PDA

View Full Version : The BEST way to add flash storage to a MacBook Air!

tmanto02
Oct 28, 2012, 05:33 PM
Someone in another thread mentioned this. But I think you MacBook Air owners will be really interested in this awesome contraption! A simple way to add permanent storage to your MacBook Air.

Introducing Nifty!

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0172/6732/t/13/assets/third_image.jpg?10

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0172/6732/t/13/assets/second_image.jpg?10

http://theniftyminidrive.com

I'll be buying one for sure. Any card up to 60mb/s will work (i.e. sandisk ultra 64Gb)

Come on 128gb micro sd

Lukewarmwinner
Oct 28, 2012, 05:37 PM
Wow. Quite a clever integration I must say! However the price is kinda nifty! ;)

tmanto02
Oct 28, 2012, 05:50 PM
Wow. Quite a clever integration I must say! However the price is kinda nifty! ;)

Yeah no doubt it cost 5 cents to make however I think it's an brilliant little solution and it's chump change to support an awesome Kickstarter project.

Lukewarmwinner
Oct 28, 2012, 07:01 PM
Yeah no doubt it cost 5 cents to make however I think it's an brilliant little solution and it's chump change to support an awesome Kickstarter project.

Definitely! I've been looking into buying a SD card for extra memory, and this really offers great integration. The SD micro cards (as Sandisks) feels quite expensive! And 35$ added to the price of a card ends up being a pricey option.. But a nice one that is!

J&JPolangin
Oct 28, 2012, 08:51 PM
That looks good but it is more expensive and seems like it may be hard to remove if/when necessary?

I'll just use my micro 32Gb USB flash drive...

TheRichboy247
Oct 28, 2012, 10:44 PM
Shut up and take my money!

Seamaster
Oct 29, 2012, 03:01 AM
There's already a long-running thread on this going back to the Nifty's inception:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1206894&highlight=nifty

Lukewarmwinner
Oct 29, 2012, 03:54 AM
But as another poster wrote in the thread; why not just use a normal SD Card?

Seamaster
Oct 29, 2012, 04:27 AM
But as another poster wrote in the thread; why not just use a normal SD Card?

Not flush. Nifty gives flush fitting, semi-permanently-installed storage.

Lukewarmwinner
Oct 29, 2012, 05:19 AM
Not flush. Nifty gives flush fitting, semi-permanently-installed storage.

Not sure I understand the difference, but is it because a normal SD card will stick out?

tmanto02
Oct 29, 2012, 05:25 AM
Not sure I understand the difference, but is it because a normal SD card will stick out?

yes

zhandri
Oct 29, 2012, 05:48 AM
it's perfect for some downloads and stuff that just sits on the SSD and doesn't get used that much. perfect!

Lukewarmwinner
Oct 29, 2012, 06:03 AM
yes

Ahhh. Thanks for clearing that up!

It's really a nice invention, but the cost is over the top for me.

Just gonna use Dropbox instead

intz2nu
Oct 29, 2012, 07:55 AM
Ah this is nice! I never seen this before. My question is does any of you know how to remove it? Does it come with some kind of paper-clip like metal tangs that can precisely clip onto it and pull it clean out?

Lukewarmwinner
Oct 29, 2012, 08:34 AM
Ah this is nice! I never seen this before. My question is does any of you know how to remove it? Does it come with some kind of paper-clip like metal tangs that can precisely clip onto it and pull it clean out?

If you read closely the mention a twizzer needed for removal (included)

MattZani
Oct 29, 2012, 08:42 AM
An extremely elegant solution, and $100 for removable, expandable storage is a very good deal IMO. Would be ideal for keeping an Aperture or Lightroom Library on with settings if you used more than one machine.

tmanto02
Oct 29, 2012, 04:17 PM
and great for a time machine backup of your most important files on the go

KylePowers
Oct 29, 2012, 04:21 PM
Ahhh. Thanks for clearing that up!

It's really a nice invention, but the cost is over the top for me.

Just gonna use Dropbox instead
Don't be confused. Dropbox still takes up space on your SSD (and doesn't add space for that matter). But yes, you can selectively sync folders/files and exclude them (and thus only have them in the cloud), but that'd mean you'd always require an internet connection for access.

Don't get me wrong, I would tattoo Dropbox across my forehead if I could, but it's not exactly comparable to having an extra 64GB always accessible.

