PDA

View Full Version : Nexus 4 - Official - JUST ANNOUNCED $299 off contract [Merged]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 11:38 AM
Everything we knew it would be, plus release date and pricing:

• Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor with 1.5GHz Quad-Core Krait CPUs
• Operating System: Android 4.2, Jelly Bean
• Network: 3G (WCDMA), HSPA+
• Display: 4.7-inch WXGA True HD IPS Plus (1280 x 768 pixels)
• Memory: 8GB / 16GB
• RAM: 2GB
• Camera: 8.0MP rear / 1.3MP HD front
• Battery: 2,100mAh Li-Polymer (embedded) / Talk time: 15.3 hours / Standby: 390 hours
• Size: 133.9 x 68.7 x 9.1mm
• Weight: 139g
• Other: Wireless charging, NFC
• Available November 13th
• $299 (8GB) / $349 (16GB) unlocked. Or $199 through 2-year contract with Tmo.

The Verge's hands on and visit to the Google building really showcase the hardware and software of the device. Some great new features to 4.2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=66-4uMQqerA

New features:
Photo Steer Panaroma mode, futuristic camera UI, widgets in the lock screen, Quick Settings pull down, Swipe-like gesture base typing in the default keyboard...

----------

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/nexus-4-vs-iphone-5.jpeg

I'd like to add:

15.3 hours talk time / 330 standby time _vs_ 8 hours talk time / 225 standby

It might also be worth pointing out that on the iPhone side, the price should really start at $649. -_-

-----------

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/83fded76c95b28dc8dd7994f3fe6603f_1349955404.jpeg

Front of the Nexus 4 is beautiful. The back... love or hate. I can see both sides of the argument. I started out liking it, then hating it, now I'm liking it again because 1) it's an homage to the first Nexus live wallpaper, and 2) all the hands-on videos show that the back design is very subtle (phew).

The iPhone 5 still looks weird to me. Like it's more a chocolate bar than a phone. The back I think is love or hate too like the Nexus 4. I will say though that the diamond cut band around the iPhone 5 is absolutely gorgeous, especially the white one. The chrome around the Nexus 4 is unfortunate.

------------

Engadget's hands on: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/29/google-nexus-4-hands-on/

ugahairydawgs
Oct 29, 2012, 11:38 AM
Samsung Nexus hardly sold because of the silly exclusivity they worked out with Verizon. This one will be DOA because of the lack of LTE.

Good price, but this is nothing more than a middle of the pack phone.

The Face
Oct 29, 2012, 11:39 AM
Brilliant price for one of, if not the top spec phones available. Lack of SD card slot is a bummer, but nothing to cry about.

Considering flagship phones with similar/inferior specs retail for 500+ on release, this is a bargain.

Dave.UK
Oct 29, 2012, 11:42 AM
So 250ish for the 16GB in the UK? (Including VAT)

Pretty tempted!

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 11:45 AM
Why oh why isn't there a 32GB version for $399? :(

----------

Samsung Nexus hardly sold because of the silly exclusivity they worked out with Verizon. This one will be DOA because of the lack of LTE.

Good price, but this is nothing more than a middle of the pack phone.

HSPA+ is an incredibly acceptable compromise between high speed and battery saving measures. I actually love that this doesn't force LTE on people.

The LTE versions will come to those that need that much download speed, but IMO, it's excessive. Webpages load in under a second or two with HSPA+.

For such specs at such an insane price, this is wholly acceptable.

teesquared
Oct 29, 2012, 11:46 AM
Where do I sign up? 16 gig here I come!

Dave.UK
Oct 29, 2012, 11:48 AM
Just seen it announced that the 16GB UK Version will sell for 279

Stropaganda
Oct 29, 2012, 11:50 AM
15+ hours seems totally realistic if the phone does not have LTE. That is the trade-off.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can get this phone. As a Verizon employee, I get a discount on my monthly plan to make it as affordable as a prepaid plan (about $40 a month). I can't walk away from that and there is no way this phone is coming to Verizon. I really don't want an Android phone that isn't a Nexus. I'm too spoiled! So that leaves Windows Phone 8X. Yes or no? Would I be better off with the new HTC 1080p Android Phone instead?

Do you think a Verizon version will come out eventually? If so, when?

Dave.UK
Oct 29, 2012, 11:51 AM
http://cdn.asia.cnet.com/story_media/62219270/sc001.jpg

Jessica Lares
Oct 29, 2012, 11:52 AM
No LTE = Not even considering.

The Face
Oct 29, 2012, 11:52 AM
What 1080p HTC phone? The one called "butterfly"? If so, I'm pretty that was only released on Japan.

PDFierro
Oct 29, 2012, 11:53 AM
Wow! I kind of wondered if they would announce the devices today without an event, but I didn't think that would actually happen.

Everything looks great. Nexus 10 design looks a little better than the leaked photos, but I don't think I'm interested in Android on a tablet. But it's great for people who are.

How would you get a HSPA+ data plan for a tablet? Do AT&T and T-Mobile offer this? Great prices on the Nexus 7 32GB, mobile connectivity or otherwise.

My thing is, I was all set to get the Nexus 4 a week ago. But now I'm not so sure if I want to leave Verizon and their amazing coverage. But I do need a smartphone regardless.

The price of the Nexus 4 shocks everybody I'm sure. I know Google is all about offering things cheap, but damn. The device is everything that was leaked, but it looks good.

Dave.UK
Oct 29, 2012, 11:55 AM
From Google regarding LTE

The reason Google is skipping LTE is because it is offering the Nexus 4 as an unlocked, off contract phone for $300 around the world. LTE is not a uniform standard.

Stropaganda
Oct 29, 2012, 11:59 AM
What 1080p HTC phone? The one called "butterfly"? If so, I'm pretty that was only released on Japan.

It's rumored to be coming to Big Red, but I'm not sure when. Google "HTC DLX" or "HTC Droid Incredible X".

The Face
Oct 29, 2012, 12:05 PM
LTE is unnecessary, why does anyone need those kinds of speeds on a phone anyway? Not to mention LTE is ridiculously overpriced compared to it's HSPA+ counterpart.

smellysox8
Oct 29, 2012, 12:05 PM
People, it's $300-350 OFF contract. Seems like a perfect solution for people who enjoy the affordable services of StraightTalk.

3bs
Oct 29, 2012, 12:07 PM
Just seen it announced that the 16GB UK Version will sell for 279

Where and will that be on the 13th?

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 12:07 PM
Where is the wireless charging dock...?

Dave.UK
Oct 29, 2012, 12:09 PM
LTE is unnecessary, why does anyone need those kinds of speeds on a phone anyway? Not to mention LTE is ridiculously overpriced compared to it's HSPA+ counterpart.

Exactly, especially in the UK at least where we only have the one LTE provider at present which is limited to about 16 cities and very much over priced!

----------

Where and will that be on the 13th?

On the Google website. Dosent mention the date though, but that seems to be all over the net.

3bs
Oct 29, 2012, 12:10 PM
Exactly, especially in the UK at least where we only have the one LTE provider at present which is limited to about 16 cities and very much over priced!

----------

On the Google website. Dosent mention the date though, but that seems to be all over the net.

That won't work for me. I was hoping Carphone Warehouse would be selling it unlocked so I can go to Belfast and get it.

Dave.UK
Oct 29, 2012, 12:12 PM
That won't work for me. I was hoping Carphone Warehouse would be selling it unlocked so I can go to Belfast and get it.

They did leak the unlocked version at 389- Im guessing CPW will have to reduce their price accordingly now!

smellysox8
Oct 29, 2012, 12:12 PM
Here's a good video on the Nexus 4/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66-4uMQqerA&feature=g-u-u

The Face
Oct 29, 2012, 12:13 PM
Exactly, especially in the UK at least where we only have the one LTE provider at present which is limited to about 16 cities and very much over priced![COLOR="#808080"]Exactly, it's ridiculous. 50+ for 8gb LTE usage a month? Get a grip EE.

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 12:14 PM
I'm way more than happy to sacrifice LTE to get 15+ hour talk time from the battery. To compare, the iPhone is rated at 8 hour talk time.

It's not like HSPA+ is a slouch either, especially on ATT.

This is a beautiful compromise.

Eidorian
Oct 29, 2012, 12:19 PM
Oh wow, all those prices and without a contract.

MacRumorUser
Oct 29, 2012, 12:21 PM
Ok so my One X may shortly be replaced with a 16GB nexus 4.... :-)

Though my old bug bear of on screen buttons may hold me back.

But otherwise everything including pricing is pretty much unsurprising, but that's possibly a good thing.

aziatiklover
Oct 29, 2012, 12:24 PM
I'm way more than happy to sacrifice LTE to get 15+ hour talk time from the battery. To compare, the iPhone is rated at 8 hour talk time.

It's not like HSPA+ is a slouch either, especially on ATT.

This is a beautiful compromise.

I know that it sounds weird, but who really talks on a phone in 2012? Seriously all I see is texting, surf, email, chat etc...

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 12:29 PM
The hands on video from Verge makes the Nexus 4 look quite beautiful...

----------

I know that it sounds weird, but who really talks on a phone in 2012? Seriously all I see is texting, surf, email, chat etc...

Agreed. But more battery doesn't just translate to more talk time. It's more battery for everything. The standby is rated at 390 hours (again, just for comparison's sake, iPhone standby is 225 hours).

It's just how battery life is rated. Like "Miles Per Hour." No one really drives in hour-increments every time.

:)

theturtle
Oct 29, 2012, 12:32 PM
299 freaking dollars.

Off contract.

Wow.

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 12:33 PM
Anyone interested should really watch the Verge's visit to the Google building and their hands-on.

Lots of new features shown off. Not to mention the official devices themselves look quite stunning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=66-4uMQqerA

Quick Settings access. Either tap from the pull down, or two finger swipe from pull down to immediately get to it. I'm loving it.

waloshin
Oct 29, 2012, 12:34 PM
I might have to sell my G Nexus for this.

theturtle
Oct 29, 2012, 12:35 PM
damn. def won't be replacing my iphone but i do want it.

BUT, spending 300 on a phone, no matter how little the cost is, seems like a waste if i won't even be using the phone as my primary device :(

MacRumorUser
Oct 29, 2012, 12:35 PM

I guess it depends on age group/profile possibly ?

I'm mid 30's and use mine regularly for calls (in fact primarily for calls) and everyone I know with smartphones likewise. Especially if your self-employed, the phone is the way 99.5% of clients contact me.

The Face
Oct 29, 2012, 12:36 PM
My choice was between this and the HTC One X+ but after seeing the price difference my mind has been made.

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 12:44 PM
Gorilla glass 2 front and back. Plus the center frame protects the glass.

aziatiklover
Oct 29, 2012, 12:47 PM
I guess it depends on age group/profile possibly ?

I'm mid 30's and use mine regularly for calls (in fact primarily for calls) and everyone I know with smartphones likewise. Especially if your self-employed, the phone is the way 99.5% of clients contact me.

I'm mid 20's and don't get calls much, but people can reach me over emails, and imessages since my company is located overseas! I saved my clients big money on international fees, and especially my friends, and family members in the US!

Ps: my roll over att minutes are over 5000 lol

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 12:49 PM
Guys, the camera UI is... nuts. It's so future-thinking. And their Panaroma mode puts Apple's to shame.

This is innovation, ladies and gents. Take note.

ChazUK
Oct 29, 2012, 12:51 PM
Guys, the camera UI is... nuts. It's so future-thinking. And their Panaroma mode puts Apple's to shame.

The street view style panorama looks amazing. And this is an interim Android release..... :eek:

MacRumorUser
Oct 29, 2012, 12:54 PM
I'm mid 20's and get calls much, but people can reach me over emails, and imessages since my company is located overseas! I saved my clients big money on international fees, and especially my friends, and family members in the Us!

Ps: my roll over att minutes are over 5000 lol

Yeah it's probably an age profile thing and 'cultural' as in location thing :-)

Here in Ireland (especially rural Ireland where I'm based) people tend to much prefer face to face conversation and if they cant get that then telephone call at least. An email would be much too impersonal here.

In fact most my clients who do email me things, then follow it or precede it with a phone call to tell me they are emailing me :) :)

In fact come to think of it, if I didn't get a few phone calls each day filling me in with the 'gossip' of what's going on I'd feel like I'm missing out :-)

I wonder if other devices will get these features when they eventually upgrade software to 4.2

Oletros
Oct 29, 2012, 12:57 PM
349€ 16GB
I know what I will buy

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 01:01 PM
Something about the guys in the video look so much more humbling and honest than Tim Cook or Phil Shiller (I actually really like Cook). You don't see them straining as hard to impress, like Cook's "This is JAW DROPPING" type of talk.

When Apple keynotes, it looks like they're trying really hard to sell you something (I know, duh), but with these guys, it just looks like they're happy to show you their new toys and features.

ChazUK
Oct 29, 2012, 01:02 PM
Something about the guys in the video look so much more humbling and honest than Tim Cook or Phil Shiller (I actually really like Cook). You don't see them straining as hard to impress, like Cook's "This is JAW DROPPING" type of talk.

When Apple keynotes, it looks like they're trying really hard to sell you something (I know, duh), but with these guys, it just looks like they're happy to show you their new toys and features.

First thing I was shocked at was how much weight Matias Duarte seems to have lost. He looked so skinny in the Verge vid.

dojoman
Oct 29, 2012, 01:12 PM
WTF no LTE and 8gb? You must be joking.

MacRumorUser
Oct 29, 2012, 01:14 PM

I guess at this price range you have to make some considerations and you can buy 16GB.

waloshin
Oct 29, 2012, 01:15 PM

Have we forgot its only $300 off contract and $350 for 16 Gb and 15 hours talk time.

zbarvian
Oct 29, 2012, 01:17 PM
The pricing easily the most impressive part, though 8 GB is pretty paltry. No LTE is ridiculous, and that design still doesn't look good.

Dave.UK
Oct 29, 2012, 01:21 PM
The pricing easily the most impressive part, though 8 GB is pretty paltry. No LTE is ridiculous, and that design still doesn't look good.

Was wondering when you was going to pop by an give us your opinion!

Google have explained why it has no LTE. Dosent mean later carrier specific versions wont have LTE.

As for the design, thats always personal opinion. I think it looks pretty amazing.

8GB will suit some people, especially at that price, but dont forget the 16GB version also available. No doubt a 32GB will feature in the future line up, although would have been nice from the start.

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 01:22 PM

$50 bucks to go up to 16GB.

HSPA+ is no slouch, especially on ATT. It's a perfect compromise between download speeds and battery life. My webpages load in 2-3 seconds on HSPA+ Tmobile. Is LTE even faster? Sure, but a few seconds aren't a deal breaker. If it is that important, wait for the carrier specific versions.

And in exchange of LTE, you get 15+ hours of talk time, 330 hours of standby. Worth it.

zbarvian
Oct 29, 2012, 01:37 PM

HSPA+ is no slouch, especially on ATT. It's a perfect compromise between download speeds and battery life. My webpages load in 2-3 seconds on HSPA+ Tmobile. Is LTE even faster? Sure, but a few seconds aren't a deal breaker. If it is that important, wait for the carrier specific versions.

And in exchange of LTE, you get 15+ hours of talk time, 330 hours of standby. Worth it.

I really hope you aren't one of the Android fans claiming Apple was playing catch-up by just now introducing LTE to the iPhone...

And we'll have to put those battery claims to the test, I can't remember any phone in real-life usage living up to those claims.

daveathall
Oct 29, 2012, 01:38 PM

Expected your bias filled comments.

Design looks great to me.

zbarvian
Oct 29, 2012, 01:40 PM

I'm not biased. I know a good-looking device when I see it. This one has a disco glass back and is kinda chunky.

adztaylor
Oct 29, 2012, 01:43 PM
Gotta admit, that off contract price is amazing.

daveathall
Oct 29, 2012, 01:44 PM
I'm not biased.

You're kidding yourself mate.

Tinmania
No LTE = Not even considering.

I know it is the most important thing ever!

Nothing else matters if I can't load a Web page that takes 2s to load on HSPA+ in 1.9999s on LTE.

Mike

rrl
Google is just slowly turning the screws. What a great bang for the buck.

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 01:45 PM
I really hope you aren't one of the Android fans claiming Apple was playing catch-up by just now introducing LTE to the iPhone...

And we'll have to put those battery claims to the test, I can't remember any phone in real-life usage living up to those claims.

Do GSM unlocked phones typically offer LTE? I'm not sure. The carrier-versions will solve your qualm. And again, the disparity between HSPA+ and LTE at this given time is small while the tradeoffs are great.

I believe the battery claims can live up. My Galaxy Nexus running HSPA+ on Tmo gets absurdly good battery life.

If you're not interested, zb, it's all good. For the rest of us, this is a heck of a release.

It's not just the affordability, it's also the value. It's a great balance of price, future-specs, great software update, with a few compromises that are, in my opinion, totally worth it. I'll take nearly double the battery life claims of the iPhone over saving a couple of seconds on webpage loads any day.

joshwithachance
Oct 29, 2012, 01:47 PM
Very lackluster device if you ask me, especially for a flagship. The price is good though.

sarcosis
Oct 29, 2012, 01:47 PM

HSPA+ has been fast enough for me for a good long while. I don't do large files over cellular anyway. If anything is big, i just wait to do it at home. the LTE in my area is kind a flaky when I go inside buildings anyway, so loss of LTE with increase boost to up time is a good trade off IMO. The price is killer though. I mean you got > S3 specs with the Quad-Core on non-SAMOLED Pentile Screen with the same amount of RAM as the NA versions of the S3, all while getting to experience pure Google. It's got me sold!

rmhop81
Oct 29, 2012, 01:48 PM
Do GSM unlocked phones typically offer LTE? I'm not sure. The carrier-versions will solve your qualm. And again, the disparity between HSPA+ and LTE at this given time is small while the tradeoffs are great.

I believe the battery claims can live up. My Galaxy Nexus running HSPA+ on Tmo gets absurdly good battery life.
no they don't. check out note ii international unlocked, doesn't offer LTE.

zbarvian
Oct 29, 2012, 01:50 PM

If you're not interested, zb, it's all good. For the rest of us, this is a heck of a release.

It's not just the affordability, it's also the value. It's a great balance of price, future-specs, great software update, with a few compromises that are, in my opinion, totally worth it. I'll take nearly double the battery life claims of the iPhone over saving a couple of seconds on webpage loads any day.

I totally agree with the last point. $349 for a future-proof handset is pretty incredible.

----------

You're kidding yourself mate.

I'm not. Android 4.2 looks awesome, seriously. Can I not dislike the design of this phone?

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 01:55 PM

I see. Thank you, sir.

Just for comparison's sake... an unlocked iPhone is $649 (no LTE either, correct?) versus an unlocked Nexus 4 for $349 with better specs. It's... maddening.

----------

The biggest mistake, in my opinion?

No 32GB version. Really don't understand why.

rmhop81
Oct 29, 2012, 01:55 PM
I see. Thank you, sir.

Just for comparison's sake... an unlocked iPhone is $649 (no LTE either, correct?) versus an unlocked Nexus 4 for $349 with better specs. It's... maddening.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875176350

there is an S3 unlocked, no LTE

Technarchy
Oct 29, 2012, 01:56 PM

While I personally don't care about LTE, the fact that Apple was harangued by trolls for not having LTE in the 4S, yet the lack of LTE in Nex4 is now okay...well it's pretty clear what's happening here.

I've been clear on my opinion on LTE. Don't need it, don't want it. HSPA+ gets it done well enough. However LTE is great for CDMA because EVDO is terrible.

daveathall
Oct 29, 2012, 01:56 PM
I'm not. Android 4.2 looks awesome, seriously. Can I not dislike the design of this phone?

i think I'm going to do what most others do, from now on I'll just ignore you.

smellysox8
Oct 29, 2012, 01:57 PM
While I personally don't care about LTE, the fact that Apple was harangued by trolls for not having LTE in the 4S, yet the lack of LTE in Nex4 is now okay...well it's pretty clear what's happening here.

How much was the 4S off contract when introduced?

MacRumorUser
Oct 29, 2012, 01:57 PM
No 32GB version. Really don't understand why.

Maybe at the price they are selling the phone they don't want to piss off the other manufacturers making Android handsets so have capped it at 16 given how cheap this is off contract.

rmhop81
Oct 29, 2012, 01:58 PM

$650 from apple....higher from other retailers

i believe it's still $550 from Apple now that the iPhone 5 has been released.

zbarvian
i think I'm going to do what most others do, from now on I'll just ignore you.

Go for it champ.

smellysox8
i'm not biased.

lol

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 01:59 PM

Well done. Plus, it didn't offer HSPA+ on all networks. Only ATT, if I'm correct?

daveathall
Oct 29, 2012, 02:03 PM

I've been clear on my opinion on LTE. Don't need it, don't want it. HSPA+ gets it done well enough. However LTE is great for CDMA because EVDO is terrible.

LTE is only available in a few cities in the UK, and then at an unreasonable price so is of no interest to me.

If you are insinuating that I have at any time harangued Apple about LTE then please provide a link/quote.

The Face
Oct 29, 2012, 02:04 PM
Well done. Plus, it didn't offer HSPA+ on all networks. Only ATT, if I'm correct?It didn't offer HSPA+ on any networks here in the UK.

waloshin
Oct 29, 2012, 02:04 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875176350

there is an S3 unlocked, no LTE

Still almost double the price.

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 02:06 PM
A lil more on the wireless induction charger: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-announces-Wireless-Charging-Orb-for-the-Nexus-4_id36060#1-

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/articles/70317-image/Google-Wireless-Charging-Orb.jpg

Wonder what the price of this lil fella will be.

MacRumorUser
Oct 29, 2012, 02:07 PM
It didn't offer HSPA+ on any networks here in the UK.

Wrong.

It was supported by 3UK for HSPA+

http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/12/13/iphone-4s-review-on-three-uks-hspa-network/

rmhop81
Oct 29, 2012, 02:08 PM
A lil more on the wireless induction charger: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-announces-Wireless-Charging-Orb-for-the-Nexus-4_id36060#1-

Image (http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/articles/70317-image/Google-Wireless-Charging-Orb.jpg)

i don't understand the point of wireless charging. makes your phone unusable during that time.

The Face
Oct 29, 2012, 02:11 PM
Wrong.

http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/12/13/iphone-4s-review-on-three-uks-hspa-network/What? When I was using my 3UK sim in my 4S I never once picked up HSPA+ on it, it was always only 3G no matter where I went.

IFRIT
Oct 29, 2012, 02:12 PM

There are 2 versions of the Note 2 available in the U.K.

Technarchy
Oct 29, 2012, 02:12 PM
LTE is only available in a few cities in the UK, and then at an unreasonable price so is of no interest to me.

If you are insinuating that I have at any time harangued Apple about LTE then please provide a link/quote.

No I wasnt speaking about you specifically, but lets not pretend their was no significant contingent of "omg no LTE" detractors being a nuisance when the 4S launched. I don't care enough to search back through anyone's postings to create a gotcha moment.

In the UK, it's not as much of a big deal for you, but stateside LTE was/is a big deal.

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 02:14 PM
Just want to take a moment... RIP Galaxy Nexus.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3572092/samsung-galaxy-nexus-google-play-store-discontinued

cotak
Oct 29, 2012, 02:14 PM
Very lackluster device if you ask me, especially for a flagship. The price is good though.

O'Really?

It has wireless charging. Google realizes that with the level the wireless technology (wifi, bluetooth, NFC) is now no one really needs wires anymore. Apple introduce a new proprietary wire with a 30 bucks adaptor with their new flag ship devices.

Don't know about you but one company's thinking ahead and the other is turning back to it's old ways before Jobs came back.

The only thing really lacking for some people is the LTE. It's not a huge deal what you get for it is penta band and world wide operation on any GSM network. If you never leave your home country that might not be important to you. But if you want to keep using your maps and data connected apps anywhere else it pays to be able to pick up a cheap local pay as you go sim card.

IFRIT
Oct 29, 2012, 02:15 PM

Image (http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/articles/70317-image/Google-Wireless-Charging-Orb.jpg)

I'd imagine it won't be cheap as Google/LG will trying to make up for the lack of profit on the actual phone.

