PDA

View Full Version : How will my 2007 Macbook compare to the Late 2010 11" Air?

Zaeyde
Oct 29, 2012, 03:50 PM
My 2007 macbook is failing hard. I don't have a lot of money, so I am buying an 11" air for $600.

My main concern is I'm going to notice a performance hit because all the numbers I see are lower. But I'm a little dumb with how speed works with these things, so I was wondering if someone could tell me if you think I'm really going to notice much. I mainly use my computer for internet, word processing, and photoshop.

Here's the specs:

Macbook:
Memory: 4G RAM 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Graphics: GMA X3100

Air (Late 2010)
Memory: 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Processor: 1.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Graphics: NVIDA GeForce 320M 256 MB

I know some things about computers, but I don't really know how the processor, memory, or graphics card affect performance for different things.
If someone's willing to give me a quick lesson on that I'd be appreciative!

Thanks so much for all your help!

daonesteven
Oct 29, 2012, 03:58 PM
if photoshop is somewhat important to you, you shouldn't be getting those specs because you will definitely notice the sluggishness. In fact, for everyday usage, you will still notice the performance hit but tasks like word processing or internet aren't really affected by a sluggish computer so it should be okay for those uses. Anything more and you're limited.

Zaeyde
Oct 29, 2012, 04:03 PM
Ok, so for basic photo editing like cropping, color adjustment, and... that's mostly it, I will be noticing some sluggishness?

davidwarren
Oct 29, 2012, 04:04 PM
The SSD in the Air will make it seem much faster, but I would try and find a 2011 Air with a i5 processor. That would be much better.

Zaeyde
Oct 29, 2012, 04:08 PM
David, I would agree, but money is tight right now, and $600 seemed like a pretty good price. Would you agree? It has a 128 GB SSD.

iDutchman
Oct 29, 2012, 04:10 PM
IF money is tight, pop in an 128GB or 256GB SSD. It will make it feel new.
Replace the topcase with Apple's program if it needs to be. *(5 year warranty, so might be over)

Zaeyde
Oct 29, 2012, 04:36 PM
Dutchman, do you mean pop it into my current macbook? I'd love to, but the screen is damaged and the current problem has to do with the battery not being able to be charged and it shutting off when it tries to switch from AC to battery power. Recently it's been cutting off even when plugged in. The shutoffs are getting more and more frequent, so at this point I have no option than to get a new one.

ooans
Oct 30, 2012, 04:14 AM
At this point I would not buy a 2010 MBA which has the Core 2 Duo processor. I have one myself and it can be really slow running Mountain Lion. I can only imagine how slow (if supported at all) will the next operating system version be.

One could say: why does one need the newest Mac OS?

Probably the next version of OSX will have something that further integrates your iOS device and mac(s) together.

iDutchman
Oct 30, 2012, 05:02 AM
Dutchman, do you mean pop it into my current macbook? I'd love to, but the screen is damaged and the current problem has to do with the battery not being able to be charged and it shutting off when it tries to switch from AC to battery power. Recently it's been cutting off even when plugged in. The shutoffs are getting more and more frequent, so at this point I have no option than to get a new one.

What exactly is damaged on the screen? The battery issue is most likely just fixed with an battery replacement.

I have saved dozens of MacBooks from the trashcan this way. New top case (mostly free), battery (+/- 100 EU), SSD (100 eu), more RAM. Done.

Sold them to many people and they looked and performed like new. They are still happily used. ;)

Just open it up, dust it out and fix a new battery. You;ll be amazed.

These little buggers don't die. I have yet to see one of the white/black MacBooks die 100% by itself and not because of anything else. And I've seen quite a few ;)

Zaeyde
Oct 30, 2012, 12:20 PM
The screen is cracked, and the cracks are bleeding. There's no apple stores within 100 miles of me and I don't have a car.
I bought a new battery, that's not the issue. The issue is in whatever switches from AC to battery- sometimes it doesn't switch right and the power is killed.

Trust me, not just a battery problem- when they replaced the logic board they told me about the other issue but due to time and me being out of the country apple care expired.

iDutchman
Oct 30, 2012, 01:56 PM
The screen is cracked, and the cracks are bleeding. There's no apple stores within 100 miles of me and I don't have a car.
I bought a new battery, that's not the issue. The issue is in whatever switches from AC to battery- sometimes it doesn't switch right and the power is killed.

