Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Hi there MacRumors Community!

I'm facing quite a challenge this time. Until a few months ago, I had 2 Windows XP computers, each with its own iTunes library and each one was used to sync an iPhone.

Then, both computers' HDDs crashed, and I lost everything on them. Luckily, a friend told me about a place that could try to recover my lost data, and so I handed my disks to them for recovery.

This week, they call me to say they were able to recover the data on my disks, but not the OS - apparently there were bad blocks on the disk so the OS data could not be read. They returned me the data they were able to recover on new disks, and after a quick check I was able to find my iTunes library folder for each of the computers.

Now, to the problem: is there a way to recover an iTunes library from just its folders, in a way that I can sync my iPhones without losing data? I'm afraid that if I just copy the iTunes folder inside the My Music folder in My Documents to my new computers in Windows XP and wherever they have to go in OSX Mountain Lion (my new laptop btw) won't work, as I also want playlists recovered. Also, during these months my family used my iPhones and I have lots of data to sync back to the computer - videos and photos are my main concern, but I also need other things like contacts, calendars and other data to stay in the iPhones when they sync.

I will understand if a perfect solution for this isn't possible, but I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have. Thanks once again to you guys :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.