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 02:15 PM
i don't understand the point of wireless charging. makes your phone unusable during that time.

It does? How do you know? That would definitely be a shame if you can't keep the screen on while charging.

Still, I hope wireless charging takes off so the day can come where that's possible.

But you're sure it's unusable while charging?

IFRIT
Oct 29, 2012, 02:17 PM
Wrong.

http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/12/13/iphone-4s-review-on-three-uks-hspa-network/

Only 3 had/have a wide spread HSPA+ network, O2 have a few masts here and there but nothing wide spread.

daveathall
Oct 29, 2012, 02:19 PM
No I wasnt speaking about you specifically, but lets not pretend their was no significant contingent of "omg no LTE" detractors being a nuisance when the 4S. I don't care enough to search back through anyone's postings to create a gotcha moment.

In the UK, it's not as much of a big deal for you, but stateside LTE was/is a big deal.

Yes, I got to agree, there are some that seem to bat certain features from one side to the other (on both sides of the iPhone/Android divide mind), can't argue against that fact. I did have a 4S and loved it.

LTE over in the UK is a bit of a letdown, one carrier was given the go ahead to roll it out at the end of this year whereas the remainder will have to wait until the end of next year, I would use it very little TBH, but it would be good to have the choice.

Throw Out
Oct 29, 2012, 02:19 PM
Well it took too long, I recently bought a used in mint condition S3 for 350 EUR.
The Nexus is nice, but the resale value on the S3 is better.

smellysox8
Oct 29, 2012, 02:22 PM
No I wasnt speaking about you specifically, but lets not pretend their was no significant contingent of "omg no LTE" detractors being a nuisance when the 4S launched. I don't care enough to search back through anyone's postings to create a gotcha moment.

The 4S had no LTE while other phones in that price range did. It was out-featured then at that price point. You are making an irrelevant, baseless argument. Go away.

steviewhy
I'm still on the fence between this and the Note II but the scales are definitely tipping toward the Nexus 4 for me at this point. I'll get to keep my current plan and not get bitten by some of these exorbitant LTE plans that will come with the Note II.

3bs
It does? How do you know? That would definitely be a shame if you can't keep the screen on while charging.

Still, I hope wireless charging takes off so the day can come where that's possible.

I doubt he meant it that way :p

IFRIT
Oct 29, 2012, 02:24 PM
Dunno why people are saying it is lack luster, the internals are top of the line with the acception of not including LTE and maybe lacking in storage for a very small minority, with the lastest version of Android which has some very nice new features. All enclosed in a Gorilla Glass 2 front and back case. All at a bargain price, this phone is awesome as far as i'm concerned :confused:

----------

Yes, I got to agree, there are some that seem to bat certain features from one side to the other (on both sides of the iPhone/Android divide mind), can't argue against that fact. I did have a 4S and loved it.

LTE over in the UK is a bit of a letdown, one carrier was given the go ahead to roll it out at the end of this year whereas the remainder will have to wait until the end of next year, I would use it very little TBH, but it would be good to have the choice.

2 carriers, EE and 3.

joshwithachance
Oct 29, 2012, 02:25 PM
O'Really?

It has wireless charging. Google realizes that with the level the wireless technology (wifi, bluetooth, NFC) is now no one really needs wires anymore. Apple introduce a new proprietary wire with a 30 bucks adaptor with their new flag ship devices.

Don't know about you but one company's thinking ahead and the other is turning back to it's old ways before Jobs came back.

The only thing really lacking for some people is the LTE. It's not a huge deal what you get for it is penta band and world wide operation on any GSM network. If you never leave your home country that might not be important to you. But if you want to keep using your maps and data connected apps anywhere else it pays to be able to pick up a cheap local pay as you go sim card.

I see where you're coming from, but I personally just don't like the look of it. It looks exactly like the Galaxy Nexus, possibly uglier, which is a cheap piece of crap. I'm sick of these highly specced Android devices with cheap, plastic builds. To each their own though.

daveathall
Oct 29, 2012, 02:28 PM
Dunno why people are saying it is lack luster, the internals are top of the line with the acception of not including LTE and maybe lacking in storage for a very small minority, with the lastest version of Android which has some very nice new features. All enclosed in a Gorilla Glass 2 front and back case. All at a bargain price, this phone is awesome as far as i'm concerned :confused:

----------

2 carriers, EE and 3.

Really? I didnt know about 3. I stand corrected.:)

rmhop81
Oct 29, 2012, 02:34 PM

i'm just assuming based on the description...no wires needed just place it on a charging mat. yeah it's cool u don't have to plug it in, but it has to sit on a charging mat or that google thing you pictured. How does that help me if I actually want to use the device when it's charging?

I use my iPhone all the time when it's plugged in, can't imagine just letting it sit on a desk and not touch it that entire time.

now wireless charging how Wifi/bluetooth works, now we're talking.

Roessnakhan
Oct 29, 2012, 02:35 PM
LTE hasn't made its way to my area yet, so only being HSPA+ isn't much of a dealbreaker for me, and at $299 it is a damn-attractive product!

rmhop81
Oct 29, 2012, 02:36 PM
double post sorry

3bs
Oct 29, 2012, 02:40 PM
i'm just assuming based on the description...no wires needed just place it on a charging mat. yeah it's cool u don't have to plug it in, but it has to sit on a charging mat or that google thing you pictured. How does that help me if I actually want to use the device when it's charging?

I use my iPhone all the time when it's plugged in, can't imagine just letting it sit on a desk and not touch it that entire time.

I hate using my phone when it's plugged in so being able to pick it up easily from this charging pod is great. Of course you could always not buy it and just charge your phone with the cable. Options are great :D

AR999
Oct 29, 2012, 02:40 PM
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_8gb

Just WOW.

Only 8GB at that price but the specs are on par with the galaxy s iii yet it costs around half, I simply could not understand any argument stating the iphone offered better value for money (uk price 539 unlock vs 239 for the nexus).

This is fantastic, oh an the new nexus 10 tablet has 2560x1600, quite a bit higher than the retina ipad and cheaper too. Great news!!

Dave.UK
Oct 29, 2012, 02:41 PM
Some details about the wireless charging orb.
http://www.slashgear.com/nexus-4-wireless-charging-orb-revealed-29254562/

cotak
Oct 29, 2012, 02:41 PM
I see where you're coming from, but I personally just don't like the look of it. It looks exactly like the Galaxy Nexus, possibly uglier, which is a cheap piece of crap. I'm sick of these highly specced Android devices with cheap, plastic builds. To each their own though.

Funny you should say this because I believe this phone has a glass back just like the 4/S. And frankly none of use have seen it in person yet. I'll wait till the real photos comes out.

sviato
Oct 29, 2012, 02:43 PM
No LTE

also LG, no thanks

AR999
No LTE

But look at the price...

Can you at least acknowledge that is a very decent product at that price.

mattopotamus

Just WOW.

Only 8GB at that price but the specs are on par with the galaxy s iii yet it costs around half, I simply could not understand any argument stating the iphone offered better value for money (uk price 539 unlock vs 239 for the nexus).

This is fantastic, oh an the new nexus 10 tablet has 2560x1600, quite a bit higher than the retina ipad and cheaper too. Great news!!

that really is an insane price point. the 16gb is only $349

rmhop81
I hate using my phone when it's plugged in so being able to pick it up easily from this charging pod is great. Of course you could always not buy it and just charge your phone with the cable. Options are great :D

i have the 6foot cable that i use on both iPad and iPhone....so sitting in recliner and having it plugged in is no big deal. Now using the short charger...of course that's a PITA.

My point is i just don't see what the purpose is of wireless charging if it has to go sit on a base somewhere. Just plug the damn thing in lol

Brounmoney
Oct 29, 2012, 02:44 PM

Just WOW.

Only 8GB at that price but the specs are on par with the galaxy s iii yet it costs around half, I simply could not understand any argument stating the iphone offered better value for money (uk price £539 unlock vs £239 for the nexus).

You must not be much of an apple fan. I am not the biggest apple fan, but I did come back to the iPhone for android to try it out. I am liking it I guess.

You are right this is great value for your money. Being that it is unlocked is huge for that kind of price. I don't know that you are going to find too many people on this forum that will agree with you thought. I just wish it had LTE. That is the one thing that will keep me using my iPhone for longer.

gto55
Oct 29, 2012, 02:44 PM
nexus 4 16gb + nexus 7 32gb cheaper than iPhone 5 16gb :eek:

jedivulcan
Oct 29, 2012, 02:50 PM
My mind is blown. I am getting a Nexus 4 without a doubt.

waloshin
Oct 29, 2012, 02:51 PM
Funny you should say this because I believe this phone has a glass back just like the 4/S. And frankly none of use have seen it in person yet. I'll wait till the real photos comes out.

The phone is covered in Gorillia glass 2 front and back.

mattopotamus
Oct 29, 2012, 02:52 PM
No LTE

also LG, no thanks

really do not understand why they would leave out LTE....All of their other phones have it, and this is literally brand new.

zbarvian
Oct 29, 2012, 02:53 PM
nexus 4 16gb + nexus 7 32gb cheaper than iPhone 5 16gb :eek:

If anything, Google's big showing today was just how much it undercuts Apple in pricing.

Dave.UK
Oct 29, 2012, 02:55 PM
really do not understand why they would leave out LTE....All of their other phones have it, and this is literally brand new.

The reason Google is skipping LTE is because it is offering the Nexus 4 as an unlocked, off contract phone for $300 around the world. LTE is not a uniform standard.

vastoholic
Oct 29, 2012, 02:55 PM
That just the right price to get to try android and not feel guilty. Since I don't have LTE yet anyway, it's not a big deal. Not that I want to move away from the iPhone, but I've been wanting to try android tablets but haven't been able to get used the UI yet. I need to check with AT&T to see if I still have some sort of upgrade left since I didn't use the full subsidy price on the 5. Maybe I can get away with the Nexus 4 for even cheaper on a plan.

mattopotamus
Oct 29, 2012, 03:01 PM
That just the right price to get to try android and not feel guilty. Since I don't have LTE yet anyway, it's not a big deal. Not that I want to move away from the iPhone, but I've been wanting to try android tablets but haven't been able to get used the UI yet. I need to check with AT&T to see if I still have some sort of upgrade left since I didn't use the full subsidy price on the 5. Maybe I can get away with the Nexus 4 for even cheaper on a plan.

That is a good point. When I was testing the android waters I bought the nexus b.c the price and "pure android" experience. I ended up selling it for the same I paid for it.

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 03:02 PM
My point is i just don't see what the purpose is of wireless charging if it has to go sit on a base somewhere. Just plug the damn thing in lol

Cynics: "However that doesn't mean there's no utility. Convenience is the main thing. Plop it down and boom it's charging. Perfect for a nightstand by the bed. Get that midnight call and no worries of wires getting yanked around or holding your head uncomfortably off the bed then when your done throwing it back on the pad. Also becomes a home vase for the phone, "where's my phone?" It's going to be on a 10"x10" section of your home (not an issue for me)."

There's plenty of reason to want wireless charging to take off. We're already in such a wireless world, we're okay with wireless syncing (which the computer is also connected to a wire), why not also wireless charging?

Even if the Nexus Orb charger is a flub, someone's gotta get the party started.

----------

If anything, Google's big showing today was just how much it undercuts Apple in pricing.

It's more than pricing. It's the value of what you're getting. It'd be different if it was low priced with low specs, but it's low priced with a lot of future-proof specs. Then you throw in the "small" .1 Jelly Bean update into the mix...

Once again, striking the balance between affordability, good hardware, and a great software update.

Stropaganda
Oct 29, 2012, 03:03 PM
Ugh. This hurts. This really hurts.

This is a lousy year to be a Verizon customer. No Nexus 4. Atrocious Verizon home button on the Galaxy Note 2. Tons of bloatware and mediocre processor on the Droid HD. I really hope that the rumored 1080p HTC device can possibly save us.

rmhop81
Oct 29, 2012, 03:03 PM
Cynics: "However that doesn't mean there's no utility. Convenience is the main thing. Plop it down and boom it's charging. Perfect for a nightstand by the bed. Get that midnight call and no worries of wires getting yanked around or holding your head uncomfortably off the bed then when your done throwing it back on the pad. Also becomes a home vase for the phone, "where's my phone?" It's going to be on a 10"x10" section of your home (not an issue for me)."