Trust me, not just a battery problem- when they replaced the logic board they told me about the other issue but due to time and me being out of the country apple care expired.

If you ship it to Europe I'd be a good donation home :cool:. I'll pay for shipping ;)

Hmm, then I don't know how to help you otherwise than telling you a new computer would be wise..

Although, I would advice looking into 2011 Airs due to the better processor (not graphics) (all was it only for the backlight keyboard).

Mrbobb
Oct 30, 2012, 02:07 PM
When u are this tight on $, u have to go back to basic. No lobster, no eating out, no starbucks.

I see a nice Toshiba, Asus, Samsung in your future. Fully functional for ur daily chores.

Serious.

orangezorki
Oct 30, 2012, 02:41 PM
When u are this tight on $, u have to go back to basic. No lobster, no eating out, no starbucks.

I see a nice Toshiba, Asus, Samsung in your future. Fully functional for ur daily chores.

Serious.

Heaven forfend! - Though this is a valid point. I really appreciate the extra value in quality, usability and performance that comes with the complete package of a Mac, and while I far from rolling in money, I prioritise having a current-ish Mac over other purchases or holidays. Then again, I don't have a wife or kids to fund (and I'd be happy to take the sacrifice if so blessed in the future).

If you don't mind using windows (and as much as I hate to say it, it's perfectly usable, though Windows 8 definitely has a learning curve), you can get a perfectly decent laptop for very little money. After all, any new computer can browse the net and do basic office duties easily. Don't go into debt for what is admittedly a very nice luxury. If anyone thinks less of you for it, they're probably not worth knowing. A case in point - a senior colleague of mine (we're surgeons in training) drives a faded old (10yrs+) Toyota Corolla. Do I think less of him for driving an older car than mine? Absolutely not! I care that he is very experienced, knowledgable and skilled in what he does, and is also kind and supportive to his juniors.

If a bit more money can be found easily, though, I would recommend that you skip the 2010 11" MBA and get at least a 2011 with 4Gb of ram - that will last far longer for a small amount extra, and the backlit keyboard is very useful.

David

Mrbobb
Oct 30, 2012, 03:25 PM
Windows 8 definitely has a learning curve

Win8 is primarily for ppl with touch screens.

Win7 is a perfectly fine, polished OS, in *some* ways <gasp!> better than OSX, IMHO.

TomCat
Oct 30, 2012, 07:08 PM
Ok, so for basic photo editing like cropping, color adjustment, and... that's mostly it, I will be noticing some sluggishness?You will. But that may be the price you have to pay, because it is becoming obvious that you cant afford to get a Mac with an i5 and 4GB (what you need to overcome that sluggishness -- the i5 runs rings around a core 2 duo, and PS needs RAM).

IMHO, that is still a better way to go than to go with some lowball Windows 7 platform. W7 is OK, but for $600 I would go with the 2010 Air. Don't take it above Snow Leopard and you will be OK. Run PS by itself to keep the VM low. You are actually better off with an older version of PS or PS Elements because a newer CS suite would eat more RAM.

Face it. A 1998 Taurus will not perform like a 2012 328i, and you are on a Taurus budget here. When you eventually do have the resources, then a new Mac will just seem that much better to you. You'll get there, but the 2010 Air is about where your budget hits today.

cedwhatev
Oct 30, 2012, 10:47 PM
My 2007 macbook is failing hard. I don't have a lot of money, so I am buying an 11" air for $600.

My main concern is I'm going to notice a performance hit because all the numbers I see are lower. But I'm a little dumb with how speed works with these things, so I was wondering if someone could tell me if you think I'm really going to notice much. I mainly use my computer for internet, word processing, and photoshop.

Here's the specs:

Macbook:
Memory: 4G RAM 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Graphics: GMA X3100

Air (Late 2010)
Memory: 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Processor: 1.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Graphics: NVIDA GeForce 320M 256 MB

I know some things about computers, but I don't really know how the processor, memory, or graphics card affect performance for different things.
If someone's willing to give me a quick lesson on that I'd be appreciative!

Thanks so much for all your help!

I would go for the 4GB/128SSD at least.. 2010 models seem to go for the same price as the 2GB/64SSD, so I'd be going that route.. :cool: