color reproduction of the Galaxy S3 screen are the ideal for what we should expect from a smartphone of today. There is no way I can ever go back to an iPhone screen after having used my Galaxy S3 for a week now.

Zwhaler
Oct 27, 2012, 08:36 PM
I'm thinking of getting a Galaxy Note 2. I know it's big, but that's exactly why it's nice ... albeit not for the majority of people.

darster
Oct 27, 2012, 08:39 PM
I disagree. A 4 inch screen is a perfect size. I had the razr maxx, and the phone was too bulky. I looked at a GS3 and Note, and it's like carrying a brick around.

SomeDudeAsking
Oct 27, 2012, 08:45 PM
I disagree. A 4 inch screen is a perfect size. I had the razr maxx, and the phone was too bulky. I looked at a GS3 and Note, and it's like carrying a brick around.

But then look at the iPad Mini, it has 7.9 inch screen but Apple says you can use it one-handed.

paulrbeers
Oct 27, 2012, 08:45 PM
To each jos own. That's why there is more than one phone on the market. Frankly I had a droid x with its 4.3" screen and that to me was as big as I would want to go....

SpyderBite
Oct 27, 2012, 08:49 PM
So, remind me why this is posted on an Apple forum instead of the Samsung or Android forums?

Glad you found a smartphone you enjoy. But it seems a meme to post about it here.

darster
Oct 27, 2012, 08:50 PM
But then look at the iPad Mini, it has 7.9 inch screen but Apple says you can use it one-handed.

It's not a smartphone. The iPhone 5 fits perfectly in my pocket. The bigger phones are clumsy to carry. You have a greater chance of dropping them. To each their own. Choice is a good thing.

Cjshino
Oct 27, 2012, 08:52 PM
Im perfectly fine with my 3.5 iphone4s screen :p

SomeDudeAsking
Oct 27, 2012, 08:52 PM
So, remind me why this is posted on an Apple forum instead of the Samsung or Android forums?

Glad you found a smartphone you enjoy. But it seems a meme to post about it here.

Because I was an iPhone user and I also own a number of other Apple devices. Thought you guys might like to know why so many people are choosing Samsung instead of Apple: it's the screen.

trekkie604
Oct 27, 2012, 08:57 PM
I don't like the overly saturated colors on the SGS3 screen.

TM WAZZA
Oct 27, 2012, 08:59 PM
Enjoy pentile.

SGS4 should be announced in 3-4 months

SomeDudeAsking
Oct 27, 2012, 09:03 PM
Enjoy pentile.

SGS4 should be announced in 3-4 months

I am thoroughly enjoying it or do you mean through a microscope? I will get the S4 if there are major changes.

stonyboys
Oct 27, 2012, 09:03 PM
I have always thought that 4 inches is the perfect screen size, ever since I saw the galaxy s2 by samsung. The iphone 4 looks ancient to me now, tiny in comparison. And the new galaxies and other androids look way too big to carry around in my pocket.

Also have you seen the blacks on the ip5 or are you talking about the ip4/4s blacks? Because the blacks on my screen are black as sh**, and dont look grey at all.

darster
Oct 27, 2012, 09:05 PM
Because I was an iPhone user and I also own a number of other Apple devices. Thought you guys might like to know why so many people are choosing Samsung instead of Apple: it's the screen.

And why so many are choosing the iPhone 5 over the GS3.

pgiguere1
Oct 27, 2012, 09:06 PM

The iPad mini can be held with a single hand, unlike the iPhone which you can actually use with a single hand.

It's true that AMOLED displays display blacker blacks than any LCD displays, but the for the rest IPS wins hands down.

Colors on a GSIII aren't accurate at all. They're oversaturated. It doesn't mean most people wouldn't enjoy that though. Like a lot of people like colored bass-heavy sound on headphones like Beats by Dr Dre instead of flat-response real studio headphones.

Pick the one that looks the best to you, but factually the iPhone 5 (and 4/4S) have much better color reproduction than any AMOLED phone.

DAneil808
Oct 27, 2012, 09:09 PM
lol at holding a brick to your ear while talking.

SomeDudeAsking
Oct 27, 2012, 09:09 PM
I have always thought that 4 inches is the perfect screen size, ever since I saw the galaxy s2 by samsung. The iphone 4 looks ancient to me now, tiny in comparison. And the new galaxies and other androids look way too big to carry around in my pocket.

Also have you seen the blacks on the ip5 or are you talking about the ip4/4s blacks? Because the blacks on my screen are black as sh**, and dont look grey at all.

I'm taking about the blacks on all iPhones. No iPhone screen can produce true blacks because of the LCD backlight. Try watching a YouTube video in the dark and focus on the background. Compare it to any amoled screen.

Radiating
Oct 27, 2012, 09:13 PM
My phone contract expired recently so I had the opportunity to renew. I went to the carrier store to pick out a phone they have in stock since I made a decision that the 5.5 inch screen of the Samsung Galaxy Note II would be a bit too big for day to day comfort. I had a choice of the top end smartphones from HTC, Motorola, Samsung and Apple.

I could have gotten any of the top smartphones for about the same price on contract. There were working demo models so I could play and compare. I narrowed it down to between the iPhone 5 and the Samsung Galaxy S3.

The thing that swayed me to the Galaxy S3 is the gorgeous screen. Comparing the iPhone 5 screen with the Galaxy S3 screen, the Galaxy S3 wins hands down. The size of the iPhone 5 screen at 4 inches was so small compared to the Galaxy S3 at 4.8 inches.

I loaded up YouTube videos, Google Maps, and Macrumors on both devices. It was striking how much more useable these apps/websites are with the extra screen space of the Galaxy S3. I could see more content and also with larger font sizes, which meant much less scrolling.

To add to my decision, the blacks on the Galaxy S3 are true black. One of the biggest things that has bugged me about the iPhone that I''ve had all these years is that it's screen can't render true blacks. For example, if you've ever tried watching a video on the iPhone screens, the blacks on it are actually grayish because of the backlighting that bleeds the blacks. This bugs me a tremendous amount.