There's plenty of reason to want wireless charging to take off. We're already in such a wireless world, we're okay with wireless syncing (which the computer is also connected to a wire), why not also wireless charging?

Someone's gotta get the party started.

----------

It's more than pricing. It's the value and what you're getting. It'd be different if it was low priced with low specs, but it's low priced with a lot of future-proof specs. Then you throw in the "small" .1 Jelly Bean update into the mix...

Once again, striking the balance between affordability, good hardware, and a great software update.
i see your point. but after i've used my phone all day long and it's dying when i'm chilling watching tv....i don't want to have to sit it down on a mat and not use the device for 2 hours while it charges.

I see your points tho, make sense. It will get there eventually.

IFRIT
Oct 29, 2012, 03:05 PM
Really? I didnt know about 3. I stand corrected.:)

EE were forced to sell some of their spectrum to 3 when they merged.

daveathall
Oct 29, 2012, 03:06 PM
EE were forced to sell some of their spectrum to 3 when they merged.

Thank you.:)

smellysox8
Oct 29, 2012, 03:08 PM
i see your point. but after i've used my phone all day long and it's dying when i'm chilling watching tv....i don't want to have to sit it down on a mat and not use the device for 2 hours while it charges.

Nexus 4 can still be charged with a cable. No one is forcing you to wirelessly charge it. :rolleyes:

Stropaganda
Oct 29, 2012, 03:08 PM

Hence the 15+ hours of talk time. I'm assuming they want you to wake up, use the heck out of the phone, and plop it down when you go to bed without having to worry if the charge is going to make it through the day.

RotaryP7
Oct 29, 2012, 03:14 PM
It's coming to TMO on 11/14 for $199. Hmm. But for $100 more why not just buy it full price? :rolleyes:

Biggest downfall. No LTE.

From Google, they decided not to because of money. It's a budget phone. If it had LTE, it wouldn't of been $299/$349.

zbarvian
Oct 29, 2012, 03:16 PM
It's more than pricing. It's the value of what you're getting. It'd be different if it was low priced with low specs, but it's low priced with a lot of future-proof specs. Then you throw in the "small" .1 Jelly Bean update into the mix...

I know, I factored that into my statement. Obviously you're getting pretty great products for considerably lower than Apple's offerings.

cotak
Oct 29, 2012, 03:26 PM

Wireless charging in addition to cable. Not mutually exclusive.

AR999
Oct 29, 2012, 03:30 PM
It's coming to TMO on 11/14 for $199. Hmm. But for $100 more why not just buy it full price? :rolleyes:

From Google, they decided not to because of money. It's a budget phone. If it had LTE, it wouldn't of been $299/$349.

It's certainly budget in terms of price but not in terms of feature set.

IFRIT
Oct 29, 2012, 03:31 PM
Thise interested should definatly watch this video

66-4uMQqerA

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 29, 2012, 03:32 PM
Day one purchase for me!!

The new features of 4.2 just cancelled out any desire to get any other Android phone on the market. WHO KNOWS when other Android phones will get 4.2??? But Nexus devices will have to pronto.

For those who are saying wireless charging I don't understand why you wouldn't want it. How easy is it to just place your phone on a magnetic dock without even paying attention and then have it start charging? It can be in landscape or portrait and activates a desktop mode. You can use it while it is charging. And guess what? If you don't want to use it you don't have to. Just plug in the standard USB cable. If you work at a desk all day like me then you basically have a fully charged phone all day. Nice!

$299-$349 for an unlocked phone with all of the best hardware specs (minus LTE) and latest software features is amazing!

The Face
Oct 29, 2012, 03:33 PM

Once again, striking the balance between affordability, good hardware, and a great software update.Exactly, the announcement of the Nexus 10 and Nexus 4 was a massive "We can offer better for less" to Apple from Google. Its' s not as if the Nexus 10 is a cheap chinese tablet witb rubbish hardware, it's a genuine premium product offering top of the range hardware for less which triumphs over Apples "top of the range iPad"

Google is just proving that Apple are charging more for their products just because they can. They don't care about its customer's, they just want your money.

F123D
Oct 29, 2012, 03:34 PM
I can almost live with 16gb but no LTE hurts since I've had a taste of LTE in my area (avg 25-35, up to 50mbps) but that price is really amazing.

Note II or Nexus 4...

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 29, 2012, 03:41 PM

Money was a factor but they said battery life also played a big factor because since LTE in not as wide spread as the older technologies then you have to accommodate for those too. For example in the Verizon Galaxy Nexus you have to have an LTE radio and a CDMA radio. Also, most of the world is not covered in LTE so they would have to make too many variations of the phones.

Another big reason is that they cannot control the software updates on those carrier locked devices.

hallaisen
Oct 29, 2012, 03:47 PM
First time android buyer here. How do I buy this thing? I'm in Australia but have people in the US I could have it shipped it to if its released there first.

rmhop81
Oct 29, 2012, 03:52 PM
Exactly, the announcement of the Nexus 10 and Nexus 4 was a massive "We can offer better for less" to Apple from Google. Its' s not as if the Nexus 10 is a cheap chinese tablet witb rubbish hardware, it's a genuine premium product offering top of the range hardware for less which triumphs over Apples "top of the range iPad"

Google is just proving that Apple are charging more for their products just because they can. They don't care about its customer's, they just want your money.
even if that's the case...have you dealt with Google Customer Service? it's a complete joke!

apollo1444
Oct 29, 2012, 03:57 PM
if Apple made the iPhone 5 LTE-less people would not stop bashing them left and right

for what I've read this device is LTE-less nobody is talking about this... it's cool to hate on Apple I guess

rmhop81
Oct 29, 2012, 03:59 PM
if Apple made the iPhone 5 LTE-less people would not stop bashing them left and right

for what I've read this device is LTE-less nobody is talking about this... it's cool to hate on Apple I guess

people bash, but they still buy the crap out of it haha

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 04:07 PM
The trade off for LTE is so worth it. It's not like HSPA+ is a slouch. It'll be the difference of a couple of seconds when loading pages. In exchange? 15+ hour talk time, 330 hour standby time. I'll take that any day.

aeboi
Oct 29, 2012, 04:07 PM
Great price, if it weren't for the non-removable battery and lack of SD card slot, I'd be in on this.

waloshin
Oct 29, 2012, 04:10 PM

The iPhone 5 is also twice as much.

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 04:12 PM
even if that's the case...have you dealt with Google Customer Service? it's a complete joke!

Apple's customer service is the one area no one will beat Apple in, probably ever.

----------

An unlocked iPhone is also LTE-less, as are a lot of unlocked devices. But none of them offer these sorts of specs for this sort of price.

$649 for unlocked iPhone versus $349 for unlocked Nexus 4. Both LTE-less.

The carrier versions of the Nexus 4 will have LTE. Wait for those. The iPhone 4S carrier versions didn't offer LTE.

aeboi
Oct 29, 2012, 04:13 PM

Where's this $350 iPhone 5?

rmhop81
Oct 29, 2012, 04:16 PM
Apple's customer service is the one area no one will beat Apple in, probably ever.

----------

An unlocked iPhone is also LTE-less, as are a lot of unlocked devices. But none of them offer these sorts of specs for this sort of price.

The carrier versions of the Nexus 4 will have LTE. Wait for those. The iPhone 4S carrier versions didn't offer LTE.
yeah, i know that. Have you dealt with Google Customer Service though? I returned a Nexus phone and it took them 1 month of me hassling them and doing a chargeback on my CC to get my money back. It's not like it's just not bad, it's horrible!

The Face
Oct 29, 2012, 04:16 PM

for what I've read this device is LTE-less nobody is talking about this... it's cool to hate on Apple I guessFail.

The iPhone 4S has no LTE and still costs more than the Nexus 4 sim free.

whoknows87
Oct 29, 2012, 04:29 PM
Just listed my iPhone 5 on eBay will order the nexus, I don't have LTE anyways, this will be my first Android device, looks really attractive, cant'e beat the price at all , didn't think I will say this but will be making the switch:confused:

apollo1444
Oct 29, 2012, 04:48 PM
Fail.

The iPhone 4S has no LTE and still costs more than the Nexus 4 sim free.

what is the fail here? isn't the nexus 4 and evolution of the previous model? if so it fails miserably by not getting LTE in the first place, that is the fail

who cares what the iPhone 4S costs the original point I made was that the new nexus doesn't look like a better product than the one it replaces and how fanboys and press react to it if Apple had released an iPhone5 without LTE probably everyone and their grandma would bash em hell and back,

google is the nice guy here the untouchable hahaha i tell ya basement dwellers

Dave.UK
Oct 29, 2012, 04:52 PM
what is the fail here? isn't the nexus 4 and evolution of the previous model? if so it fails miserably by not getting LTE in the first place, that is the fail

who cares what the iPhone 4S costs the original point I made was that the new nexus doesn't look like a better product than the one it replaces and how fanboys and press react to it if Apple had released an iPhone5 without LTE probably everyone and their grandma would bash em hell and back,

Did you not read the post 5 above answering this very question? I'll copy it below for you.

apollo1444
Oct 29, 2012, 04:57 PM
someone said earlier kick ass ZPECSS WOW ZO TECHY OMG

specs don't mean crap, we saw how the iPhone 5 toasted the super OMG LEIK SUPER DUPPER TECHY GS3 specs,

why do people keep bringing up specs? specs don't mean anything at all !!

btw their tablet looked like a spaceship controller from a mid 90s scifi tv series hahahha

tech4all
Oct 29, 2012, 04:59 PM

Here is the reason why it doesn't have LTE (from a previous post in this thread):

Not saying that's a good reason; they could have made a 'U.S. version' of the phone so it could have LTE instead of just having a one size fits all deal.

But in Google's defense, they have kept the price the same as the previous Nexus. But even then, I think they should have made a U.S. version or w/e so it could have LTE. I mean the HSPA+ speeds are good for me, but LTE really should have been a feature.

Umm it's the same thing with iOS fanboys. They think Apple could no wrong. FanDroids think Google could do no wrong. Makes no difference.

apollo1444
Oct 29, 2012, 05:00 PM
Did you not read the post 5 above answering this very question? I'll copy it below for you.

an unlocked iPhone is also LTE less?

not true the 4S LTE-LESS can be obtained as an unlocked phone just as the iPhone 5 (which is LTE CAPABLE) even in the US (if you actually read the forums you'd know this is possible)

so technically an unlocked iPhone is LTE capable right of the box

specs? specs don't mean crap... the iPhone 5 smacked the GS3 like a little b1itch on the benchmarks

pricing? now that is a very different subject, people may believe the higher the price the bigger the value (higher quality build, materials etc) others might say Apple overprices their products to each his own.

Dave.UK
Oct 29, 2012, 05:04 PM
someone said earlier kick ass ZPECSS WOW ZO TECHY OMG

specs don't mean crap, we saw how the iPhone 5 toasted the super OMG LEIK SUPER DUPPER TECHY GS3 specs,

why do people keep bringing up specs? specs don't mean anything at all !!

btw their tablet looked like a spaceship controller from a mid 90s scifi tv series hahahha

Im guessing specs dont mean anything unless they are in favour of apple?

Personally I think its a great looking phone, with very nice specs for very little money. I most certainly will be selling my Galaxy S3 for the Nexus 4.

apollo1444
Oct 29, 2012, 05:09 PM
Im guessing specs dont mean anything unless they are in favour of apple?

Personally I think its a great looking phone, with very nice specs for very little money. I most certainly will be selling my Galaxy S3 for the Nexus 4.
don't twist what I said, specs don't mean crap because the GSS3 and other phones apparently had bigger processor speeds than the iphone 5 yet the iPhone 5 toasted them... so no, specs don't matter at all

OMG IT HAZ A 1.7 GHZ PROCESSORR LULZ specs don't matter crap until they actually run the tests and see how the phone compare and behaves next to other phones. if you buy an android device because it has an appealing processor number then you are retarded

Dave.UK
Oct 29, 2012, 05:13 PM
so technically an unlocked iPhone is LTE capable right of the box

specs? specs don't mean crap... the iPhone 5 smacked the GS3 like a little b1itch on the benchmarks

Not in the UK. Unlocked iphone 5's will only work on EE lte. They will not be able to run on Vodafone or O2 lte when it goes live.

Regarding the rest of your post, ive seen benchmarks i favour of the iphone 5 and benchmarks in favour of the Galaxy S3.

Be very interesting to see benchmarks for the Nexus 4 and iphone 5.

----------

don't twist what I said, specs don't mean crap because the GSS3 and other phones apparently had bigger processor speeds than the iphone 5 yet the iPhone 5 toasted them... so no, specs don't matter at all

OMG IT HAZ A 1.7 GHZ PROCESSORR LULZ specs don't matter crap until they actually run the tests and see how the phone compare and behaves next to other phones. if you buy an android device because it has an appealing processor number then you are retarded

Im not going to get drawn into a childish debate with you. You've quite clearly come and posted in the Nexus 4 thread to be a pest.

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 05:13 PM

You are misinformed on a number of things. That is all.

3bs
Oct 29, 2012, 05:14 PM
Does this mean that every Nexus 4 is unlocked?

tbayrgs
Oct 29, 2012, 05:16 PM
The price point for an unlocked phone is great, no denying that. However, no LTE, for me personally, is a deal breaker. I don't need better battery life than I'm getting on my iP5 and once you have LTE, it's really hard to go back. Yes, web browsing improvement is nominal but I do stream video and occasionally download larger files. It's especially noticeable when using my phone as a hotspot for my Nexus 7.

I also really can't get buy with only 16GB so I'll be looking elsewhere for a second phone--bummer as the more time I spend on my Nexus 7, the more I'm enjoying Android, just can't stand all the manufacturers skins. Next up for my consideration, Nokia Lumia 920...

ChazUK
Oct 29, 2012, 05:18 PM

Should be. Every GSM Nexus I've owned has been sim unlocked by default.

Really frees you when you use GSM networks.

3bs
Oct 29, 2012, 05:19 PM
Should be. Every GSM Nexus I've owned has been sim unlocked by default.

Really frees you when you use GSM networks.

Not that I ever trust anything the employees at Vodafone say but they told me the Galaxy Nexus I got from them was locked. I never actually tried a different SIM card and I can't now because I don't have the phone anymore.

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 05:19 PM
it fails miserably by not getting LTE in the first place

Can't make this any more simpler:

1) That's how unlocked phones are sold. Carrier-free, therefore LTE-free. Nothing matches the price point for the specs you get.

2) There will be carrier-specific versions so LTE will be available at some point.

3) The speed of HSPA+ versus LTE, at this point in time, is marginal. We're talking about differences in seconds.

4) The trade off for LTE is nearly double iPhone's battery life (15+ hours of talk time versus 8 hours talk time / 330 hours standby versus 225 hours standby). So a few second difference in speeds for nearly double the battery life? Hardly a "fail."

If LTE is that important to you, that's great, mate. Nexus 4 is clearly not for you. We'll try to party on without you.

F123D
Oct 29, 2012, 05:20 PM
I keep watching The Verge video of the Nexus 4 and my level of interest keeps growing. I'm trying to see if the $350 price point and NO 2 YEAR CONTRACT (plus latest google updates) is enough of an advantage to give up LTE.

What's the average downloads speeds for HSPA+?

Tarzanman
Oct 29, 2012, 05:23 PM
Is the discount worth not having the SD card slot?

apollo1444
Oct 29, 2012, 05:23 PM
Can't make this any more simpler:

1) That's how unlocked phones are sold. Carrier-free, therefore LTE-free. Nothing matches the price point for the specs you get.

2) There will be carrier-specific versions so LTE will be available at some point.

3) The speed of HSPA+ versus LTE, at this point in time, is marginal. We're talking about differences in seconds.

4) The trade off for LTE is nearly double iPhone's battery life (15+ hours of talk time versus 8 hours talk time / 330 hours standby versus 225 hours standby). So a few second difference in speeds for double the battery life? Hardly a "fail."

If LTE is that important to you, that's great, mate. Nexus 4 is clearly not for you. We'll try to party on without you.

iPhone 4S - apple does not add LTE
(press and android people) "apple sucks they are way behind" they block their users on new technologies, horrible decisions, hey my gs2 skyrocket is super fast! , "there are better and faster android phones"
"apple stops innovating lol"
"No LTE? wow apple users are sheeps why do they buy that thing"

nexus 4- google does not add LTE
omg it's such a planned decission
great battery performance to be had google are geniuses!
LTE booh nobody wants LTE? plus its not avaliable everywhere
HSPA+ is almost as fast as LTE wtf

hahahaha that is all...

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 05:24 PM
I keep watching The Verge video of the Nexus 4 and my level of interest keeps growing. I'm trying to see if the $350 price point and NO 2 YEAR CONTRACT (plus latest google updates) is enough of an advantage to give up LTE.

I could be wrong, but the theoretical speeds are vast. HSPA+ is 42 MB/s, where as LTE is something like 100+ MB/s.

In real world use, though, at this point and time, they're both marginal. I know, I've used both. At times, HSPA+ was actually faster because less people are on it. Just my experience. When LTE is faster, it's faster by seconds.

Seconds of difference versus nearly double battery life? That's everyone's own call to make.

Dave.UK
Oct 29, 2012, 05:24 PM

This is quite an interesting page talking about HSPA+ and LTE and the differences.

http://www.androidauthority.com/hspa-vs-lte-which-one-is-better-78120/

ChazUK
Oct 29, 2012, 05:26 PM

I average around 5 Meg and peak at around 10/11 Meg on a good day. DCHSPA+ would have been a nice addition but alas, it wasn't to be.:(

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 05:26 PM
(press and android people) "apple sucks they are way behind" they block their users on new technologies, horrible decisions, hey my gs2 skyrocket is super fast! , "there are better and faster android phones"

hahahaha that is all...

What happens then?

MacRumorUser
Oct 29, 2012, 05:27 PM

Yep should be. (I know my galaxy nexus was even though it was from voda)

ChazUK
Oct 29, 2012, 05:28 PM
I could be wrong, but the theoretical speeds are vast. HSPA+ is 42 MB/s, where as LTE is something like 100+ MB/s.

In real world use, though, at this point and time, they're both marginal. I know, I've used both. At times, HSPA+ was actually faster because less people are on it. Just my experience. When LTE is faster, it's faster by seconds.

Seconds of difference versus nearly double battery life? That's everyone's own call to make.

I was under the impression HSPA+ had a 21 Meg maximum speed (around 10 with overheads) and that it was DCHSPA+ that bumped it to 42 Meg speeds.

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 05:31 PM
I was under the impression HSPA+ had a 21 Meg maximum speed (around 10 with overheads) and that it was DCHSPA+ that bumped it to 42 Meg speeds.

I could be wrong. But based on this:

"HSPA+

HSPA+ or Evolved High Speed Packet Access, is a souped-up version of HSUPA and HSDPA 3G standards with speeds comparable to the newer LTE networks. Theoretical speeds are said to feature download speeds up to 168Mbps and uplink of 22Mbps. These are of course theoretical speeds, with the actual speed available to users being much lower. While most HSPA+ networks around the world boast a theoretical 21Mbps(download) speed, T-Mobile(USA) and Deutsche Telekom(Germany) feature 42Mbps networks. A hotly debated issue is the 4G tag offered by cellular network companies to advertise their HSPA+ networks(T-mobile and AT&T), while most accept that it should be considered, at most, a 3.75G network."

3bs
Oct 29, 2012, 05:34 PM
Yep should be. (I know my galaxy nexus was even though it was from voda)

Then maybe I should just get it off contract with them or 3 (who I'm with) if they get it instead of going up to Belfast :p

ChazUK
Oct 29, 2012, 05:35 PM
I could be wrong. But based on this:

"HSPA+

HSPA+ or Evolved High Speed Packet Access, is a souped-up version of HSUPA and HSDPA 3G standards with speeds comparable to the newer LTE networks. Theoretical speeds are said to feature download speeds up to 168Mbps and uplink of 22Mbps. These are of course theoretical speeds, with the actual speed available to users being much lower. While most HSPA+ networks around the world boast a theoretical 21Mbps(download) speed, T-Mobile(USA) and Deutsche Telekom(Germany) feature 42Mbps networks. A hotly debated issue is the 4G tag offered by cellular network companies to advertise their HSPA+ networks(T-mobile and AT&T), while most accept that it should be considered, at most, a 3.75G network."
Ooh, you are correct reading into it!

. The plus in HSPA+ signifies an even faster and more efficient use of the spectrum. HSPA+ provides peak download rates of up to 56 Mbps and peak uploads of 22 Mbps.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-hspa-and-hspa.htm

tjl3
Oct 29, 2012, 05:55 PM
Lots of new features shown off. Not to mention the official devices themselves look quite stunning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=66-4uMQqerA

I was impressed by the video, specifically with the software updates coming in 4.2.

However, I think the Nexus 4 missed, especially in Google's decision to go with LG. I hope LG makes one heck of a display, b/c wireless charging... really? Impressive? Yes. Innovative? Sure. Worth any possible design compromises? No.

I can't help but think that a Samsung or Google's own Motorola branded Nexus device would come with LTE. This decision will only alienate their consumers. Sure, we should expect the CDMA Nexus 4 to come with LTE, but LG will have already lost a good portion of potential customers to iP5, One X, Razr, and GS3.

I was definitely on the fence about iP5 or waiting to see what kind of a Nexus phone gets released. But now I am kind of glad I chose iP5, completely due to the lack of LTE.

F123D
Oct 29, 2012, 05:58 PM
Is the discount worth not having the SD card slot?

I'm not quite sure yet..

However, the discount is DEFINITELY worth not being locked into a 2 year contract. I could use this phone for a year and maybe go back to an iPhone if they get their act together next year without any ETF or upgrade fees.

Catdogchicken
Oct 29, 2012, 06:05 PM

hahahaha that is all...

Same could be said about NFC.

iPhone 5 didn't have it so therefore it was worthless and not needed.

Such hypocrites the Apple fans!

mcman77
Oct 29, 2012, 06:07 PM
Can anyone tell me if the Sony BSI camera lens is the same as the one in the iPhone 4s and the GS3?

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 06:09 PM
Since Tmobile will be getting the Nexus 4 officially, one can try out the device in a Tmo store.

----------

I was impressed by the video, specifically with the software updates coming in 4.2.

However, I think the Nexus 4 missed, especially in Google's decision to go with LG. I hope LG makes one heck of a display, b/c wireless charging... really? Impressive? Yes. Innovative? Sure. Worth any possible design compromises? No.

I can't help but think that a Samsung or Google's own Motorola branded Nexus device would come with LTE. This decision will only alienate their consumers. Sure, we should expect the CDMA Nexus 4 to come with LTE, but LG will have already lost a good portion of potential customers to iP5, One X, Razr, and GS3.

I was definitely on the fence about iP5 or waiting to see what kind of a Nexus phone gets released. But now I am kind of glad I chose iP5, completely due to the lack of LTE.

Samsung last year released the Galaxy Nexus without LTE. The LG Nexus 4 carrier versions will have LTE.

But it sounds like you already found what you're looking for, so that's cool. Kudos. :)

inselstudent
Oct 29, 2012, 06:25 PM
Well goodbye Apple and hello Google!

Lindsford
Oct 29, 2012, 06:26 PM
For the money this phone is hard to beat. But it's lacking a few main things that would make an iPhone user like myself switch.

This is my take on the announcement

Cons:
No SD card slot
No removable battery
No LTE- I know a lot of people are backing google on this and LTE isn't a necessity but when you travel and tether, the LTE does make a huge difference
Only 16GB - a small fraction of my music library that I listen to on a regular basis would take up atleast half of that. It's awesome if you're heavily invested in streaming content (which I am) but itd be nice to have a 32GB storage. That's a sweet spot for me.

Neutral:
Camera: it's 8MP but how will it actually compare to other phones picture quality color accuracy and low light photos
Weight
Thickness

Pros:
Price
World Phone
Will get updates on time instead of having to wait for months on end or root your phone

The only thing holding me back from this phone is the storage capacity and not being able to swap the battery. Once you get a taste of LTE it's hard to go back. Though I get anywhere from 2-11mbps on HSPA+ speeds which is good if you're not planning on tethering (I am)

F123D
Oct 29, 2012, 06:29 PM
The LG Nexus 4 carrier versions will have LTE.

Where are you seeing this?

The Face
Oct 29, 2012, 06:34 PM
Where are you seeing this?It hasn't been officially said, but it's safe to say it'll happen.

kiltedthrower
Oct 29, 2012, 06:46 PM
I guess I'm confused. I have LTE but I don't get past 42+MBPS up and/or down. So if the Nexus 4 supports 42+MBPS, would it matter if I had LTE or not?

kiltedthrower
Oct 29, 2012, 07:00 PM
For those of us on unlimited data, not having an SD card isn't a big deal since the cloud can be used to store music, pics, and videos.

Scrub175
Oct 29, 2012, 07:04 PM

Well said. I don't understand why the nexus line is the budget line now. It was always the direct link to google with regards to OS updates and the latest greatest hardware.

tbayrgs
Oct 29, 2012, 07:05 PM
I guess I'm confused. I have LTE but I don't get past 42+MBPS up and/or down. So if the Nexus 4 supports 42+MBPS, would it matter if I had LTE or not?

Because while HSPA+ in theory supports speeds up to 42 Mbps, in reality you'll never get close to that. I'm lucky to get 5-6 Mbps down on HSPA+ here but see LTE speeds that average 25-35 Mbps. So while many of you may be OK settling for that difference, I'm not.

See those speeds in my photo? Anything less than 25 Mbps is on HSPA.

kiltedthrower
Oct 29, 2012, 07:08 PM
Well said. I don't understand why the nexus line is the budget line now. It was always the direct link to google with regards to OS updates and the latest greatest hardware.

Would it have been better if they had added on a few hundred dollars? Budget might mean cost efficient but it doesn't mean it's low quality.

And the hardware on this Nexus line is really good.

tbayrgs
Oct 29, 2012, 07:09 PM
Samsung last year released the Galaxy Nexus without LTE. The LG Nexus 4 carrier versions will have LTE.

Not correct--the Version Galaxy Nexus had LTE.

Where are you seeing this?

It hasn't been officially said, but it's safe to say it'll happen.

I think you guys are assuming a lot. I've seen zero mention of an LTE equipped Nexus 4 and if anything, rumors are that Verizon won't be getting a carrier branded version at all. Considering AT&T is the only GSM based LTE carrier in the US presently and the LTE rollout in Europe is quite a bit behind, AND that the LTE frequencies are across the board between carriers all over the world, I'd hedge a bet that there actually WILL NOT be an LTE Nexus 4.

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 07:21 PM
Yeah, in fact, the more I read about it, the more it sounds like Google has no interest in wrestling with carriers for LTE.

Their LTE Galaxy Nexus with Verizon was apparently a horrible experience. No doubt Google doesn't have the weight that Apple does when dealing for LTE.

It's a shame for Verizon/Sprint users, and those that must have LTE.

Verge's article explains it all pretty well: http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3569688/why-nexus-4-does-not-have-4g-lte/in/3335719

But we still don't know what will happen, and if this article is correct, there could be carrier-specific versions: http://androidandme.com/2012/10/smartphones-2/nexus-4-support-page-hints-at-carrier-branded-devices/

whoknows87
Oct 29, 2012, 07:25 PM
2 Nexus = Price of my iPhone 5, for use who own an iPhone 5 and do not have LTE this is a no brainer, i'll sacrifice possibly the retina display and save 400 bucks, I love Apple, but I love my money even more maybe when the jailbreak is out i'll reconsider the i5 but for now this Nexus looks really great, 360 Panorama is something that captured my attention, I hate to say this, but it seems like Google did innovate and introduce few new things, Google Now looks promising

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 07:27 PM
2 Nexus = Price of my iPhone 5, for use who own an iPhone 5 and do not have LTE this is a no brainer, i'll sacrifice possibly the retina display and save 400 bucks, I love Apple, but I love my money even more maybe when the jailbreak is out i'll reconsider the i5 but for now this Nexus looks really great, 360 Panorama is something that captured my attention, I hate to say this, but it seems like Google did innovate and introduce few new things, Google Now looks promising

I believe the ppi of the Nexus 4 is a few pixels away from the iPhone. Forgot the exact numbers.

tbayrgs
Oct 29, 2012, 07:32 PM

I disagree. The Nexus line has never been the latest greatest hardware, as Google would alienate their partner manufacturers. Notice that this isn't the LG flagship phone--the Optimus G has equal or better specs (32 GB onboard storage, 13 MP camera). There have been other Android based phones out for quite a while now with equal/better specs.

The Nexus line was always sold as a developer's phone without much fanfare and fortunately, always came in at a great price for an unlocked device.

mvkVirtual
Oct 29, 2012, 07:33 PM
Its obviously a very cheap device and the specs hold their own against much more expensive products. I still use an iPhone 4 as my daily driver and I love it, so I'm not sure if I could hop over to android as simple as - but its certainly cheap enough that lots of people will consider it.

Also if anyone is interested I threw together a video detailing how it stacks up against competitors and higher end products in terms of value for money, which can be found here: http://t.co/WxCW9izP

It is very tempting, I have used a few modern Android tablets but not properly experienced it on a phone since 2.3

3bs
Oct 29, 2012, 07:33 PM
I believe the ppi of the Nexus 4 is a few pixels away from the iPhone. Forgot the exact numbers.

320 for the Nexus 4 and 326 PPI for the iPhone if I'm not mistaken.

mvkVirtual
Oct 29, 2012, 07:41 PM
320 for the Nexus 4 and 326 PPI for the iPhone if I'm not mistaken.

That's right, you wouldn't be able to notice the difference. Key thing between them would be contrast etc rather than resolution I think.

mac26
Oct 29, 2012, 07:52 PM
I disagree. The Nexus line has never been the latest greatest hardware, as Google would alienate their partner manufacturers. Notice that this isn't the LG flagship phone--the Optimus G has equal or better specs (32 GB onboard storage, 13 MP camera). There have been other Android based phones out for quite a while now with equal/better specs.

The Nexus line was always sold as a developer's phone without much fanfare and fortunately, always came in at a great price for an unlocked device.

In the verge's review of the Optimus G they liked the 8MP camera on the AT&T version better and so these are probably the same cameras so camera should be on par with an Optimus G and storage wise, Android is all about the cloud so for most stuff (save for music and games) should be fine, you still can load lots of stuff on a 16GB.

Scrub175
Oct 29, 2012, 07:53 PM

False. Nexus was the proof of concept of future devices running the latest and greatest OS version. The developer part is accurate but a couple of years ago the android world waited for the hardware announcement to spec out what future devices would require to run the newest OS. It just so happened the partners pushed the device specs further and faster than the nexus line.

I see Google's strategy to move devices outside of the carrier market and agree, but removing LTE a highly touted feature, dare I say a standard feature is a step back for the highly regarded nexus line. Budget or not nexus was supposed to set the hardware tone for the upcoming year. It appears Google wants a more controlled environment to release the devices to users world wide at a more penetrating market price, hence the release of multiple nexus devices now. The nexus has lost it exclusivity and became a budget device.

tbayrgs
Oct 29, 2012, 08:10 PM
False. Nexus was the proof of concept of future devices running the latest and greatest OS version. The developer part is accurate but a couple of years ago the android world waited for the hardware announcement to spec out what future devices would require to run the newest OS. It just so happened the partners pushed the device specs further and faster than the nexus line.

Alright, so the Nexus devices were the benchmark for what was required to run the latest version of Android--doesn't mean they were the best available. You said it yourself, other manufacturers put out better spec'd devices. My point was that at time of release, I don't think ANY Nexus device was top of the line hardware-wise, so expecting this to be any different is a bit naive.

----------

In the verge's review of the Optimus G they liked the 8MP camera on the AT&T version better and so these are probably the same cameras so camera should be on par with an Optimus G and storage wise, Android is all about the cloud so for most stuff (save for music and games) should be fine, you still can load lots of stuff on a 16GB.

So the camera is the better of the two--is it considered to be among the best in the industry right now? I'd guess there are a few other phones out right now and another coming very soon that outperform it. And sorry but your storage statement is nonsense. The iPhone offers up to 64 GB (and Apple also loves to tout the benefits of the cloud), the upcoming One X+ will have a 64 GB option, the Galaxy Note II has a 64 GB option AND has expandable memory, the GSIII has 32 GB AND has expandable memory, the Lumia 920 offers up to 32 GB. Should I go on? Quit making excuses for an inferior spec.

Listen, I'm a fan of the Nexus line--previously had a Galaxy Nexus and if I ever get another Android device, it'll only be a Nexus. Maybe that's why I'm disappointed, because the lacking memory and omission of LTE are obstacles that I just personally can't deal with. And I hear so much vitriol when Apple offers basically a spec bump when they release an 'S' version of their phone but how is this any different? Slightly better processor, slightly better camera, improved screen with basically the same resolution, no improvement in on board storage and a battery that's not removable (benefit to some, 'meh' for others), no LTE--I'm sorry but what's to get excited about in regards to hardware?

Scrub175
Oct 29, 2012, 08:23 PM
Alright, so the Nexus devices were the benchmark for what was required to run the latest version of Android--doesn't mean they were the best available. You said it yourself, other manufacturers put out better spec'd devices. My point was that at time of release, I don't think ANY Nexus device was top of the line hardware-wise, so expecting this to be any different is a bit naive.

----------

So the camera is the better of the two--is it considered to be among the best in the industry right now? I'd guess there are a few other phones out right now and another coming very soon that outperform it. And sorry but your storage statement is nonsense. The iPhone offers up to 64 GB (and Apple also loves to tout the benefits of the cloud), the upcoming One X+ will have a 64 GB option, the Galaxy Note II has a 64 GB option AND has expandable memory, the GSIII has 32 GB AND has expandable memory, the Lumia 920 offers up to 32 GB. Should I go on? Quit making excuses for an inferior spec.

One has to remember the specs of other android phones at the time of the first couple of nexus devices, they were lagging. Then super phones getting released every few months became the norm. Each device maker has their version of the super phone now and those specs are more than doubling the nexus. Android hardware is a quickly moving force and it is even driving an abbreviated life cycle of the latest OS, rumored KLP release next month. At some point Google has to control this juggernaut. I see the nexus line being more consumer friendly and tempering off the super phone push we see monthly with new flagship devices.

If a nexus can push new OS with cutting edge features with "dated" hardware standards, that proves quad cores and 2+ gb ram in these psuedo flagship phones is really overkill.

tjl3
Oct 29, 2012, 08:31 PM
Since Tmobile will be getting the Nexus 4 officially, one can try out the device in a Tmo store.

----------

But it sounds like you already found what you're looking for, so that's cool. Kudos. :)

Well, I anticipate the CDMA version to have LTE, it'd be quite awkward for LG to release a GSM carrier version w/ LTE while still trying to market an unlocked GSM non LTE phone. Also, there's little chance that T-Mobile would have gotten the non LTE version.

Anyway, holding LTE back will hurt LG at release. They concede a huge share of sales to other competitve and already LTE capable phones in the ones I previously listed.

And yes, I definitely found what I was looking for. Wasn't sold enough on JB itself when I owned my GNex. And considering Verizon is the only option if I want service, Nexus 4 doesn't even seem like a choice at the moment.

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 08:39 PM

----------

Listen, I'm a fan of the Nexus line--previously had a Galaxy Nexus and if I ever get another Android device, it'll only be a Nexus. Maybe that's why I'm disappointed, because the lacking memory and omission of LTE are obstacles that I just personally can't deal with. And I hear so much vitriol when Apple offers basically a spec bump when they release an 'S' version of their phone but how is this any different? Slightly better processor, slightly better camera, improved screen with basically the same resolution, no improvement in on board storage and a battery that's not removable (benefit to some, 'meh' for others), no LTE--I'm sorry but what's to get excited about in regards to hardware?

Google isn't charging $649 unlocked for the Nexus 4 though.

And these specs are more than just an "S"-like upgrade. Completely new screen, new battery technology, 2GB RAM (when will Apple ever reach this?), and a whole new back with a unibody like enclosure. This is pretty big.

I'd also argue that 4.2 is a pretty impressive update too.

