PDA

View Full Version : Nexus 4 soon, thoughts current/prospective iPhone users?

thadoggfather
Oct 29, 2012, 11:18 PM
I have an iPhone 5 32GB and I love it and have no plans to deviate from it I hope for at least 2 years, but I gotta say if LTE weren't in my area or country and I couldn't be bound to a contract or pay a ton for the unlocked, contract free price, this would be a serious alternative:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/29/google-nexus-4-hands-on/ <-- hands on
bit.ly/V0kzM7 <-- link to Google Play site

Only in 8 or 16GB though but $299 and $349 are the unlocked prices for HSPA models.

LG also seems eh as a manufacturer but I guess they just used the same 8MP Sony cam that's been in 4S/5/GS3/Optimus G/making its way everywhere essentially, a quadcore S4 snapdragon is dropped in there I think that has the radio in it too as the SoC, 4.7" 1280x768 16:10 IPS screen that should be nice as long as it isn't as washed out as the Nexus 7 IPS display, wireless charging is a neat bonus but not a big deal imo.

Thoughts?

I did try a Galaxy Nexus for a little while and liked it but ultimately went back to iPhone for iOS and such. I think the Nexus 4 offers a much more competitive package overall, however.

fins831
Oct 29, 2012, 11:20 PM
No LTE, no comparison.

I was disappointed with the update honestly, it was a minor bump.

thadoggfather
Oct 29, 2012, 11:23 PM
I also think they missed the mark on lack of SD card expansion slot.

Not including expandable storage is one thing, but offering limited and small amount of internal storage options (16GB is the max?) sort of screws anyone who needs it and wants to go Pure Google. Plus, it'd be another nice selling point away from Apple products.

And 1080p video recording on 8GB? Have fun :D

Steering consumers away from contracts while having fresh hardware at a decent price is something I approve of, even if I'm not in the market for that particular product.

bwhli
Oct 29, 2012, 11:47 PM
No LTE, no comparison.

Agreed, the lack of LTE is disappointing.

AbyssImpact
Oct 30, 2012, 12:04 AM
Wow LG is still alive?

chocoyo00
Oct 30, 2012, 12:05 AM
Will be returning my Iphone 5 before the 30 day period and ordering a Nexus 4. IMO LTE only becomes a player if you constantly stream videos, HSPA+ is fast enough in Los Angeles for anything else, plus no contract is a no brainer for me. Iphone 5 has been good though :)

TheMacBookPro
Oct 30, 2012, 12:12 AM
Waiting for the LTE model... hopefully in a few months?

$300 for a unlocked top end smartphone is really great though.

aztooh
Oct 30, 2012, 12:16 AM
I also think they missed the mark on lack of SD card expansion slot.

Not including expandable storage is one thing, but offering limited and small amount of internal storage options (16GB is the max?) sort of screws anyone who needs it and wants to go Pure Google. Plus, it'd be another nice selling point away from Apple products.

And 1080p video recording on 8GB? Have fun :D

Steering consumers away from contracts while having fresh hardware at a decent price is something I approve of, even if I'm not in the market for that particular product.

Isn't the 'Nexus' line promoted as a Dev phone, not really targeted to the average consumer?

No LTE is kind of baffling...but, for it's purposes, there's no need for crazy amounts of internal storage.

wordoflife
Oct 30, 2012, 12:26 AM
This is good. I like it.

As for not having LTE, its meant to be a cheap and accessible device. With all the different LTE standards, it would be hard to cover all the bases on an unlocked device.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3569688/why-nexus-4-does-not-have-4g-lte

alohamade
Oct 30, 2012, 01:02 AM
I'm buying one, actually. Fact is, I still can't upgrade from my iPhone 4S to a 5, iPhone 5 still hasn't hit $300 and below prices on eBay (The Nexus 4 is $299), and I tried to switch into Android with the Motorola Atrix a few years ago but made a horrible decision. Plus, I've always wanted a Nexus phone. It's running on Micro SIM which is perfect, too.

...But there is no worry! This phone will be a holdover until the presumptive iPhone 5S. I'm not one to go on these forums and be like "ALRIGHT THE NEXUS 4 IS BETTER SEE YOU ALL LATER" like I see so much.

Cody21
Oct 30, 2012, 01:07 AM
I like the Nexus 4 overall. I would consider buying just to use as a backup device or to use from time to time. Although, with the lack of LTE it's gonna be a tough decision. I've gotten use to these 58mbps download speeds on LTE. And it wouldn't replace my iPhone 5.

emma777
Oct 30, 2012, 02:35 AM
Best phone of the year with the comparison in PRICE !! ;)

wedouglas
Oct 30, 2012, 02:41 AM
Makes you wonder what you're paying for with respect to other manufacturers. Good price for what is probably one of the best unlocked phones you can get.

nfl46
Oct 30, 2012, 03:09 AM
Nexus devices are the only Android devices I'll be willing to buy. Personally, if I wasn't locked into contract with my iPhone 5, I would get a N4. I loved my GNex. LTE is not a deal breaker for me. We survived with the iPhone 4S. Heck, I actually turn LTE off on my iPhone 5.

Debating on getting the N10 over the iPad Mini.

waa1futs
Oct 30, 2012, 03:44 AM
Only $299 contract free? :eek: Wow...

HD IPS display
8mp camera
S4 Pro quad core
2GB Ram
Pure android

Guess I'm going Android it seems :p

Beeplance
Oct 30, 2012, 03:52 AM
Who cares about no LTE? 5-10 Mbps download speeds are already more than enough to do daily things on the phone like web browsing or download apps, streaming vids too.

For that price point, the specs are pretty impressive. What's more, given that its a nexus & LG device, I trust the quality of the phone.

Skika
Oct 30, 2012, 05:05 AM
I dont care for it. Would never leave my iPhone 5 for this.

Mark316
Oct 30, 2012, 05:48 AM
Considering you can buy two for the price of one iPhone, and it comes with excellent specs, gorilla glass front and back this phone is a steal. The no LTE sucks but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker given its price point.

applebro
Oct 30, 2012, 07:30 AM
LG? Lol no thanks. Would consider if it were Samsung.

Blorzoga
Oct 30, 2012, 07:38 AM
Isn't there a different section of the forum for non-iOS related discussions?

boomhower
Oct 30, 2012, 07:38 AM
No LTE makes it a non-starter. How they can do that at this point in time is beyond me. That said, I expect we will see a Verizon LTE model at some point.

KenAFSPC
Oct 30, 2012, 07:41 AM
No interest here whatsoever. Already upgraded from a Nexus and there is no way I would go back.

sviato
Oct 30, 2012, 07:47 AM
Rather buy an LG fridge.

Who cares about no LTE? 5-10 Mbps download speeds are already more than enough to do daily things on the phone like web browsing or download apps, streaming vids too.

For that price point, the specs are pretty impressive. What's more, given that its a nexus & LG device, I trust the quality of the phone.

Considering 3G speed in the states are like 1.5Mb download, don't really wants to go back to that from LTE.

thadoggfather
Oct 30, 2012, 09:55 AM
The more I think about it the more I find this to be an excellent deal

PDFierro
Oct 30, 2012, 10:02 AM
Will be returning my Iphone 5 before the 30 day period and ordering a Nexus 4. IMO LTE only becomes a player if you constantly stream videos, HSPA+ is fast enough in Los Angeles for anything else, plus no contract is a no brainer for me. Iphone 5 has been good though :)

What network are you on? I know HSPA+ is fast, so I'm not worried about that or the lack of LTE. But I'm moving to Los Angeles soon, and I'm kind of hesitant to leave Verizon right now because of how good the coverage is.

I think the Nexus 4 looks great. I'm only hesitant to get an iPhone 5 because I need transit directions.

RotaryP7
Oct 30, 2012, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't change from a 4S. I work in an environment where all I sell is Androids. My store will receive the Nexus 4. I'll check it out when we receive the shipment.

But if I didn't have an iPhone and Apple never made a phone; I'd go for the Nexus 4. It doesn't have LTE but TMO's version gives you up to 42 megs vs Google's version at 21 megs. It may only come with 8/16GB storage but honestly, I have a 16GB 4S and that's enough. There's always dropbox which gives you an additional 5GB for free.

I want to see how this wireless charging pod works. It comes with the newest Android OS, 4.2. And since it's a Google phone, it will receive the fastest updates. What's not to like? (If you're an Android person). Only thing I'm a little uncertain about is LG. We'll see though.

PDFierro
Oct 30, 2012, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't change from a 4S. I work in an environment where all I sell is Androids. My store will receive the Nexus 4. I'll check it out when we receive the shipment.

But if I didn't have an iPhone and Apple never made a phone; I'd go for the Nexus 4. It doesn't have LTE but TMO's version gives you up to 42 megs vs Google's version at 21 megs. It may only come with 8/16GB storage but honestly, I have a 16GB 4S and that's enough. There's always dropbox which gives you an additional 5GB for free.

I want to see how this wireless charging pod works. It comes with the newest Android OS, 4.2. And since it's a Google phone, it will receive the fastest updates. What's not to like? (If you're an Android person). Only thing I'm a little uncertain about is LG. We'll see though.

Google's version will also give you 42 megs, they just haven't updated the specs. T-Mobile confirmed this.

wedouglas
Oct 30, 2012, 10:32 AM
No LTE makes it a non-starter. How they can do that at this point in time is beyond me. That said, I expect we will see a Verizon LTE model at some point.

LTE really doesn't matter. Most of the world doesn't even have LTE.

Also, average US home internet speed is like 7 Mbps. I've yet to hear of people complaining about slow internet speeds at home, so I find it hard to believe that HSPA+ would be much of a downer for anyone.

Outside of downloading large files, I don't see it being that much better. Maybe an app downloads a little quicker, but hardly enough to make a difference. So maybe you wait a couple more minutes. Most things that would really benefit from such high speeds require more data than the average person even has.

soco
Oct 30, 2012, 10:39 AM
No LTE

This. Such an unfortunate series of events that lead to this key feature going missing. They should have figured this out or not released.

thadoggfather
Oct 30, 2012, 10:49 AM
I mean I see it both ways:

4S gets released, Android users complain that it doesn't have LTE or memory expansion whereas they do.

Nexus 4 gets released, and suddenly LTE is moot. But wasn't this the big thrill of GS3?

I think US broadband speeds are by in large despicable, but Google Fiber looks fantastic if only that were in my market.

But having LTE covered makes it hard to go back to HSPA on AT&T for me. It's uber congested and bogged down, unlike what I imagine HSPA in Europe to be: really decent speeds and for every day usage, like a bogged down LTE network (which still has good speeds).

Broadband needs to be cheaper and faster, and LTE has to be more blanketed across the US. But it will be, with its inclusion in iPhone 5 and future iPhones.

I do see how LTE would have presented difficulties in production however. For the iPhone 5, they had to release 3 models due to LTE market fragmentation: International LTE compatible, Verizon compatible that has European LTE bands, and AT&T/North America LTE. All of which, however, have internationally compatible HSPA bands afaik.

I'd expect by iPhone 5S, just like 4S, they will have magically solidified the bands into one model and shrink the amount of SKU's floating around. Really moot for me though, if I ever go back overseas any time soon, I'd be happy with Europe's HSPA and cheaper prepaid on my AT&T unlocked 5.

To keep it all into perspective though, the specs are beastly despite not having LTE for $300/350.

mobutt
Oct 30, 2012, 11:00 AM
Thinking about buying it when I have se extra cash laying around for the hell of it. It'll make an excellent back up phone.

surjavarman
Oct 30, 2012, 11:09 AM
cheap flimsy plastic toy phone, made by LG, 9.1mm thick...

I think I'll pass.

Dmunjal
Oct 30, 2012, 11:32 AM
cheap flimsy plastic toy phone, made by LG, 9.1mm thick...

I think I'll pass.

I think it's Gorilla Glass 2 on both sides, not plastic at all.

surjavarman
Oct 30, 2012, 11:33 AM
I think it's Gorilla Glass 2 on both sides, not plastic at all.

Well I looked at the pictures on engadget and the back looks exactly like plastic. I think they got it wrong cause thats not how glass looks like

as0016
Oct 30, 2012, 11:42 AM
its gorilla glass 2 on both sides, watch the video with google's engineers and design team, they confirm.

vikingjunior
Oct 30, 2012, 11:50 AM
It's nice until you start downloading buggy apps.

boomhower
Oct 30, 2012, 12:35 PM
LTE really doesn't matter. Most of the world doesn't even have LTE.

Also, average US home internet speed is like 7 Mbps. I've yet to hear of people complaining about slow internet speeds at home, so I find it hard to believe that HSPA+ would be much of a downer for anyone.