//I have ~25GB of Dropbox, which I placed inside my 50GB of Box storage... double syncing! :p

Lukewarmwinner
Oct 30, 2012, 01:39 AM
Don't be confused. Dropbox still takes up space on your SSD (and doesn't add space for that matter). But yes, you can selectively sync folders/files and exclude them (and thus only have them in the cloud), but that'd mean you'd always require an internet connection for access.

Don't get me wrong, I would tattoo Dropbox across my forehead if I could, but it's not exactly comparable to having an extra 64GB always accessible.

//I have ~25GB of Dropbox, which I placed inside my 50GB of Box storage... double syncing! :p

Oh, yeah of course. But I think it's ridiculous that the adapter costs 35$, when a micro sd card costs about the same..

filmbuff
Oct 30, 2012, 10:30 AM
So this thing was funded by donations and they're charging a 35,000% markup (assuming it costs about $.10 to make)? Even though all of their R&D and prototyping costs were paid for? Not to mention that $35 is more than an entire SD card most of the time. It is a Nifty device, but I think they can shove it.

Lukewarmwinner
Oct 30, 2012, 11:01 AM
So this thing was funded by donations and they're charging a 35,000% markup (assuming it costs about $.10 to make)? Even though all of their R&D and prototyping costs were paid for? Not to mention that $35 is more than an entire SD card most of the time. It is a Nifty device, but I think they can shove it.

Indeed. Problem is, they are the only ones making such a solution.. Unless a normal SD card won't bother..

NewbieCanada
Oct 30, 2012, 11:08 AM

Not really by donations - the people who funded it get one (or more) depending on how much they gave.

The raw materials are the least important part of bringing a product to market.

Apple sells cables and adaptors (in far greater volume) for similar prices. I don't see a problem with the amount they're charging for a unique product with more limited appeal.

javisan
Oct 30, 2012, 11:29 AM
Not really by donations - the people who funded it get one (or more) depending on how much they gave.

The raw materials are the least important part of bringing a product to market.

Apple sells cables and adaptors (in far greater volume) for similar prices. I don't see a problem with the amount they're charging for a unique product with more limited appeal.

Excellent point. Let's be fair for every player in the game. These guys had the initiative to do this and pulled it off. Should Apple or another company had made this, they would sell it at the same outrageous price until competitors came along. Let's support the new players instead of keeping rich the usual suspects.

Go to an Apple Store to see any iPhone/iPad Cable or similar simple accessory selling from $19 - $49 for what cost them $1 or less at their mass production partners in China. I don't see anyone complaining about that.

These guys are charging a Premium because they can..... just like Apple. Until someone else comes along and makes a similar product. You can buy it at that price if you see the value in it or you can chose not buy it... Decisions we make with all purchases in general.

orangezorki
Oct 30, 2012, 12:18 PM
I've got to say that this is an awesome idea - brilliantly simple. The lack of the SD card reader is pretty much the only regret that I have with ordering the 11"

David

n2deep
Oct 30, 2012, 02:08 PM
Well I just bought one. I think it's a great idea!!!!

SoIsays
Oct 30, 2012, 02:19 PM
This thing is worth, at most, $10 with shipping. The makers would still have a nice profit. Cheers for the people who took donated money and are trying to milk the most they can get for it.

Lukewarmwinner
Oct 30, 2012, 03:22 PM
I would really like one, but that price is just ridiculous.. Might just go with a normal SD..

orangezorki
Oct 30, 2012, 03:57 PM
And a thunderbolt cable costs how much?

torana355
Oct 30, 2012, 04:05 PM
Im getting one, its expensive but it can hold all my movies and free up my SSD.

Lukewarmwinner
Oct 30, 2012, 04:37 PM
And just to sum up; these are the only ones offering this feature right? No eBay-knockoffs or cheaper alternatives?

jomo25
Oct 30, 2012, 06:15 PM
Since the MBA11 doesnt have SD card, it wont work for me. But I just use one of the small USB MicroSD readers in my USB port. And those cost about $10 or less.

http://www.amazon.com/ELAGO-Mobile-Reader-World-Smallest-EL-RD-012/dp/B002K7EJDK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351638819&sr=1-1

This one to my surprise will work with 64GB Micro SDXC cards. There are others that explicitly state will work for Micro SDXC also, for about $5 more.

Not flush, but very small, and if used on the same side as the magsafe plug, doesn't add any width.

javisan
Oct 30, 2012, 06:19 PM
And just to sum up; these are the only ones offering this feature right? No eBay-knockoffs or cheaper alternatives?

