Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
"in our short time with the tablet we found it to be on par with the iPad's Retina display"

Ouch.

Wifi only is a problem. No SD slot is a WTF? $100 less than iPad is nice, "but buyers will still have to contend with the anemic options in the Android tablet app ecosystem." (quoting the Verge).

I won't be getting one. If I wanted a big heavy tablet, I'd get an iPad 4... :p

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
"in our short time with the tablet we found it to be on par with the iPad's Retina display"

Ouch.

Wifi only is a problem. No SD slot is a WTF? $100 less than iPad is nice, "but buyers will still have to contend with the anemic options in the Android tablet app ecosystem." (quoting the Verge).

I won't be getting one. If I wanted a big heavy tablet, I'd get an iPad 4... :p

Yeah, no SD is a bummer.. but it's still cheaper than Apple's offerings.. however, I feel the same.. if I am going to spend 400+ on a tablet, I'd go for a full sized iPad. Since I own a 15" rMBP.. I think I'll stick between the Nexus 7/iPad Mini.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Nexus 7 is coming out 3g. That would have been nice but I opted to go iPad Mini. If I don't like the mini and go with an iPad 4 or a Nexus 10 if they come out with a 4g model.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
I personally think the Nexus 10 looks very ugly. I'm an Android lover btw, I own a Nexus 7 and have owned many Android phones. I bet the screen looks beautiful though at 300 ppi on a 10" device.

If that is ineed the Picture of Nexus 10 It surely looks very ugly.

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
No SD cards on Google devices is Google's phvck you to Microsoft. They refuse to pay for the MSDOS file format license. I say good for them.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
no mobile options

though it has more PPI than the new iPad

it looks ugly

competition is good, but Jon Ive has no competition when it comes to design

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
Nexus 10 does look like a great device, hopefully ipad 5 is not far away. competition can only help us customers.

thoughts?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3568784/nexus-10-preview-price-release-date

Here's the deal, I think everyone knew that the competition would eventually catch up from a technical spec perspective, and even surpass the iPad at some point. I'm actually surprised that it's taken this long.

However, they can come out with the greatest hardware ever, but they still have a huge gaping hold in my opinion, and that is the total lack of Tablet optimized apps. The great fancy hardware is all for nothing IMHO if you are running stretched out smartphone apps.

The hardware part is much easier and always was in the cards (catching up or surpassing the iPad on technical specs), it was just a matter of time. However, I think they (Android) will have a much harder time catching up with Apple in terms of tablet optimized apps.

Until I can be reasonably assured that the Google Play store has tablet optimized apps for everything I want, I won't even be looking at Android, and that has nothing to do with the OS or hardware.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
Seems like a lot of people keep their iPad face down...

I generally tend to look at the screen myself. I put grip-ability ie, function over pure aesthetics. The back is normal, it's not ugly, it's perfectly acceptable. Funny thing is people will spend money to buy plastic or silicone cases to cover their aluminum devices :D Well you don't have to bother with the Nexus.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Seems like a lot of people keep their iPad face down...

I generally tend to look at the screen myself. I put grip-ability ie, function over pure aesthetics. The back is normal, it's not ugly, it's perfectly acceptable. Funny thing is people will spend money to buy plastic or silicone cases to cover their aluminum devices :D Well you don't have to bother with the Nexus.

I agree with this. I'd like a nice grippy back that is resistant to scratches. No need to buy back covers then.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
no mobile options

though it has more PPI than the new iPad

it looks ugly

This.

I'd rather have the design of the iPad and the functionality of iOS than a little bit higher PPI.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
It's about the +total+ package: design, performance (as an equation of device+os), support channel, ecosystem, tablet specific apps, interoperability with other devices, content ... etc. :)

It's the same with cars, there are higher (spec'ed) vehicles that don't offer the complete package of competitive models when it comes to everything: design, performance, dealer support, driver experience, etc.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I agree with this. I'd like a nice grippy back that is resistant to scratches. No need to buy back covers then.
Hmm...I had the iPad 2 and now have iPad 3 and I've got no scratches and it's never slipped out of my hands.

