Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulspin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I have a MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 13"/White-08 (Model ID 4.1). I cleaned my keyboard with a magic eraser following some online instructions. Unfortunately some excess moisture must have seeped underneath the keyboard because now some keys aren't working (Fail.) For example, the keys (E, D, 3) don't work at all and the alt/option button activates 4 other buttons simultaneously.

I've already removed the battery and let the system air out for over 24 hours with no improvement.

After data backup I'm planning the keyboard myself following the instructions on ifixit.com.

My question is this: is it possible, or advisable, to replace the defected keyboard with the keyboard from a MacBook "Core Duo" (white 2006 edition). I have one of these sitting around. It doesn't work but I imagine it could be used for spare parts.

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
The keyboard will be swappable and work.

BUT: The 2006 MacBook uses a different layout. Therefore, the top F.. keys won't function properly.

Also, a 2008 MacBook is still within the topcase replacement warranty. So if it's cracked bring it in an Apple Store and you will get a topcase and screen bezel! Just tell them you heard of the program and you'd like to get it replaced. Don't talk about the malfunctioning.

If it's not cracked, crack it at the front! :cool:

Works every time! believe me , I've done dozens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.