But I totally understand that LTE is a deal breaker for some. That doesn't change the incredible value (specifically value, not just price) of the device for others. Especially when you consider in real world use, HSPA+ still loads websites in seconds and you'll get nearly double the battery life. If there's one thing to trade LTE for, it's that.

However, the storage sizes Google is offering for the Nexus 4 is untenable. 100% in agreement there. Lack of 32GB is a big mistake. Hopefully it'll come eventually.

PS. The verdict still isn't in yet whether there will be LTE Nexus 4 device or not.

tbayrgs
Oct 29, 2012, 09:09 PM
Google isn't charging $649 unlocked for the Nexus 4 though.

And these specs are more than just an "S"-like upgrade. Completely new screen, new battery technology, 2GB RAM (when will Apple ever reach this?), and a whole new back with a unibody like enclosure. This is pretty big.

I'd also argue that 4.2 is a pretty impressive update too.

Oh, I agree, there's no comparison in price for an unlocked device--ton's of value. I don't want that much value :D, throw in LTE, a quality camera and more storage and I'll give you another $100-200--would still be cheaper than an unlocked iPhone.

dkersten
Oct 29, 2012, 10:00 PM
i have the 6foot cable that i use on both iPad and iPhone....so sitting in recliner and having it plugged in is no big deal. Now using the short charger...of course that's a PITA.

Wireless charging is just the tip of the iceberg. Check this video out at 1:48.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cf7IL_eZ38
(the entire video is cool so if you have time watch it)

Anyways, imagine walking into your house and just setting your phone down on the countertop. Immediately it starts charging and integrates into the countertop. Incoming calls, messages, videos, etc. (think padphone integration onto a countertop) are displayed in a large format on the countertop itself. Pretty cool right? Well this wireless interaction would drain your battery quite quickly so wireless charging becomes necessary. While wireless charging is a little niche right now (although I personally think it has merits in convenience now), it will be the starting point to awesome technologies in the coming decades. I for one cannot wait.

On a side note, everything in the video are not just concepts. They are working prototypes and in some cases products that have already come to market. Looks pretty awesome to me

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 29, 2012, 10:12 PM
The Nexus 4 supports 42Mbps speeds with HSPA+ for those wondering. In the states we will only get those speeds on T-Mobile as AT&T decided not to do 42 and has 21Mbps only. I will be switching to either straight talk or more likely T-Mobile unlimited everything no contract plan. No overages and no throttling. Sounds amazing to me.

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 10:32 PM
Engadget's hands-on and walk through: http://www.viddler.com/v/156bce48?secret=35112322

Device looks more and more beautiful. I'm so glad the back is very subtle.

And yes, you can configure the pull down Quick Settings menu, which I was wondering about.

3bs
Oct 29, 2012, 10:40 PM
Engadget's hands-on and walk through: http://www.viddler.com/v/156bce48?secret=35112322

And yes, you can configure the pull down Quick Settings menu, which I was wondering about.

I wonder how fast the phone will charge via the pod. My Galaxy S3 charges pretty slow when using a usb connected to my laptop and it's not that fast through a wall either unless I use my Nexus 7 charger.

This is one of the very few things I miss about my iPhone. It used to charge really fast when connected to my laptop and even faster connected to the wall.

bozzykid
Oct 29, 2012, 10:42 PM

Since it will supposedly have a battery that lasts a whole day, there is no reason to be sitting around with the plugged in trying to use it. The point is when you go to sleep, you set it on the dock. It's simple and easy to use. Plus, it is tilted so you can set it to automatically show the clock.

PDFierro
Oct 29, 2012, 10:48 PM

I take it you have decided to get it now?

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 10:49 PM
Since it will supposedly have a battery that lasts a whole day, there is no reason to be sitting around with the plugged in trying to use it. The point is when you go to sleep, you set it on the dock. It's simple and easy to use. Plus, it is tilted so you can set it to automatically show the clock.

Yeah, I'm quite enamored by the Nexus Orb. I wonder what the pricing and release date will be. They seem kind of mum about its details...

Sensamic
Oct 29, 2012, 10:51 PM
Bye bye SGS3. Hello nexus 4 (and maybe 10).

I can sell my SGS3 for 400$ and get the nexus 4. No problem.

No surprise Apple fired Scott. Just look at the improvements Google is releasing. Now their stock keyboard includes prediction like Swiftkey and gestures like.Swype. Compare that to the iOS keyboard. Ridiculous...

User accounts, settings in the status bar... abs what do you get with iOS meanwhile?

There's no LTE in my country so don't care. I would use the nexus 10 to store movies and the heavy stuff.

Southernboyj
Oct 29, 2012, 10:51 PM
HSPA+ is an incredibly acceptable compromise between high speed and battery saving measures. I actually love that this doesn't force LTE on people.

The LTE versions will come to those that need that much download speed, but IMO, it's excessive. Webpages load in under a second or two with HSPA+.

For such specs at such an insane price, this is wholly acceptable.

Awesome phone if your carrier doesn't have LTE in your area. Mine does, I won't even consider without LTE.

3bs
Oct 29, 2012, 10:54 PM
Bye bye SGS3. Hello nexus 4 (and maybe 10).

I can sell my SGS3 for 400$ and get the nexus 4. No problem.

No surprise Apple fired Scott. Just look at the improvements Google is releasing. Now their stock keyboard includes prediction like Swiftkey and gestures like.Swype. Compare that to the iOS keyboard. Ridiculous...

User accounts, settings in the status bar... abs what do you get with iOS meanwhile?

There's no LTE in my country so don't care. I would use the nexus 10 to store movies and the heavy stuff.

I doubt it'll be as good as SwiftKey but I guess we'll have to wait and see. I also plan on replacing my GS3 for the Nexus 4 :D

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 10:55 PM
I take it you have decided to get it now?

I was going to wait for a price drop or a 32GB version. Who woulda thunk the "price drop" would happen on the first day. Didn't expect it to be $299 and $349.

I'm still going to hold off and resist just a little bit to see if there are any leaks or rumblings of a 32GB. If they had offered it, I would have been sold.

Very curious to see reviews too.

DAVIDUGLY
Oct 29, 2012, 10:57 PM
buying this and the nexus 10 the minute they go up,
truly excited for these.

atticus27
Oct 29, 2012, 11:09 PM
I'm gonna wait to see some review, but I'm likely gonna sell my gs3 for this.
LTE is nice, but HSPA+ is fast enough and data caps kinda kill LTE anyways. I'm still happy to give it up to have stock android with up to date updates. The fact that the s3 hasn't received jelly bean yet is a joke (and stock android looks way better than touch wiz).
the no expandable memory sucks though. I guess I'll use google music on it.
Price is killer too for an off contract phone

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 11:11 PM
LTE is nice, but HSPA+ is fast enough and data caps kinda kill LTE anyways. I'm still happy to give it up to have stock android with up to date updates.

Don't forget you're also trading in LTE for nearly double the talk time battery of the iPhone and over a 100+ more hours of standby time than the iPhone.

PDFierro
Oct 29, 2012, 11:53 PM
I was going to wait for a price drop or a 32GB version. Who woulda thunk the "price drop" would happen on the first day. Didn't expect it to be $299 and $349.

I'm still going to hold off and resist just a little bit to see if there are any leaks or rumblings of a 32GB. If they had offered it, I would have been sold.

Very curious to see reviews too.

32GB would be nice. The lack of it wouldn't stop me from buying it, but it'd be nice to have the option. Otherwise 16GB would suffice for me right now.

I'm on the fence. The phone looks great, but I'm questioning if I really want to leave Verizon.

I'm glad that some people are seeing the benefits to HSPA+. Some see the lack of LTE and think of it as a big deal, but an unlocked device like this one was never going to have LTE. And HSPA+ is plenty fast and offers better battery life.

michaeljohn
Oct 30, 2012, 12:02 AM
After over a year with LTE, there is absolutely no way I could go back. This just made my decision much easier. Galaxy Note 2 for me.

thecurryman
Oct 30, 2012, 12:08 AM
lol some of the people on here are redicouous...its ONLY $300 WITHOUT contract... and unlocked...seriously, find a phone that has those specs, at that price...it doesnt have LTE? 1) HSPA+ is pretty fast (get like 5-7 mbs where i live) 2) who is to say that there will not be carrier specific LTE in the future??

For only $300 this is a steal...compare the 16gb nexus 4 to the iphone 5...Nexus= $349 vs. Iphone= $649...only difference? no LTE but is it worth paying nearly double for that? I feel like getting one because its just so cheap and such a great phone (spec wise)..

sarcosis
Oct 30, 2012, 01:20 AM
lol some of the people on here are redicouous...its ONLY $300 WITHOUT contract... and unlocked...seriously, find a phone that has those specs, at that price...it doesnt have LTE? 1) HSPA+ is pretty fast (get like 5-7 mbs where i live) 2) who is to say that there will not be carrier specific LTE in the future??

For only $300 this is a steal...compare the 16gb nexus 4 to the iphone 5...Nexus= $349 vs. Iphone= $649...only difference? no LTE but is it worth paying nearly double for that? I feel like getting one because its just so cheap and such a great phone (spec wise)..

Nexus 4 is a tremendous value. Even comparing apples to similar apples, the S3 unlocked international version (the one without LTE) is still $550. And that's with a quad core 1.4 Ghz Exynos and 1GB of Ram with the same amount of storage and Pen-tile screen.

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 01:30 AM
http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/nexus-4-vs-iphone-5.jpeg

I'd like to add:

15.3 hours talk time / 330 standby time _vs_ 8 hours talk time / 225 standby

It might also be worth pointing out that on the iPhone side, the price should really start at $649. -_-

Vegastouch
Oct 30, 2012, 01:36 AM
Wow...Jelly Bean 4.2 is even better. Im going to get a 16GB N4. Great price. The only thing i dont like is the 16GB of storage. 32 would be more ideal, and REALLY want that to feel better but for $349, im going to get one from the Playstore. Who knows if they will ever announce a 32GB model. The GNex never did as far as i know.

I can sell my GS3 for more than the N4 costs or just give it to my Wife and sell her Windows phone.
Im on T-Mobile and ive never had LTE so i dont care about the N4 not having it. Really, the 4G HSPA+ is pretty fast and i dont know what im missing with LTE so im fine with not having it.

Ive never berated iPhone users for theirs not having it. Ive only berated them for not even having 4G til just recently...lol

So glad about this price announcement. Now i can still get a 32GB Nexus 7 and still spend only $600 for both (which is less than a off contract iP5) OR wait down the road perhaps for Xmas sales and get that Levono Windows 8 Yoga Ultrabook i like.

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 01:38 AM
http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/83fded76c95b28dc8dd7994f3fe6603f_1349955404.jpeg

Front of the Nexus 4 is beautiful. The back... love or hate. I can see both sides of the argument. I started out liking it, then hating it, now I'm liking it again because 1) it's an homage to the first Nexus live wallpaper, and 2) all the hands-on videos show that the back design is very subtle (phew).

The iPhone 5 still looks weird to me. Like it's more a chocolate bar than a phone. The back I think is love or hate too like the Nexus 4. I will say though that the diamond cut band around the iPhone 5 is absolutely gorgeous, especially the white one. The chrome around the Nexus 4 is unfortunate. :\

adder7712
Oct 30, 2012, 01:47 AM
Good looking device. Too bad memory is somewhat limited (wouldn't mind if it has expandable storage).

Maybe they'll release a 32GB version later, it better not be carrier specific though.

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 02:03 AM
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3570034/inside-android-building-the-nexus-4-nexus-10-android-4-2

The accompanying article to that Verge hands-on and visit to the Google building video just makes me like the fellas at Google even more.

They seem humbling, modest, admitting their failures; it's really so much more palpable and relatable. I can't get over how disingenuous Tim Cook and Phil Schiller can sound. I can still hear Cook's exaggerated enthusiasm... "This is really jaw-dropping stuff" and it makes me cringe.

Anyway, I highly recommend reading through the article. Here's the portion regarding LTE:

"For now we're gonna sit back and watch those networks evolve. Two radios in a device right now certainly raises the cost, and diminishes battery life." This point seems to frustrate him. "When we did the Galaxy Nexus with LTE we had to do just that, and it just wasn't a great user experience. It's possible to do it right, but that's not where we'll put our resources initially. Tactically, we want to make sure the devices are available for every network on the planet."

