Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joetwizzy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
I am after printing on my iOS device, on the move, from my van. I have read some of the discussions regarding this and the best solution at the moment seems to be buy an inverter a mobile router and a airprint printer.

Is there a better solution?

If not can anyone confirm a good mobile router that has a long wifi range, or the ability to attach an antenna, so I can use it from a customers home to the van.

Thanks.

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
You can also try out google print; You'll need a google account, free chrome browser to setup google print and of course, the system to which the printer is attached needs to be connected to the network and available.

I don't know the details around the data privacy, it can checked on their website.

paronga

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
Australia, Melbourne
some devices support air print natively.

so maybe use one of those, and then turn personal hotspot on when you want to print, the printer connects to your local iOS device created by personal hotspot then print.

only need to turn it on when needed. Still need an inverter. Or get a 12 power supply is possible?

be careful with laser printers though.
They can use a LOT of juice to warm up

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
You can also try out google print; You'll need a google account, free chrome browser to setup google print and of course, the system to which the printer is attached needs to be connected to the network and available.

I don't know the details around the data privacy, it can checked on their website.

Personally found this flaky as anything; I think I got it to work once on my HP. Gave up and use the email to print functionality instead when I'm away from the house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.