PDA

View Full Version : Configuring MBA 13"

jc244
Oct 29, 2012, 01:18 PM
Hi. I just ordered a MBA 13" with max specs and it got me thinking just what kind of limitations there are in upgrading the MBA yourself. I know the RAM and SSD are soldered to the logic board. But has anyone actually taken the MBA apart and inspected these? Can someone use his own solder at home and unhook these connections?

And I think somewhere I read that the SSD connections are locked so that only apple branded SSDs can be used with the MBA. Can anyone confirm this?

At the least, I was thinking maybe I can replace the RAM using some tools at home.

Thanks.

tiwizard
Oct 29, 2012, 01:20 PM
Hi. I just ordered a MBA 13" with max specs and it got me thinking just what kind of limitations there are in upgrading the MBA yourself. I know the RAM and SSD are soldered to the logic board. But has anyone actually taken the MBA apart and inspected these? Can someone use his own solder at home and unhook these connections?

And I think somewhere I read that the SSD connections are locked so that only apple branded SSDs can be used with the MBA. Can anyone confirm this?

At the least, I was thinking maybe I can replace the RAM using some tools at home.

Thanks.

You can only change the SSD (OWC has some replacements)-- everything else is soldered on. However, the MBA is a non-user serviceable machine and attempting to disconnect or replace parts may result in a void warranty.

If you were planning on upgrading RAM later, I don't even know where you'd *find* replacement RAM except in another dead Air.

mrsir2009
Oct 29, 2012, 01:29 PM

Thanks.

The RAM is soldered in and cannot be practically replaced, however the SSD can be removed by the user and replaced with larger ones from OWC (as the poster above said). It will technically void your warranty, however as with jailbroken iDevices, you've still got a warranty if Apple doesn't know about it ;)

Mrbobb
Oct 29, 2012, 01:55 PM

Home tools = brain surgery using an hatchet.

Maybe some enterprising ex-high tech manufacturing guy scores some used industrial soldering equipment can make a business out it in on eBay? :rolleyes: