PDA

View Full Version : The Death of the iPod Mini... big mistake.

furryrabidbunny
Sep 7, 2005, 03:23 PM
No more colorful, fun mp3 players from Apple. Instead we are stuck with a white or black bland player with a color screen. Not to mention the horrible price point... yesterday you could buy an extra two gigs for 199, with the cooler case. Glad my first gen mini is still truckin with poorer battery life.

Lacero
Sep 7, 2005, 03:29 PM
Apple probably realized creating too many colors creates inventory problems. Silver minis probably outsold all the other colors 5 - 1 and so it was probably a marketing and financial decision to drop the colors. At least we have black, which will be a big seller.

miloblithe
Sep 7, 2005, 03:36 PM
I think more than anything else Apple is trying to avoid standing still (and therefore being an easier target). By introducing a new player it makes it harder for competitors to catch up. I agree that the mini was nice, and that the colors were an attraction, but it's not like Apple can't reintroduce colors in the future. Keep changing.

In the long run though, I think Apple realizes that iPods will become less and less important as mobile phonese become effective music players. Dominating that market is the real competition in years to come.

the_freddinator
Sep 7, 2005, 03:39 PM
I'm sure Apple, along w/ other companies, will come out w/ skin's galore just to milk people a little more. Business-wise, I agree that it probably would've been a good idea to keep the array of colors, but at the same time, you're gonna get people spending way too much money for a skin. Don't believe me? Belkin was selling y-cables (tagged w/ the iPod name) for 15 dollars at my local circuit city early this year. I don't think that Apple will regret this decision that much.

ipacmm
I think that Apple will reintroduce the iPod Mini when the new normal iPods come out.

furryrabidbunny
on thing to comment on the feature on the ipod that i would like to see is faceplates. I own a green mini, so i have some individualism there, but people owning a nano or ipod have white (or black) and are faced with cases to set them apart. Why not take from the phone and develop an ipod with faceplates.

the_freddinator
Sep 7, 2005, 03:42 PM
on thing to comment on the feature on the ipod that i would like to see is faceplates. I own a green mini, so i have some individualism there, but people owning a nano or ipod have white (or black) and are faced with cases to set them apart. Why not take from the phone and develop an ipod with faceplates.

I think faceplate's would be nice- but wouldn't sell as well as skins. People like skins because they:
a) set their iPod apart
b) Protect the iPod

All of us are well aware that iPods scratch like none-other. So I don't think faceplates will be coming any time soon. Even if they did come out, how would they attach to one's ipod? you can't very readily attach it in to the headphone jack and the dataport...

QCassidy352
Sep 7, 2005, 03:42 PM
I think that Apple will reintroduce the iPod Mini when the new normal iPods come out.

I highly doubt it. You really think they would discontinue a line just to bring it back a short time later? What would be the sense in that? No, nano is the new mini.

mwpeters8182
Sep 7, 2005, 03:49 PM
Another reason that getting rid of the mini might not be the best idea is the fact that it now costs $50 more to get a 4GB player. I really like the look of the nano, but I don't know if I'd want a 2GB player.

MP

furryrabidbunny
Sep 7, 2005, 04:01 PM
Faceplates could do as good a job as skins... maybe better if done right. I had that old t-mobile workhorse phone the nokia 3595. The Faceplates for those actually covered the LCD with plastic, so you would scratch up your faceplate and not the LCD. This is also my speculation on the mini: it was the best iPod in one's hands, its shape and size was perfect. As microdrives advance we will see the mini formfactor adapted as the standard iPod. I'm not saying it will feature four colors or other odd mini features (i can't think of any but color body right now), but it will feature that great feel, metal body, perfect hand fitting form-factor.

solvs
Sep 7, 2005, 04:15 PM
No reason they can't use those new 8GB mini drives in some other iPod-type device.

ipacmm
Sep 7, 2005, 04:29 PM
I highly doubt it. You really think they would discontinue a line just to bring it back a short time later? What would be the sense in that? No, nano is the new mini.

True, after thinking about it, you are right; I doubt that they will bring it back.
Hopefully we will see some different colors for the new nano.

jiv3turkey748
Sep 7, 2005, 04:58 PM
i really like the ipod nano, but i do agree that the colors of the minis probaly really helped their sales, because it made them stand out more

lpshean
Sep 7, 2005, 08:16 PM
What makes me think that the iPod nano would eventually replace the original iPod like how the iPod photo did?

