PDA

View Full Version : Ok to leave iBook charged at all times?

Peter Griffin
Sep 7, 2005, 07:52 AM
I was wondering if it was fine to leave the charging cable (not sure what it's called) to be attached to the iBook at all times even when the computer is turned off. Would it be better to disconnect the cable after I turn off the computer and re-plug it once I turn it back on?

mad jew
Sep 7, 2005, 07:54 AM
It's fine to leave it in.

Just fully discharge it and then recharge it once a month. :)

iFaulder
Sep 7, 2005, 08:09 AM
Its ok but like mad jew said make sure you fully discharge it every once and awhile. It helps the battery last longer.

Peter Griffin
Sep 7, 2005, 08:14 AM
Ok thanks guys. For some reason I had the feeling that leaving the battery at max charge all the time would hurt it.

mad jew
Sep 7, 2005, 08:17 AM
Nah, it's fine. Once it's fully charged, it won't recharge until it hits 95% anyway so it's effectively always charging then recharging, but not excessively (which would be bad for the battery). In other words, it works it all out for itself. :)

Just make sure you calibrate it every now and then (full discharge/recharge).

Lazyhound
Sep 7, 2005, 09:00 AM

Just fully discharge it and then recharge it once a month. :)I don't know if that's a good idea, fully discharging lithium batteries cuts their lifespan considerably.

Lacero
Sep 7, 2005, 09:21 AM
It's for calibration purposes. A complete discharge is not good as long as you don't leave it discharge for extended periods of time.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Sep 7, 2005, 09:26 AM
I don't know how many times I've posted this link, but here we go: Apple - Batteries - Notebooks (http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html)

jamesW135
Sep 8, 2005, 07:38 PM
IN simple terms, Yes its fine to leave it plugged in.

Peter Griffin
Sep 8, 2005, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the replies guys but I found something different in the link.

Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her iBook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

What do you think?

Zman5225
Sep 8, 2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the replies guys but I found something different in the link.

Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her iBook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

What do you think?

read the very next line after the one that you quoted above....ok ok i'll quote it...

"If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month."

I leave mine plugged in all the time, and discharge/recharge to cycle it once a month.

Peter Griffin
Sep 9, 2005, 02:05 AM
I guess I forgot to say that this is my primary machine, I don't have a desktop. I use it everyday for appx. 5 hours

Mord
Sep 9, 2005, 03:33 AM

Just fully discharge it and then recharge it once a month. :)

i do that once or twice a day.

chucknorris
Sep 9, 2005, 04:05 AM

Uh oh...

Mord
Sep 9, 2005, 11:55 AM
the first battery lasted two years and then a cell died and it only lasts around 2 hours max from the original 5-6 my current battery does 6 easy and 7 if i push it.

wdlove
Sep 9, 2005, 12:24 PM
Good information to know. My wife says that she has been doing it with her PowerBook. Haven't been doing it with the iBook and the battery is dead.

mad jew
Sep 9, 2005, 08:54 PM

Wow! :eek:

Why?

Mord
Sep 10, 2005, 04:27 AM
i take my ibook to school ad it discharges over the course of the day, then i get home put it on charge and do my homework on it at my desk, then i carry it around with me like a giant pda for the rest of the night, unless i'm actually going to do something.

Tahko
Sep 10, 2005, 05:30 AM
afaik I know, completely dicharging of iBook battery never happens until the battery is damaged or something. After battery has reached low charge enough, it goes to sleep but doesn't shut down. So I doubt running batteries that low now and then is harmful like someone suggested.

Mord
Sep 10, 2005, 08:13 AM
yeah, their is a region of voltage that it'll run with and a region it'll work with on sleep and it's 8-10V, it'll work fine as a 7V battery on sleep for a long time but it needs a high enough voltage for the dc-dc board to function.