PDA

View Full Version : Electrocution every time I use my MBA




xGrape
Oct 29, 2012, 12:15 PM
I am guessing I am not the only one who gets a jolt every time they touch the metal surface of the MBA. I'm guessing it's static electricity caused by friction from my clothes and the office chair. Still kind of annoying. So...

#1 can or will this cause damage to the MBA over time?
#2 any way around it, apart from getting a new chair or not wearing any clothes?



colourfastt
Oct 29, 2012, 12:36 PM
I am guessing I am not the only one who gets a jolt every time they touch the metal surface of the MBA. I'm guessing it's static electricity caused by friction from my clothes and the office chair. Still kind of annoying. So...

#1 can or will this cause damage to the MBA over time?
#2 any way around it, apart from getting a new chair or not wearing any clothes?

The first question: are you using the 2 prong plug from the adapter or the 3 prong plug from the extension cord? (Hint: the 2 prong plug doesn't have a ground.)

Gav2k
Oct 29, 2012, 12:37 PM
The first question: are you using the 2 prong plug from the adapter or the 3 prong plug from the extension cord? (Hint: the 2 prong plug doesn't have a ground.)

Neither will 'ground' the air!

glitch44
Oct 29, 2012, 12:39 PM
Electrocution means death. You mean shock.

Touch a piece of grounded metal (like a file cabinet) before you touch your Air.

DrumApple
Oct 29, 2012, 12:40 PM
This would occasionally happen to me with my old MBP- I hated it because I hate getting shocked! Every person has their own static buildup, some people get shocked more than others. Not much you can do.

Same thing happens to me when I get out of the car, so I've learned to touch the metal of the inside door WHILE getting out of the car, so that you return the charge to the car and not to yourself.

ideal.dreams
Oct 29, 2012, 01:00 PM
Happens every time I touch my Apple wired aluminum keyboard. Pretty annoying actually.

Mrbobb
Oct 29, 2012, 01:01 PM
Wear different clothing, shoes, increase humidity in the room.

In an old power center, it had a "discharge pad" for people who have this problem, u just touch the pad before working on the computer.

U can fashion such pad by tying a 15,000(+/-) ohms resistor to an outlet's ground to your metal table would be perfect.

hchung
Oct 29, 2012, 01:23 PM
I am guessing I am not the only one who gets a jolt every time they touch the metal surface of the MBA. I'm guessing it's static electricity caused by friction from my clothes and the office chair. Still kind of annoying. So...

#1 can or will this cause damage to the MBA over time?
#2 any way around it, apart from getting a new chair or not wearing any clothes?

In summary:
1) No.
2) Yes, use the 3-prong grounded power adapter cord. And make sure that your building's electrical system actually has the 3rd prong (ground) wired correctly.

mrsir2009
Oct 29, 2012, 01:23 PM
Are you using a power cable that's not grounded?

xGrape
Oct 29, 2012, 01:41 PM
Are you using a power cable that's not grounded?
All cabling is properly grounded.

The-Pro
Oct 29, 2012, 02:15 PM
I get really strong constant electric shocks from the edge of my MBP. I can never place my lower arms on the edge when I type. A real pain in the ass. Hurts a lot too.

iRCL
Oct 29, 2012, 02:27 PM
Nope never

"you're holding it wrong"

OnEMoReTrY
Nov 1, 2012, 10:51 AM
All cabling is properly grounded.

It's only grounded if you're using the 3-prong plug. You shouldn't be getting shocked if you're using the 3-prong plug, but you will if you're using the 2-prong.