PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac G5 LCS Sticker, I am confused

keremtezcan
Oct 29, 2012, 05:40 AM
Well I have a dual core 2 Ghz Late 2005 Power Mac G5 which to my knowledge is supposed to not be Liquid Cooled. However it has a sticker inside which says something like 'If you see liquid spillage, please refer to some manual' I don't remember exactly what it says. But this leads me to believe it might be Liquid Cooled? :confused:

Maybe someone could help me with this?

Thanks!

Colpeas
Oct 29, 2012, 06:02 AM
Late-2005 is definitely air-cooled. I have it myself, so I am completely sure of it. The only LC'd PowerMac G5s were DP 2.5, DP 2.7, and QC DP 2.5.

Manual was the same for all models.

SimonUK5
Oct 29, 2012, 06:23 AM
your be able to see the rad if its liquid cooled.

i wouldn't worry about it regardless. if it works fine, just keep on using it.

orestes1984
Oct 29, 2012, 06:26 AM
Dual Core/dual socket dual core (quad), yes... That machine you have there... no... And probably not a sticker that Apple put there either.

drorpheus
Oct 29, 2012, 11:15 AM
hey orestes1984, before you have a definitive answer with zero knowledge of the subject, look and search around first before you chime in.

OP, in late 2004 going into 2005 Apple started silkscreening a triangle liquid cooling warning symbol on the top of the metal cover that is the spacer lid to the powersupply, and in most regions of the world put a yellow warning sticker on the clear air dam deflector that said something along the lines of "Warning system contains advanced liquid cooling system, in the event of a leak if you see dripping unplug and power off and refer to manual" in which the manual says call Apple and take it in for a repair.

I have a early 2005 dual 2.3 which is air cooled, yet it has the warning print on the top of the power supply cover,I also have liquid cooled dual 2.7's with no warnings anywhere. and I've seen spare air dams with the sticker, I think Apple just used what they had on hand for those 2 parts, which happened to have Liquid Electroshock warnings on them.

The easiest way to tell is by your CPU speed, the Dual 2.5 (june 2004), the Dual 2.7 (early 2005), and the Quad 2.5 (late 2005) are the only models that have any liquid cooling system in them. I'll have find the pictures but its easy the heatsink is either a radiator (like a car) or a stack of cooling fins/sheets.

keremtezcan
Oct 29, 2012, 12:07 PM
Thanks drorpheus! I now understand why it has the sticker!
Thanks to everyone who answered. You have all been very helpful.