I think the size and color reproduction of the Galaxy S3 screen are the ideal for what we should expect from a smartphone of today. There is no way I can ever go back to an iPhone screen after having used my Galaxy S3 for a week now.

You do realize that the Galaxy S3 has abysmal image quality dimensions in everything except black quality right?

The iPhone 5 doesn't just beat it, it's like comparing a brick to a transsonic nasa prototype going so fast that they expect it's skin to start melting during a normal flight and require replacing.

The reason why Apple doesn't use Samsung's display technology is because it's less than half as bright, and requires much more battery power, which would destroy battery life and outdoor visibility.

4 inches is the ideal size to TOUCH with one hand, the iPhone also unlike all other phones has a hands free keyboard, this means that it is the only phone you can multitask with. Try typing on an iPhone with one hand, your character input will be gibberish but it will translate that into the correct words with nearly perfect accuracy.

If if bigger screen really makes you happy enough, then get it.

SomeDudeAsking
Oct 27, 2012, 09:14 PM

If you haven't noticed, people don't use smart phones for making phone calls very often. The smartphone generation text.

MassiveAttack
Oct 27, 2012, 09:19 PM
Unfortunately iPhone's screen no longer reigns as king as far as color reproduction, sharpness and PPI. I have to agree the SGSIII's screen looks absolutely gorgeous.

Jzo
Oct 27, 2012, 09:20 PM
If the true black is anything like the true black on the Zune HD I know what u mean.

darster
Oct 27, 2012, 09:21 PM
If you haven't noticed, people don't use smart phones for making phone calls very often. The smartphone generation text.

Really? Guess you don't work in a business or professional environment. Once you do, you will realize just how important a "phone" is.

MassiveAttack
Oct 27, 2012, 09:21 PM

The SGSIII is far from a brick, very pocketable and thin. As said before, smartphones primary function these days is no longer for making calls.

SomeDudeAsking
Oct 27, 2012, 09:24 PM
Really? Guess you don't work in a business or professional environment. Once you do, you will realize just how important a "phone" is.

And if you did, you would know about Bluetooth headsets

darster
Oct 27, 2012, 09:26 PM
Again, you don't understand. Work in a real professional environment.

SomeDudeAsking
Oct 27, 2012, 09:28 PM
Again, you don't understand. Work in a real professional environment.

Real professionals send reports and data files in e-mails which is a pain or impossible on an iPhone.

F123D
Oct 27, 2012, 09:29 PM
I upgraded to the iPhone 5 due to the larger screen and LTE. The 4" screen still felt to small but LTE is amazing in my area. iOS has also become stale so instead of just settling, decided to play around with other devices. I'll be picking up the Note II once it's released.

My main uses for a smartphone is multimedia and web browsing so this will be perfect.

I'd have to agree with others and prefer LCD over amoled but I find it funny that some people have no issue with a non-retina iPad mini all of a sudden. I don't see how carrying around an iPhone and iPad mini isn't an issue but a Note II is?

darster
Oct 27, 2012, 09:29 PM
Real professionals send reports and data files in e-mails which is a pain or impossible on an iPhone.

Sigh. I'm not even going to try and explain anymore. You are the type professional sharks feed on.

sahnjuro
Oct 27, 2012, 09:33 PM

OLED screens in GS3 is really nice. Much easier on eyes too, even if the phone is a little to wide to be used using a single hand. Back when Steve Jobs was alive. he apparently wanted Samsung to make OLED panels for Apple for Apple TV and may be iPhone. Samsung refused.

I also have a high suspicion that Apple will end up coming out with a larger iphone around spring time and carry 2 models of iphone, regular and large. It makes sense marketing wise. By having 2 models, they will be refreshing twice a year, something like they are doing with iPad and iPad mini. Also they don't give up the large phone market to Samsung and other phone makers who are feasting because Apple doesn't offer anything larger than 4 inch.

jk4lebron23
Oct 27, 2012, 09:35 PM

Ah Bluetooth headsets... The most annoying things ever invented

Jungle Jack
Oct 27, 2012, 09:39 PM
Hello,
I really think the SGIII is an excellent phone. If Samsung ever started to use higher grade materials for the exterior, I really think it might appeal to more folks who went with the iP5 instead of it.

I had been using Android phones going back to Eclair through the Motorola Photon that I owned before the 64gb 5 I purchased in September.

I must say the industrial design and tactile sensation of just holding the 5 in my hand is outstanding. It makes me understand why so many have been bothered by chips/scratches on just opened 5's.
Cheers,
JJ

bpeeps
Oct 27, 2012, 09:42 PM

Apple said you could hold it in one hand. You clearly cannot use the iPad Mini with one hand. Common sense and eyes should tell you that alone.

j1george
Oct 27, 2012, 09:45 PM

It doesn't hurt somedudeasking to bring up the topic of screen size and resolution for people on the fence about their apple phone to consider a non-apple phone. Nonetheless, there are a lot of features on many non-apple devices that are technically superior to apple products. We can frequently find such superior aspects of products and some superior features, and probably it is good for apple to have such meaningful competition in order to keep apple price competitive and innovative (and probable we apple consumers benefit from that).

I'm sure that many people on these forms chose apple for reasons other than just the screen size and resolution (even though frequently apple has some superior tech specs and frequently seems to be on the cutting edge of innovations) and most likely if apple had larger and better options, then some people would chose those in an apple device, if they were available.

Personally, I really like the continuity of each apple device that i have owned accross several of my other apple devices, and it would take quite a bit to get me to switch to a non-apple device and most of the time, I do not feel too limited or restricted by the various options and price points that apple has been providing me for quite some time (for me more than 20 years starting with the PowerBook 100).

ixodes
Oct 27, 2012, 09:48 PM
Apple's narrow, elongated version of a 4.0" display is rather like one half of an upgrade, rather than a full upgrade.