Outside of downloading large files, I don't see it being that much better. Maybe an app downloads a little quicker, but hardly enough to make a difference. So maybe you wait a couple more minutes. Most things that would really benefit from such high speeds require more data than the average person even has.

I think your going to find yourself in the great minority on that one.

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 01:24 PM
For those commenting on the lack of LTE, the trade off is:

15.3 hours of talk time and 330 hours of standby time.

To compare, iPhone rates at 8 hours talk, 225 hours standby.

The differences between HSPA+ and LTE are marginal. We're talking about differences of seconds when loading webpages. I do hope Google can forge better relations with the carriers though to offer LTE versions for those who want it.

----------

The iPhone 4S unlocked was at $649 and it didn't offer LTE either. You have to remember, this is an unlocked off contract phone for $349 with future specs. Most, if not all, unlocked phones don't have LTE either. And nothing comes close to the specs offered for that price. The value is tremendous here.

Can't defend the lack of storage size options, though. That's a bad move by Google.

----------

The Verge's hands on and visit to the Google building gives a much better and more in depth look at the Nexus line and the software: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66-4uMQqerA&feature=youtu.be

Jelly Bean 4.2 is amazing.

I think the shake up at Apple regarding Scott Forestall is a subtle admittance iOS needs new direction.

Goratrix
Oct 30, 2012, 01:26 PM
I think your going to find yourself in the great minority on that one.

Not worldwide, he won't.

LTE is interesting for some people in the US, but the rest of the world does not care at this point. There are too many variants of LTE and too little adoption, and in Europe, you get HSPA+ in most countries anyway. LTE is a concern of a tiny tiny minority of users. Google made the right decision here to make ONE phone which works in as many countries as possible instead of creating a cluttered mess of phones with different radios and frequencies and less battery life.

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 01:27 PM
Some of the more noteworthy details:

• Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor with 1.5GHz Quad-Core Krait CPUs
• Display: 4.7-inch WXGA True HD IPS Plus (1280 x 768 pixels)
• RAM: 2GB
• Battery: 2,100mAh Li-Polymer (embedded) / Talk time: 15.3 hours / Standby: 390 hours
• Other: Wireless charging, NFC
• $299 (8GB) / $349 (16GB) unlocked.

New features:
Photo Steer Panaroma mode, futuristic camera UI, widgets in the lock screen, Quick Settings pull down, Swipe-like gesture base typing in the default keyboard... and more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66-4uMQqerA&feature=youtu.be

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/nexus-4-vs-iphone-5.jpeg

I'd like to add:

15.3 hours talk time / 330 standby time _vs_ 8 hours talk time / 225 standby

It might also be worth pointing out that on the iPhone side, the price should really start at $649. -_-

-----------

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/83fded76c95b28dc8dd7994f3fe6603f_1349955404.jpeg

Front of the Nexus 4 is beautiful. The back... love or hate. I can see both sides of the argument. I started out liking it, then hating it, now I'm liking it again because 1) it's an homage to the first Nexus live wallpaper, and 2) all the hands-on videos show that the back design is very subtle (phew).

The iPhone 5 still looks weird to me. Like it's more a chocolate bar than a phone. The back I think is love or hate too like the Nexus 4. I will say though that the diamond cut band around the iPhone 5 is absolutely gorgeous, especially the white one. The chrome around the Nexus 4 is unfortunate.

DJ.Nickk
Oct 30, 2012, 01:28 PM
No LTE is a huge deal breaker for me!

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 01:31 PM

Again, it's unlocked. But Google should try to definitely release LTE versions to specific carriers too.

michaeljohn
Oct 30, 2012, 01:42 PM

Funny how almost every iPhone user in here has said this when the iphone just barely got LTE itself. In the 4 and 4s LTE was something iPhone users claimed wasnt important, a battery drain and not needed. Now it seems they cant live without it :p

----------

This. Such an unfortunate series of events that lead to this key feature going missing. They should have figured this out or not released.

The same could be said for the iPhone 4 and 4s which didnt have LTE either. You just got LTE a month ago, stop acting like its a must have.

AR999
Oct 30, 2012, 01:46 PM
Well I looked at the pictures on engadget and the back looks exactly like plastic. I think they got it wrong cause thats not how glass looks like

Jesus Christ... :rolleyes:

xak
Oct 30, 2012, 01:47 PM
Would have considered it...

until I saw no LTE.

How do they expect to compete without LTE?

AR999
Oct 30, 2012, 01:49 PM

until I saw no LTE.

The price, it's vastly more affordable than the iPhone, the bang for buck ratio is much better IMO.

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 01:50 PM

until I saw no LTE.

It's an unlocked phone. The iPhone 4/4S unlocked had no LTE either. Most unlocked phones don't have LTE. The difference is this one is affordable with great specs. You'll never find anything at this price range that offers these specs.

Carrier specific versions may come with LTE down the line.

michaeljohn
Oct 30, 2012, 01:50 PM

until I saw no LTE.

How did the iphone 4 and 4s compete without LTE? Again, the iphone JUST got LTE a month ago but iPhone fans swear its like a must have and they have had it for years. Just stop already.

3bs
Oct 30, 2012, 01:53 PM

A lot of countries don't have LTE yet and sorry to to say this but the US isn't the only country in the world :p

TG1
Oct 30, 2012, 01:54 PM
No CDMA either, correct? So Verizon and Sprint customers are left out in the cold for now it seems?

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 02:02 PM
No CDMA either, correct? So Verizon and Sprint customers are left out in the cold for now it seems?

Yup. After the debacle that is the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, Google doesn't want to deal with carriers.

This is a mistake, however, I feel. They will have to eventually. The Nexus line seems to finally be coming into its own. Google still needs to forge better relationships with carriers to get LTE specific versions out there, and to get CDMA versions out there.

The way Google sees it now, if they can't control their software updates, what's the point of giving a carrier a Nexus phone? Verizon is more to blame than Google for the debacle of updates with the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Google will have to find a way. At this point in time, they just don't have the sort of clout Apple does.

The Verge writes up a great article about what happened: http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3569688/why-nexus-4-does-not-have-4g-lte/in/3335719

The Galaxy Nexus was announced last year with a promised LTE version on Verizon, but the carrier held back releasing the phone for months to promote its own Droid RAZR instead. Google eventually grew tired of waiting and sent unlocked HSPA+ devices to reviewers. And software updates for Nexus phones sold through carriers have been problematic as well: it took the Verizon three full months to disseminate the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update to its Galaxy Nexus, slightly longer than Sprint. That's actually better than it used to be with carrier-partnered Nexus devices, but still much longer what Google can achieve without carrier intervention — and far too long in a marketplace where Apple has set a standard for simultaneous worldwide software distribution across multiple carriers.

kenypowa
Oct 30, 2012, 02:06 PM
Funny how almost every iPhone user in here has said this when the iphone just barely got LTE itself. In the 4 and 4s LTE was something iPhone users claimed wasnt important, a battery drain and not needed. Now it seems they cant live without it :p

----------

The same could be said for the iPhone 4 and 4s which didnt have LTE either. You just got LTE a month ago, stop acting like its a must have.

Typical Apple fanboys. Just look at the Scott Forstall thread. Before he was fired, people loved him; suddenly he became the scapegoat for all of Apple's missteps.

Of course, other examples include 10 inch is the perfect size for tablet, and 3.5 inch is perfect for a phone; their brains suddenly change when Apple release new products.:)

AznTakumi
Oct 30, 2012, 02:10 PM
Anyone know if I could use this phone on AT&T without a data plan?

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 02:11 PM
HSPA+ is no slouch. We're talking about differences of seconds in loading webpages.

What you get in exchange for LTE? 15+ hours talk time, 330 hours standby time (versus iPhone's 8 hours talk, 225 hours standby).

A few seconds in exchange for nearly double the battery time of the iPhone? Worth it.

----------

Anyone know if I could use this phone on AT&T without a data plan?

I could be mistaken, but I believe so, yes. It's unlocked. You can do whatever you want with the phone. :)

xak
Oct 30, 2012, 02:18 PM
How did the iphone 4 and 4s compete without LTE? Again, the iphone JUST got LTE a month ago but iPhone fans swear its like a must have and they have had it for years. Just stop already.

Huh? I seriously don't get this. LTE is the latest tech and this is the latest phone. The iPhone 4/4S competed without LTE because LTE wasn't very available - it is now. Would you buy a computer with a 56k modem after broadband was available in your area?

LTE is the latest cellular data technology, it is the fastest. Google's phone is brand new and is coming out after LTE has already been in plenty of other phones. I mean, people were complaining the iP4S didn't have LTE and that the iP5 was just "playing catch-up" - why is Google lagging behind?

Isn't this Google's flagship phone, i.e. their very best? It should include the very best cellular data technology.

LTE is the deal breaker for many, especially if they are looking to buy a new phone they probably want new cellular data technology.

----------

HSPA+ is no slouch. We're talking about differences of seconds in loading webpages.

I just ran a speed test on my iPhone 5.

LTE: 51.84 Mbps down and 13.79 Mbps up, ping 48ms
HSPA+ ("4G"): 5.60 Mbps down and 0.98 Mbps up, ping 79ms

TEN times the download speed and upload speed is no small difference. This is an order of magnitude greater than HSPA+, sir.

A "difference of seconds," ha. The timescale of the broadband speeds are always measured in seconds, so yes the fact that I can download what would take 10 seconds in only a single second is a significant difference. Those seconds add up and become minutes on HSPA+, but remain measured in seconds on LTE.

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 02:20 PM
LTE is the deal breaker for many, especially if they are looking to buy a new phone they probably want new cellular data technology.

Google does need to try to get LTE and carrier specific versions out there eventually. It'll only be better for them and the consumers.

----------

I just ran a speed test on my iPhone 5.

LTE: 51.84 Mbps down and 13.79 Mbps up, ping 48ms
HSPA+ ("4G"): 5.60 Mbps down and 0.98 Mbps up, ping 79ms

TEN times the download speed and upload speed is no small difference. This is an order of magnitude greater than HSPA+, sir.

A "difference of seconds," ha. The timescale of the broadband speeds are always measured in seconds, so yes the fact that I can download what would take 10 seconds in only a single second is a significant difference. Those seconds add up and become minutes on HSPA+, but remain measured in seconds on LTE.

All true. I guess I never got those speeds on LTE. Download speed tests are dandy, but in real world usages, I've yet to have a website require anywhere near 10 seconds to load on HSPA+.

lshirase
Oct 30, 2012, 02:22 PM
Had high hopes for the NX4, but lack of storage and LTE is a killer.

LTE:

For those saying the difference between HSPA+ and LTE is only a few seconds....lolol. The difference is immense. Especially when downloading, streaming HD videos, tethering, etc. If you have LTE in your area, don't skip on it. It's definitely a feature worth having on your NEW phone.

Storage:

16GB max? this is a huge problem. Not everyone has unlimited data. Furthermore, google music is a joke. Poor UI, constant crashes, slow, etc. Oh yeah, it also kills the battery because its a streaming service. That right there cancels out the "amazing" battery life of the NX4. I'm glad i picked up the 32GB iP5. It's nice having all my music/videos/etc on me at all times.

I really wanted to give android another shot (RIP SGS2). I have heard nothing but positive things regarding jelly bean. The hardware just isn't there. Maybe next year :)

xak
Oct 30, 2012, 02:23 PM
All true. I guess I never got those speeds on LTE.

That probably has a lot to do with it. If you don't live an LTE area, why buy an LTE phone? If you don't even get good, reliable LTE speeds on your carrier or in your area, why bother?

But for me, there is no going back from LTE and thus I cannot consider Google's Nexus, even though I'd like to.

Seriously, I get twice the download speeds of my HOME CABLE INTERNET! That is amazing.

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 02:27 PM
That probably has a lot to do with it. If you don't live an LTE area, why buy an LTE phone? If you don't even get good, reliable LTE speeds on your carrier or in your area, why bother?

But for me, there is no going back from LTE and thus I cannot consider Google's Nexus, even though I'd like to.

Seriously, I get twice the download speeds of my HOME CABLE INTERNET! That is amazing.

All valid.

But when it takes a few seconds anyway to completely load webpages, the differences in real world usages are not that dramatic.

It's not like webpages take 10+ seconds to load on HSPA+. They literally take seconds, even content heavy websites like the Verge. It just took all but 5 seconds to load on my Galaxy Nexus running HSPA+. LTE will get me there faster, no contention, but faster by a few seconds, like I originally said.

In terms of download speed tests, then the math is different and far bigger of a difference, sure.

And this is without factoring the benefits of trading in LTE. You worry less about caps and you get nearly double the battery life of the iPhone. I'm not trying to convince you or anything, just saying HSPA+ versus LTE may not be deal breakers.

matttye
Oct 30, 2012, 02:29 PM
Google needs to work on its' ecosystem. Android already has a lot more features than iOS; adding more won't bring me back.

