Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joemama1694

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
I have my desktop icons in a very specific place. My desktop view settings are:

Icon size - 48x48
Grid Space - Max
Text Size - 10
Label Position - Bottom
Show Item Info - Unchecked
Show Item Preview - Checked
Sort By - None

I replaced the folder icon default picture with a custom 65x65 picture i copied from gimp using this technique http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GlKw-2oxwM&feature=related

The picture I was editing in gimp is the same picture that is my desktop background. I took small selection clip of the whole picture copied them and then pasted them as the icon to a folder on my desktop. I then moved the folder to the place on the desktop picture that matched the selection clip made the folder icon. If you you look at the attachment you can probably see what I am trying to explain.

I want a way to lock these icons in place without ->

1) Preventing me from putting new files on my desktop
2) Disrupting the general function of the computer

I want to be able to turn lock on and then go about my business and say download something to my desktop (that something will be locked where ever it "lands" (maybe there would be some sort default download screen postion or something)) Then be able to unlock the icons and move that something to where ever I please and then re-lock it afterwards.

MacBook Pro
13-inch, Mid 2012
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-30 at 4.27.09543 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-30 at 4.27.09543 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 352
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.