Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is your default browser choice on 10.8?

• Total voters

Akarin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Nyon, Switzerland
I know many people use several browsers but which one do you set as the default browser and why?

I use most of them because as a developer, I need to test my sites in different ones but when it comes to browsing, my default is Safari. I think I'd prefer Chrome but the integration of Safari between OS X and iOS is just better (Reading List which Chrome doesn't support on iOS and that is a deal breaker).

Last edited:

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I noticed few quirks also. What are the annoying issues you speak about?

I don't like how the pop-up blocker is all or nothing (you can't whitelist certain sites and the blocker setting is buried now). I also had problems with Google images being slow to load and sometimes not loading at all.

Once it became too annoying, I switched to Firefox and no longer have these problems. Plus, for me Firefox seems a little bit faster to load pages. I do like the bookmarks sync aspect of Safari, and the back/forward swiping animation makes navigating easier, but this wasn't enough to overcome the annoyances.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Wow. Most people use Apple's browser on Apple's Machines running Apple's OS.

Imagine that.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Wow. Most people use Apple's browser on Apple's Machines running Apple's OS.

Imagine that.

Ask people a few years ago and the majority would be using Firefox and/or Chrome. Whether you like Safari or not, it has become a whole lot better while Firefox has become slow and nothing like it was in its early days (according to some people).

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I'm a Web Designer so I do use all browsers for testing purposes.. But my primary browser is Safari..

Main reason is the User Interface, while I love Chrome I've always hated the UI, I find it to be rather ugly..

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Safari for main purposes, Chrome for Flash content. Flash was removed entirely from my system...

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Chrome until ML and Chrome wasn't updated for a while, now I haven't gone back. Safari does what I want.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Ask people a few years ago and the majority would be using Firefox and/or Chrome.
I'd challenge that but have no way to prove it. I'd say the casual "masses" have always used Safari simply because it comes with the machine/OS. Similar to IE on windows.

I've been on Safari for years... never used anything else and I'm somewhat savvy enough to use and "tweak" something else. Just never bothered with it.

MMOTotal

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Azeroth
I have used Chrome since it was available on OSX. When Mountain Lion came out I tried Safari and it is fast but I keep going back to Chrome.

Both are amazing, don't know why people bother with Firefox these days.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I'd challenge that but have no way to prove it. I'd say the casual "masses" have always used Safari simply because it comes with the machine/OS. Similar to IE on windows.

I've been on Safari for years... never used anything else and I'm somewhat savvy enough to use and "tweak" something else. Just never bothered with it.

I don't doubt that having Safari preloaded helps it in the polls but I remember reading a thread here before where everyone was using Firefox and Safari was just Apple's software that was slow and didn't have the functionality as Firefox. Then in 2008 Chrome came out and everyone jumped on that bandwagon. This was Firefox's turning point where they did a significant change to Firefox and it became slow (there should be a few threads in this forum regarding this).

Of course the people in this forum don't represent the mass majority but as enthusiasts we openly express ourselves when something doesn't work for us and look for substitutes. Firefox was ahead of Safari but now it has caught up and maybe even surpassed it.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Safari. I think it was version 5.2 that made me move back from Chrome. Super quick, i've had zero crashes since upgrading to Mountain Lion, very few beachballs, great performance. I love it.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Totally Firefox. The ad blockers are better and Speed Dial is superior to Safari's one-page thumbnail thing. I also use Firefox on my Windows machines so it's easy to pass Speed Dial settings between them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.