When the Android ecosystem is as good as or better than iOS, I'll go back in a heartbeat!

Dmunjal
Oct 30, 2012, 02:30 PM
In the US, no LTE is a big issue. But I think Google is really going after the emerging markets where this is not a lot LTE yet and they don't have subsidized plans. This will be a big winner there.

Goratrix
Oct 30, 2012, 02:32 PM
Isn't this Google's flagship phone, i.e. their very best?

No, it isn't. It's their ONLY phone.

I guess you are thinking about other Android phones, but those are not made by Google. And there will be plenty of those with LTE support for those who desperately need it. The Nexus line was never meant to be the ultimate high-end, and none of the previous Nexuses was. It's a phone designed to be as universal and hassle-free as possible, working in most countries worldwide. LTE support, which requires heavy carrier involvement, goes against this design philosophy.

Mr Hill
Oct 30, 2012, 02:33 PM
The Tmobile version supports DC-HSPA (hspa+ 42). Real world speeds around 20+ Mbps down. Pretty comparable to some LTE speeds.

surjavarman
Oct 30, 2012, 02:33 PM
The phone is primarily made out of plastic. only the front and that pathetic backplate is made from glass (which I actually don't believe) but the rest of is plastic.

Not only that there are ugly lines all over the phone and everything isn't fused seamlessly together. That detracts immensely from the user experience and premium feel of the phone. It will suffer from all kinds of problem from structural durability to dust building up anywhere there are seams. The iphone still reigns supreme upon further inspection

lshirase
Oct 30, 2012, 02:36 PM
If only google manufactured and designed their own phone. I would love to have a top-of-the-line flagship Nexus device with 100% google software and hardware.

adztaylor
Oct 30, 2012, 02:40 PM
The phone is primarily made out of plastic. only the front and that pathetic backplate is made from glass (which I actually don't believe) but the rest of is plastic.

Not only that there are ugly lines all over the phone and everything isn't fused seamlessly together. That detracts immensely from the user experience and premium feel of the phone. It will suffer from all kinds of problem from structural durability to dust building up anywhere there are seams. The iphone still reigns supreme upon further inspection

Ahh so you've had a hands on with the device? :rolleyes:

Dmunjal
Oct 30, 2012, 02:45 PM
Ahh so you've had a hands on with the device? :rolleyes:

I still can't get over his view that a phone that is almost all glass on the outside (which he doesn't believe) is "primarily" plastic!

I got my laugh for today. Thanks.

thadoggfather
Oct 30, 2012, 02:45 PM
Wow LG is still alive?

They might even be the ones that made your particular iPhone 5 screen (or Japan Display/Sharp) :D

Not much about this is LG besides the screen (which should be good I'd imagine) and exterior casing, which was "designed by Google."

The SoC is made by Qualcomm, the camera is the same Sony showing up on all the latest smartphones 4S onward and GS3 onward.

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 02:49 PM
This isn't just about the phone too... Some of the new features of 4.2 are incredible. Swipe-like typing is now standard, Photo Steer panaroma, multiple user accounts (for tablets), quick settings menus, widgets on the lock screen... really exciting stuff.

And I think the shake up at Apple with Scott Forestall is a quiet admission that Apple needs to begin steering iOS in new directions. The slow update game they're playing is allowing the competition to surpass and distance them.

romeo0119
Oct 30, 2012, 03:26 PM
Probably gonna get this as my back up, as soon as I pull the trigger to upgrade to the iPhone 5, I will sell my current 4s to get this one, $349 is too damn good off contract not to get it. Now just the matter of nano sim and microsim, such a hassle when switching device back n forth

ercsliberty
Oct 30, 2012, 03:49 PM
google phones are nice, but not as reliable as the iphone. ive tried

thadoggfather
Oct 30, 2012, 04:31 PM
google phones are nice, but not as reliable as the iphone. ive tried

I would agree with this.

And I find a jailbroken iOS device to be the best.

Stock, still really nice and functional and stable, but I want my extra bells and whistles already.

michaeljohn
Oct 30, 2012, 05:31 PM
Huh? I seriously don't get this. LTE is the latest tech and this is the latest phone. The iPhone 4/4S competed without LTE because LTE wasn't very available - it is now.

LTE has been available nearly 2 years. The 4 and for sure 4s could have had it. Yet iPhone fans swore up and down it was not needed. Now all of the sudden it is? :rolleyes:

sotorious
Oct 30, 2012, 05:50 PM
Jyess almost bought the note 2, glad i waited for the specs and info on this. Gettin the hell out of verizon and back to good ol t-mobile. Cant wait till the 13th, havent been on android since gingerbread, got that sweet tooth again, im coming! im coming!

blairh
Oct 30, 2012, 05:58 PM
I've been using my iPhone 5 and LTE since launch day. Today I was working in an area that had 4G and not LTE. The difference between 4G and LTE is obvious. I like everything about the Nexus 4 except for the lack of LTE. Honestly, I would rather opt for the Optimus G which has LTE over the Nexus 4. Sure, you are getting ICS versus 4.2, but in exchange you also have LTE enabled and the ability to use an SD card up to 64 GB's. Optimus G>Nexus 4 IMO.

Having said that, if I didn't care about LTE and/or really wanted an unlocked smartphone, then the Nexus 4 is the clear choice.

wedouglas
Oct 30, 2012, 06:21 PM
Had high hopes for the NX4, but lack of storage and LTE is a killer.

LTE:

For those saying the difference between HSPA+ and LTE is only a few seconds....lolol. The difference is immense. Especially when downloading, streaming HD videos, tethering, etc. If you have LTE in your area, don't skip on it. It's definitely a feature worth having on your NEW phone.

Storage:

16GB max? this is a huge problem. Not everyone has unlimited data. Furthermore, google music is a joke. Poor UI, constant crashes, slow, etc. Oh yeah, it also kills the battery because its a streaming service. That right there cancels out the "amazing" battery life of the NX4. I'm glad i picked up the 32GB iP5. It's nice having all my music/videos/etc on me at all times.

I really wanted to give android another shot (RIP SGS2). I have heard nothing but positive things regarding jelly bean. The hardware just isn't there. Maybe next year :)

You say LTE is important for streaming HD movies and tethering, but go on to say that 16GB isn't enough because not everyone has an unlimited data plan. That is a bit of a problem, no?

If people don't have enough data to stream, why does it matter if they can stream at 50 Mbps? Same goes for tethering. I probably use many GBs of data per day on my laptop just browsing the web. Why would LTE speeds matter if I don't have the data to support it? It's a fact that most people don't have unlimited data and that most people actually have relatively low amounts of data.

As for the HD streaming, it doesn't make much of a difference. HD movies on iTunes, Netflix, and many other places do not provide you with full bit rate streams. On iTunes I saw an article that said most streams are like 6 Mbps for 1080p and 4 Mbps for 720p. HD just means resolution, not bit rate.

Aaaaaaaaand, the iPhone has a less than 720p screen in which you can't even see pixels, thus why would you even want a 1080p stream?

Aaaaaaaaand, with respect to content, the Nexus 4 can just download torrents directly to an Android phone. You may be able to stream your content fast and download from iTunes faster, but you have to pay for it while for HSPA+ people on a Nexus it's free ;)

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 06:22 PM
From Phone Arena:

"You might recall that this past June, a test done by PC Magazine found that T-Mobile's HSPA+42 pipeline downloaded data faster than Verizon's LTE service in 11 cities. In other cities, like Miami, T-Mobile's HSPA+42 service nearly beat Verizon's 4G LTE speed."

Your mileage may vary, of course. As Tmo user, I'm thrilled. HSPA+ is already pretty awesome on my Galaxy Nexus. It should be even better with the N4.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-Nexus-4-to-roll-with-HSPA42-twice-as-fast-as-expected_id36129

bigred7078
Oct 30, 2012, 07:57 PM

Dude... Just stop talking, you have no clue what you are talking about.

----------

LTE has been available nearly 2 years. The 4 and for sure 4s could have had it. Yet iPhone fans swore up and down it was not needed. Now all of the sudden it is? :rolleyes:

Annnnd the whole time Android fans were claiming the iPhone was falling behind due to the lack of LTE... Now YOU say it isn't important?

Sure sounds like someone trying to turn things around...the same argument over and over gets old.

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 08:02 PM
Annnnd the whole time Android fans were claiming the iPhone was falling behind due to the lack of LTE... Now YOU say it isn't important?

No one is saying LTE is not important.

Just simply pointing out all unlocked devices are sold without LTE (including the iPhone 4/4S). And that the tradeoff for LTE, which is nearly double the iPhone battery life, may be worth it, especially when you factor in the value for such future-specs.

The beauty of Android is the freedom of choice. LTE is still available on Android. No one is saying Android shouldn't have it. I've posted numerous times that while it's great Google's got their ducks in line with the Nexus line, they still have a long way to go in forging important relationships with carriers to release LTE/CDMA versions. That will be good for Google and consumers.

Technarchy
Oct 30, 2012, 08:27 PM

Sure sounds like someone trying to turn things around...the same argument over and over gets old.

More than that, Nexus 4 seems very iPhone 4/4S-ish in many areas.

HSPA+ Only
No removable battery
No SD card slot
No LTE
Glass on front and back
Flush front and rear
Exact same Height
Nearly identical weight

bigred7078
Oct 30, 2012, 08:37 PM
No one is saying LTE is not important.

Just simply pointing out all unlocked devices are sold without LTE (including the iPhone 4/4S). And that the tradeoff for LTE, which is nearly double the iPhone battery life, may be worth it, especially when you factor in the value for such future-specs.

The beauty of Android is the freedom of choice. LTE is still available on Android. No one is saying Android shouldn't have it. I've posted numerous times that while it's great Google's got their ducks in line with the Nexus line, they still have a long way to go in forging important relationships with carriers to release LTE/CDMA versions. That will be good for Google and consumers.

What is that, the 4th or 5th time you have said that same thing today?

Regardless, if you would read the post I quoted you would understand why I made my comments. But it seems you would rather just copy and paste your same soap box over and over again.

----------

More than that, Nexus 4 seems very iPhone 4/4S-ish in many areas.

HSPA+ Only
No removable battery
No SD card slot
No LTE
Glass on front and back
Flush front and rear
Exact same weight
Nearly identical weight

Lol true. At the end of the day though, it will be a very different device. I just can't wait for the hands on reviews/impressions. The verge video was really good, I can't wait to see more from them.

chocoyo00
Oct 30, 2012, 09:02 PM
What network are you on? I know HSPA+ is fast, so I'm not worried about that or the lack of LTE. But I'm moving to Los Angeles soon, and I'm kind of hesitant to leave Verizon right now because of how good the coverage is.

I think the Nexus 4 looks great. I'm only hesitant to get an iPhone 5 because I need transit directions.

I've been on Verizon for about a 2 years now, but I've had AT&T also and coverage has improved in the last 12 months. Every carrier is good on coverage here in LA, except for Sprint, their data speeds suck! :D lol

Technarchy
Oct 30, 2012, 09:10 PM
Lol true. At the end of the day though, it will be a very different device. I just can't wait for the hands on reviews/impressions. The verge video was really good, I can't wait to see more from them.

What I was alluding to is those points were used to hammer the iPhone 4S for being "lacking" and "outdated" and whatever...

Yet now it's all good in the hood because Google is doing it.

Take that same phone and put iOS on it...

"-OMG NO LTE. WTF
-No removable battery sucks, I need to be able to swap batteries and use aftermarket batteries.
-I can't survive with 16gb, I need to used a 128gb card for my music
-Glass on the back is stupid and fragile
-The flat back is not natural in the hand
-It's a brick compared to the GS3
-Why is it so thick when the GS3 is so thin. SAMSUNG FTW!!!"

Mind you, I think Google did a very good job with the Nexus 4. I've always maintained LTE is not critical. It looks like a very all around slick device...but then again I really liked the 4S so the N4 works for me.

dalbir4444
Oct 30, 2012, 09:16 PM
What I was alluding to is those points were used to hammer the iPhone 4S for being "lacking" and "outdated" and whatever...

"-OMG NO LTE. WTF
-No removable battery sucks, I need to be able to swap batteries and use aftermarket batteries.

Mind you, I think Google did a very good job with the Nexus 4. I've always maintained LTE is not critical. It looks like a very all around slick device...but then again I really liked the 4S so the N4 works for me.

People that said those things either had a superiority complex or were trolls who don't actually know much about tech.