ITGuy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2005
I'm very happy to see Google and Microsoft coming to the table. Competition is great for us consumers. Hopefully Apple will have to rethink their add-on pricing for additional storage and for cellular capability.

I believe we will be seeing iPad (5th generation) sooner than later if Google does well with the Nexus 10. We know it will look like the iPad mini and iPhone 5, it will be thinner and lighter, and have the next generation Qualcomm Gobi baseband modem that sucks less power than the version in iPhone 5, iPad 4, and iPad mini.

Tim Cook and Phil Schiller don't have the charisma to keep the RDF at full strength, and I'm actually glad for that.

-ITGuy

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Although it will take time - but if there are competitive devices app developers will write more and more apps for the Google device. App developers will spend their time writing for devices that they think will sell their apps.

Windows 8 devices may really be the one that loses.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Specs are bla bla bla... the difference between 264 vs. 300 isn't going to make ANY difference when you use it. The pixels are already small enough

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I personally think the Nexus 10 looks very ugly. I'm an Android lover btw, I own a Nexus 7 and have owned many Android phones. I bet the screen looks beautiful though at 300 ppi on a 10" device.

I agree with you. Of the three nexus devices (4/7/10) its the ugly brother. Why they didn't just ask ASUS to design it (probably because Samsung wanted to be in control in order to allow them to user their display technology).

But spec wise there is nothing that really puts that much pressure on the iPad 4 in order for Apple to feel the need to push out a quick revised version.

Look forward to the benchmarking differences to see how the A15 in the Nexus 10 compares to the A6X in the iPad 4. Im wagering that A6X will be more powerful.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Why does it remotely look like a good device? Chunky cheap plastic looking device.

Resolution is a little higher. I don't think it's useful to be higher than the ipad 3.

Folks don't understand how iOS works. Apps are written to exact pixel dimensions. It's provides a efficient environment and best usability by having apps written to specific pixel dimensions.

Ipad has only ever had one resolution. Retina just doubled it so that iOS can efficiently map one pixel to four. iPhone does the same thing. Iphone 5 threw in a monkey wrench changing the vertical height only.

iOS apps can't have arbitrary screen sizes. You won't see hardware with slightly higher resolution, it's double or nothing. Android uses algorithms to place controls allowing it to adapt to a wide variety of screen sizes, aspect ratios etc.

Initially it seemed that iOS was disadvantaged, but apps say otherwise. It's the reason why iOS apps can be so optimized for the best user experience. Developers know exactly what the screen dimensions are.

With android, it handles it, so why bother to optimize. There's such a wide variety of resolutions, aspect ratios and sizes that its impractical to optimize the user experience.

The result is wonderfully optimized apps for the ipad, and blown up phone apps running on android tablets.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
The N10 looks like a Samsung device. No wait, I'll take that back. Most Samsung devices (TV's, for example) have better outside designs.

I'm not sure who designed it but agree...Asus should have.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I agree with you. Of the three nexus devices (4/7/10) its the ugly brother. Why they didn't just ask ASUS to design it (probably because Samsung wanted to be in control in order to allow them to user their display technology).

But spec wise there is nothing that really puts that much pressure on the iPad 4 in order for Apple to feel the need to push out a quick revised version.

Look forward to the benchmarking differences to see how the A15 in the Nexus 10 compares to the A6X in the iPad 4. Im wagering that A6X will be more powerful.

I'm very excited to see the benchmarks too. This thing is the first mainstream A15 device, and at 1.7 GHz, I hope it's super fast. The A6X will most likely kill it in the GPU department, though.

----------

Sad but true.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
The Nexus 10 won't even touch the iPad. The thing is absolutely hideous, and Android tablet apps are so mediocre.

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011

Exynos 5250 CPU already proven to miles ahead of A6 (A6 in iPhone5). A6X will definitely have same CPU with upgraded graphics.
Exynos (used in Chromebook) has already beaten A6 CPU in every CPU benchmarks - SunSpider, Peacekeeper, V8, Octane etc., The margins are quite big.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.