PDA

View Full Version : First Gameplay Video of 'Angry Birds Star Wars'

MacRumors
Oct 29, 2012, 11:38 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/29/first-gameplay-video-of-angry-birds-star-wars/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/10/NewImage44.png
Angry Birds Star Wars will be released on November 8th (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/08/angry-birds-star-wars-comes-out-november-8th/), but today we get our first view of actual gameplay. The game plays like the standard Angry Birds, but with a Star Wars-themed twist. The video shows birds using the Force and wielding a light saber to smash the Darkside-using Pigs.

Typical for Rovio games, Angry Birds Star Wars will be available for iOS and Mac.

0Yq9idnT1OM

Article Link: First Gameplay Video of 'Angry Birds Star Wars' (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/29/first-gameplay-video-of-angry-birds-star-wars/)

costabunny
Oct 29, 2012, 11:41 AM
I want, I want, I want!

Isengardtom
Oct 29, 2012, 11:41 AM
looks pretty funny

maybe I'll check it out

Also, please make a star trek version :-)

Whatsit
Oct 29, 2012, 11:43 AM
My 10-year-old is going to plotz. He just managed to save up half the cost of an iPod Touch, so we're buying it for him tonight. Just in time for this.

We may never see him again.

r018u
Oct 29, 2012, 11:44 AM
Wow, now they are really cashing out.

I wonder how many games they can get away with?

Bathplug
Oct 29, 2012, 11:44 AM
I was getting ready to yawn but that lightsaber does look good but I'll pass. Its a shame it won't be universal or have icloud gamesaves but you'll be sure to see in app purchases & ads.

Porco
Oct 29, 2012, 11:46 AM
I plan to... I don't know... fly casual.

madsci954
Oct 29, 2012, 11:50 AM
Another Angry Birds cash cow, ready to be milked.

Sven11
Oct 29, 2012, 11:52 AM
I wait for Angry Birds Star Trek with assimilated piggies.

jonproject
Oct 29, 2012, 11:53 AM
Angry Birds Star Wars: The Search For More Money

notjustjay
Oct 29, 2012, 11:55 AM
http://cbsy98.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/jump_the_shark.jpg?w=420

iThinkIt
Oct 29, 2012, 11:59 AM
iThinkIt is calling me from a galaxy far far way.:eek:

Isengardtom
Oct 29, 2012, 12:00 PM
Image (http://cbsy98.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/jump_the_shark.jpg?w=420)

love this one

craftytony
Oct 29, 2012, 12:02 PM
Lol, that actually looks pretty funny. As a star wars fan I have to buy it! ;)

charlituna
Oct 29, 2012, 12:10 PM
Another Angry Birds cash cow, ready to be milked.

I rather have to agree. Aside from Bad Piggies which uses a totally different game play, all of these 'games' are really just level packs of the original and should have been sold that way. But Rovio likes to rule the charts with as many titles in the top list as they can because it makes them look more awesome and get more sales etc. It's rather gross. They aren't the only guilty party (Cut the Rope has pulled the same stunts for example) but they are the most noticed.

I completely expect to see Angry Birds Twilight, Angry Birds Hobbit, Angry Birds Avengers etc if they can get away with it.

cclloyd
Oct 29, 2012, 12:14 PM
Rovio Headquarters: "Hey, let's double the price to $2 and sell the original one as Angry Birds Classic!"

Hexiii
Oct 29, 2012, 12:19 PM
Well... it doesn't look that awesome...

Porco
Oct 29, 2012, 12:24 PM
I'm looking forward to reading more of the insightful views about how rather than being a cheap and fun game for fans of both Angry Birds and Star Wars, this actually a cyncial way to make money from either/both Rovio and/or George Lucas (ignoring the fact Lucas has retired and so isn't personally responsible in any way).

I'll be particularly pleased if someone can explain how anyone will be forced (no pun intended) to buy the game, or why it's a terrible thing to bring people a game that will be enjoyed in a world full of bad games that are no fun but cost much more money.

ArtOfWarfare
Oct 29, 2012, 12:36 PM
I'll be particularly pleased if someone can explain how anyone will be forced (no pun intended) to buy the game

It's not so much that they'll be forced to buy this game as other games will be pushed off of the charts, and so, for all intents and purposes, no longer be available on the app store.