That being said, I'm interested in seeing how sturdy the device actually is, given that both the front and back are made of glass.

xak
Oct 30, 2012, 09:22 PM

I said "wasn't very available," as in not widely available for use. It takes a while for a communication standard to become adopted and widely available, and thus widely used. I personally wouldn't have had any use for LTE until the iPhone 5 came out, because AT&T just added LTE to Sacramento right around the time the phone debuted. If AT&T didn't have LTE in Sac right now, I could have been in the market for a Nexus.

Anyways, no one is saying it is necessary. I just kinda figured LTE was basically standard now and am more surprised than anything that it wasn't included.

Technarchy
Oct 30, 2012, 09:24 PM
People that said those things either had a superiority complex or were trolls who don't actually know much about tech.

That being said, I'm interested in seeing how sturdy the device actually is, given that both the front and back are made of glass.

I'm inclined to believe two years later, that Google farmed some stronger class that what was featured in the 4/4S.

I wasn't concerned about it with Apple, and I wouldn't be concerned about it with the Nexus 4 either.

iEnvy
Oct 30, 2012, 09:29 PM
Never had I had that "love at first sight" with a phone other than the iPhone of course. I was seriously considering jumping the fence but the deal breaker to me was storage and no LTE.

With Android being on the open software end of the spectrum, its no doubt I would utilize more storage than I would on the iPhone. The lack of a 32GB version seriously puzzles me.

No LTE is sort of..stupid. Isn't the iPhone 5 it's main competition? Why is it that the Nexus phone has no LTE yet the SG3 does? I could care less what Android fanboys claim. Saying they can live with no LTE with the competition now utilizing it is the same as when people on MacRumors claimed 3.5" was enough for the iPhone screen.

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 09:41 PM
No LTE is sort of..stupid. Isn't the iPhone 5 it's main competition? Why is it that the Nexus phone has no LTE yet the SG3 does? I could care less what Android fanboys claim. Saying they can live with no LTE with the competition now utilizing it is the same as when people on MacRumors claimed 3.5" was enough for the iPhone screen.

For the umpteenth time.... it's an unlocked phone. No unlocked phones offer LTE.

There may be carrier specific versions of the phone down the line that will.

wedouglas
Oct 30, 2012, 09:47 PM
The amount of data used by the average user is worth noting when considering the worth of LTE. Makes you wonder how significant LTE really is when the average data usage is only 2GB. Goes to show how little data is actually being used by the average person, thus the speed increase really doesn't make a huge difference. While it's true that a download or page may load 10x quicker in some cases, that doesn't mean you can read 10x faster. A 5 minute video clip still takes 5 minutes to watch regardless of how fast you download it.

In the end, the amount of time saved it probably quite insignificant with respect to how much time is spent on the task at hand. Unless you experience buffering or are downloading a large file, there is probably very little difference.

October 30, 2012
"Verizon, which was the first carrier to offer shared data pricing, said its average device used 2 gigabytes of data a month. T-Mobile USA, which sells unlimited data plans, said its average smartphone user consumes less than 1 gigabyte, but customers with the new Samsung Galaxy S III use 1.8 gig."

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/10/30/3892378/whats-in-a-data-plan-consumers.html#storylink=cpy

iEnvy
Oct 30, 2012, 09:48 PM
For the umpteenth time.... it's an unlocked phone. No unlocked phones offer LTE.

There may be carrier specific versions of the phone down the line that will.

Hold your horses, theres no need to be hostile. I haven't bought an unlocked phone since the Sony Xperia. I didn't know unlocked phones didn't offer LTE.

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 10:08 PM
Hold your horses, theres no need to be hostile. I haven't bought an unlocked phone since the Sony Xperia. I didn't know unlocked phones didn't offer LTE.

I wasn't trying to be hostile, but I am sorry.

----------

The amount of data used by the average user is worth noting when considering the worth of LTE. Makes you wonder how significant LTE really is when the average data usage is only 2GB. Goes to show how little data is actually being used by the average person, thus the speed increase really doesn't make a huge difference. While it's true that a download or page may load 10x quicker in some cases, that doesn't mean you can read 10x faster. A 5 minute video clip still takes 5 minutes to watch regardless of how fast you download it.

In the end, the amount of time saved it probably quite insignificant with respect to how much time is spent on the task at hand. Unless you experience buffering or are downloading a large file, there is probably very little difference.

Exactly. People keep pointing out download speeds of 10x faster on LTE, and no one is disputing that, but in real world usage, if a webpage on HSPA+ will load in seconds, the difference of LTE loading that webpage will be seconds.

Plus, the trade off of LTE for nearly double the battery life of the iPhone is quite worth it, in my opinion.

However, I do hope Google will release carrier specific versions with CDMA/LTE and subsidized pricing. That's how most people will want to get their phones.

F123D
Oct 30, 2012, 10:17 PM
If you're on T-Mobile, it's an easy choice. If you're on AT&T with LTE access, it's a difficult choice or just out of the question.

iEnvy
Oct 30, 2012, 10:18 PM
If you're on T-Mobile, it's an easy choice. If you're on AT&T with LTE access, it's a difficult choice or just out of the question.

Exactly... The Nexus 4 is such a great looking phone.. I told my girlfriend I'm considering switching and now she's going all Apple fan girl on me :rolleyes:

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 10:24 PM

Yeah, I actually don't know how Google plans to really spread the Nexus branding if they don't release carrier versions. I know prepaid model is very slowly being adopted, but for all intents and purposes, people still go through carriers. If they don't see the Nexus 4 in the ATT or Veriz or Sprint catalogs and stores and websites, they will simply never ever know of them.

Time will tell. I imagine Google doesn't want to say anything about carrier specific versions to not hurt the Play Store sales? : shrug :

wedouglas
Oct 30, 2012, 10:31 PM
I'm not sure how much carriers subsidize non-Apple phones, but I think a device like this would sell a ton if it were near free.

onthecouchagain
Oct 30, 2012, 10:42 PM

"-OMG NO LTE. WTF

People keep forgetting that the Nexus phones are meant to be sold unlocked, whereas the iPhones are meant to be sold through the carrier. So not having LTE with an unlocked phone is a different story than not having LTE with a carrier-meant phone. In that sense, the 4 and 4S were behind in LTE (and their eventual unlocked counterparts didn't have LTE either). Having said that, yes, Google does need to eventually forge better relations with carriers to release CDMA/LTE carrier specific devices (like they did with the GN).

As for the rest of that stuff, the verdict is still out on whether going with glass is a good idea or not. The entire back isn't made of glass like the 4S was plus the center framing encloses the panels. But again, it may end up being a terrible idea if they are prone to shatter. I think people are glad Android devices are finally seeing premium build quality (HTC, LG...).

The flat back thing is pure obfuscation. A lot of phones, iPHone or not, were and are flat. The issue with the 4S, in my experience, was that there were literally no curves to it. You can still have a flat back and be ergonomic. The 4S was flat, but not ergonomic. Not to mention the screen was tiny (and still is, IMO). I got cramps anytime I typed for too long on my 4S.

You're 110% right on lack of storage options. Big mistake from Google.

As for the removable battery... that's the beauty of Android. Freedom of choice. Removable battery, and SD expansions, and LTE are all still available on Android. Of course, if you opt to go with another Android device, there are tradeoffs, but that's how choices work. They're not always easy to make. Hard choices are better than no choices.

bigred7078
Oct 31, 2012, 10:04 AM
As for the removable battery... that's the beauty of Android. Freedom of choice. Removable battery, and SD expansions, and LTE are all still available on Android. Of course, if you opt to go with another Android device, there are tradeoffs, but that's how choices work. They're not always easy to make. Hard choices are better than no choices.

You keep mentioning that that the beauty of Anroid is the choice, but who cares... that doesn't apply to the thread topic at hand. We are comparing thoughts on the Nexus 4 from iPhone users, not thoughts on every Android phone available.

ReanimationN
Oct 31, 2012, 10:14 AM
No unlocked phones offer LTE.

http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone5#overview

You can get the iPhone 5 unlocked here in Australia and use it on LTE networks. Can't you get an unlocked iPhone 5 in the US?

ixodes
Oct 31, 2012, 10:22 AM
No LTE is kind of baffling...
There's nothing baffling about it. In fact the reason its not included makes perfect sense.

LTE is widely misunderstood because most people haven't bothered to learn what it is, whats required to add it to a phone, and market dynamics.

Google is your friend, ready to educate you in just a few clicks :)

mattopotamus
Oct 31, 2012, 10:22 AM
http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone5#overview

You can get the iPhone 5 unlocked here in Australia and use it on LTE networks. Can't you get an unlocked iPhone 5 in the US?

Yes.

soco
Oct 31, 2012, 10:32 AM
A lot of countries don't have LTE yet and sorry to to say this but the US isn't the only country in the world :p

Sorry I was inactive while dealing with a hurricane.

Are you saying they should be releasing flagship phones for use in "some countries" now?

Also, I don't appreciate you implying that I'm that ignorant of the existence and importance of the rest of the world.

Lindenhurst
Oct 31, 2012, 10:37 AM
Typical Apple fanboys. Just look at the Scott Forstall thread. Before he was fired, people loved him; suddenly he became the scapegoat for all of Apple's missteps.

Of course, other examples include 10 inch is the perfect size for tablet, and 3.5 inch is perfect for a phone; their brains suddenly change when Apple release new products.:)

Not exactly sure why so many feel the need to defend the product they have, but it is so obvious here on this forum. I have Apple devices and non Apple devices. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Why so much loyalty to a company that makes $$ by selling you a product?
Why do so many Apple fans say that they will never ever use anything other than an Apple device?

Only time will tell, and I do feel Apple has seen it's best day. They will continue to produce excellent products and they'll make a ton of cash, but the days of "everything Apple" are coming to an end. There is too much choice now for that mentality to continue. Google is on the way to the top. In a couple years from now, who knows who will dominate, but we all know things eventually do change, and no one company remains on top forever.

inselstudent
Oct 31, 2012, 10:59 AM
Well, I'm gonna buy/preorder it as soon as it comes available. Currently using an iPhone 4 and am actually quite interested in how Android would work for me. The main points for me are the low price and the bigger screen. The tiny iPhone screen really tends to annoy me, so I'm looking forward to the Nexus 4...The fact that it doesn't boast LTE doesn't bother me at all. I have a €10/month "contract" and couldn't even use LTE on my carrier. Also, I don't wanna spend €40+ a month on my phone tariff, which I had to when I wanted to use LTE here.

Goratrix
Oct 31, 2012, 11:01 AM
Are you saying they should be releasing flagship phones for use in "some countries" now?

Again, the Nexus 4 is not a "flagship". It is a statement. Google is saying "this is how we think a good phone at this specific price point ($300-$350) should be like". If someone wants a phone in the price range of iPhone, they will sure have some from third-party manufacturers to choose from in the near future who will happily make phones with LTE, 64 GB flash and all the rest... at a different price point of course. I don't understand where people are getting the idea that this is a high-end "flagship" phone designed to compete with the iPhone 5. It's not, and it was never meant to be.

3bs
Oct 31, 2012, 11:14 AM
Sorry I was inactive while dealing with a hurricane.

Also, I don't appreciate you implying that I'm that ignorant of the existence and importance of the rest of the world.

No I'm not saying that and I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you.

onthecouchagain
Oct 31, 2012, 11:20 AM
You keep mentioning that that the beauty of Anroid is the choice, but who cares... that doesn't apply to the thread topic at hand. We are comparing thoughts on the Nexus 4 from iPhone users, not thoughts on every Android phone available.

The reason I make that point is because people keep comparing it to the iPhone's release last year when it didn't have lte and pretending that we've now switched our stances regarding lte as if lte is suddenly gone from android and we don't care.

The thing is what Apple decides is what we get so when apple didn't offer lte that was that - that's what people had problems with. If you wanted an ios device you were out of luck. Whereas with Android, if lte (or ad expansion or removable storage) is that important you can still get it.

Don't get me wrong, it would definitely be a shame if Google didn't eventually offer CDMA /lte devices down the line.

aztooh
Oct 31, 2012, 11:39 AM
There's nothing baffling about it. In fact the reason its not included makes perfect sense.

LTE is widely misunderstood because most people haven't bothered to learn what it is, whats required to add it to a phone, and market dynamics.

Google is your friend, ready to educate you in just a few clicks :)

Love the condescending tone, you must be the smartest, coolest person alive!

I'm not in the market for a phone right now and have plenty of other things to do besides research meaningless things. Meaningless as in, meaningless TO ME, RIGHT NOW...in case that point escaped you.

What I do know about LTE, is that with it now, media loads faster on my phone and apps download (both new and updates) much much faster. Haven't tried a video call with it yet, but I imagine with the blazing fast data connection combined with a better camera, a video call will be a better experience on the iPhone 5 than it was on 4 or 4S....obviously assuming the other end of the call has a good connection as well.