Think about it.

rlsrox@mac.com
Sep 7, 2005, 08:25 PM
Getting rid of the mini is problems on more than just one level. If I were over at inCase I'd be SCREAMING right now, because they just developed five thousand cases and accessories for the Mini and with it gone, they've got to scramble now to make user accessories for yet ANOTHER model. It was bad enough with the shuffle, but every time they do this it's another accessory nightmare.

I think plenty of the colored minis sold, and the smaller they go, the more nervous it makes some people. I have a 60 photo, a pink mini, a shuffle (a gift, I never use it) and honestly, as cute as the nano is, it's expensive and I'd seriously worry about losing it. At least the shuffle has the little top that you can use with a lanyard or something. I seriously see people losing the Nano all over the place--it's TINY for such a major item, I don't know...I imagine eBay is about to go nuts with pricing on a Mini...I'd be all over picking up the ones that go on sale at The Apple Store. :eek:

Sun Baked
Sep 7, 2005, 08:37 PM
And you have to pay an extra $29 for colored silicone nano Tubes...

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/841/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/ma241ga_125.jpg

Don't know if this is the step up from socks.

mrzeve
Sep 7, 2005, 09:23 PM
Well the minis are still online: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=iPodmini

But it doesnt really work.

pdpfilms
Sep 7, 2005, 09:30 PM
I honestly don't think this will do anything bad to apple's image or sales. These new iPod nano's are exactly what people who buy the mini are looking for, and more. TINY, 1000 songs, look and function like an iPod... and are color with more features than a normal iPod.

EJBasile
Sep 7, 2005, 09:36 PM
I think their mistake is that they downsized.

Before:
4gb and 6gb Mini

Now:
2gb and 4gb

I really wish they had a 6gb. I think the price is a little steep too. I think it would be better if the 2gb was $149 and the 4gb was $199. I would also get rid of the shuffles, or just keep the 1gb and sell it for $99. I have yet to meet someone who owns a shuffle.

I like the black and white. Notice how apple had the colorful G3 iMacs but after the G4 they switched to white.

antrabbit
Sep 7, 2005, 09:39 PM
It's only a 1000 songs if you have have them at 128 kbits/sec I have all mine ripped at 192 kbits/sec which is why I went for a 6gb mini so I could still get 1000 songs on it. I didn't need to carry any more than that around, but less would be annoying.

tdhurst
Sep 7, 2005, 09:44 PM
Getting rid of the mini is problems on more than just one level. If I were over at inCase I'd be SCREAMING right now, because they just developed five thousand cases and accessories for the Mini and with it gone, they've got to scramble now to make user accessories for yet ANOTHER model. It was bad enough with the shuffle, but every time they do this it's another accessory nightmare.

I think plenty of the colored minis sold, and the smaller they go, the more nervous it makes some people. I have a 60 photo, a pink mini, a shuffle (a gift, I never use it) and honestly, as cute as the nano is, it's expensive and I'd seriously worry about losing it. At least the shuffle has the little top that you can use with a lanyard or something. I seriously see people losing the Nano all over the place--it's TINY for such a major item, I don't know...I imagine eBay is about to go nuts with pricing on a Mini...I'd be all over picking up the ones that go on sale at The Apple Store. :eek:

Yeah...I'm sure that InCase is pissed because they have to design another top selling item...how dare apple expand their product line!

joepunk
Sep 7, 2005, 09:51 PM
I too think that the price of the iPod Nano is a bit to steep. Especially since they are replacing slightly larger capacity/lower cost Minis.

I don't know if the mini's were scratch-able like their big brothers but I hope that the Nano are not as scratch-able.

Sun Baked
Sep 7, 2005, 09:55 PM
If it's polycarbonate (which is Apple's preferred plastic) it'll scratch real easy.

Especially with a shiny finish.

But this also makes it a whole lot easier to sell 3rd party covers.

rockthecasbah
Sep 7, 2005, 09:58 PM
It's only a 1000 songs if you have have them at 128 kbits/sec I have all mine ripped at 192 kbits/sec which is why I went for a 6gb mini so I could still get 1000 songs on it. I didn't need to carry any more than that around, but less would be annoying.
see the thing is that most people i know can't even fill an iPod mini with the amount of music they KNOW let alone would have the money to buy...I'd say the majority of mini owners carry their players about 1/2 to about 2/3 full. Thus for that marketshare you really don't need more than 1000...if you do then go with the regular iPod and you'll be just as happy. People will buy the Nano for the sheer style and size, even if there are better valued players out. Im sure as flash becomes even larger capacity and cheaper, the Nano will again be 4gb and 6-8 or whatever. Right now its the sexy look that will sell them, not capacity.