As Rovio continues to release these expansions and bill them as new apps, they'll continue to clutter the top charts until there aren't other games available on the app store.

verniesgarden
Oct 29, 2012, 12:44 PM
It's not so much that they'll be forced to buy this game as other games will be pushed off of the charts, and so, for all intents and purposes, no longer be available on the app store.

As Rovio continues to release these expansions and bill them as new apps, they'll continue to clutter the top charts until there aren't other games available on the app store.

so you are upset that they keep making games people want to buy?

Stu-Pid
Oct 29, 2012, 12:45 PM
I'm looking forward to reading more of the insightful views about how rather than being a cheap and fun game for fans of both Angry Birds and Star Wars, this actually a cyncial way to make money from either/both Rovio and/or George Lucas (ignoring the fact Lucas has retired and so isn't personally responsible in any way).

I'll be particularly pleased if someone can explain how anyone will be forced (no pun intended) to buy the game, or why it's a terrible thing to bring people a game that will be enjoyed in a world full of bad games that are no fun but cost much more money.

Quite right.

I've spent just over £2 in total on Angry Birds, Angry Birds Seasons, and Angry Birds Space and have had countless hours of entertainment on my daily commute for that money, as well as loads of new levels added completely free of charge. And to make things even better, due to account sharing in iTunes, my wife has also enjoyed exactly the same completely free.

In fact, the Angry Birds games may well be the best value for money purchase that we have ever made all things considered, and yet people still complain about them! Very strange.

powaking
Oct 29, 2012, 01:50 PM
How much milk is left in this cow?

notjustjay
Oct 29, 2012, 02:09 PM
love this one

Heh, thanks. If I was at home or had Photoshop on this work computer I'd have made an image with an Angry Bird jumping. Someone else is welcome to do so :)

quicksketch
Oct 29, 2012, 02:25 PM
Lego Starwars Angry Birds: The Movie

GameGenie710
Oct 29, 2012, 02:50 PM
Angry Birds Star Wars, because why the hell not?

iPadPublisher
Oct 29, 2012, 03:00 PM
But Rovio likes to rule the charts with as many titles in the top list as they can because it makes them look more awesome and get more sales etc. It's rather gross.

Gross to see a business making money instead of handily giving away their stuff? I think your comments are gross. Free markets, if you don't like it then don't buy it.

I applaud Rovio and will continue to do so until there's a reason not to.

Astroexe
Oct 29, 2012, 03:03 PM
*Sigh* Angry Birds has become WAY too mainstream.

Want300
Oct 29, 2012, 03:05 PM
I am currently enjoying Bad Piggies... I am pretty burnt out on Angry Birds, but I think I will have to purchase this one, that looked pretty sweet.

hushypushy
Oct 29, 2012, 03:24 PM

haha, imagine that. The iTunes Store Top 10 games---all different versions of Angry Birds :D

shadowbird423
Oct 29, 2012, 03:38 PM
http://cbsy98.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/jump_the_shark.jpg?

Heh, thanks. If I was at home or had Photoshop on this work computer I'd have made an image with an Angry Bird jumping. Someone else is welcome to do so :)

http://i.imgur.com/qL7fo.jpg

Gemütlichkeit
Oct 29, 2012, 03:45 PM
I'm one of the 10 people on this planet that doesn't own any Angry Birds game and I sure as hell am not starting now lol.

Colpeas
Oct 29, 2012, 04:06 PM
...and once again, they will rather release two separate versions (a.k.a. the iPhone version & the HD version) instead of packing it in a nice universal "container". The HD version will be once again more expensive than the iPhone version. For some reason, even though it's the same effin' game, you'll be forced to pay twice...

Yeah, what's the saying? Milk it, baby, milk it...

Apple should take measures against this "iPhone app" and "HD app" business.

hushypushy
Oct 29, 2012, 04:25 PM
...and once again, they will rather release two separate versions (a.k.a. the iPhone version & the HD version) instead of packing it in a nice universal "container". The HD version will be once again more expensive than the iPhone version. For some reason, even though it's the same effin' game, you'll be forced to pay twice...

Yeah, what's the saying? Milk it, baby, milk it...

Apple should take measures against this "iPhone app" and "HD app" business.

Okay, so let's assume Apple does take measures. Then what?

Then Angry Birds would be $3.99 and universal. As opposed to $2.99 + $0.99 for the separate versions. So what's the difference?? :confused:

But of course, I'm sure you think the universal app should just be $0.99, right?

iansilv
Oct 29, 2012, 04:54 PM
I just inoculated.