The sentiment makes some sense. The global subscriber base of LTE users is still tiny, even with a massive uptick in the US over the past year.

torana355
Oct 30, 2012, 02:11 AM
Is HSPA+ the same speed as DC-HSPA?

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 02:13 AM
Is HSPA+ the same speed as DC-HSPA?

For Tmobile, yes.

At least I think so. It's all a bit confusing. It's very fast. It saves batteries. That's really all. :)

torana355
Oct 30, 2012, 02:28 AM
For Tmobile, yes.

At least I think so. It's all a bit confusing. It's very fast. It saves batteries. That's really all. :)

Im in Australia with Telstra...

F123D
Oct 30, 2012, 03:19 AM
I'm just trying to figure out what kind of speeds I'd be getting on hspa+ and if it would be sufficient. I could use this phone for the next year and still have an upgrade to burn anytime in the future..

mattopotamus
Oct 30, 2012, 06:50 AM
I'm just trying to figure out what kind of speeds I'd be getting on hspa+ and if it would be sufficient. I could use this phone for the next year and still have an upgrade to burn anytime in the future..

When I had the previous nexus I was getting between 4-8 mbps down on HSPA+, which was just fine.

----------

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3570034/inside-android-building-the-nexus-4-nexus-10-android-4-2

The accompanying article to that Verge hands-on and visit to the Google building video just makes me like the fellas at Google even more.

They seem humbling, modest, admitting their failures; it's really so much more palpable and relatable. I can't get over how disingenuous Tim Cook and Phil Schiller can sound. I can still hear Cook's exaggerated enthusiasm... "This is really jaw-dropping stuff" and it makes me cringe.

Anyway, I highly recommend reading through the article. Here's the portion regarding LTE:

"For now we're gonna sit back and watch those networks evolve. Two radios in a device right now certainly raises the cost, and diminishes battery life." This point seems to frustrate him. "When we did the Galaxy Nexus with LTE we had to do just that, and it just wasn't a great user experience. It's possible to do it right, but that's not where we'll put our resources initially. Tactically, we want to make sure the devices are available for every network on the planet."

The sentiment makes some sense. The global subscriber base of LTE users is still tiny, even with a massive uptick in the US over the past year.

That quote is the exact thing apple gets bashed for all the time.....when in reality it makes sense.

The Face
Oct 30, 2012, 07:04 AM
That quote is the exact thing apple gets bashed for all the time.....when in reality it makes sense.Except the difference is that Apple still charges a arm and a leg for their devices.

mattopotamus
Oct 30, 2012, 07:09 AM
Except the difference is that Apple still charges a arm and a leg for their devices.

true, but it is pretty much on par with what others do if you want contract free. The nexus is in a class of its of own at that price, contract free.

tbayrgs
Oct 30, 2012, 07:40 AM

It is absolutely a great value...if it meets your needs. I personally will not go back to HSPA from LTE, need more than 16 GB storage, and want a quality camera on my phone--3 areas the Nexus 4 falls short. I don't need an unlocked device--I'm on a corporate cell plan and am not going anywhere so for less money I can get a better equipped device.

For some people this phone hit's their sweet spot. For others, they're willing to make compromises to get such a great price on an unlocked device--great for them. Believe it or not, not everyone falls into those two categories.

----------

Just watched this walk though--have to admit, very good looking device, best looking Android device available, IMO. Damn Google, if you could have just made a version that included LTE and at least 32 GB...I'll give you $500 for that.

The Face
Oct 30, 2012, 07:43 AM
true, but it is pretty much on par with what others do if you want contract free. The nexus is in a class of its of own at that price, contract free.The sim free price is on par if not a little higher than most high end Android phones, but it's the iPhone contract prices that bother me.

I hate Apples "You'll pay us more for the iPhone on contract than any other tariff and phone because we said you have to" mentality.

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 30, 2012, 07:44 AM
I'm thinking about getting the 16gb one for my mother as a Xmas present.

mattopotamus
Oct 30, 2012, 07:55 AM
The sim free price is on par if not a little higher than most high end Android phones, but it's the iPhone contract prices that bother me.

I hate Apples "You'll pay us more for the iPhone on contract than any other tariff and phone because we said you have to" mentality.

really? I could have sworn the s3 and htc one x were $199 w/ a two year contract.

The Face
Oct 30, 2012, 08:05 AM
really? I could have sworn the s3 and htc one x were $199 w/ a two year contract.In the UK, one of the cheapest iPhones 5 contract is 46 ($73) a month with a crap tariff, or 32 ($51) a month + 129 ($207) one off cost for the phone.

You can get a Galaxy S3 for free on as little as 21 a month, even the Galaxy Note 2 can be got for free on a 30 contract.

mattopotamus
Oct 30, 2012, 08:11 AM
In the UK, one of the cheapest iPhones 5 contract is 46 ($73) a month with a crap tariff, or 32 ($51) a month + 129 ($207) one off cost for the phone.

You can get a Galaxy S3 for free on as little as 21 a month, even the Galaxy Note 2 can be got for free on a 30 contract.

ahh...in the UK it works a lot different than the US w/ contract phones and prices. Pretty much any new smart phone will cost you $199 w/ a 2 year contract or $600+ w/ no contract.

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 09:37 AM
Damn Google, if you could have just made a version that included LTE and at least 32 GB...I'll give you $500 for that.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if Google can forge better relations with the carriers. I think if the Nexus brand and name can take off and gain enough popularity and recognition, the carriers will compromise. Apparently, the Verizon-Google debacle for the Galaxy Nexus LTE left Google with a very sour taste for carriers. If Google can't update their Nexus device directly, there's almost no point in giving any carrier a "Nexus" phone. It'll just annoy customers who buy the Nexus thinking they'll get updates from Google. Then when the carriers block or slow them down, the unknowing customer hates Google. That's what happened with the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and those adopters.

Apple's influence and reach is, no doubt, way farther than Google's.

In terms of the future when LTE is more ubiquitous and needs to be a standard feature, Google will have to forge these relations. The Nexus line is on the right path, but the work for Google is far from over.

MDomino
Oct 30, 2012, 09:49 AM
Sweet!
At last a device which convinces me to switch from my good old Nokia 6210 into the shiny world of smart phones. :)
All the other smart phones before seemed totally overpriced to me or their features didn't meet my expectations.

rmhop81
Oct 30, 2012, 10:04 AM

key word, "supposedly"

it's an android device...if it's not a razr maxx the battery will suck

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 30, 2012, 10:05 AM
key word, "supposedly"

I would have agreed with you last year. It seems proven that this is no longer the case wrong phones like the S3 and the One X. I'm thinking the battery will be pretty good on the Nexus. Only time will tell.

Faux Carnival
Oct 30, 2012, 10:28 AM
Will this phone be sold in any physical stores in the US? Thanks.

mattopotamus
Oct 30, 2012, 10:34 AM

doubtful....not until the TMO version is released....then it may be at best buy. The current one can only be bought at verizon or bestbuy or maybe radio shack, but the verizon version. Not the unlocked one.

ixodes
Oct 30, 2012, 10:49 AM
All of the criticism here reveals a lot of Android envy.

This is an excellent phone, carefully configured with all the key features, while wisely leaving off battery sucking LTE.

In another year or two LTE will be more relevant, but based on my LTE experience in a very strong area, I can take it or leave it.

The true advantage of this gorgeous phone is it's spacious 4.7" display. It enables one to do less scrolling, more reading, and much faster typing. Until you've used a display this size you have no clue as to just how beneficial it is.

If Apple ever decides to join the modern age with a spacious display, they'll be a far more serious threat to the competition.

----------

AT&T will have it.

tjl3
Oct 30, 2012, 10:55 AM
All of the criticism here reveals a lot of Android envy.

This is an excellent phone, carefully configured with all the key features, while wisely leaving off battery sucking LTE.

In another year or two LTE will be more relevant, but based on my LTE experience in a very strong area, I can take it or leave it.

The true advantage of this gorgeous phone is it's spacious 4.7" display. It enables one to do less scrolling, more reading, and much faster typing. Until you've used a display this size you have no clue as to just how beneficial it is.

If Apple ever decides to join the modern age with a spacious display, they'll be a far more serious threat to the competition.

----------

AT&T will have it.

Meh, HSPA+ on AT&T was nothing special. Moved to LTE on Verizon, and not looking back, not considering a phone w/o LTE. As for battery sucking, you're talking about 5 hours of talk time up from 10 compared to what the GS3 gets out of the same battery. iP5 gets 8 hours and it does just fine.

A nice subtle thing they did with the screen is that they made it 16:10 and not 16:9, so in portrait you get a little more realestate, however you're left with some letterboxing for 16:9 video, and exactly the same sized video as a Galaxy Nexus.

As for AT&T, just wait till their carrier phone comes w/ LTE.

The Face
Oct 30, 2012, 10:56 AM
Screen size is 99% of the reason why I purchase a phone, bigger is better for me. I'm glad Google decided to stay above 4.5" for this, 4.7" is completely acceptable in my view and a brilliant size.

Albeit I wouldn't complain if they made if bigger, but I've got my Note 2 to fill that spot. But hey, I wouldn't wven mind if they made the Note bigger!

XVentura
Oct 30, 2012, 11:12 AM
I'm not in the US but can get someone to pick it up for me. I assume that it'll work anywhere in the world, yes? Also, which states don't have a tax that'll add on to the basic $299?

$299 is just too god damned cheap for a phone like this.

The Face
Oct 30, 2012, 11:17 AM
No where should add tax on, $299 is the sim free price from Google play store tax included.

Scrub175
Oct 30, 2012, 11:27 AM
It's interesting to read how removing LTE has a good technical justification now, but during the next big thing campaign Samsung poked fun at how Apple is finally catching up to the current crop of smartphones by adding LTE.

I really like what google is doing with the nexus line from a business perspective. Set the specs, set the manufacturer to your specs, competitively price the phone as an off contract carrier free device. Google has the good better best and device size that fits your needs. Overall I hate to see the nexus line diluted but from a protected device perspective, this really strengthens Google's Nexus brand and Android OS.

I remember when the Nexus 1 was announced and pulled from Verizon, that was disappointing. The Nexus was the flagship that got all the goodies from devs and pure vanilla from Google.

PDFierro
Oct 30, 2012, 11:38 AM
No where should add tax on, $299 is the sim free price from Google play store tax included.

And where did you see that? For devices sold on Google Play, tax is always added at check out. And a high shipping charge.

rmhop81
Oct 30, 2012, 11:44 AM

tax and shipping on the $349 device add a good $40. just under $400 in total for the device. Tax and shipping is not included in their prices....it's extra.

XVentura
Oct 30, 2012, 11:45 AM
What taxes are added? Surely that's dependent on the state you're buying it from.

The Face
Oct 30, 2012, 11:49 AM
tax and shipping on the $349 device add a good $40. just under $400 in total for the device. Tax and shipping is not included in their prices....it's extra.

Oh I see, I'm in the UK and the price you see is the price you pay, the tax isn't added on at the end. Didn't realise it's different in the states, apologies!

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 11:56 AM
key word, "supposedly"

Oh?

http://i.imgur.com/pHNH9.png

http://i.imgur.com/4KOfA.png

Keep in mind that's 13+ hours with 48% left. I could go another 10 hours easily. It's not hard to believe 15+ hours of battery life on HSPA+ for the Nexus 4.

Waiting a few more seconds when browsing versus nearly double battery life... worth it.

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 12:06 PM
The true advantage of this gorgeous phone is it's spacious 4.7" display.

Tis be gorgeous, indeed. The iPhone 5 still looks weird to me, like it's a chocolate bar.

I think the back of both devices is love or hate.

But the sides easily go to Apple's diamond cut polish edges, especially the white one.

rmhop81
Oct 30, 2012, 12:07 PM
Oh?

Image (http://i.imgur.com/pHNH9.png)
Image (http://i.imgur.com/4KOfA.png)

Keep in mind that's 13+ hours with 48% left. I could go another 10 hours easily. It's not hard to believe 15+ hours of battery life on HSPA+ for the Nexus 4.

Waiting a few more seconds when browsing versus nearly double battery life... worth it.

galaxy nexus?