As for the accessories issue, BOO HOO. How many cases do you need for an iPod for christ's sake. There are so many fourth gen. iPod cases i would lose my mind if i had to choose one...the accessories will be added as time goes by, but i am positive that you won't have to wait very long to get an extra piece of crap for your Nano..

Spanky Deluxe
Sep 8, 2005, 05:15 AM
Hi,

I read about the new iPod Nano last night and I couldn't help but feel pissed off that they've cancelled the Mini. The Mini only had a one year shelf life and will now look old. If there was a new model of the mini out that still looked roughly like the older one then the Rev As and Bs then it wouldn't be as bad but as it is there is nothing out there that looks anything like the minis. The Nano looks like a squished iPod Photo, the Shuffle looks like a super-squished iPod Photo and now nothing looks like a Mini.
Of course I can understand why they cancelled the Mini - a lot of people would rather have bought a Mini with a higher capacity for a less amount of money and they'd rather people buy Nanos for more. That doesn't stop me feeling angry though. I bought my Mini four months ago thinking that since they were so popular they would last a while - maybe even outlive its big brother but now its old.
Don't get me wrong, I think the Nano looks great. I don't think it looks as good as the Minis did and I'd rather it were wider and shorter with a larget click wheel and screen but the thin-ness of it is rather cool.

Phil

Lacero
Sep 8, 2005, 05:28 AM
I read about the new iPod Nano last night and I couldn't help but feel pissed off that they've cancelled the Mini.It's all a name game. The regular iPods will get a size reduction comparable to the mini in January. Apple is positioning themselves to introduce such a smaller iPod. I see it coming from 20 miles away. Just wait.

orkle
Sep 8, 2005, 06:04 AM
I bought my Mini four months ago thinking that since they were so popular they would last a while - maybe even outlive its big brother but now its old.

It still works right? :rolleyes:

cube
Sep 8, 2005, 06:56 AM
I am waiting for an iPod micro with 0.85" or 0.7" disk and FireWire (and I'll keep on waiting until they add Bluetooth).

rosalindavenue
Sep 8, 2005, 07:22 AM
It's all a name game. The regular iPods will get a size reduction comparable to the mini in January. Apple is positioning themselves to introduce such a smaller iPod. I see it coming from 20 miles away. Just wait.

I agree 100%-- smaller on the basic ipod will be the next move. However, it looks like that upgrade will still have to be hard drive based. The flash memory prices are not dropping at the rate they once were-- I understand that the 4GB card in the nano is over $200 alone. At that rate, it may be a few years yet before I can replace my 30 gig 3G with a 20-30 gig nano.

ReanimationLP
Sep 8, 2005, 07:25 AM
*holds a funeral for the Mini*

Bye Bye Pal, you'll be missed. :(

Well, now everyone can score a killer deal on them :)

gwuMACaddict
Sep 8, 2005, 07:31 AM
i still love the mini- the anodized aluminum is fantastic. shame they didn't have a color screen. i imagine they'll become a bit of a collectable now.

tdhurst
Sep 8, 2005, 09:17 AM
Hi,

I read about the new iPod Nano last night and I couldn't help but feel pissed off that they've cancelled the Mini. The Mini only had a one year shelf life and will now look old. If there was a new model of the mini out that still looked roughly like the older one then the Rev As and Bs then it wouldn't be as bad but as it is there is nothing out there that looks anything like the minis. The Nano looks like a squished iPod Photo, the Shuffle looks like a super-squished iPod Photo and now nothing looks like a Mini.
That doesn't stop me feeling angry though. I bought my Mini four months ago thinking that since they were so popular they would last a while - maybe even outlive its big brother but now its old.
Phil

How does ANY of what you said affect your mini? It still has great battery life, still looks good but just won't be available anymore from the Apple Store.
It seems to me you bought the mini as a fashion item and are now pissed off that there is something new and cooler out. GET OVER IT. There will ALWAYS be something new and better out in the electronics world...
Oh, and you can probably fetch QUITE a good resale price on your mini now that it's discontinued...ever thought of that?

Cloudgazer
Sep 8, 2005, 09:54 AM
I was on the verge of buying an iPod this weekend, and now they release the nano, which puts a dent in my plans.

I'd never considered the mini, simply cause i didn't like the style of it.
I certainly don't like the colour options.
I'm actually amazed at how many people do like em though.

I still think the 1 gen iPod witht h wheel that looked like a speaker was the best design ever!

I also wanted some serious storage capacity, 20 or 3ogb would be great.

Now, I'm confused....

The nano is just like a regular ipod, but cheaper, pity about the storage size, but do I really need 30gb of music on hand all time?

afterr eading this thread, I'll definately have to relook at the mini, simply cause the price is now going to be very attractive.

decisions.. decisions....

