PDA

View Full Version : How to get sound from mac to stereo receiver?

rpg51
Oct 28, 2012, 12:10 PM
I have a stereo receiver - fairly old but good. I have a computer and as time marches on I tend to listen to out put (Rhapsody, Streaming Radio, iTunes et.) most of the time and I have been using a cable from the headphone jack on the computer to the receiver - but I would like to do a better job, maybe wireless?

What are the options here? Without spending a fortune.

CatsTide
Oct 28, 2012, 01:42 PM
Get an Apple TV for 99 bucks. Stream iTunes to it.

rpg51
Oct 28, 2012, 01:44 PM
Does apple tv have a wireless receiver of some kind that attaches to the stereo receiver? And does it stream anything playing on my mac - or just itunes?

CatsTide
Oct 28, 2012, 01:54 PM
Does apple tv have a wireless receiver of some kind that attaches to the stereo receiver? And does it stream anything playing on my mac - or just itunes?

It is a wireless receiver and has an HDMI output. If your Mac is Airplay capable you can mirror your Mac screen,otherwise it will just play your iTunes library. It also has a lot of other capabilities like Netflix.

rpg51
Oct 28, 2012, 01:56 PM
Pardon me for being so behind the times here - but how do I get this signal into my stereo receiver? The only input available on the receiver is phono jacks.

CatsTide
Oct 28, 2012, 02:05 PM
Pardon me for being so behind the times here - but how do I get this signal into my stereo receiver? The only input available on the receiver is phono jacks.

Someone else might have some other suggestions but the only one that I can think of now is if your TV has an HDMI input you could run the AppleTv to your TV then output your audio from your TV to your receiver.

rpg51
Oct 28, 2012, 02:12 PM
I don't even own or watch TV. I'm focused on getting music from my computer audio output to my stereo receiver. Seems like there must be a way to do it- wireless would be great.

CatsTide
Oct 28, 2012, 02:18 PM
I don't even own or watch TV. I'm focused on getting music from my computer audio output to my stereo receiver. Seems like there must be a way to do it- wireless would be great.

There are several other options. I haven't tried to do that for a while but a few years back I was trying to do that and I got a setup from Radio Shack that would do it. Didn't work all that great but they probably have improved them by now.

brentmore
Oct 28, 2012, 02:20 PM
I have a stereo receiver - fairly old but good. I have a computer and as time marches on I tend to listen to out put (Rhapsody, Streaming Radio, iTunes et.) most of the time and I have been using a cable from the headphone jack on the computer to the receiver - but I would like to do a better job, maybe wireless?

What are the options here? Without spending a fortune.

Streaming to the ATV is an option, but I think it'll be far easier to just get an Airport Express and plug it in near the receiver if you're only concerned about audio. Just connect the audio cable from the APX to your receiver and use any audio input. That's how I do it in my garage.

If you're in the market for another receiver, there are several Airplay compatible options:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Airplay

http://usa.denon.com/us/Airplayus/index.html

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v573_black_u/

rpg51
Oct 28, 2012, 02:32 PM
Dumb question - what is ATV? And APX?

So with a capable receiver do I understand Airplay would allow me to play not just my itunes library, but also any other audio I can play on my computer? Such as streaming public radio using a browser?

CatsTide
Oct 28, 2012, 02:36 PM

So with a capable receiver do I understand Airplay would allow me to play not just my itunes library, but also any other audio I can play on my computer? Such as streaming public radio using a browser?

ATV= AppleTV and APX= Airport Express.

I think Airplay is strictly for iTunes.

ffohwx
Oct 28, 2012, 02:40 PM

ATV = Apple TV
APX = Airport Express

If you have Mountain Lion, you can stream any audio to something that supports AirPlay, like the above 2 devices, or a receiver with AirPlay built in. Prior to Mountain Lion, AFAIK, you could only stream iTunes.

Since you don't have a TV to mess with HDMI, I would go with the Airport Express. It has a 1/8" headphone output that you can connect to your receiver very easily with something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-CMR206-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B000068O33/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351453219&sr=8-1&keywords=1%2F8%22+to+rca

Also if you don't go wireless, then that cable is all you need, just perhaps longer.

rpg51
Oct 28, 2012, 02:45 PM
That sounds like it will do it for me. So I am clear - since I am running Mountain Lion if I have an airplay express set next to my receiver I can just use the mini plug to phono plug cable from the airplay express to my stereo receiver and be good to go?

I also saw this - but sounds like the airplay might be the better approach.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-W3#.UI2KEIUeVUQ

ffohwx
Oct 28, 2012, 02:54 PM
That sounds like it will do it for me. So I am clear - since I am running Mountain Lion if I have an airplay express set next to my receiver I can just use the mini plug to phono plug cable from the airplay express to my stereo receiver and be good to go?

