Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I am trying to familiarize myself with InDesign CS2, since i haven't used it since ver. 1.0. I guess i would like to know why when i do a Save As, i can save it as a CS2 doc; but i don't get any options to save as an older version.

How do i go about saving a file from CS2, down to CS? At home i have CS2, and at school, where i sometimes need to print large documents, they only have InDesign CS.

I have tried opening the doc in CS, didn't work, it said that i needed to get the latest plugin's or update to CS2. CS2 on gives me the option to save as a document, or a template. However, if i try to Export..., it gives me these options: [attached image]

So what do i do?

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    85.7 KB · Views: 313

macphisto

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2002
At home
Sweetfeld28 said:
I am trying to familiarize myself with InDesign CS2, since i haven't used it since ver. 1.0. I guess i would like to know why when i do a Save As, i can save it as a CS2 doc; but i don't get any options to save as an older version.

How do i go about saving a file from CS2, down to CS? At home i have CS2, and at school, where i sometimes need to print large documents, they only have InDesign CS.

I have tried opening the doc in CS, didn't work, it said that i needed to get the latest plugin's or update to CS2. CS2 on gives me the option to save as a document, or a template. However, if i try to Export..., it gives me these options: [attached image]

So what do i do?

I believe that you need to save it as an Indesign Interchange format and that will take care of everything. The only thing I can see as a problem is that sometimes the fonts get confused and you have to relink them. Other than that, you can open it in CS and 2 just fine.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
yes i also tried that too. but indesign told me that it was unable to open it. So the only solution i found is to save it as a PDF, which i can't later on edit, in order to print it.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
If they need those fonts, pre-flight and package it out from CS2. The folder from the package is where you want to save the exported .INX file to. That way you can send the whole package to the other user on CS1, fonts and all.

To open an .INX file. Make sure the CS1 app has the current update that allows .INX support from CS2.

Create outlines (in CS2) if you don't want to send fonts to the CS1 user.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
No not by using InDesign CS2 i didn't. I just reinstalled my old Indesign CS version, to solve the problem.

I just don't understand why they wouldn't let you save down. It makes no sense to me. Another thing that makes me mad is that my school has CS but doesn't update the programs. I checked for updates for InDesign CS and sure enough, there is an update for this specific problem.

Figures :(

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
I just don't understand why they wouldn't let you save down. It makes no sense to me. Another thing that makes me mad is that my school has CS but doesn't update the programs. I checked for updates for InDesign CS and sure enough, there is an update for this specific problem.

Adobe introduced InDesign 1.x and 2.x when OS 9 and earlier was still the mainstay for desktop on a Mac. With the introduction of OS X, everything changed. It was as though a great invisible development fence was built and all the software manufacturers had to "re-write" the applications to conform to the way the new OS ran. With the way the OS was written it was just to difficult and buggy for Adobe (and most other companies) to be able to "retro-save" to pre-OS X versions of the software. It's kinda like the government saying that from now on all cars will run on diesel fuel and all the auto makers have to build cars to run on it, but trying to make a car run on gasoline from diesel just won't work
:rolleyes:

Besides they have to make you spend your money for upgrades somehow :mad:

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Sparky-

I get what your saying, but i just think that when a company such as Adobe, manufactures software for use in the design industry it should include support for at least the newer versions of the "older software" if you will.

I understand that CS is different from ver. 1, or 2. If it was up to me i would include backwards support from CS2 to CS only.

This is exactly what makes me mad at my current co-op job. I or a co-worker will do something in Quark, or InDesign, and send it to someone else in the building. Then they get the file only to find out they can't open it unless they download some third party plugin to make it work.

Thanks for the input though Sparky

tfsweet

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2005
Sweetfeld,

I also had the same problem with CS2 at home and CS at school. I found a way to fix this problem. Adobe has an update for the CS app ( just make sure you are getting the MAC version). Here is the link to the URL to the description of the patch http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331351.html

and here is the url to the actual MAC patch that you have to install
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2448

Hope this works for you as it did for me. All you have to do is save ur CS2 ID under file > export > and InDesign Interchange format and you should be set :D :D :D :D Good Luck!

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Thanks, I finally got it to work! I still think it is stupid to have to do this though.

But, Thanks again guys for all your help.

Ryan

tfsweet said:
Sweetfeld,

I also had the same problem with CS2 at home and CS at school. I found a way to fix this problem. Adobe has an update for the CS app ( just make sure you are getting the MAC version). Here is the link to the URL to the description of the patch http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331351.html

and here is the url to the actual MAC patch that you have to install
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2448

Hope this works for you as it did for me. All you have to do is save ur CS2 ID under file > export > and InDesign Interchange format and you should be set :D :D :D :D Good Luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.