ArtOfWarfare
Oct 29, 2012, 05:44 PM

No, I'm upset that I can't find games I want to buy. I played some of the first Angry Birds for a week or two, it was okay, and then I was done with it. I'd like it if I could find some more variety within the top game lists.

I'm also upset when I think about how feasible it is to make a successful iOS game without marketing it.

Porco
Oct 29, 2012, 06:05 PM

No, I'm upset that I can't find games I want to buy. I played some of the first Angry Birds for a week or two, it was okay, and then I was done with it. I'd like it if I could find some more variety within the top game lists.

I'm also upset when I think about how feasible it is to make a successful iOS game without marketing it.

Sorry, but it's not Rovio's responsibility to make the iTunes store's discoverability better. Although I tend to agree with you that it is something which could be improved.

CReimer
Oct 29, 2012, 06:10 PM
Angry Birds Star Wars: The Search for Jar-Jar

:p

iansilv
Oct 29, 2012, 06:16 PM
I love Angry Birds, but I do agree that we could use a little more variety in the games department and a better way to discover them. I think there is a huge barrier to games entering the app store ecosystem and doing well that are really played much better if they are not controlled with fingers on the screen.

I love fighting games, I don't really want to play them with my fingers on the screen. Same thing for shooters- I like to use the display to, you know, display things. Angry Birds is fine with touch controls because the act of touching the screen relates directly to the playability of the game itself, and I think that is part of its runaway success.

So why can't we get a case manufacturer to plug the gap and make a case that puts a cross on the left, a few buttons on the right, two triggers on the top or back, and essentially make the iPhone in to something that looks like the new NEO GEO portable?

I have seen the kick-starter iOS gamepad control systems and they are all crap- I want a case- a firm, nice case that actually allows you to use the phone without anymore compromise than a slight increase in size, and use it as a portable gaming device as well. I think this would break open the iOS game market to other genres of gaming besides ones that require touch as part of their playability.

WilliamLondon
Oct 29, 2012, 08:08 PM

Not sure I understand. Do you have a problem with a company making more money (i.e. their whole raison d'être), or do you have a problem with people enjoying the products they make? Or do you simply not enjoy series?

This game looks like a lot of fun, can't wait to get my new iPad mini and buy this game to play on it. :p

iansilv
Oct 29, 2012, 09:31 PM
Not sure I understand. Do you have a problem with a company making more money (i.e. their whole raison d'être), or do you have a problem with people enjoying the products they make? Or do you simply not enjoy series?

This game looks like a lot of fun, can't wait to get my new iPad mini and buy this game to play on it. :p

Man, it just hit me how awesome an iPad mini would be for gaming...

Ironduke
Oct 29, 2012, 10:45 PM
Exploit you I will

verniesgarden
Oct 29, 2012, 10:48 PM
I'm one of the 10 people on this planet that doesn't own any Angry Birds game and I sure as hell am not starting now lol.

bad piggies is really fun and nothing like angry birds.

mrsir2009
Oct 30, 2012, 12:35 AM

I'm guessing the popularity has waned quite a lot since the first one. I doubt as many people would buy this as the first, but definitely enough to make it worthwhile developing. The Angry Birds franchise will stay reasonably popular for quite a while, however it may cannibalise on itself somewhat. There'll be many new iOS users who will buy Angry Birds Star Wars rather than the original version, so the same will simply come from the latest game rather than the original game.

Colpeas
Oct 30, 2012, 02:47 AM
Okay, so let's assume Apple does take measures. Then what?

Then Angry Birds would be $3.99 and universal. As opposed to $2.99 + $0.99 for the separate versions. So what's the difference?? :confused:

But of course, I'm sure you think the universal app should just be $0.99, right?

Even if the universal app was $3.99, I'd be glad that I don't have to have 2 separate apps. I'm just sick of all those HD versions. But on the other hand, this price would't be very good for rovio's business, sales would do down. So they would probably have to lower the price to like $1.99.

Lancer
Oct 30, 2012, 04:46 AM
Can't wait, just finished the Halloween one :)

tatonka
Oct 30, 2012, 05:17 AM
Didin't care for the space version too much .. but this one looks interesting, definitively worth a buck.