I also saw this - but sounds like the airplay might be the better approach.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-W3#.UI2KEIUeVUQ

Or maybe not. I just checked on my MacBook Pro and it is only showing the AppleTV as a possible output for all sound and not the Airport Express. I guess the Airport express does only do iTunes.

Unless I'm missing something in my system, I guess that AudioEngine thing is looking pretty good here.

----------

Aha! Figured out what I was missing in my setup. I knew I had done this at some point. Airfoil allows you to stream all audio over AirPlay to anything that supports it. It's $25. http://rogueamoeba.com/ I just tested it and it works through my AirPort Express...although the audio slightly lags when watching a video from YouTube.

brentmore
Oct 28, 2012, 02:54 PM
With the APX, it'll restrict you to iTunes, unless you use an options like Airfoil:

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

rpg51
Oct 28, 2012, 03:03 PM
Ok. So how does the interface all work out? If I am sitting on the couch with my MBA running mountain lion and I have this software installed and an Airplay base station sitting next to my receiver and wired with the mini to phono patch cord can I simply open a browser and stream music and that's it? Any clunky software issues to get it streaming to the airplay express/receiver?

ffohwx
Oct 28, 2012, 03:08 PM
Ok. So how does the interface all work out? If I am sitting on the couch with my MBA running mountain lion and I have this software installed and an Airplay base station sitting next to my receiver and wired with the mini to phono patch cord can I simply open a browser and stream music and that's it? Any clunky software issues to get it streaming to the airplay express/receiver?

Nope...not clunky really at all. Run the app, choose the audio source (you can stream audio from a specific app, or system audio which is everything) from the dropdown list, then choose where you want it to go. I have 3 different possible receivers for it. You can actually use them all if you want which could be handy for a party or something and you had an outdoor system as well.

rpg51
Oct 28, 2012, 03:16 PM
This is "sounding" (no pun intended) pretty sweet. Thanks for the info.

Which of the airport express models should i get?

Is it doable from an iphone?

ffohwx
Oct 28, 2012, 03:33 PM
This is "sounding" (no pun intended) pretty sweet. Thanks for the info.

Which of the airport express models should i get?

Is it doable from an iphone?

Thanks for asking that question. I knew some recent update enabled system-wide audio out over AirPlay. Apparently it was iOS 6, as I do indeed see my AirPort express as an option for audio out (without any extra software/apps). When you are on the same network as an AirPlay receiver, if you double-tap the home button, and swipe right once to see the media controls, you'll see the Airplay option there as well and you can select it as an output.

I have this AirPort Express http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC414LL/A/airport-express-base-station

It's the newest. I actually got it for it's support for dual-band 802.11n WiFi. If you don't have a use for it, then the older model will also do the trick. That one is $69 I believe.

rpg51
Oct 28, 2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks.

I am running a Time Capsule for wireless throughout the house. Am I going to have to make sure I am on the right wireless network? I have three going in the house already - two direct off the Capsule and one access point down in the basement. Or does it "just work" like most apple stuff.

ffohwx
Oct 28, 2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks.

I am running a Time Capsule for wireless throughout the house. Am I going to have to make sure I am on the right wireless network? I have three going in the house already - two direct off the Capsule and one access point down in the basement. Or does it "just work" like most apple stuff.

If you hardwire it into an existing network, or use it in Bridge mode (connecting it to another router wirelessly) to extend an existing network, then it shouldn't matter. I have my express broadcasting a 2nd wireless network, but it is actually wired with Ethernet to my "main" router, so I can hit off of either wireless network and it'll work.

If you set it up as a standalone unit, not connected in any way to an existing network, then you would have to make sure you are connecting to it instead of another network.

rpg51
Oct 28, 2012, 03:51 PM
Got it. Thank you soooo much. This is going to make a big difference in our home entertainment systems. I'll probably run it in bridge mode.

Destroysall
Oct 28, 2012, 03:57 PM
So you want to run from the computer into an old stereo receiver. I'm assuming this receiver has to have RCA inputs. If so, a simple solution is a USB Digital-to-Analogue. It's cheap, hassle free and you don't need to mess with much.

I recommend the HRT Music Streamer II (http://www.amazon.com/HRT-Music-Streamer-II-Resolution/dp/B0038O4UFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351457784&sr=8-1&keywords=hrt+music+streamer+ii). It's only $149 from Amazon and it will do exactly what you want to do.