The reason is that only the height of the display is larger, the width is the same as the tiny old 3.5".

The full size 4.0" display on my two year old Galaxy S is both taller _and_wider. That makes it a much more useful size.

I agree with BGR

"In a way, it seems like the iPhone 5 has a bigger display just so that Apple can say the iPhone 5 has a bigger display. It doesn’t add much to the overall experience."

http://bgr.com/2012/10/22/a-month-with-the-iphone-5/

aliensporebomb
Oct 27, 2012, 09:51 PM
FWIW:

My friend bought a Galaxy S3 the same day I bought my iPhone5.

After looking at it for quite a while I've determined it's the nicest Android phone out there that I've tried (and I'm a sometime smartphone admin for my workplace and I've tried pretty much every Blackberry, Android, IOS and Windows phone commercially available since I often have to help people set them up on our enterprise email system).

I still prefer my iPhone 5 for some other reasons but the S3 is a nice phone make no mistake.

AFDoc
Oct 27, 2012, 09:52 PM

So basically you're saying simply because YOU don't feel the 4" screen isn't the best for you it's not the best for all. Ok, thanks.

j1george
Oct 27, 2012, 09:53 PM
Ah Bluetooth headsets... The most annoying things ever invented

In about the last year, I've been usin stereo Bluetooth and it is surely nice.

bri1212
Oct 27, 2012, 09:55 PM

Dude, What are you doing on here then? I don't have a problem with you switching and even liking the fact that you switched. But, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? I personally have used the S3 and was not impressed. That's not my point.
I just don't understand why anyone would go out and buy any other phone and then come back here to tell everyone, like you've discovered gold. Are you waiting for us all to cheer you on? Are you waiting for all of us to throw our five's in the trash and get the S3? Or are you looking for an argument?
I think my 5 has great colors, and wonders of wonders I have never noticed the untrueness of true black on it. If that is what is truly important to you I hope you enjoy your phone.

ripper998
Oct 27, 2012, 10:04 PM
We're happy for you. Now why are you still posting, defending your decision on a Mac board.

jk4lebron23
Oct 27, 2012, 10:05 PM
In about the last year, I've been usin stereo Bluetooth and it is surely nice.

If they cover both ears like for music that's cool but if its a one sided headsets I hate those things

j1george
Oct 27, 2012, 10:12 PM
If they cover both ears like for music that's cool but if its a one sided headsets I hate those things

Yes there are quite a few options for the two eared stereo headsets , good for exercising too, but some headsets are more sweat proof than others.

zone23
Oct 27, 2012, 10:14 PM
Had a phone with a bigger screen but it didn't compare to my 55" plasma. Don't spend my life on my phone I have a MacBook for "real" work. Professionals don't do work on their phones.

Post like this are getting pretty old I mean do you really think any of us care that you wanted a bigger screen? Head on over to XDA but please do a search before you post this revelation as I'm sure someone has a thread about your awesome screen .

SomeDudeAsking
Oct 27, 2012, 10:16 PM
Dude, What are you doing on here then? I don't have a problem with you switching and even liking the fact that you switched. But, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? I personally have used the S3 and was not impressed. That's not my point.
I just don't understand why anyone would go out and buy any other phone and then come back here to tell everyone, like you've discovered gold. Are you waiting for us all to cheer you on? Are you waiting for all of us to throw our five's in the trash and get the S3? Or are you looking for an argument?
I think my 5 has great colors, and wonders of wonders I have never noticed the untrueness of true black on it. If that is what is truly important to you I hope you enjoy your phone.

If you just talk about what is inside the walled off garden, you will never know what is over the fence.

jkim3691
Oct 27, 2012, 10:29 PM

Yeah, try using the iPad mini with one hand. Tie your other hand around your back, see how that works out. That's not one handed. You can HOLD it in one hand, but not use it one handed effectively. Your point is subjective anyways. S3's screen oversaturates the colors way too much. But if you like the S3, you like the S3. Don't see why this merited a thread.

XboxMySocks
Oct 27, 2012, 10:33 PM
Unfortunately iPhone's screen no longer reigns as king as far as color reproduction, sharpness and PPI. I have to agree the SGSIII's screen looks absolutely gorgeous.

Holy **** you have to be kidding me? I can't even. You are so wrong. Just sit there in your wrongness and be wrong.
Read this and give your head a shake. (http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm)

aznguyen316
Oct 27, 2012, 10:43 PM
Owned a Galaxy S3 for two months. Love the hardware and dev community but ended up trading it for a Razr M. 4.3" screen and just about the size of iP5, but not as thin. Plus the battery on this phone is AMAZING. I mostly traded it for the size. 4.8" is manageable, but damn I love having one handed operation again.

This was taken when I was in the apple store. My screen brightness was turned down and the store models have theirs all the way up. But iP5 screen is definitely better.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=371745&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1351046759

JrFreak
Oct 27, 2012, 10:44 PM
After having a 3GS for years, the iPhone 5 4" screen is pretty nice.

anonymouse99
Oct 27, 2012, 10:56 PM
All these are relative arguments. There are two (prioritized) issues always in my mind when selecting a phone.

If there is a certain feature that I absolutely want, then that'll override all the size issues etc. If I need a certain size of the phone, then all other issues, including apps, hardware, etc. will take a backseat.

In my case, I had a Samsung SII Skyrocket for a week, and apart from it being defective, it was simply too big for my hands, and pocket. I could not hold it easily and was always worried that the phone would fall out from my pocket and/or crack the screen in my pocket.

The iPhone5 is a good optimal size, especially the width. If they make the iPhone and bigger in future, I'll probably need to look for something else (unfortunately, all manufacturers are doing the bigger is better thing these days but hopefully there will be iPhone5 sized phones around for a while). Just to add, I would never buy the iPhone5 without a decent case - I chose an Otterbox commuter.

Bottom line, as others have so eloquently stated, to each their own perfect screen size. I beg to disagree that 4" is not ideal. It works perfectly for me. Honestly between a 4" Samsung whatever and 4" iPhone, I would still pick an iPhone for various reasons (beaten to death by many :D).

Beeplance
Oct 27, 2012, 11:00 PM

Hands-down the best response in this entire thread.

mjpearce023
Oct 27, 2012, 11:07 PM
Yeah, try using the iPad mini with one hand. Tie your other hand around your back, see how that works out. That's not one handed. You can HOLD it in one hand, but not use it one handed effectively. Your point is subjective anyways. S3's screen oversaturates the colors way too much. But if you like the S3, you like the S3. Don't see why this merited a thread.

I don't see what's so hard for people to understand about this. Do people really think Apple expects someone to use the iPad mini with one hand? I know there are some slow people out there but you would think the difference between using and holding would be obvious. I guess I give people too much credit.

Mr Hill
Oct 27, 2012, 11:28 PM
Agree with some of the other posters here. Nothing wrong with liking the Samsung phones (I'm personally not a fan), but what's the point of posting about it on an iPhone forum on a Mac website?

F123D
Oct 27, 2012, 11:32 PM
I don't see what's so hard for people to understand about this. Do people really think Apple expects someone to use the iPad mini with one hand? I know there are some slow people out there but you would think the difference between using and holding would be obvious. I guess I give people too much credit.

No, but I didn't think apple would introduce a non-retina iPad mini with old hardware and try to sell it like it was so amazing. Especially after all these years of flaunting their retina display, they're selling point is you can hold it with one hand?

----------

Agree with some of the other posters here. Nothing wrong with liking the Samsung phones (I'm personally not a fan), but what's the point of posting about it on an iPhone forum on a Mac website?

The OP was just comparing his experience with an iPhone and an S3. The only problem is it should've been posted under the other device/OS section of the board.

DAneil808
Oct 27, 2012, 11:38 PM

Im guessing you dont have many friends.

SomeDudeAsking
Oct 27, 2012, 11:46 PM
Im guessing you dont have many friends.

Not octogenarian ones who don't know how to text.

the caveman
Oct 27, 2012, 11:47 PM

Samoled is terrible. Color reproduction is ideal? Are you joking? Samoled is way over saturated and has anything but an ideal color reproduction. Moreover, it is unable to display whites, they are more like blue, burn in problems are a common thing on amoleds, it also destroys battery when it displays anything but dark colors. Compare that GS3 screen to the iphone, or HTC one x, and they destroy it in brightness. When i had my GS3 i found that the screen was very dim even on the highest brightness setting. It is unusable in sunlight.

The only thing that samoled has is the black color reproduction, but that is it. Rest of the technology is mostly negatives.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the iPhone's screen is the best, I'm saying that the samoled has way more negatives and should be avoided until amoled technology addresses those issues.

Bahroo
Oct 28, 2012, 12:15 AM

Well first off coming from a GS3. I can say that the retina display is alot better then the GS3 screen. While its true you cant really see the pentile at times, with red texts you see heavy pixelation on red text and it looks pretty bad. The screen is no where near as bright as the retina display, and the GS3's display reflects like crazy.

The colors do look nice though and the true blacks on the Gs3 is extremely nice. But i much rather prefer the retina display anyday. Its sharper, brighter, and perfect for one hand use

Ahonen
Oct 28, 2012, 12:18 AM
For me personally, the S3 is just enormous. What I liked about the 4S and still with the 5 is that they slip into my pockets, particularly my shirt pockets, and I don't even feel them there. The S3 and pretty much every other Android phone has a huge screen, and that's great for a lot of people. But for me, I am looking for compact and unencumbering.

cnev3
Oct 28, 2012, 12:24 AM
I'm not a fan of the huge phablet screens, they look kind of dorky to me. I prefer the sleekness of the iPhone 5 screen. Just personal preference though.

erratikmind
Oct 28, 2012, 12:34 AM
The OP definitely has valid points for him or herself. As such, the thread title should have read, " A 4" screen is not ideal for me."

On a side note . . . Go San Francisco Giants!!! 3-0 Humm Baby!

F123D
Oct 28, 2012, 12:35 AM
For me personally, the S3 is just enormous. What I liked about the 4S and still with the 5 is that they slip into my pockets, particularly my shirt pockets, and I don't even feel them there. The S3 and pretty much every other Android phone has a huge screen, and that's great for a lot of people. But for me, I am looking for compact and unencumbering.

Yes, the S3 looks gigantic next to the iPhone 5. Clearly there's no way this brick of an S3 would be able to fit into someone's pocket. You'd definitely need a fanny pack or something to carry this monster of a device.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/iPhone-5-vs-Galaxy-S3-angle-left-side-by-side.jpg

JS82712
Oct 28, 2012, 01:30 AM
:rolleyes:My phone contract expired recently so I had the opportunity to renew. I went to the carrier store to pick out a phone they have in stock since I made a decision that the 5.5 inch screen of the Samsung Galaxy Note II would be a bit too big for day to day comfort. I had a choice of the top end smartphones from HTC, Motorola, Samsung and Apple.

ok, look. If you like the S3, then have fun with it. we simply don't care.
you must be a Samsung employee :rolleyes:

/thread reported to mod, needs to be moved to the 'alternatives forum'

notoriousbeast
Oct 28, 2012, 01:38 AM
LOL enjoy your subpar app store - less apps, quality compared to ios apps is a joke, apps not designed for all androids, glitchy, etc.

Have fun with your battery life - you'll be lucky if you get a day of use and when you ask for advice on android forums they tell you to turn off pretty much every feature on the phone to get decent battery life or root it and flash custom roms. my ip5 got 2 days of battery life out of the box.