I don't really care about the theory of how stuff should be working, I care about it's real world performance.

ixodes
Oct 31, 2012, 12:02 PM
I'm not in the market for a phone right now and have plenty of other things to do besides research meaningless things. Meaningless as in, meaningless TO ME, RIGHT NOW...
Oops.... must've hit a nerve.

Meaningless? Too busy? Apparently not.

Taking time to post, speaks louder than your words.

mattopotamus
Oct 31, 2012, 12:06 PM
The reason I make that point is because people keep comparing it to the iPhone's release last year when it didn't have lte and pretending that we've now switched our stances regarding lte as if lte is suddenly gone from android and we don't care.

The thing is what Apple decides is what we get so when apple didn't offer lte that was that - that's what people had problems with. If you wanted an ios device you were out of luck. Whereas with Android, if lte (or ad expansion or removable storage) is that important you can still get it.

Don't get me wrong, it would definitely be a shame if Google didn't eventually offer CDMA /lte devices down the line.

I understand where you are coming from, but if the iphone 5 did not have LTE very few people would upgrade from a 4S....well a ton would, but nothing like it is today.

onthecouchagain
Oct 31, 2012, 01:49 PM
I understand where you are coming from, but if the iphone 5 did not have LTE very few people would upgrade from a 4S....well a ton would, but nothing like it is today.

Agreed.

tjl3
Oct 31, 2012, 01:56 PM

Completely agree here and w/ onthecouchagain. Been waiting 2.5 years for Apple to release a LTE ready phone, and if iP5 didn't have it, I'd consider sitting out this refresh or even take a serious second look at the Nexus line. It is exactly as onthecouchagain said, there was no other option for iOS!

Back to the Nexus, the gap between the pure Google experience and the alternative is just not that big any more, just like the gap between two usable mobile OS in iOS and Android. We aren't talking about the gap between JB and Gingerbread, we're actually comparing 4.2 to 4.1. Sure Nexus 4 may get the next iteration of Android OS faster than its competition, but 4.1 is already a beefy, capable, and smooth working OS.

Just wanted to point out one thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet, it might be minimal, but it's kind of interesting that Google went with a 16:10 aspect ratio, altho I guess it makes sense since the Optimus G is 16:10. The GNex is 16:9. I hope both phones are supported moving forward, I don't know what if anything goes in to maintaining both aspect ratios for developers. In terms of video, it is interesting to note that at a 4.7" screen w/ 16:10 ratio, you get the same viewable area/resolution as the 16:9 4.65" GNex.

mattopotamus
Oct 31, 2012, 02:03 PM
Completely agree here and w/ onthecouchagain. Been waiting 2.5 years for Apple to release a LTE ready phone, and if iP5 didn't have it, I'd consider sitting out this refresh or even take a serious second look at the Nexus line. It is exactly as onthecouchagain said, there was no other option for iOS!

Back to the Nexus, the gap between the pure Google experience and the alternative is just not that big any more, just like the gap between two usable mobile OS in iOS and Android. We aren't talking about the gap between JB and Gingerbread, we're actually comparing 4.2 to 4.1. Sure Nexus 4 may get the next iteration of Android OS faster than its competition, but 4.1 is already a beefy, capable, and smooth working OS.

Just wanted to point out one thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet, it might be minimal, but it's kind of interesting that Google went with a 16:10 aspect ratio, altho I guess it makes sense since the Optimus G is 16:10. The GNex is 16:9. I hope both phones are supported moving forward, I don't know what if anything goes in to maintaining both aspect ratios for developers. In terms of video, it is interesting to note that at a 4.7" screen w/ 16:10 ratio, you get the same viewable area/resolution as the 16:9 4.65" GNex.

This is something very important to think about. How much more will android be able to do. Their OS's have gone through major changes b.c they were quite frankly, bad. Now with JB all is smooth and the features are great. Apple takes a lot of heat b.c their IOS does not make a big leap, but that is b.c there is not a ton they can do since they do choose to keep it "a closed garden." 4.2 is great, but nothing major from 4.1 like you said

Goratrix
Oct 31, 2012, 02:39 PM
but it's kind of interesting that Google went with a 16:10 aspect ratio, altho I guess it makes sense since the Optimus G is 16:10. The GNex is 16:9. I hope both phones are supported moving forward, I don't know what if anything goes in to maintaining both aspect ratios for developers.

There is no effort in maintaining the aspect ratio. There are hundreds of Android phones out there with different resolutions and aspect ratios. The OS and apps are resolution-independent, unlike iOS.

onthecouchagain
Oct 31, 2012, 02:42 PM
This is something very important to think about. How much more will android be able to do. Their OS's have gone through major changes b.c they were quite frankly, bad. Now with JB all is smooth and the features are great. Apple takes a lot of heat b.c their IOS does not make a big leap, but that is b.c there is not a ton they can do since they do choose to keep it "a closed garden." 4.2 is great, but nothing major from 4.1 like you said

I forgot who it was over at google recently said android is still only 1/3 done, whatever that means. So it sounds like they still have big plans for android?

I love their humility and humbleness.

Guess time will tell.

Vegastouch
Oct 31, 2012, 10:53 PM
Isn't the 'Nexus' line promoted as a Dev phone, not really targeted to the average consumer?

No LTE is kind of baffling...but, for it's purposes, there's no need for crazy amounts of internal storage.

Yes but they explained the reason they dont give a microslot in the Nexus devices is because it is confusing to the user....which i find utter Bulls**t. Give it the slot and if the person using it is confused, they dont have to use it.

I Only use my microSDcard for music and movies and some photos anyways. The rest goes on the internal card.

roxxette
Nov 1, 2012, 01:12 AM
Without that sdcard slot it looks better anyway, these android devices are not selling more than they are now probably on looks, the hardware is there and the software is there so i think thats the other step they need.

Coming years memory will be cheaper, hell seems now allready is and if year imagina the next nexus at these prices with 32gb and 64gn thats more than enough, 64gb and you also need a sdcard thats pushing your luck if you plan to handle everything with a smartphone let alone your bussines.

aztooh
Nov 1, 2012, 01:14 AM
Oops.... must've hit a nerve.

Meaningless? Too busy? Apparently not.

Taking time to post, speaks louder than your words.

I'm already on here, genius. I'm not taking the time to go research something I don't have the need to research.

Not quite as slick as you would like to think, good try though...very valiant effort.

----------

Yes but they explained the reason they dont give a microslot in the Nexus devices is because it is confusing to the user....which i find utter Bulls**t. Give it the slot and if the person using it is confused, they dont have to use it.

I Only use my microSDcard for music and movies and some photos anyways. The rest goes on the internal card.

Seriously? Sounds like a very Apple thing to say. If one is confused about using expanded memory, probably shouldn't be using a feature rich smart phone.

7thson
Nov 2, 2012, 04:32 PM
I was interested in the nexus 4 until I found out it was gsm only. Boo hoo. I also think it's foolish to offer it in an 8gb configuration and no sd expansion. That's pretty limiting. I am not interested in it's cousin the Optimus G, since it isn't pure google. I'll wait and see how the next nexus phones shape up. I love the iphone, but I'm not above trying out the competition. Wp8 looks interesting as well, but again, only offered for the gsm network and it's weak where I live.

3bs
Nov 3, 2012, 05:57 AM
I forgot who it was over at google recently said android is still only 1/3 done, whatever that means. So it sounds like they still have big plans for android?

I love their humility and humbleness.

Guess time will tell.

Can't wait to see what the other 2/3rds will be like.

onthecouchagain
Nov 3, 2012, 11:02 AM

Aye.

With stiffer competition now coming from MS and maybe RIM (???) Android has to keep pushing forward. I think with ICS they've finally reached a very high point. That's when things started really turning around and people began respecting Android. With JB they're ironing out the remaining issues and adding refinements. It'll be interesting to see what's their next big software improvement/addition.

It'll also be exciting to see what Ive does with iOS 7. Though, I fear, it'll primarily be cosmetic. I can't foresee that major of a change for iOS.

EDIT: What's great about a $349 price point is that if the competition does become more attractive, say iOS 7 really does bring the changes we want, you can always sell the Nexus 4 and feel okay about spending less than ~300 bucks on a device, then switch to whatever you want. The value of the Nexus 4 unlocked just makes it that much easier to buy.

auero
Nov 4, 2012, 02:48 PM
Rather buy an LG fridge.

Considering 3G speed in the states are like 1.5Mb download, don't really wants to go back to that from LTE.

What? That's not true... This is near the shore in New Jersey where 1 out of 5 towers are working right now.

Grolubao
Nov 4, 2012, 03:40 PM

"-OMG NO LTE. WTF

The difference is that it costs double of what the Nexus 4 costs.

mcman77
Nov 4, 2012, 03:44 PM

I'm affraid it's going to get worse and worse with forcing the consumer to use their cloud services etc. It won't be pretty for me...

3bs
Nov 4, 2012, 04:04 PM
I'm affraid it's going to get worse and worse with forcing the consumer to use their cloud services etc. It won't be pretty for me...

If we have fast enough data speeds and higher data caps then why not I guess. I still prefer having stuff locally but everything is moving to the cloud these days.

F123D
Nov 4, 2012, 04:06 PM
What? That's not true... This is near the shore in New Jersey where 1 out of 5 towers are working right now.

Thats pretty good. I might be able to live with that. Unfortunately, thats the highest speed I've seen since I've been researching hspa+ speeds. Most I've seen range from 3 - 6.

Vegastouch
Nov 4, 2012, 04:18 PM
I am concerned about the glass back. Honestly it may look good but it wil be more fragile than a plastic back. Not a big fan of the glass back. I am concerned that if it breaks, how will we replace the glass?
There isnt any support for these like Apple has. That is the one huge upperhand Apple has. I guess we wait for eBay parts and threads on how to do it yourself?

paolo-
Nov 4, 2012, 04:23 PM
I'm currently on a 3GS and I've been thinking of upgrading to a used iphone 4S (similar price as a new nexus 4). But this might change my mind. The more I think of it, the less there are things that tie me up to iOS... I don't really do much on my phone: email, rss, random internet browsing, using the camera and listening to music. That might be because my phone is so slow though. But I can't really think of anything I'll miss.

I really like the iOS UI as it's simple and to the point but I haven't really used a recent Android phone. And most I see are bloated with manufacturer software. Stock Android looks decent enough.

You guys think it would be a good move, anything I would miss from an iPhone?

3bs
Nov 4, 2012, 04:36 PM
I am concerned about the glass back. Honestly it may look good but it wil be more fragile than a plastic back. Not a big fan of the glass back. I am concerned that if it breaks, how will we replace the glass?
There isnt any support for these like Apple has. That is the one huge upperhand Apple has. I guess we wait for eBay parts and threads on how to do it yourself?

I'm very concerned about this too. onthecouchagain posted a link where someone from anandtech showed that taking off the back is pretty easy but we still need replacements.

ReanimationN
Nov 4, 2012, 07:01 PM

No, don't do it to yourself. You'll miss how the iPhone performs, you'll miss the quality of the apps (and quantity, depending on which country you're in) and the consistency of the UI. The lag that still plagues Android and its apps is the biggest killer, you don't want to be paying money in 2012 for a device that performs like that.

If you're tired of iOS and are looking for an alternative, go for a Windows Phone.

onthecouchagain
Nov 4, 2012, 07:32 PM
No, don't do it to yourself. You'll miss how the iPhone performs, you'll miss the quality of the apps (and quantity, depending on which country you're in) and the consistency of the UI. The lag that still plagues Android and its apps is the biggest killer, you don't want to be paying money in 2012 for a device that performs like that.

If you're tired of iOS and are looking for an alternative, go for a Windows Phone.

You've used the Nexus 4? Please, tell us more. This post is nothing but obfuscation.

And consistency of the UI? The dedicated back button and the dedicated menu button offers far more consistency than anything iOS has. Please explain to me why on iOS I have to go to different places to access app settings?

Gmail settings:

http://i.imgur.com/P52yS.png

Facebook settings:

http://i.imgur.com/diIAU.png

----------

I don't really do much on my phone: email, rss, random internet browsing, using the camera and listening to music.

I really like the iOS UI as it's simple and to the point but I haven't really used a recent Android phone. And most I see are bloated with manufacturer software. Stock Android looks decent enough.

I'd argue that Gmail easily beats iOS Mail. Not to mention you get the choice of your own default keyboard. If you type a lot of emails (or text) on your phone, believe me, you will be blown away that you got by without Swiftkey or Swype before.

I'd argue RSS is better on Android thanks to widgets.

I'd argue browsing the web is better too. No max number of tabs, easier to access private browsing (takes iOS 5-6 steps to switch to Private browsing), your choice of default browser.