Hating on mainstream Angry Bird, has become way to mainstream ;-)

T.

angrybirds365
Oct 30, 2012, 07:29 AM
I'm a huge fan of Star Wars and i have played every single version of Angry Birds on my iphone! I couldn't expect bigger news for this winter!

ilguano
Oct 30, 2012, 09:53 AM

It's nice to feel special aint it? :P

Mac21ND
Oct 30, 2012, 10:42 AM
Am I the only person who doesn't care for Angry Birds? :confused:

charlituna
Oct 30, 2012, 10:03 PM
Gross to see a business making money instead of handily giving away their stuff? I think your comments are gross. Free markets, if you don't like it then don't buy it.

I applaud Rovio and will continue to do so until there's a reason not to.

App spamming, no matter the motives, is gross.

Course they will say that licensing forced them to make them separate apps for the movie tieins but there is no excuse for the rest

And now that Disney owns LucasFilm they will probably create Temple Run Star Wars so we can have another company App spamming.

stardustx7
Oct 31, 2012, 09:08 AM
Didn't really expect to still see new version of Angry Birds (http://angrybirdsjournal.com/angry-birds-star-wars-guide/) coming out after almost two years after the original release.

My forecast, there will sure be a paid episode, just like Angry Birds Space had one.

charlituna
Oct 31, 2012, 11:07 AM
they'll continue to clutter the top charts until there aren't other games available on the app store.

to say the games aren't available on the store is hyperbolic. It is more an issue of class. Rovio doesn't need the charts to market their games. They have mind share thanks to the games, the plush dolls, the shirts.

Other smaller companies not so much. They need things like the charts to help out their efforts so they can grow to that level. So when a major company hogs the limelight, well it's tacky.

----------

They can make the games. they can sell the games. But when they make something like 'seasons' which is really just a level pack and sell it as a new app rather than a level pack in the original game that's a crude and anticompetitive move. Of course it's allowed in the rules since Apple won't set up controls and force companies to use IAP anymore than they will stop this whole two versions for free and paid to get rid of the apps but that doesn't make it any less crude and obnoxious.

----------

Angry Birds Star Wars, because why the hell not?

Now that Disney bought Lucasfilms don't be shocked if they turn to their fav game and we get Temple Run: Star Wars. Hell I'm still expecting to see a Temple Run: Marvel at some point. or Temple Run: Muppets.

Perhaps Disney will buy Rovio and we'll get Angry Birds games as well. And even Bad Piggies games (that would be an apt one for the Muppets since it already as a pig in it)

----------

...and once again, they will rather release two separate versions (a.k.a. the iPhone version & the HD version) instead of packing it in a nice universal "container".

Not a fav move of mine either. There comes a point when such things are just being greedy.

ArtOfWarfare
Oct 31, 2012, 02:10 PM
Now that Disney bought Lucasfilms don't be shocked if they turn to their fav game and we get Temple Run: Star Wars. Hell I'm still expecting to see a Temple Run: Marvel at some point. or Temple Run: Muppets.

Perhaps Disney will buy Rovio and we'll get Angry Birds games as well. And even Bad Piggies games (that would be an apt one for the Muppets since it already as a pig in it)[COLOR="#808080"]

Angry Temple Birds Run?

RobertMartens
Nov 1, 2012, 12:35 AM
How much milk is left in this cow?

Unfortunately cows don't work that way.

cpuguy18
Nov 1, 2012, 03:01 PM
2 of my favorite things angry birds and star wars.

Ravee3rd
Nov 4, 2012, 07:42 AM
I've got to agree with the comments that question why so many people feel such negativity and, it seems, almost hate for this new Angry Birds app coming out on Nov 8. Rovio's Angry Birds apps are not deep, involved production or utility apps. They're meant to be lighthearted fun. And, as one person commented, I, personally, have had a lot of fun with all the different versions since the beginning-at very little cost. Judging by the sales records, I'm only one of an enormous number of people who feel this way. If you're one of the minority who don't feel that way, just don't buy them and you won't be affected. I can promise you that one person's comment stating that eventually, all the Angry Birds apps will fill up the listings on the AppStore and prevent other apps from having a chance is silly. Lighten up and have fun with the apps—or don't. Your choice. You won't be hurt either way.

angrybirds365
Nov 8, 2012, 06:29 AM
Ok Angry Birds Star Wars are officially out! Just downloaded it and i can say with certainty that's the best angry birds game since the first one! I'm playing for 2 hours nonstop! I'm writting a small review right now at my blog.

r018u
Oct 18, 2013, 11:45 PM

Sorry, it was a comment based on my opinion. As you can probably guess I'm not that interested in this series.