PDA

View Full Version : Turn off Cinema display

mknabster
Oct 29, 2012, 10:01 PM
I'm looking to get an ADC cinema display to go with my file server which is a G5, and since i'm getting it for a really good price, $10, i'm pretty happy because i have always wanted one. Anyways, i was wondering if there is a way to run off the display without turning off or putting the computer to sleep. My friend has one with his, and the power button, or touch button, on the display puts it to sleep. Since mine is a server, i don't want that to happen, i just want to be able to turn the display on and off as needed while leaving the machine on. Is this possible? Thanks

Intell
Oct 29, 2012, 10:06 PM
Sure, use the energy saver pref pane to tell it to go to sleep within a minute.

mknabster
Oct 29, 2012, 10:09 PM
Oh ok, so there's no way to physically turn off the monitor then? That's not too big a deal to me, i can do it via energy saver. Thanks

Intell
Oct 29, 2012, 10:19 PM
Not without unplugging it. I wouldn't recommend that. ADC screens don't like to be hotplugged.

iDutchman
Oct 30, 2012, 04:13 AM
The ACD will connect via a USB to make the screen itself interact with your G5. For example, when this cable is also plugged in, the screen will respond to the higher brightness buttons on the keyboard.

I think, that when you leave this cable out, you have to manually decrease/increase brightness with the touch sensitive buttons on the side. But also, you can just turn of the screen without interfering with the computer.

At least that's how I see some relative doing it. (2010 Mac Mini + 23" ACD)

wobegong
Oct 30, 2012, 05:10 AM
Sure - there's a power button on the side, this will just switch off the display but not the G5 just like a regular screen/monitor.

Intell
Oct 30, 2012, 12:22 PM
The ACD will connect via a USB to make the screen itself interact with your G5. For example, when this cable is also plugged in, the screen will respond to the higher brightness buttons on the keyboard.

I think, that when you leave this cable out, you have to manually decrease/increase brightness with the touch sensitive buttons on the side. But also, you can just turn of the screen without interfering with the computer.

At least that's how I see some relative doing it. (2010 Mac Mini + 23" ACD)

ADC is not ACD

Sure - there's a power button on the side, this will just switch off the display but not the G5 just like a regular screen/monitor.

This is about the clear acrylic Apple Desktop Connection displays that one have connection to the machine. Not the aluminum screens.

iDutchman
Oct 30, 2012, 01:59 PM
ADC is not ACD

This is about the clear acrylic Apple Desktop Connection displays that one have connection to the machine. Not the aluminum screens.

Oh dear. Got that messed up. Ignore my stupidity.