Camera would probably be better on the iPhone if you were talking about the iPhone 5, but since you're talking about the 4S, the Nexus 4 probably edges it out. I hear the Nexus 4 matches current competition's camera.

Music is a bit of a toss up.

As for simplicity of UI, I find iOS is so simple that it's actually harder to do things. Stock Android has a bit more of a learning curve, but that's because it offers you more flexibility. Once you figure it out (it's not that hard) the phone becomes far easier to use than iOS. In fact, once you set it up, it's catered specifically to your needs and usage. You can set toggles for your most frequent settings, you can choose whatever keyboard you want, you can choose what lock screen shows up every time you wake your device, or what browser you want to launch, or how you want to receive and interact with your mail, etc.

Many many ways to make the phone uniquely yours, both aesthetically and in usability.

The other thing I'd consider is the screen size. We're talking about 3.5 versus 4.7. It's a glorious world to explore through a bigger screen. And if you're worried about the supposedly lag, if there's one consistent thing with the Nexus 4 reviews, it's that the performance of the device is superb and lag-free. You can thank the processor, the 2GB of RAM, Android 4.2, and the zerogap screen tech. Wouldn't the iPhone 4S running iOS 6, and then iOS 7 cause more lag? It won't be very different from your 3GS experience now.

Good luck.

aneftp
Nov 4, 2012, 07:50 PM
Depends. I want to use nexus 4 on my spare line and want to use $10 unlimited dumb phone plan.

But if att recognizes phone since they sell similar Optimus LTE phone than att will add $30 data plan.

Than nexus 4 is no go with me. I have iPhone 5 as main phone and won't pay $30 extra data for another phone.

paolo-
Nov 4, 2012, 08:42 PM
You've used the Nexus 4? Please, tell us more. This post is nothing but obfuscation.

And consistency of the UI? The dedicated back button and the dedicated menu button offers far more consistency than anything iOS has. Please explain to me why on iOS I have to go to different places to access app settings?

Gmail settings:

Facebook settings:

It's kind of a toss up, navigation seems to be a bit superior on android. But the apps tend to look better on iOS, they also usually work nicely and are easy to understand. IMHO Android is a bit cluttered and ugly at times. Keeping in mind that most of my experience with android is poking around my girlfriend's HTC Desire running 2.2 I think. It usually is a bit weird to find my way around, how do I know what app is running, how do I switch between them and so on... (probably easy enough mind you...)

I'd argue that Gmail easily beats iOS Mail. Not to mention you get the choice of your own default keyboard. If you type a lot of emails (or text) on your phone, believe me, you will be blown away that you got by without Swiftkey or Swype before.

I'd argue RSS is better on Android thanks to widgets.

I'd argue browsing the web is better too. No max number of tabs, easier to access private browsing (takes iOS 5-6 steps to switch to Private browsing), your choice of default browser.

Camera would probably be better on the iPhone if you were talking about the iPhone 5, but since you're talking about the 4S, the Nexus 4 probably edges it out. I hear the Nexus 4 matches current competition's camera.

Music is a bit of a toss up.

As for simplicity of UI, I find iOS is so simple that it's actually harder to do things. Stock Android has a bit more of a learning curve, but that's because it offers you more flexibility. Once you figure it out (it's not that hard) the phone becomes far easier to use than iOS. In fact, once you set it up, it's catered specifically to your needs and usage. You can set toggles for your most frequent settings, you can choose whatever keyboard you want, you can choose what lock screen shows up every time you wake your device, or what browser you want to launch, or how you want to receive and interact with your mail, etc.

Many many ways to make the phone uniquely yours, both aesthetically and in usability.

The other thing I'd consider is the screen size. We're talking about 3.5 versus 4.7. It's a glorious world to explore through a bigger screen. And if you're worried about the supposedly lag, if there's one consistent thing with the Nexus 4 reviews, it's that the performance of the device is superb and lag-free. You can thank the processor, the 2GB of RAM, Android 4.2, and the zerogap screen tech. Wouldn't the iPhone 4S running iOS 6, and then iOS 7 cause more lag? It won't be very different from your 3GS experience now.

Good luck.

I have to agree with you that iOS is oversimplified. It might need a bit of an overhaul. It made sense on iPhone 1 but now with all the power and the apps navigating through a device that is fully lock down is a pain in the ass. I usually feel like I'm trying to trick it to give me access to my files when doing any kind of meaningful work...

I'm just afraid I'll be underwhelmed by Android. Other than the fact that it's locked down beyond reason, I love the feel of iOS. Simple, clean, works properly, stock settings are good. Being the geek that I am, I probably won't mind customizing Android though. The other thing is that apps don't usually seem to be on par.

Anyhow, I can't wait to see the nexus 4 and try it at least. In the meantime, I'll nag my friends with Android phones to show me around.

Vegastouch
Nov 4, 2012, 08:53 PM
Depends. I want to use nexus 4 on my spare line and want to use $10 unlimited dumb phone plan.

But if att recognizes phone since they sell similar Optimus LTE phone than att will add $30 data plan.

Than nexus 4 is no go with me. I have iPhone 5 as main phone and won't pay $30 extra data for another phone.

It will recognize it and seeing that, i have no idea why you guys would stick with AT&T if they do that to you.

I guess T-Mobile doesnt work well in some areas...for some reason i dont know why but they are soo much cheaper than Verizon and AT&T. I didnt even get charged upgrade fees when i got my GS3's which are half the price of AT&T's fees already. I am so glad the merger/buyout didnt go thru.

5 lines, $125 a month, 3 phones with unlimited data. One line is my house VoiP i hold on to just because ive had that number for so long. Otherwise i could save another measley $5.

ReanimationN
Nov 4, 2012, 11:20 PM
Nope, but I've used the Nexus 7 running the latest version of Android available to the public. If I can't expect the latest 7-inch tablet being sold directly by Google, running the latest version of Android available to the public, to perform well, then something is wrong with the OS.

Looking back, that's how it always has been with Android- it's always the next version that will fix all the problems, or the next super-powerful device. It hasn't eventuated though, not yet. And if the Nexus 4 is completely lag free, but the Nexus 7 isn't, then I'm going to feel stoked as a Google customer, aren't I? One of their latest range runs lag free, but another one doesn't? Well, that's a sure fire way to make people look upon Android favourably.
Yes, the split settings locations are a quirk of iOS. I'd rather deal with that than deal with the crap Android dishes up though.

And the back and menu buttons being consistent? Can you explain to me why pushing back in the Commonwealth Bank app exits the app, rather than going back to the previous screen? Can you explain why after entering an email from the Gmail home screen widget, pressing back enters the Gmail app, rather than going back to the home screen? Can you explain why some apps have their menu options onscreen (there's even inconsistency here when developers do this, some put them at the bottom ala iOS, while others put them at the top of the screen), while others bury them under the menu button? Can you explain why only some apps use the Holo theme, while some are still using the awful looking Gingerbread themed buttons and UI elements (I know the answer, but this is one of the major killers when it comes to Android UI consistency)? And can you explain why some eschew anything resembling that used in the rest of the OS and look and function entirely differently?

iOS apps almost always have main menu options at the bottom of the screen, an option to go back to the previous screen you were on in an app in the top left hand corner, an option to pull down on the app's content to refresh it and the same appearance for buttons and other UI elements. There are definitely exceptions, of course, but as a whole the OS and its apps are remarkably consistent.

onthecouchagain
Nov 4, 2012, 11:31 PM
Nope

Obfuscation, as I said.

I've used the Nexus 7 running the latest version of Android available to the public. If I can't expect the latest 7-inch tablet being sold directly by Google, running the latest version of Android available to the public, to perform well, then something is wrong with the OS.

Your definition of performing well is vastly skewed. First, there are no real numbers for the difference in screen time response. The closest we've calculated via highly unscientific methods on these forums is roughly 30 milliseconds of difference, give or take. You are scrutinizing 30 milliseconds of difference to deem performance is unwell. Hey, if those 30 milliseconds are that important to you, I've said it a number of times, all good, mate. But it's 30 milliseconds you're bickering over to declare an OS as "wrong." I've mentioned a number of times, the list of reasons iOS users are defending have grown short, and nitpicky.

Second, stop pretending iOS doesn't lag or have poor response times every now and then. Typing on iOS is a major demonstration of lag. I've had constant miss keys, unregistered taps (even though the letter has clearly 'greyed' to show that it's a tap); I've had icons do the same too, where I tap to launch an app, and the app icon turns grey, but it doesn't actually launch it. I have to tap it again to actually have it launch. There's tons more instances of lag, sometimes with trying to unlock the screen, sometimes with opening folders, or swiping left to the search bar (there's almost always a slight stutter).

One of their latest range runs lag free, but another one doesn't? Well, that's a sure fire way to make people look upon Android favourably.

They're two different devices with different specs? Is it that surprising they might offer varying results? :confused:

(EDIT: 30 milliseconds is .03 of a second! Even if this is accurate, this is laughable. This just reminds me how silly I am to be trying to convine you how and why .03 seconds isn't a deal breaker. This will be my last response to you regarding this topic. Really, best of luck. No hard feelings, mate.)

ReanimationN
Nov 5, 2012, 01:52 AM
Obfuscation, as I said. Hardly, the Nexus 7 is part of Google's current flagship range- the devices should perform comparably.
Your definition of performing well is vastly skewed. First, there are no real numbers for the difference in screen time response. The closest we've calculated via highly unscientific methods on these forums is roughly 30 milliseconds of difference, give or take. You are scrutinizing 30 milliseconds of difference to deem performance is unwell. Hey, if those 30 milliseconds are that important to you, I've said it a number of times, all good, mate. But it's 30 milliseconds you're bickering over to declare an OS as "wrong." I've mentioned a number of times, the list of reasons iOS users are defending have grown short, and nitpicky.
Those numbers were plucked out of thin air, based on the estimates of a poster here! I very highly doubt the difference is only 30 seconds, given that I often experience visible lag and slowdowns. And that's just in the OS, in numerous apps (with one key one being the browser) the response time is even worse.
Second, stop pretending iOS doesn't lag or have poor response times every now and then.I've never pretended it doesn't, I owned a 3GS running iOS 5!
Typing on iOS is a major demonstration of lag. I've had constant miss keys, unregistered taps (even though the letter has clearly 'greyed' to show that it's a tap); I've had icons do the same too, where I tap to launch an app, and the app icon turns grey, but it doesn't actually launch it. I have to tap it again to actually have it launch. There's tons more instances of lag, sometimes with trying to unlock the screen, sometimes with opening folders, or swiping left to the search bar (there's almost always a slight stutter).I don't know about you, but the only time I've experienced typing lag on iOS was when I updated my 3GS to iOS 5- never experienced it on my girlfriend's 4S and never on my iPhone 5. I have experienced a few instances of lag opening an app on my 3GS running iOS 5, but it's a device from 2009 running an OS from 2011, I'll cut the poor thing some slack- it's not like it's a device in Google's current flagship range, released this year and running the latest OS.
They're two different devices with different specs? Is it that surprising they might offer varying results? :confused:Yes! They're both devices in Google's current flagship range, Google should be aiming to provide a consistent experience between their devices, and not simply be happy that one of their devices doesn't lag while the rest aren't cutting it.
(EDIT: 30 milliseconds is .03 of a second! Even if this is accurate, this is laughable. This just reminds me how silly I am to be trying to convine you how and why .03 seconds isn't a deal breaker. This will be my last response to you regarding this topic. Really, best of luck. No hard feelings, mate.)

As I said, you're blowing up over a figure a poster on here plucked out of thin air, I very highly doubt that's the real figure.

If that's the last thing you want to post to me, no worries. I'm just trying to help out potential buyers who are reading these threads, trying to get an idea of how different devices perform. There's a whole lot of Android love on here, without much discussion of its very real, still very prominent flaws. Even if you ignore the performance problems, I've detailed and given examples of the poor app selection and poor app performance (which is just awful for Australians) and given examples of how iOS has a much more consistent UI (barring the split settings locations ;)). Before getting the N7, I never expected to be posting what I'm posting, but I gave Android a good go and it's lacking in the basics. My recommendation would be to get a device with an OS made by Apple or Microsoft- they both make a far higher quality OS.

Btw, just to show that I actually do own a Nexus 7, I attached a picture of the boxes of my 3GS, N7 and iPhone 5.

marc11
Nov 5, 2012, 02:10 AM
Looking back, that's how it always has been with Android- it's always the next version that will fix all the problems, or the next super-powerful device. It hasn't eventuated though, not yet. .

Oh and Apple NEVER has that same problem? Come on, really? How about battery and data excess use issues with just about every initial iOS release, reguiring a patch? How about lag and app crash issues with recent iOS releases? How about why for so many users their iPhones respring when opening iMessage for no known reason? How about how I can get a notification of a new email, read the email and then 6 seconds later my phone plays a new message sound...that is 6 seconds after I have read the message...thats not lag?