Hope that helps,
~Destroysall.

ffohwx
Oct 28, 2012, 03:58 PM
Got it. Thank you soooo much. This is going to make a big difference in our home entertainment systems. I'll probably run it in bridge mode.

You're welcome, and enjoy!

rpg51
Oct 28, 2012, 04:09 PM
The DAC doesn't provide the wireless functionality which is very convenient for me in my particular situation.

That does raise a question though - I currently use a Audio Engine DAC in my basement office and it does improve the general quality of the sound in that environment - I am running into powered studio monitors on my desk down there. But - would a DAC make much of a difference in the quality in this application where I am running into a decent stereo receiver anyway??

rpg51
Oct 28, 2012, 04:35 PM
This has me thinking about a related issue -

Are there decent - not super expensive - "airplay ready" powered speakers on the market - I might sprinkle them around the house - on deck - etc.

Destroysall
Oct 28, 2012, 05:43 PM
The DAC doesn't provide the wireless functionality which is very convenient for me in my particular situation.

That does raise a question though - I currently use a Audio Engine DAC in my basement office and it does improve the general quality of the sound in that environment - I am running into powered studio monitors on my desk down there. But - would a DAC make much of a difference in the quality in this application where I am running into a decent stereo receiver anyway??Yes. Though it really depends. Some external solutions sound better than the internal DAC. So only you can determine which is better to your ears.

If airplay is what you want, you can use the AirPort Express optical/audio out to go into the Audioengine D1, then the D1 into your receiver.

rpg51
Oct 28, 2012, 05:46 PM
Where in the chain in this wireless concoction would a usb DAC go?

Got your reply above answered this question. I think I'll need a separate DAC for the airplay deal.

Destroysall
Oct 28, 2012, 05:49 PM
Where in the chain in this wireless concoction would a usb DAC go?
The D1 features both USB and optical inputs. The AirPort Express has an optical output. Use a TOSLINK cable to connect the two.

UPDATE: Yea, just go with that. Won't cost you an arm and leg and it will sound good. :)

ffohwx
Oct 28, 2012, 05:51 PM
This has me thinking about a related issue -

Are there decent - not super expensive - "airplay ready" powered speakers on the market - I might sprinkle them around the house - on deck - etc.

I know Bose makes a set, though they won't win any awards for price. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

rpg51
Oct 28, 2012, 05:52 PM
No way to use one DAC for multiple Air Express speakers?

The speakers are down the road - budget is starting to run out on various apple stuff. In the last year I've purchased two MacBook Airs, one Thunderbolt Display, Time Capsule, iMac 21.5, SSD and Ram for iMac, etc. Need to get some money together for Christmas!!

Destroysall
Oct 28, 2012, 05:55 PM
No way to use one DAC for multiple Air Express speakers?
No. If you Want a wireless DAC, the Audioengine D2 will do that.Then you won't need the AirPort Express.

rpg51
Oct 28, 2012, 06:01 PM
No. If you Want a wireless DAC, the Audioengine D2 will do that.Then you won't need the AirPort Express.

Don't understand this. The AE D2 is a USB DAC. No wireless involved I don't believe.

I see you play guitar. I play guitar - and mandolin badly. When you play music, your ear develops and you can't live without good music - hence all this work to get a good home sound system working.

EDIT - I see now - mine is the A1 - the A2 is another level. Not sure I am ready to put that much into this but I'll give it some thought.

rpg51
Oct 28, 2012, 06:43 PM
The D1 features both USB and optical inputs. The AirPort Express has an optical output. Use a TOSLINK cable to connect the two.

UPDATE: Yea, just go with that. Won't cost you an arm and leg and it will sound good. :)

r u sure re optical output on the Airport Express???

Destroysall
Oct 29, 2012, 12:59 AM
r u sure re optical output on the Airport Express???

Yes.
www.apple.com/airportexpress/specs/

ChrisA
Oct 29, 2012, 02:27 AM

That does raise a question though - I currently use a Audio Engine DAC in my basement office and it does improve the general quality of the sound in that environment - I am running into powered studio monitors on my desk down there. But - would a DAC make much of a difference in the quality in this application where I am running into a decent stereo receiver anyway??

There is on course a DAC built into the Airport Express. I think it is a pretty decent one. You could find a better one. Would you hear the difference? Likely not because the weal link in your system s not the DAC built into the APX. It is most likely the speakers and room acoustics.

The APX has an optical output. You could connect that to a DAC that has an optical input. But like I said above, fix the weakest link first with is likely room acoustics

ChrisA
Oct 29, 2012, 02:38 AM

The outboard DAC fixes a tiny almost non-existant problem. If you have limited funds you will get morebang per buck spending on other things.