From what I have been following, there are no knockoffs or cheaper alternatives yet.

----------

Do any of you guys know if having the SD Reader occupied permanently with this micro sd card have any negative effect on the battery life?

Beanoir
Oct 30, 2012, 06:30 PM
this has to be THE most overpriced junk i've ever seen!

Seamaster
Oct 31, 2012, 03:51 AM
This thing is worth, at most, $10 with shipping. The makers would still have a nice profit. Cheers for the people who took donated money and are trying to milk the most they can get for it.

On the other hand, they're selling 64GB SD cards to their backers at a price below cost read their latest update.

Jason99kr
Oct 31, 2012, 06:54 AM
I'm happy with external hard drive :D

jmgregory1
Oct 31, 2012, 07:39 AM
For those who think this should cost $0.10, you clearly have never thought of, designed and manufactured a product before. How much do you think the mold for the plastic or programming cost for CNC'ing of the aluminum cost? $0.10?

As a designer and manufacturer of any product, coming up with a selling price of your product has to take into account up-front costs, materials, overhead, production as well as factoring in the value of your invention in the first place and the perceived acceptable price the market will bare.

I'm not sure why I'm mentioning this, because I really don't expect some people to understand regardless of the reality of the situation.

I'll order one of these in the next couple of months. I don't need the extra space now and I'm hoping they start offering higher capacity and faster micro sd cards soon.

bigjnyc
Oct 31, 2012, 08:13 AM
This is a nice solution for extra storage, very nice idea and implementation... Would be even more awesome if a 128gb Micro SD was available... very expensive but nice to have.

Bollebep
Oct 31, 2012, 10:41 AM
I've been following this solution for a while now... quite interesting. Quite expensive yes, but it's a pretty cool solution. You can easily add GB's this way and it looks good! I am waiting on first deliveries though before I make up my mind wether or not to buy:)

dkl
Oct 31, 2012, 11:44 AM
MBA11 users would have to settle for this instead:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Flash-Drive-SDCZ33-032G-B35/dp/B00812F7O8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1351701803&sr=8-6&keywords=sandisk+cruzer

Lukewarmwinner
Oct 31, 2012, 04:53 PM
MBA11 users would have to settle for this instead:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Flash-Drive-SDCZ33-032G-B35/dp/B00812F7O8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1351701803&sr=8-6&keywords=sandisk+cruzer

I have actually been looking at that one, as a alternative to the nifty. It's really tiny and cheap!

paymonGT
Oct 31, 2012, 08:39 PM
Not sure why people are bashing their price.
They developed, from scratch, a novel and useful device. They should be compensated accordingly.

asting
Oct 31, 2012, 08:53 PM
For those who think this should cost $0.10, you clearly have never thought of, designed and manufactured a product before. How much do you think the mold for the plastic or programming cost for CNC'ing of the aluminum cost? $0.10?

As a designer and manufacturer of any product, coming up with a selling price of your product has to take into account up-front costs, materials, overhead, production as well as factoring in the value of your invention in the first place and the perceived acceptable price the market will bare.

I'm not sure why I'm mentioning this, because I really don't expect some people to understand regardless of the reality of the situation.

I'll order one of these in the next couple of months. I don't need the extra space now and I'm hoping they start offering higher capacity and faster micro sd cards soon.

Throw in some words like overhead, human management, synergy... Yeah that sounds good. Now it seems this piece of plastic is worth $35.

On a more realistic note perhaps the $35 seemed reasonable with their original estimate for order numbers, which was blown out of the water. By spreading those fixed costs over thousands of units they're a small part of the price now. Hell, they would probably make more if they sold them for $10-20 as it would increase their total revenue, with very little increase in cost (mostly fixed costs as you noted).
But this is a mac product, so why not overcharge?

jmgregory1
Nov 2, 2012, 04:29 PM
Throw in some words like overhead, human management, synergy... Yeah that sounds good. Now it seems this piece of plastic is worth $35.

On a more realistic note perhaps the $35 seemed reasonable with their original estimate for order numbers, which was blown out of the water. By spreading those fixed costs over thousands of units they're a small part of the price now. Hell, they would probably make more if they sold them for $10-20 as it would increase their total revenue, with very little increase in cost (mostly fixed costs as you noted).
But this is a mac product, so why not overcharge?

So, when you go to buy an ice cream cone, do you tell the ice cream shop that because the cost to produce the ice cream in such huge volumes drives down the cost, they should sell you a cone for $0.10 (because it only costs $0.05 per serving)?

The beauty of a free market is any company can produce and sell a product for whatever the market will bare. I'm guessing, but could be wrong, that part of the pricing strategy also includes factoring in distributors and retailers into the mix. So take the $35 and factor in a 65% margin for the retailer. That brings down the cost to $12.25 and beyond that the manufacturer needs to factor in discounts, extended payment terms, warehousing allowances as well as an additional 25% discount to cover a distributor margin into the price. So the real selling price in volume to retailers could be $9 or less.

Further, even if they under calculated what the real uptake would be, it's still going to be a fairly low number because they're only going to get a small percentage of mac users to buy, overall, so the real numbers they see profit wise may be small (relatively speaking).

Ryan T.
Nov 2, 2012, 04:33 PM
Anyone who is bashing their price should look into the costs of having custom fabrication like this done on a (fairly) small basis. It is exceedingly expensive. While I'm sure they're making some money at $35/ea (shipped to the US mind you), this is not like a big company that has the lines to make these themselves for .10 a piece.

asting
Nov 2, 2012, 06:54 PM
So, when you go to buy an ice cream cone, do you tell the ice cream shop that because the cost to produce the ice cream in such huge volumes drives down the cost, they should sell you a cone for $0.10 (because it only costs $0.05 per serving)?

The beauty of a free market is any company can produce and sell a product for whatever the market will bare. I'm guessing, but could be wrong, that part of the pricing strategy also includes factoring in distributors and retailers into the mix. So take the $35 and factor in a 65% margin for the retailer. That brings down the cost to $12.25 and beyond that the manufacturer needs to factor in discounts, extended payment terms, warehousing allowances as well as an additional 25% discount to cover a distributor margin into the price. So the real selling price in volume to retailers could be $9 or less.

Further, even if they under calculated what the real uptake would be, it's still going to be a fairly low number because they're only going to get a small percentage of mac users to buy, overall, so the real numbers they see profit wise may be small (relatively speaking).
Aren't they selling directly to the consumers, and not through retail at this point?

Also, it's true not many people will buy them. It is a free market so I won't. If the price was lower they would have much larger quantities sold, so they can afford to make less per unit.

Lifequest
Nov 2, 2012, 09:43 PM
Good idea however, it's not comparable to an internal SSD and very expensive.

High quality micro SD read/write 45MB/s that's about 10 times slower than your internal SSD (400MB-500MB/s).

SanDisk released a 95MB/s micro SD card version but it's $99 for 16GB. You're looking at $135 for 16GB addition with speeds 4 times slower than internal SSD.

A USB 3.0 flash stick is about $60 for 16GB.

Liking the options out there even if it is premium.

ABuNeNe
Nov 4, 2012, 01:34 AM
I would say either save up and upgrade your SSD to higher capacity or get a USB 3.0 1TB drive.

Doing this is paying money to get a little more space but sucky performance.

Lukewarmwinner
Nov 4, 2012, 01:44 AM
I would say either save up and upgrade your SSD to higher capacity or get a USB 3.0 1TB drive.

Doing this is paying money to get a little more space but sucky performance.

But you'll get a "kinda internal SSD" for less. I'm not saying it's "the best solution" but so far the only integrated which is not a SSD..

dkl
Nov 4, 2012, 10:08 AM
Just got the Sandisk Cruzer Fit for my 11"MBA today!

http://amzn.to/WmIEyf

Tiny and cheap!! But write speeds are a little (read: V-E-R-Y) slow though... But at the price I paid for this, I'm not complaining! Now I've got another 32gb of space to use...

MacConverted
Dec 21, 2012, 02:45 PM
so, just read all the threads and that's definitely promising but what do you do when you own a mac Air 11" which doesn't have an sd slot?

Also, been recommended today to get dropbox, but it doesn't look like you can install dropbox on the mac...

Does anyone has a solution for mac Air 11" pls?

Cheers :)

53x12
Dec 21, 2012, 03:11 PM
Also, been recommended today to get dropbox, but it doesn't look like you can install dropbox on the mac...

What do you mean? I am running Dropbox on my mac. Did you even try going to their website? I assume you didn't.

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading

kage207
Dec 21, 2012, 03:25 PM
Would be nice to have for music library instead of using Plex. I would love to have that for my music via iTunes and not on my SSD taking space. Though I don't listen to much music if it isn't Pandora or my Plex server.

Not worth the money though.