Or how about how Apple, now at an accelerated pace is upgrading hardware and then upgrading the OS with "new features" that only run on the newest hardware? Hmmmm, since it is Apple that is innovation, right? Not a plan to entice quicker upgrades, right? Gee ever think why Apple now releases major OS upgrades yearly?

Oh, and shall I mention the first release of Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion...bugginess?

Point is, EVERY OS has issues, has bugs and has problems that will be addressed in the "next release". To put your head in the sand and say this is only an Android problem and iOS is the golden child of perfection is laughable.

ReanimationN
Nov 5, 2012, 03:03 AM
Oh and Apple NEVER has that same problem? Come on, really? How about battery and data excess use issues with just about every initial iOS release, reguiring a patch? How about lag and app crash issues with recent iOS releases? How about why for so many users their iPhones respring when opening iMessage for no known reason? How about how I can get a notification of a new email, read the email and then 6 seconds later my phone plays a new message sound...that is 6 seconds after I have read the message...thats not lag?Releasing a patch to a problem isn't the same as hyping a new version of the OS as the version that solves the OS' problems, or hyping a new device as not suffering from the OS' typical problems. And then doing the same for the next round of devices and the next OS when the last bunch didn't solve the problems.

New operating systems always have teething problems, that's common to all operating systems. Even operating systems that are (nearly) universally acclaimed, such as Windows 7, have such problems. That's not the same as the same OS featuring the same problem through each version and hardware upgrade. That'd be like every new Windows OS having lag issues on the latest powerful hardware. Something tells me that wouldn't fly with PC owners.
Or how about how Apple, now at an accelerated pace is upgrading hardware and then upgrading the OS with "new features" that only run on the newest hardware? Hmmmm, since it is Apple that is innovation, right? Not a plan to entice quicker upgrades, right? Gee ever think why Apple now releases major OS upgrades yearly?I never said Apple was innovative. ;) In fact, I'll readily admit their OS development has stagnated- doesn't worry me, I'm not a hardcore Apple fan. Their OS still performs incredibly well though and their app quality and range are unparalleled in the mobile phone space.
Oh, and shall I mention the first release of Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion...bugginess?

Point is, EVERY OS has issues, has bugs and has problems that will be addressed in the "next release". To put your head in the sand and say this is only an Android problem and iOS is the golden child of perfection is laughable.I've never said iOS is completely free of problems, I've said it has nailed the basics, especially performance- something Android hasn't done.

roxxette
Nov 5, 2012, 03:07 AM
I always say my iphone is always smooth with minor troubles BUT its stupid to claim any performance when the OS doesnt do much on the UI deparment, i will dare to say that if you treat android the same way (just grid of apps) it will be the same ****

Jibbajabba
Nov 5, 2012, 03:41 AM
I got a 4S at the moment - even without eBay you can sell it for 250 here in the UK or almost 280 with Argos voucher - the latter gets you the 16GB N4 ... If Argos sells it then I will do this myself ... Getting a tad bored of iOS right now and the N4 comes with a nice clean OS which I can customize (and no I am not here to argue which one is better - just my personal opinnion).

mcman77
Nov 7, 2012, 03:47 PM
If we have fast enough data speeds and higher data caps then why not I guess. I still prefer having stuff locally but everything is moving to the cloud these days.

I won't. Personally I think its a way to be charged for 'rent' on a server, I don't like that idea. If I would do any sort of cloud i'd rather set my own one up from home. Much cheaper and I could have much more space.

JMO

onthecouchagain
Nov 9, 2012, 08:11 AM
Regarding the iPhone 5's amazing responsiveness to touch...

I was at a friend's playing with his iPhone 5. And when I pulled down the notification center and tried tapping into the weather widget to launch the app, it didn't respond to my first few taps. It took 3 or 4 taps before it would actually launch into the weather app. What's worse was, it could be repeated. I would randomly pull down the Notification Center and try to tap into the weather, and sometimes it worked on first tap, and other times, took 3 or 4 taps to get into it. I asked my friend about it and he said yeah, that's happened to him a few times.

In fact, he went on to say sometimes icons don't launch even when tapped.

I can say with my iPad 3rd Gen that I've experienced this too. You see missed presses severely when typing, but I've also experienced when I tap on an app icon to launch it, it won't register. Only a second tap gets it to go. And sometimes, when I tap, I can see the icon itself gray out like it's been tapped, but the app won't actually launch. It's bizarre. I've experienced it with other miscellaneous taps too; cases where I've had to re-tap something to get it to go. Noticed it more with iOS 6 than I did with iOS 5.

Anyway, the point I'm making is, the apparent gulf between iOS and Android touch response is overblown (as is with many many differences). iOS hiccups with its touch response sometimes too, as does Android.

cnguyen0320
Nov 9, 2012, 08:28 AM

I was at a friend's playing with his iPhone 5. And when I pulled down the notification center and tried tapping into the weather widget to launch the app, it didn't respond to my first few taps. It took 3 or 4 taps before it would actually launch into the weather app. What's worse was, it could be repeated. I would randomly pull down the Notification Center and try to tap into the weather, and sometimes it worked on first tap, and other times, took 3 or 4 taps to get into it. I asked my friend about it and he said yeah, that's happened to him a few times.

I can say with my iPad 3rd Gen that I've experienced this too. You see missed presses severely when typing, but I've also experienced when I tap on an app icon to launch it, it won't register. Only a second tap gets it to go. And sometimes, when I tap, I can see the icon itself gray out like it's been tapped, but the app won't actually launch. It's bizarre. I've experienced it with other miscellaneous taps too; cases where I've had to re-tap something to get it to go. Noticed it more with iOS 6 than I did with iOS 5.

Anyway, the point I'm making is, the apparent gulf between iOS and Android touch response is overblown (as is with many many differences). iOS hiccups with its touch response sometimes too, as does Android.

A bit exaggerated I think. I'm running iPhone 4 and even that doesn't happen to me. I have noticed that when the screen is dirty or your hands are wet/dirty the screen is less responsive... So theres that. Also many screen protectors reduce touch response. The biggest one Otterbox defender case/protector. So don't blame it on the OS. If it is OS's fault it is really buggy and note a widespread issue especially running on a brand new iPhone 5. Oh and damage to the phone will cause that too

onthecouchagain
Nov 9, 2012, 08:49 AM
A bit exaggerated I think. I'm running iPhone 4 and even that doesn't happen to me. I have noticed that when the screen is dirty or your hands are wet/dirty the screen is less responsive... So theres that. Also many screen protectors reduce touch response. The biggest one Otterbox defender case/protector. So don't blame it on the OS. If it is OS's fault it is really buggy and note a widespread issue especially running on a brand new iPhone 5. Oh and damage to the phone will cause that too

Agreed. Could be a number of things. Just sharing what I experienced last night with my friend's iPhone 5.

But it was interesting that he mentioned he's experienced unregistered taps when trying to launch apps, cause I've experienced that on my iPad 3rd gen also. Not just with app icons, but in general, sometimes it requires two taps for something to go. This isn't even something I mind, per se, but ever since a few posters here started nitpicking over the millisecond differences in touch response between iOS and Android, I've been more sensitive to it when it happens on iOS. Can't help but notice it every time it happens on iOS because apparently it doesn't.

EDIT: Also experienced that on the iPhone 4S when I owned it, but it happened more with the keyboard than anything else.

ChazUK
Nov 9, 2012, 08:52 AM

The gulf may have gotten bigger on the iPhone 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BnioM-nkhqc

onthecouchagain
Nov 9, 2012, 08:55 AM
The gulf may have gotten bigger on the iPhone 5.

You mean bigger the other direction, or smaller? Cause that seems worse than anything I've ever seen on stock Android.

Interesting video.

cnguyen0320
Nov 9, 2012, 08:56 AM
Agreed. Could be a number of things. Just sharing what I experienced last night with my friend's iPhone 5.

But it was interesting that he mentioned he's experienced unregistered taps when trying to launch apps, cause I've experienced that on my iPad 3rd gen also. Not just with app icons, but in general, sometimes it requires two taps for something to go.

I've had that issue while not in apps, it was in web browser. I use chrome by the way so not sure how safari handles this... But when I click on links, it'll "hover" over and then I have to click again to actually go to the link. It happens on these forums all the time.

Also I'd like to point out that you have to made sure you are tapping the right spot. Normally when you click something, the color or tone of the button will change: keyboard darkens, notifications turn blue, pop up for text selection turns blue, etc. A friend of mine began getting frustrated at my iPad cause it wouldn't register his paste command.... Little did he know, he was missing the button. Our hands aren't as accurate as we think.

onthecouchagain
Nov 9, 2012, 08:58 AM
I've had that issue while not in apps, it was in web browser. I use chrome by the way so not sure how safari handles this... But when I click on links, it'll "hover" over and then I have to click again to actually go to the link. It happens on these forums all the time.

Also I'd like to point out that you have to made sure you are tapping the right spot. Normally when you click something, the color or tone of the button will change: keyboard darkens, notifications turn blue, pop up for text selection turns blue, etc. A friend of mine began getting frustrated at my iPad cause it wouldn't register his paste command.... Little did he know, he was missing the button. Our hands aren't as accurate as we think.

That link thing I think is by design. For example, imgur requires two taps to get into a picture. The first tap will just highlight it, so to speak.

Yes, I agree with your second point. Which is why, as I mentioned earlier, it's baffling when I can see the app icon gray out, meaning it's been "tapped" but nothing actually happens. This is what my friend said he was experiencing too. I know precisely what you mean. The graying out tells me it's been tapped, so I don't think I'm missing it, but the app doesn't actually launch (or the action doesn't actually happen). A second tap (it grays out again) will do the trick.

As I said, noticed this more with iOS 6 than 5.

This isn't even something I mind, per se, but ever since a few posters here started nitpicking over the millisecond differences in touch response between iOS and Android, I've been more sensitive to it when it happens on iOS. Can't help but notice it every time it happens on iOS because apparently it doesn't.

ChazUK
Nov 9, 2012, 09:00 AM
You mean bigger the other direction, or smaller? Cause that seems worse than anything I've ever seen on stock Android.

Interesting video.

As a former Nexus One user, I have been hit with ****** touch detection before (Thanks crappy Clearpad 2000 touch sensor!). My only real issue I had with the N1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8g0rkuJucg

Hopefully it's a software issue on the iPhone 5, not a hardware one.

onthecouchagain
Nov 9, 2012, 09:05 AM
As a former Nexus One user, I have been hit with ****** touch detection before (Thanks crappy Clearpad 2000 touch sensor!). My only real issue I had with the N1.

I never owned the Nexus One but I remember reading tons of things about how it didn't have multitouch. It's come a long way since then... :)

Is this iPhone 5 issue a newly discovered one? Never heard of it until now. Share it on the iPhone forums. They'll flip out. :P

ChazUK
Nov 9, 2012, 09:14 AM
I never owned the Nexus One but I remember reading tons of things about how it didn't have multitouch. It's come a long way since then... :)

Things have gotten a whole lot better now with Android hardware and software, that's for sure! :D

Is this iPhone 5 issue a newly discovered one? Never heard of it until now. Share it on the iPhone forums. They'll flip out. :P

I believe it's a newly discovered issue: http://recombu.com/mobile/news/iphone-5-scroll-glitch_M18548.html

I do remember people slating the Nexus One for it's extremely poor multitiouch sensor. That's why I hope the new issue is software for our iP5 owning brethren and can be easily fixed.

I'll wait for the folk to find out themselves but expect to be hearing how touch response and faulty screens are a non issue soon. :p

cnguyen0320
Nov 9, 2012, 09:15 AM

But people only do that when they are fooling around with their phone. No one would ever really care about doing that reliably unless your goal is to bash apple...

ChazUK
Nov 9, 2012, 09:16 AM
But people only do that when they are fooling around with their phone. No one would ever really care about doing that reliably unless your goal is to bash apple...

I have used similar finger motions on Fruit Ninja. That's about it though, so I'll openly say it isn't much of a deal.

onthecouchagain
Nov 9, 2012, 09:41 AM
Don't think it's a major issue either. And it may or may not be related to the touch response issue that creeps up with ios that I was talking about. Just saw 9to5mac.com post it on the front page.

Dr McKay
Nov 9, 2012, 01:06 PM
I currently have an iPhone 5 64GB, and I intend to get the Nexus 4, I've been with iPhone since the first ever one, tried a Nokia Lumia 900 briefly but it wasn't to my taste. Now Android has matured enough for me.