And if the music is compressed, like ACC or MP3 or streaming then this is pointless.

One other question: Is it really impossible to pull cables? You are spending alot of money to avoid using a bit of wire. Just hire some one and I bet he can pull a wire for $100. If the house has a crawl space it is easy to pull wire or an attic in the single floor house.

Destroysall
Oct 29, 2012, 02:50 AM
The outboard DAC fixes a tiny almost non-existant problem. If you have limited funds you will get morebang per buck spending on other things.

And if the music is compressed, like ACC or MP3 or streaming then this is pointless.
Good point. Speakers matter the most, in my opinion.

rpg51
Oct 29, 2012, 05:59 AM
Yes this is helpful.

The ability to send decent audio from a laptop (really any computer or iphone in the house) to my stereo receiver is really what is attractive to me. The rest of it could fall in the "fluff" category.

I did pull a wire from the receiver to my desktop in the next room and that is what I have been using for years so I could just keep on with that. But it is not 100% satisfactory and I like the idea that I can send music to the receiver from any of our family computers, including laptops.

If I understand all this correctly, I can accomplish this much for about $115, (refurb APX and Airfoil software). This makes sense to me. The DAC part of it I agree - expensive for not much benefit. I do have fairly good speakers in my main listening room and in my office - adequate to my ears. The compressed music thing is part of my life and I don't like it but not sure I am ready to go to the extent necessary to change it. We are listening to some CDs but a lot of it is streamed music - Rhapsody and streamed radio and such - and some mp3s as well.

I did not understand that the APX has a DAC built in but that does of course make sense and I agree probably not practical to spend on a DAC. I have a DAC in my basement office (needed to get audio out of a thunderbolt monitor so I spent $120 on a USB DAC) and I may just experiment with that to see if it makes a difference after I have the APX set up. As you say though, it is unlikely to change much.

So for $115 I can gain an awful lot of convenience. Make sense? Am I missing something?

Also, I should add that I do have speaker wire running from the stereo receiver to the speakers in the main listening room and one other room (kitchen). But the speakers in the kitchen are bad - need to find some decent and small speakers for that room. I may someday go with some wireless speakers in other locations - not now.

Destroysall
Oct 29, 2012, 06:19 AM
What speakers are you using now?

rpg51
Oct 29, 2012, 06:24 AM
Infinity RS 425 (old and recently rehab'd with new good woofers) in living room with lots of soft surfaces in room.

Swan M200 Mk ii in basement office sitting on desk and used only for nearfield listening.

In the kitchen I'm not sure - small cheap speakers - around $50 for the two of them.

We listen to a wide range of music - Jazz, Folk, Americana, Progressive Bluegrass, Traditional, Country, some tame rock, some classical - in that order.

Destroysall
Oct 29, 2012, 12:51 PM
In the kitchen I'm not sure - small cheap speakers - around $50 for the two of them.

We listen to a wide range of music - Jazz, Folk, Americana, Progressive Bluegrass, Traditional, Country, some tame rock, some classical - in that order.
Why not the Swan H2 (http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?loudspeakers=swan-active-desktop-sound&p=swan-h2-active-desktop-loudspeaker-system&cPath=21_24&products_id=134&osCsid=c8a132378db37071929c0ac596cf3cb3)? I don't think it would be bad for a small "cheap" kitchen setup.

rpg51
Nov 7, 2012, 07:14 PM
I set up an airport express near my stereo receiver. Took 5 minutes and the set up is a breeze. It is working very well. Great sound. I am able to push any audio I can play on my laptop to the stereo receiver. But the surprise is how well this all works with my iPhone. I can push my ipod content, my Pandora app, my Rhapsody app, and my public radio app to the receiver from anywhere in my house. It works extremely well. I am very happy with this and I want to thank all of you for explaining how it all works. The airport express dac seem absolutely fine to me. I see no need to another dac. This is great stuff and it all works very very well.

AppleDApp
Nov 7, 2012, 07:29 PM
I set up an airport express near my stereo receiver. Took 5 minutes and the set up is a breeze. It is working very well. Great sound. I am able to push any audio I can play on my laptop to the stereo receiver. But the surprise is how well this all works with my iPhone. I can push my ipod content, my Pandora app, my Rhapsody app, and my public radio app to the receiver from anywhere in my house. It works extremely well. I am very happy with this and I want to thank all of you for explaining how it all works. The airport express dac seem absolutely fine to me. I see no need to another dac. This is great stuff and it all works very very well.

I'm curious which version of the Airport express did you purchase?

rpg51
Nov 7, 2012, 07:31 PM
This one

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC414LL/A/airport-express-base-station-june-2012