Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Hi guys !

My brother is looking to jump in the smartphone world and is looking at android phones, currently he uses BB's but got tired of it :) i dont recommend him ios because i know it will limit hes uses plus will get him lockdown and i know in the future it will be a problem for him.

He was looking at the galaxy s3 but just now i saw the nexus 4 and the phone looks pretty legit, the sdcard "fail" is not a problem for him and of course lte is not something big in my country (still in testing); the biggest plus with the nexus 4 is the price ! When i told him about it he was very excited but only question about why it is cheaper and vs gs3 etc

Hoping for your inputs and of course to clarify about the price concern lol he really questions why these thing is so cheap vs the s3 wich cost here more than 500 usd.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Google's stance regarding the Nexus is that it wants the phone to be as widely available as possible.

As for features, the Nexus doesn't come with any additional software features like S Voice, S Cloud, etc. It's nothing but stock Android, which can be a plus or minus depending on usage. For example, some people don't want stock because it seems intimidating and it is a chore to get all the apps they may consider to be "basic". If I take Korea as an example, no subway map app, no navigation app, etc.

On the flip side, others like how they get a blank slate with the Nexus.

Hardware-wise, the two are neck to neck, IMO.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
Open >>> closed.

S4 pro >>> exynos 4

IPS >>> AMOLED

Google's premium design >>> Samsung's plastic design

2x cheaper >>> 2x more expensive

Google software support >>> Samsung's

Full official CM support >>> most likely will not get the CM11

First to get Google's new android version >>> months to get it.

Software buttons >>> physical / capacitive buttons

Nexus 4 >>> sgs3

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Open >>> closed.

S4 pro >>> exynos 4

IPS >>> AMOLED

Nexus 4 >>> sgs3

Expandable storage/apps to SD card>>>>>>>>no SD card slot
Removable battery>>>>>>>>>non removable battery
LTE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HSPA
Larger display>>>>>>>>>>>>smaller display
Samsung phones>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LG phones
S3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>nexus 4

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
From a personal perspective, the Nexus 4 wins for me all due to my love of stock Android.

Samsung do add some nice bells and whistles to their TouchWiz experience (which has improved immensely over the years) but I do prefer the swift updates that the Nexus will bring. The price helps the Nexus' case as well.

Hardware wise, the Nexus could have the edge (apart from expandable storage or LTE).

I'm saying go Nexus.:)

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Open >>> closed.

S4 pro >>> exynos 4

IPS >>> AMOLED

Nexus 4 >>> sgs3

This. Also, stock 4.2 > TouchWiz

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
The difference in these are simple for me. With the Nexus 4 you get stock and droid with instant updates from google. It comes with 4.2. The S3 doesn't even have 4.1 in the US. This trend will probably continue.

The screen is way better IMO on the N4. I personally can see pixels on the S3 and I hate that. I returned the S3 for this and it's cheap feeling materials. The S4 has neither of these problems.

Also if you get an unlocked device like the N4 then you can switch phones and plans whenever you want and potentially lower your monthly phone cost.

The only advantage I see of the S3 is removable storage and removable battery both which I don't need.

Did I mention how cool the wireless charging orb is?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The difference in these are simple for me. With the Nexus 4 you get stock and droid with instant updates from google. It comes with 4.2. The S3 doesn't even have 4.1 in the US. This trend will probably continue.

The screen is way better IMO on the N4. I personally can see pixels on the S3 and I hate that. I returned the S3 for this and it's cheap feeling materials. The S4 has neither of these problems.

Also if you get an unlocked device like the N4 then you can switch phones and plans whenever you want and potentially lower your monthly phone cost.

The only advantage I see of the S3 is removable storage and removable battery both which I don't need.

Did I mention how cool the wireless charging orb is?

IMO, that is the most important thing to consider. If I were buying an android it would have to be the nexus directly from google. You will be lucky to get 1 update if you buy a carrier phone.....6 months later. How long has the s3 been out? and it still does not officially have JB

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Google's stance regarding the Nexus is that it wants the phone to be as widely available as possible.

As for features, the Nexus doesn't come with any additional software features like S Voice, S Cloud, etc.
It has Google Now, which sort of makes the lack of S Voice insignificant.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

These are the only 2 areas the SG3 beats the N4

I'd suggest the build quality of the LG is much better because it doesn't have a removable battery. The the usage estimates for the N4 are pretty exceptional--no need for a removable battery

Yup, 0.1" larger, yet has inferior screen (IPS far better than SAMOLED) and a lower resolution than the N4.

If anything this is personal preference. Until recently, I though build quality on both was pretty poor.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
just to add to the removable battery thing. How many people are actually taking their batteries out? I know one person who has a bigger battery and it makes his phone look awful

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
just to add to the removable battery thing. How many people are actually taking their batteries out? I know one person who has a bigger battery and it makes his phone look awful

Heh I was asking my co-worker about that because he got super worried about his next phone not having a removable battery. He couldn't think of a time he took it out, except when the phone froze.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Just a little thought about LTE missing on the Nexus 4. How often are you all on wifi? Because I'm on it 90% of the time. No exaggeration.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Just a little thought about LTE missing on the Nexus 4. How often are you all on wifi? Because I'm on it 90% of the time. No exaggeration.

likewise...the only time I am not on wifi is when I am driving. Even if I am shopping at the mall I am on wifi.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Outside of the house, not often anymore, mostly because LTE speeds blow away whatever is available as far as public wifi. In fact, it was pretty much the same when I was only using HSPA. At least around here in Tampa, most of the publicly available wifi is pretty poor--lucky to get 1-3 Mbps down. Also, not too keen about open wifi and lack of security that comes with it.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
29277556.jpg

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

I don't do it that often these days because I don't use my phone as much so I haven't needed to but I still carry around a fully charged battery with me. While it's not a deal breaker for me, it would have been nice if the N4 had a removable battery. I still plan on getting it though.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
I don't do it that often these days because I don't use my phone as much so I haven't needed to but I still carry around a fully charged battery with me. While it's not a deal breaker for me, it would have been nice if the N4 had a removable battery. I still plan on getting it though.

I would agree, but as long as the battery lasts like they say it should, I'm good. It's when you have a device (cough Galaxy Note) that eats through battery where you need a removable one and it becomes more of a necessity. It would have been nice, but I'll take a non-removable batter over better design.

To Sum it up for the OP, IMO, if LTE and Touchwiz (+Samsung goodies like Smart Stay and S-Voice) don't do anything for you, the Nexus 4 is better in every way spec wise. I've had quite a few LG things and they have worked great!

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
S3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>nexus 4

No, Samsung phones aren't better than LG phones.

Android 4.2 >>>>>> Admroid 4.1
He said if LTE isn't a available
Beautiful glass design >>> cheap plastic
Bigger isn't always better, it has a higher screen resolution
Soft keys >>>>> capacitive keys
Pure android >>>>>> touch wiz
320 ppi >>>>> 306 ppi
As for the SD card slot and removable battery, it depends on the user. We've seen millions of iPhone users who like their phones without them

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Seems the N4 is the winner, i doubt carriers here will offer it lol so hes hoping amazon have it available as soon it releases if not either way whe are going to the states for the holidays.

Im not jokinh guys the price on contract of the s3 was the same of the off-contract price in the N4 lol thats why he was "worry".

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Seems the N4 is the winner, i doubt carriers here will offer it lol so hes hoping amazon have it available as soon it releases if not either way whe are going to the states for the holidays.

Im not jokinh guys the price on contract of the s3 was the same of the off-contract price in the N4 lol thats why he was "worry".

No, its not the winner, depends on the user. No LTE, SD card slot and removable batteries are huge issues for many people. Also, many people like myself love the features that TW brings over vanilla Android that you are just going to run a skin or launcher over anyways.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Outside of the house, not often anymore, mostly because LTE speeds blow away whatever is available as far as public wifi. In fact, it was pretty much the same when I was only using HSPA. At least around here in Tampa, most of the publicly available wifi is pretty poor--lucky to get 1-3 Mbps down. Also, not too keen about open wifi and lack of security that comes with it.

Oh I understand that I meant at work and at home. Also if I switch to t mobile I will get 42Mbps speeds and unlimited. IMO unlimited still really fast speeds >>>> limited super fast speeds.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
I dont want to be in debates but removable battery cant be huge, iphone would have never sold the way it is if it was important same with sdcard.

I will love to see numbers with GB model of specific phones sold more, i bet the lower price win.

About lte maybe it will be important when is wide available here but for now is novelty, whe live in a island :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.