PDA

View Full Version : Another one of these... Air or Pro

Acterveld
Oct 28, 2012, 01:36 PM
I've been waiting to buy laptop / MacBook for a while. Originally I was inclined to get the 15" core and upgrade the RAM and HDD to a SSD myself but now I'm confused.

I'm hoping to go to university in September / October to study computer science. All unis have their own labs with Linux and windows so don't worry about compatibility. I doubt any programming will be too graphically intense so integrate GPU isn't a problem, and as I said the lab will have computers.

I have a desktop with a 24 inch monitor, i7 2600k over clocked, 8gb RAM, nvidia gtx 570, and then a HDD and a SSD for windows. So any power work / gaming can be done on there.

So I have 3 options, wait till June for has well MacBooks, get a 15 inch anti glare core and upgrade myself, or get a 13 inch MacBook Air with 8GB ram and 256GB SSD. I don't really want to spend > 1300 as I'm a poor student with a part time job haha.

any help would be great, thanks!

n2deep
Oct 28, 2012, 02:13 PM
I just purchased a MacBook Air 13". I upgraded to the i7, 256 ssd, & 8g memory. I was going to get the new rmbp but carry my laptop with me to work so I feel like the thinner and lighter one fits my lifestyle better. From what I have read the MacBook Air will do everything you are asking. I would recommend upgrading the processor and memory though.

Btrthnezr3
Oct 28, 2012, 02:53 PM
I just purchased a MacBook Air 13". I upgraded to the i7, 256 ssd, & 8g memory. I was going to get the new rmbp but carry my laptop with me to work so I feel like the thinner and lighter one fits my lifestyle better. From what I have read the MacBook Air will do everything you are asking. I would recommend upgrading the processor and memory though.

I got the exact same setup. Picked it up yesterday as a matter of fact. Great machine!

Agent-P
Oct 28, 2012, 09:51 PM
Since you have more powerful computers available for yourself to use when you need them, I'd say go with the MBA because it's easy to carry to classes for notes and such (I know this from experience as I currently carry around my MBA all day to my various classes).

KylePowers
Oct 28, 2012, 10:04 PM
13in MBA gets my vote. Upgrade to 8gb of RAM. The processor upgrade doesn't sound particularly necessary in your uses and the upgrade to more than 128GB is up to you.

I use my 2011 i5/4GB/128GB MBA all the time as an electrical engineering student. It handles everything I throw at it! Just wish it had more RAM :) ... and more SSD space, but I can upgrade that myself one of these days.

TheRichboy247
Oct 28, 2012, 10:33 PM
13in MBA gets my vote. Upgrade to 8gb of RAM. The processor upgrade doesn't sound particularly necessary in your uses and the upgrade to more than 128GB is up to you.

I use my 2011 i5/4GB/128GB MBA all the time as an electrical engineering student. It handles everything I throw at it! Just wish it had more RAM :) ... and more SSD space, but I can upgrade that myself one of these days.

I agree with Kyle.