Enjoy never getting updates - once the gs4 comes out your phone will be forgotten and never updated. Have fun with your glitchy OS. the iphone 4 came out two years ago and it just got ios6 apple always supports its products.

oh by the way two years from now my ip5 will have a resale value twice as high as your gs3. trust me you will regret this switch.

edit: im not an apple fanboy but i just dont like droids although i wouldnt mind a bigger screen. If the iphone didnt exist i'd get a note 2 but androids battery, app store, and OS pushes me away.

j1george
Oct 28, 2012, 01:42 AM
No, but I didn't think apple would introduce a non-retina iPad mini with old hardware and try to sell it like it was so amazing. Especially after all these years of flaunting their retina display, they're selling point is you can hold it with one hand?[COLOR="#808080"]

I agree with u F123d that Apple likes to place marketing spins on its products - yet, in the past five years or maybe slightly longer, apple has had considerable marketing momentum. Thus, frequently apple will cut a little in the specs in order to be able to ensure reliability, mass availability of technology, and safeguarding potential canibalisation of its other products (also, they ensure they achieve a considerable profit margin, as well).

I also have the sense that having the same resolution as the iPad2 on the iPad mini is a considerable movement to near retina, without quite making it to retina status. I agree that some people are disappointed that apple did not go far enough with the resolution on the iPad mini, yet I sense apple may have determined that they could not have released retina at a proper price point, or maybe as a business decision was that they believe to release a retina at a later date would be more profitable. Test the ipad mini market with version 1, 1st, then milk us for more upon releasing a retina version. I accept that as business, and personally, I do not feel exploited by such profits that Apple makes.

urkel
Oct 28, 2012, 01:48 AM
I agree. 4" is NOT ideal. It should be 4.3"

I love my iphone but I have to rant on the hypocrisy of the whole "perfect for one hand" iPad Mini/iPhone 5 excuses. With phones we are to believe any bigger is for mutants. but then the iPad Mini page shows this gigantic caveman hand displaying how this 7.9"iPad can easily be held in one hand. If handling a Mini is that easy with one hand then I'm not convinced that 4.3" phones wouldn't work.

Ive used 4.3" phones and while I dislike non-iOS operating systems, the hardware is entirely manageable. But with the iPhone 5 then the 4" screen feels like a compromise because you've got the difficulties of a taller screen (top row items are a bit awkward to reach) without the benefits of a wider screen (keyboard is still cramped).

Id love to spend a day in the Apple labs just to play with a 4.3" prototype and try to figure out why they felt that 4" was such a superior size.

Fattytail
Oct 28, 2012, 01:49 AM
If you just talk about what is inside the walled off garden, you will never know what is over the fence.

Uh, right, because we all live in some Apple-ruled totalitarian regime and we have no idea what other options are out in the world.

Get out of here with this stuff. Seriously. I mean it's fine to share your opinion, but then you just come across as a troll in the rest of your posts. Great, so you got an S3 and you like it. I'm happy for you. I tried an S3 and I would never switch. Now go over to the Android forums and play with your newfound buddies.

Archer1440
Oct 28, 2012, 01:55 AM
News for the OP. Apple engineers are smarter than you.

And with that out of the way, having seen the enormous difference between the Samesung G screen and the iPhone 5 in direct sunlight, I know which way I would go if I had to make a choice. I find myself using a phone in daylight a lot more than appreciating the depth of black while watching a movie.

----------

Yes, the S3 looks gigantic next to the iPhone 5. Clearly there's no way this brick of an S3 would be able to fit into someone's pocket. You'd definitely need a fanny pack or something to carry this monster of a device.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/iPhone-5-vs-Galaxy-S3-angle-left-side-by-side.jpg

Lovely photo which shows exactly why the Samesung screen is inferior in daylight, thank you.

Dlanod
Oct 28, 2012, 02:02 AM
I have both and I like them both. The S3 I find generally easier to use on a day to day basis because it's physically bigger. I don't like the screen as much though and it's near impossible to view outside. It does eat battery but then again it updates my Twitter and Facebook etc. feeds in the background.

The iPhone is a nicer device to own, it's beautifully made, and the screen is bright and vivid. Despite the fact that it has lower paper specs and benchmarks than the S3 in my experience it runs faster. So fast in apps like Pulse that the pages don't build but they just appear.

These are probably the two best phones out there just now. They're both great. It's really down to personal choice. And if you can't chose and you have cash to burn, have them both!

impulse462
Oct 28, 2012, 02:16 AM
The title of this thread should be "A 4 inch screen is definitely not the ideal size for me."

F123D
Oct 28, 2012, 02:54 AM
News for the OP. Apple engineers are smarter than you.

And with that out of the way, having seen the enormous difference between the Samesung G screen and the iPhone 5 in direct sunlight, I know which way I would go if I had to make a choice. I find myself using a phone in daylight a lot more than appreciating the depth of black while watching a movie.

----------

Lovely photo which shows exactly why the Samesung screen is inferior in daylight, thank you.

Yes, because everyone sits under direct sunlight all day to use their phones. As I mentioned earlier, LCD > amoled, but a 4" LCD leaves a lot to be desired.

tann
Oct 28, 2012, 03:10 AM

I thought they said you can hold it with one hand (implying it's much easier to do so over the bigger one).

Kenjhee
Oct 28, 2012, 03:48 AM
The title of this thread should be "A 4 inch screen is definitely not the ideal size for me."

Thank you!

SomeDudeAsking
Oct 28, 2012, 04:03 AM

Then what of all the Apple loyalists on here and them saying that 4 inches is the perfect size? Will you demand equality?

Wuiffi
Oct 28, 2012, 04:23 AM
Am I the only one who wants a small device. In my opinion something around 3.5 to 3.7 is ideal - 4" for me is ok. Carrying a huge phone in the pocket is just a pain in the a**

cynics
Oct 28, 2012, 06:25 AM
Am I the only one who wants a small device. In my opinion something around 3.5 to 3.7 is ideal - 4" for me is ok. Carrying a huge phone in the pocket is just a pain in the a**

How would you feel with a phone similar in size to the iPhone 5 but with a 4.3" screen on it?