ReanimationN
Nov 9, 2012, 05:26 PM

Sounds like your friend has a bad iPhone 5, one of my girlfriend's friends had hers replaced last week after having issues with her touch screen. Mine's been pretty much flawless, I've had a few little glitches here and there, but on the whole, it's been by far the most responsive touch screen device I've ever used. I also tried to replicate that diagonal scrolling issue on mine- I don't have it, neither does my girlfriend's 4S.

onthecouchagain
Nov 9, 2012, 10:51 PM
Sounds like your friend has a bad iPhone 5

So, Nexus 7 touch screen hiccups = Android sucks, is broken, is "wrong," is a complete deal-breaker and failure of an OS.

Iphone 5 touch screen hiccups = Just a defective unit.

Hey, maybe it is defective, but I noticed it when I owned my 4S (primarily with the keyboard), and I notice it now with my iPad 3 (primarily after iOS 6 update). I have other friends too who have said their iPhone isn't always perfectly responsive (friends tend to be a little more forthcoming; less defensive).

As I said before, when this happens on my iPad, it isn't even something I necessarily mind, per se, but ever since you and some others have started nitpicking over this apparent gulf of touch screen difference, I've been more sensitive to it when it happens on iOS; I can't help but notice it every time it happens on iOS because apparently it doesn't.

Elit3
Nov 9, 2012, 11:11 PM
No LTE, no comparison.

So quad core Qualcomm 1.5 GHz with 2GB ram is a small bump from 1 GB ram and Tegra 2 dual core?

Vitrum
Nov 9, 2012, 11:59 PM
So, Nexus 7 touch screen hiccups = Android sucks, is broken, is "wrong," is a complete deal-breaker and failure of an OS.

Iphone 5 touch screen hiccups = Just a defective unit.

Hey, maybe it is defective, but I noticed it when I owned my 4S (primarily with the keyboard), and I notice it now with my iPad 3 (primarily after iOS 6 update). I have other friends too who have said their iPhone isn't always perfectly responsive (friends tend to be a little more forthcoming; less defensive).

As I said before, when this happens on my iPad, it isn't even something I necessarily mind, per se, but ever since you and some others have started nitpicking over this apparent gulf of touch screen difference, I've been more sensitive to it when it happens on iOS; I can't help but notice it every time it happens on iOS because apparently it doesn't.

Something about a "issue" with iphone 5 touchscreen.

http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-5-could-have-a-serious-hardware-based-touchscreen-problem-video/

marc11
Nov 10, 2012, 12:39 AM
I enjoy how things like poor screen resolution aka iPad mini or this screen lag aka iPhone 5 are minor things that people do not mind. But on any other non Apple device they are turned into unreadable laggy devices that are worthy of nothing more than the trash bin.

What amazes me is that so many people cannot see how companies like google and Microsoft have responded in a positive way to people's complaints, yet Apple owners refuse to acknowledge the faults let alone speak to Apple with their wallets.

Imagine how great a user upgradable retina MBP, Apple tv with dlna extetnal hdd support and retina iPad mini for $299 would be if they did?

ReanimationN
Nov 10, 2012, 12:53 AM
Forget it.

fins831
Nov 10, 2012, 12:54 PM
So quad core Qualcomm 1.5 GHz with 2GB ram is a small bump from 1 GB ram and Tegra 2 dual core?

Yes, because the OS doesn't use all of that, nor need it. I mean seriously, the RAM is impressive but the chip isn't.

Elit3
Nov 11, 2012, 01:30 AM
Yes, because the OS doesn't use all of that, nor need it. I mean seriously, the RAM is impressive but the chip isn't.

It is compared to the Tegra 2 and DUAL CORE A6 chip, mind you a lot of android phones use the same processor now days. I see what you mean :)

Elit3
Nov 11, 2012, 01:48 AM
I enjoy how things like poor screen resolution aka iPad mini or this screen lag aka iPhone 5 are minor things that people do not mind. But on any other non Apple device they are turned into unreadable laggy devices that are worthy of nothing more than the trash bin.

What amazes me is that so many people cannot see how companies like google and Microsoft have responded in a positive way to people's complaints, yet Apple owners refuse to acknowledge the faults let alone speak to Apple with their wallets.

Imagine how great a user upgradable retina MBP, Apple tv with dlna extetnal hdd support and retina iPad mini for $299 would be if they did?
It is quite amusing, ay. And people who say android is laggy must have used it around froyo, because Jellybean doesn't lag at 300 FPS

sotorious
Nov 11, 2012, 02:19 AM
It is quite amusing, ay. And people who say android is laggy must have used it around froyo, because Jellybean doesn't lag at 300 FPS

This is what is turning back onto android, first few smart phones were android loved everything but the lag it had. im anal about that even in games. Ever since project butter im ready!

tjl3
Nov 11, 2012, 09:04 AM

And how many people are on JB? I think project butter is one of the most important things Google has announced in Android, and it gets too little publicity.

Carriers and smartphone companies are doing a disservice to Google's Android by not speeding up and rolling out JB to the masses.

The first Android Phone I used (for work) was a Droid Incredible on Gingerbread, and my first impression was that it was garbage (100% due to the lag and lack of response).

It would go a long way in erasing the stigma that Android phones lag.

daveathall
Nov 11, 2012, 09:27 AM
Dont know if this has been posted before.

Looks like they will be ready for order sometime between now and Tuesday.

AndroidPolice: Is Google going to start shipping on the 13th or open pre-orders? In other words, when will the first customers be able to hold the new Nexuses in their paws?

Google PR Rep: They'll start shipping on that date.

AndroidPolice: Alright, thanks. Do you know when the pre-orders will start then?

Google PR Rep: Right now, it's "Notify me" and on 11/13 it will switch to available for order.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/10/google-clarifies-nexus-4-10-availability-orders-and-shipments-start-november-13th-no-pre-orders/

Vegastouch
Nov 11, 2012, 11:57 AM
And how many people are on JB? I think project butter is one of the most important things Google has announced in Android, and it gets too little publicity.

Carriers and smartphone companies are doing a disservice to Google's Android by not speeding up and rolling out JB to the masses.

The first Android Phone I used (for work) was a Droid Incredible on Gingerbread, and my first impression was that it was garbage (100% due to the lag and lack of response).

Yeah Gingerbrread was garbage. Im on ICS and it isnt laggy either and im sure JB is even better.

map1978
Nov 11, 2012, 12:01 PM
Anybody aware of this imessage problem?

http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/05/imessage-bug-traps-android-converters-personal-conversations-but-theres-a-fix/

I can't afford headaches after the switch to the Nexus 4 :mad:

spinedoc77
Nov 11, 2012, 12:10 PM
How are the Nexus line of phones for reception, headpiece and microphone clarity, etc? Even though I kind of hate the iphone, you have to admit it's call quality is pretty superb and I don't realize it unless I swap to say a Samsung phone for a couple of days. I'll assume Google has the highest quality, but wanted to hear from others who have used their phones.

onthecouchagain
Nov 11, 2012, 12:25 PM
How are the Nexus line of phones for reception, headpiece and microphone clarity, etc? Even though I kind of hate the iphone, you have to admit it's call quality is pretty superb and I don't realize it unless I swap to say a Samsung phone for a couple of days. I'll assume Google has the highest quality, but wanted to hear from others who have used their phones.

Wouldn't that depend more on your carrier?

But I'll offer my experience anyway: I'm a Galaxy Nexus owner on Tmobile, and call quality is great either via headpiece or speaker (both ear and loud speaker). The only time it isn't clear has to do with the carrier, like if I'm deep inside a building or something and my reception is obviously not ideal. Everywhere else where I get service, the quality has been great.

Samsung is notorious (I think? Not sure how widespread this is) but having reception issues with their devices. I haven't experienced it myself, per se. But regardless, the Nexus 4 is made by LG so it'll be a different story, for better or worse.

Hope that helped some.

spinedoc77
Nov 11, 2012, 12:27 PM

But I'll offer my experience anyway: I'm a Galaxy Nexus owner on Tmobile, and call quality is great either via headpiece or speaker (both ear and loud speaker). The only time it isn't clear has to do with the carrier, like if I'm deep inside a building or something and my reception is obviously not ideal. Everywhere else where I get service, the quality has been great.

Samsung is notorious (I think? Not sure how widespread this is) but having reception issues with their devices. I haven't experienced it myself, per se. But regardless, the Nexus 4 is made by LG so it'll be a different story, for better or worse.

Hope that helped some.

Thanks that helps. Yeah I would think part of the equation is the carrier, I'm on ATT but haven't had any issues with them over the years. I was more curious about how well the earpiece and microphone functioned, which you answered, that's good to know. Some of the samsungs have this funny issue where you have to kind of aim the earpiece just right or you can't hear very well, that's one reason I returned my Note 2.

SnowLeopard2008
Nov 11, 2012, 12:28 PM
I'm probably getting one for development purposes but maybe I'll use it for a normal work day and see if it can handle being my daily driver.

spinedoc77
Nov 11, 2012, 12:30 PM
Hmm, reading some reviews and seems like battery life is really bad.

onthecouchagain
Nov 11, 2012, 12:30 PM
Thanks that helps. Yeah I would think part of the equation is the carrier, I'm on ATT but haven't had any issues with them over the years. I was more curious about how well the earpiece and microphone functioned, which you answered, that's good to know. Some of the samsungs have this funny issue where you have to kind of aim the earpiece just right or you can't hear very well, that's one reason I returned my Note 2.

My only gripe with the loud speaker on the GN is that I wish it was louder. Many reviews say the Nexus 4's speaker is louder and an improvement over the GN. I hope so. A louder speaker will be especially relevant when using Navigation in the car.

Good luck. Do post impressions, good or bad, of the Nexus 4!

Vegastouch
Nov 11, 2012, 12:31 PM

Hope that helped some.

I would say no. My iPhone had great clarity during calls. My Vibrant wasnt as good and my GS3 is good. LG i have no idea how good their phones are but im going to find out...though a bit later. Perhaps in late December. Im really hoping they announce a 32GB version.

flopticalcube
Nov 11, 2012, 12:32 PM

Its a debatable point atm. Seems there are differing opinions.

spinedoc77
Nov 11, 2012, 12:39 PM
Its a debatable point atm. Seems there are differing opinions.

Yeah I can't believe the difference in the engadget review and the Verge review.

Engadget: crappy battery life, weird lags

Verge: awesome battery life, performance second to none

Weird, but they both agree (and I do too) lack of LTE kind of sucks. But I don't have LTE on my 4s either so I suppose it doesn't matter. I'd love to see the truth of the battery life though.

onthecouchagain
Nov 11, 2012, 12:54 PM
Yeah I can't believe the difference in the engadget review and the Verge review.

Engadget: crappy battery life, weird lags

Verge: awesome battery life, performance second to none

Weird, but they both agree (and I do too) lack of LTE kind of sucks. But I don't have LTE on my 4s either so I suppose it doesn't matter. I'd love to see the truth of the battery life though.

Probably the most thorough Nexus 4 review out there: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/07/google-nexus-4-review-the-beautifully-crafted-premium-flagship-phone-that-android-deserves/

It addresses almost everything, including the pre-released software that is wrecking havoc with consistency across different reviews.

Vitrum
Nov 11, 2012, 12:56 PM
In the italy video the guy stated that battery life was good and last him whole day, morning-work-home and battery still going.

If battery life turns out to be ****** its android problem and nothing to do with the device; seems thats the only problem with android.

Oletros
Nov 11, 2012, 12:57 PM
In the italy video

Can you link to that video?

map1978
Nov 11, 2012, 01:22 PM

those reviews are based on unofficial software running

plus battery life hasn't been bad on most of the reviews

spinedoc77
Nov 11, 2012, 01:31 PM
those reviews are based on unofficial software running

plus battery life hasn't been bad on most of the reviews

Good to hear. It's too bad that Engadget made such a huge deal about the battery life, and they didn't mention it was beta software. A lot of people trust them for reviews and it seems they slacked on those important points.

Vitrum
Nov 11, 2012, 01:42 PM
Can you link to that video?

Its in the other nexus 4 thread.

Oletros
Nov 11, 2012, 01:43 PM
Its in the other nexus 4 thread.

Thanks, looking for it :)

Elit3
Nov 12, 2012, 02:32 AM

very much agreed. And I think that Google will do more of this and not having any carrier locked phones ever again. I hope Samsung, HTC and the rest of the android OEM's start this too, and they need to update faster, like Samsung took 4 months to update the SGS3, because of TouchWiz UX.

Winnychan213
Nov 12, 2012, 03:14 AM
it doesn't look very good, but 1.5 quad core and 2 GB is really attractive, and it will probably get update faster than Samsung as well

Jibbajabba
Nov 12, 2012, 05:22 AM
Actually sold my IP4S Friday and wait for the release tomorrow.