I think people are getting phone size confused with screen size. A 6" screen isn't too bad if its edge to edge.

aznguyen316
Oct 28, 2012, 06:43 AM

Have you used both? Asking seriously. I traded my 4S for the S3 and before I put the 4S into my front pocket on my lab coat at work. I had to change that for the S3 because yes it is larger and it would've fallen out of my front pocket if I bent over, so I put it in the lower pocket. Not really a big deal, but there's a good size difference here...Not to mention I feel obligated to use a case with the S3 because it felt so fragile.

Plus the feel of the S3 in front jeans pocket is noticeably different than the feel of the Razr M in pocket. Both fit no problem but there's a different feel and a large area of my thigh ist tightened down from the S3 but not as much with the M.

daveathall
Oct 28, 2012, 07:29 AM
I just don't think that the S3 is as massive as people like to think.

iPhone 5 on top of S3.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/DSC00148.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/DSC00150.jpg

zbarvian
Oct 28, 2012, 07:36 AM
I just don't think that the S3 is as massive as people like to think.

iPhone 5 on top of S3.

Image (http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/DSC00148.jpg)

Image (http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/DSC00150.jpg)

No the body isn't much larger, it's the screen size that makes the S3 more cumbersome.

daveathall
Oct 28, 2012, 07:39 AM
No the body isn't much larger, it's the screen size that makes the S3 more cumbersome.

Lol. That makes sense. Not.

zbarvian
Oct 28, 2012, 07:50 AM
Lol. That makes sense. Not.

...?

Look at your picture. If I wanted to touch something at the top of the S3 screen it would be equivalent to reaching to the top of the iPhone 5. Plus it's wider...trying to reach the top left corner of the S3 would be a chore.

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 28, 2012, 07:54 AM
I been enjoying the GS3 since the beginning of August. My only real complaint is the auto screen rotate is too damn sensitive. Sometimes I have to toggle off.

daveathall
Oct 28, 2012, 07:59 AM
...?

Look at your picture. If I wanted to touch something at the top of the S3 screen it would be equivalent to reaching to the top of the iPhone 5. Plus it's wider...trying to reach the top left corner of the S3 would be a chore.

...?

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 28, 2012, 08:00 AM
...?

Actually not really. Might seem that way at first, but you'll develop a way of holding it that makes one handed use easy.

zbarvian
Oct 28, 2012, 08:14 AM
Actually not really. Might seem that way at first, but you'll develop a way of holding it that makes one handed use easy.

Easy? I'm sure easier, but I doubt it'd ever be completely painless to use one-handed. I suppose I'm talking out of my a** since I don't own one, but I've used it on many occasions and I can't ever imagine it being easy to use one-handed.

The truth of the matter is there is no perfect or ideal size screen.

cynics
Oct 28, 2012, 08:22 AM
...?

Only iOS would put things at the top of the screen that require constant touching (back/cancel usually). Back is part of the OS on Android and always at the bottom be it on screen or capacitive.

Technarchy
Oct 28, 2012, 08:38 AM
If Samsung wasn't using AMOLED displays the S3 would be more appealing. Those screens just dont look very good at this point. Brightness and blue-ish contamination being a big problem.

Also, American iterations really need to stop being gimped with Qualcomm SOC's.

zbarvian
Oct 28, 2012, 08:45 AM
Only iOS would put things at the top of the screen that require constant touching (back/cancel usually). Back is part of the OS on Android and always at the bottom be it on screen or capacitive.

Notifications? UI buttons? There's tons of stuff on Android at the top...just not Back.

----------

If Samsung wasn't using AMOLED displays the S3 would be more appealing. Those screens just dont look very good at this point. Brightness and blue-ish contamination being a big problem.

Also, American iterations really need to stop being gimped with Qualcomm SOC's.

Agreed. AMOLED is a drawback.

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 28, 2012, 08:45 AM
Easy? I'm sure easier, but I doubt it'd ever be completely painless to use one-handed. I suppose I'm talking out of my a** since I don't own one, but I've used it on many occasions and I can't ever imagine it being easy to use one-handed.

The truth of the matter is there is no perfect or ideal size screen.

Everyone is built differ. My hands can manuver through the GS3 screen easily. The same way you feel about the GS3 is the same way I feel about the Note(2) being to big for one handed use.

cynics
Oct 28, 2012, 08:57 AM
Notifications? UI buttons? There's tons of stuff on Android at the top...just not Back.

----------

Agreed. AMOLED is a drawback.

You don't need to reach to the opposite corner (left or right handed) for notifications. What UI buttons?

I'm not saying you NEVER need to reach the opposite corner, just unlike iOS where regardless of app there is something important in the upper left and/or right.

j1george
Oct 28, 2012, 09:30 AM
...?

I conclude that The picture shows that the actual size between the two devices is very close, so if people like one versus the other, then, largely, the reason is for some reason other than size.

ChazUK
Oct 28, 2012, 10:07 AM

Can you give any specific examples?

I've just tried doing a few things one handed on my Galaxy Nexus with no issues.
(Chrome, Settings, Play Store and GReader below).

Holding the handset in my right hand, everything I needed was in reaching distance of my thumb. I was also able to easily pull down the notification tray and flick away any unneeded notifications.

onthecouchagain
Oct 28, 2012, 10:39 AM
A couple of things...

Are we seriously still talking about how "difficult" it is to get an S3 into one's pockets? This is such a non-issue. (Personally, I feel the S3 actually feels amazing in the pocket. It just disappears because it's so thin and rounded.)

And... the back button, people. It's a beautiful thing.

dmelgar
Oct 28, 2012, 10:41 AM
A couple of things...

Are we seriously still talking about how "difficult" it is to get an S3 into one's pockets? This is such a non-issue. (Personally, I feel the S3 actually feels amazing in the pocket. It just disappears because it's so thin and rounded.)

And... the back button, people. It's a beautiful thing.

S3 is too big.
I agree the back button is one of the greatest innovations in Android.

dmelgar
Oct 28, 2012, 10:53 AM

Big surprise. On a big screen things look.... bigger.
The question is where's the right balance. I've have 3.5, 3.7, 4.0, 4.3 inch phones. I found the 4.3 too big. iPhone 5's 4" screen seems like a good compromise. I could see a very thin no bezel 4.3", but the 4.8" S3 screen is simply too big. If you want something that huge, why not get a Galaxy Note II, its even bigger, its likely stuff on the screen will look bigger too. Or get a 7" tablet and use it as a phone. Where does it stop. The bigger the display the better it looks, but the more awkward to carry around.
Of course its a personal decision. If its the right size for you thats great. But its easy to forget about how much larger it is to carry around when you look at it in a store and see pretty big pictures. Back when the iPhone was announced with its 3.5" screen, folks thought that was huge. My how times have changed. Rather than trying to get more into a smaller package, we seem to reward a bigger package.

AMOLED screen works different. Black is really black. Black on an LCD is the LCD trying to block the light that's still there. I have/had an AMOLED screen phone. Its ok but has some downsides including:
- can get screen burnin. Didn't happen to mine but its possible.
- colors can be unrealistic. The S3 colors are a little off but most folks wouldn't notice.
- AMOLED can be harder to see in the sun. I think the technology has continued to improve.
- Battery life. The more bright areas there are on the screen the more power is needed. The worst case is displaying an all too common white page at maximum brightness. Can be much worse than LCD. On the other hand, looking at a white on black page in relative darkness has minuscule power drain.

And, BTW, at least to my eyes, the iPhone 5 display is the best LCD display I've seen or owned. Blacks are excellent. Color reproduction is spot on. Automatic brightness is just right so you're never staring into a headlight. To me, it looks like a richly colored piece of bright paper, not a display.

F123D
Oct 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
Have you used both? Asking seriously. I traded my 4S for the S3 and before I put the 4S into my front pocket on my lab coat at work. I had to change that for the S3 because yes it is larger and it would've fallen out of my front pocket if I bent over, so I put it in the lower pocket. Not really a big deal, but there's a good size difference here...Not to mention I feel obligated to use a case with the S3 because it felt so fragile.

Plus the feel of the S3 in front jeans pocket is noticeably different than the feel of the Razr M in pocket. Both fit no problem but there's a different feel and a large area of my thigh ist tightened down from the S3 but not as much with the M.

Yes I have and I'll actually be picking up the Note II when it comes out. I've never placed a phone in my front shirt pocket, that's just asking for trouble. The S3 is bigger than the 4S, I agree with you there but I'm sure you'd feel a noticeable difference with an iPhone 5 in your pocket compared to the 4S as well..

Vegastouch
Oct 28, 2012, 12:27 PM

LOL...so funny to see this. Before the iP5 came out, most in here said 3.5" was the perfect size.

DakotaGuy
Oct 28, 2012, 12:34 PM

It's posted in a section called "Alternatives to iOS and iOS devices" so I don't see any issue with this thread. If you don't like Android devices then don't read about them.

----------

LOL...so funny to see this. Before the iP5 came out, most in here said 3.5" was the perfect size.

Funny thing is the reverse has happened with the iPad. Before the iPad Mini came out most in here said no one would ever want a tablet with a display smaller then 9.7 in. :D

Vegastouch
Oct 28, 2012, 12:37 PM
It's posted in a section called "Alternatives to iOS and iOS devices" so I don't see any issue with this thread. If you don't like Android devices then don't read about them.

----------

Funny thing is the reverse has happened with the iPad. Before the iPad Mini came out most in here said no one would ever want a tablet with a display smaller then 9.7 in. :D

Yeah, this forum is filled with a bunch of iRobots.

j1george
Oct 28, 2012, 02:42 PM
Yeah, this forum is filled with a bunch of iRobots.

Devoted Apple users may seem to blow with the winds of apple, yet I'm sure that has to do with a sense that apple delivers a decent overall set of products. Even I was having second thoughts about apple in the late 90s. Nonetheless, apple continues to deliver, thus, too much emphasis on Consistency could be considered the hobgoblin of small minds.

I'm sure if apple came out with a 4.3 or a 4.8, there would be a large number of converts, but for now, 4" works pretty good - and by the large number of adopters is probably the best for many, if u can afford it, or can rob a bank.

tbayrgs
Oct 28, 2012, 03:47 PM
I love my iphone but I have to rant on the hypocrisy of the whole "perfect for one hand" iPad Mini/iPhone 5 excuses. With phones we are to believe any bigger is for mutants. but then the iPad Mini page shows this gigantic caveman hand displaying how this 7.9"iPad can easily be held in one hand. If handling a Mini is that easy with one hand then I'm not convinced that 4.3" phones wouldn't work.

I don't think anyone, including Apple, is claiming the iPad Mini can be used one-handed. The issue many have regarding phone size is using it one-handed. I also agree that 4.3" would be ideal--I've also owned a Galaxy Nexus and personally found its 4.65" screen a touch too large for one-handed use but again that's just my personal experience. I also own a Nexus 7 and love how comfortable it is too hold one-handed, suspect I would have a similar experience with the iPad Mini.

Update: Well I stand corrected after watching the promo video--Apple clearly does think the 7.9" form factor is perfect for one handed use.

nickchallis92
Oct 28, 2012, 11:18 PM

Thank you thank you thank you!

I cannot believe iOS put the back button in the top left of the screen. Unless you're left handed it's a real pain and something Android uses won't have to bother with.

p.s, How often do you really type with 1 hand? unless of course you're driving illegally

onthecouchagain
Oct 28, 2012, 11:23 PM
On the apple website, apple specifically says in the video of the iPad mini that the iPad can be picked up and used with one hand. So one handed use with a 7.9" screen from apple? A-okay. One hand use with anything in the 4-5.5" screen from the competition? Impossible to use!

Watch their official video from the website. The one that starts with Ive talking. It's around the 2:10 min mark.

F123D
Oct 29, 2012, 01:06 AM
Jonathan Ive definitely cleared up this discussion. 7.9" display is the perfect size that you can still pick up and easily use with one hand. Samsungs Note II 5.5" display is looking a little small now. :(

dmelgar
Oct 29, 2012, 01:11 AM
On the apple website, apple specifically says in the video of the iPad mini that the iPad can be picked up and used with one hand. So one handed use with a 7.9" screen from apple? A-okay. One hand use with anything in the 4-5.5" screen from the competition? Impossible to use!

Watch their official video from the website. The one that starts with Ive talking. It's around the 2:10 min mark.

iPad can be held with one hand, but you need two hands to touch all parts of the screen.

iPhone 5, you can type on it with one hand and touch anywhere on the display.

I think they made a good distinction.

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 01:37 AM
iPad can be held with one hand, but you need two hands to touch all parts of the screen.

So Apple can pick and choose exactly what "one hand use" means? Don't you still need to touch all parts of the screen of an iPad Mini? It all just sounds a bit disingenuous and manipulative.

Their video specifically says "you can still pick it up and easily use it with one hand." Easily. But according to their iPhone 5 campaign, one of the main talking points is that anything larger than a 4" smartphone is unusable with one hand.

So either the iPad Mini is easy to use one handed and therefore so are other smartphones, or nothing over 4" is easy to use with one hand in which case the video is a lie.

Here's the vid: http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/overview/#video-ipad-mini-features
At around the 2:10 mark.

F123D
Oct 29, 2012, 01:40 AM

I don't know. Apples video clearly stated and showed one handed use for the iPad mini.

tbayrgs
Oct 29, 2012, 07:03 AM

I don't know. Apples video clearly stated and showed one handed use for the iPad mini.

Yeah, I have to agree--Apple is using both sides of the argument at their own convenience. Jony Ive very clearly states the size of the iPad Mini is ideal for one handed use and the video clearly shows someone using it one handed.

I then went back and watched the same promotional video for the iPhone and there is an emphasis throughout the video that the 4" size is the ideal size for one hand 'comfort and use'. The TV ad is even more blatant, comparing the reach of one's thumb to the distance from one edge of the iPhone's screen to the other, even going so far as to call it a 'dazzling display of common sense.'

Can't have it both ways Apple. If you'd actually added more capability to your device you wouldn't have to resort to 'screen size' as your go to feature.

Jessica Lares
Oct 29, 2012, 07:24 AM
You're not going to use the iPad Mini with one hand. You're going to hold it with one and use it with the other. Otherwise you'd have to hold it at the base and have a very good chance of dropping it from rotating it around and trying to push stuff.

nizmoz
Oct 29, 2012, 07:40 AM

It's nice but it doesn't best the retina. I had a sg3 as well.

kdarling
Oct 29, 2012, 08:00 AM
The TV ad is even more blatant, comparing the reach of one's thumb to the distance from one edge of the iPhone's screen to the other, even going so far as to call it a 'dazzling display of common sense.'

Most viewers never notice that the 'common sense' TV ad doesn't apply to the ~85% of the population who are right-handed. Or that it approves of stretching when needed.

The ad shows a left hand using the iPhone... thus putting the common upper left Back button under the thumb arc that Apple demonstrates (shown in red below).

Watch carefully and you'll see the person have to stretch to reach the upper right corner; that's the situation that normally applies to all the right-handed people hitting the upper left Back button. (Imagine a mirror image.)

So apparently Apple is actually okay with stretching. We already know it's okay with all the people who prefer even larger screens.

daveathall
Oct 29, 2012, 08:25 AM
TBH, I dont find it that awkward using two hands.

tbayrgs
Oct 29, 2012, 09:12 AM
You're not going to use the iPad Mini with one hand. You're going to hold it with one and use it with the other. Otherwise you'd have to hold it at the base and have a very good chance of dropping it from rotating it around and trying to push stuff.

I don't disagree but Apple seems to think otherwise. Go to the 2:24 mark of the previously linked video and Jony Ive specifically states 'so you can still pick it up and use it with one hand,' all while they show someone navigating around the screen with the thumb on the same hand holding the iPad.

Of course you'll be able to do some functions one handed (i.e. turning pages in an e reader app) but not most tasks.

j1george
Oct 29, 2012, 11:49 AM
Most viewers never notice that the 'common sense' TV ad doesn't apply to the ~85% of the population who are right-handed. Or that it approves of stretching when needed.

The ad shows a left hand using the iPhone... thus putting the common upper left Back button under the thumb arc that Apple demonstrates (shown in red below).

Watch carefully and you'll see the person have to stretch to reach the upper right corner; that's the situation that normally applies to all the right-handed people hitting the upper left Back button. (Imagine a mirror image.)

So apparently Apple is actually okay with stretching. We already know it's okay with all the people who prefer even larger screens.

There is a lot of extra Room for one handed use with the 4" screen, and one can just shift the phone a little in one's hand while using it, if necessary. Maybe that is true, as well, with the 7.9"? . May be a bit more difficult to bounce the iPad mini around in one hand with the 7.9", and I have not tried it, myself.

kdarling
Oct 29, 2012, 12:11 PM
There is a lot of extra Room for one handed use with the 4" screen, and one can just shift the phone a little in one's hand while using it, if necessary.

Yep, likewise with a 4.6" screen. Just a little shift is all that's usually needed.

Apple wanted so badly to prove that a smaller (4") screen was better, they switched to using a less common lefty handhold in their ad. It was actually very clever. They counted on viewers not paying detailed attention.

Maybe that is true, as well, with the 7.9"? . May be a bit more difficult to bounce the iPad mini around in one hand with the 7.9", and I have not tried it, myself.

I agree that 7+" would be more difficult. I almost always use two hands with my 7" tablets. Well, unless every choice is easily clickable from one side with my thumb (a lot of news sites with scrollable lists are like that).

rak007
Oct 29, 2012, 12:15 PM

How come when steve jobs was there and he said 3.5" was perfect size and now since the iPhone 5 came out with 4", it has become perfect size?