AoWolf
Sep 8, 2005, 10:49 AM
I think they did the right thing the mini had a good life. But I think most people bought it because it looked good had the iPod name and was cheeper then the big ones. The nano has all that just with less value. But it won't be to long till they update it with more memory.

the_freddinator
Sep 8, 2005, 03:36 PM
I'm a high school student in a wealthy area-so as one would expect, there is an abundance of iPods floating around. Here's how I looking at this nano:

1) There are people that like the iPod mini because of the fashion aspect- they aren't going to come close to filling 20 gigs. Ever.
2) There are people that aren't going to come close to filling 20 gigs and hate the mini because they want the iPod look.
3) There are people that have sizeable libraries but don't like the ipod look/reliability
4) There are people that have sizeable libraries and are attracted by the ipod look.

At this point Group 1 has already been reached (for the most part- some lag behind here and there.) It's been over a year since the mini was released so they've had christmas and birthdays to get their desired mini. THEY'VE GOTTEN IT ALREADY.

Group 2 hasn't bought in to the mini and they aren't going to. Now, if they have something SMALLER with the iPod look, they're going to jump on it come Christmas time or after the first MP of school (a gift for good grades).

Group 3 doesn't count.

Group 4 doesnt' count either. They've already got their iPods- and if not, they're still not buying a nano.

The target group right now is those who want a compact(er) mp3 player but didn't like the mini. The only reason member of Group 1 wouldn't have a mini is the price. But Apple would rather shut down than lower mini prices AGAIN and introduce DIFFERENT size denominations. The mini became the most buyable it could after it switched to 4 and 6 gig w/ altered prices. It's time for something new.

I think that you guys are underestimating the genius of the Apple. If you're able to take a (relatively) old idea (mp3 players) and TAKE OVER the market from NOTHING, I'm going to trust that they're making a smart business decision rather than faceless figures here on Macrumors.

Elrond39
Sep 11, 2005, 02:19 AM
It's all a name game. The regular iPods will get a size reduction comparable to the mini in January. Apple is positioning themselves to introduce such a smaller iPod. I see it coming from 20 miles away. Just wait.

I agree with what you say about the size, but I daresay it will be before the Holiday buying-season. Since I saw the Nano, I've been waiting for the "full-size" iPod to become, well, less sizeable. What would thoroughly eliminate the competition than a player with 20GB in such a small casing, not to mention that Apple could consider colors for the iPod. The fact that ThinkSecret mentioned a switch from white to anodized aluminum for the iPod makes so much more sense after the release of the Nano.

donniedarko
Sep 11, 2005, 02:35 AM
I bought a nano... form factor is killer. Shows album artwork- Its replacing my shuffle and mini which I sold tonight which paod for my nano and left me an extra 20$- The interface is killer, as I found the shuffle to random- I expect them to come out with more iPods and as I am on my 4th being my nano, its easy to sell my old ones so the dollars I recoup make it make sense to get a new one- Not about need, all desire-

After G
Sep 11, 2005, 02:57 AM
I think what is going to happen is that full sized iPods are going to be introduced with Mini-type shells. I mean metal usually means professional in the Apple line-up - metal Powerbooks, metal G5s. Sounds about right to me.

I think this is another reason that Apple has the Nano now. So Apple can make a 5G iPod with "metal" as a feature and not have it seem like copying the Minis too much.

Elrond39
Sep 11, 2005, 06:27 AM
I think what is going to happen is that full sized iPods are going to be introduced with Mini-type shells. I mean metal usually means professional in the Apple line-up - metal Powerbooks, metal G5s. Sounds about right to me.

I think this is another reason that Apple has the Nano now. So Apple can make a 5G iPod with "metal" as a feature and not have it seem like copying the Minis too much.

right on the money, imho. (small note, though: "metal" should be anodized aluminum)

flyfish29
Sep 11, 2005, 07:24 AM
So by now you would think people would realize Apple knows what the heck they are doing with product design decisions. There have been a few major blunders by Apple with this area but not many in recent management. The biggest I think was the decision to put DVD drives in instead of CD burners. Back on topic- the Nano is the best change they could have made. There is a reason they don't come out with a 4 and 6 and it probably doesn't have to do with flash drive size (although it could) I would think it has more to do with the fact that if they did the product line could not be updated as easily in 4 -8 months when it starts getting stagnet. Same thing with colors- go no colors right now, then maybe add colors again in 12 months to update the line and provide more excitement over the product. I know I would have bought one of these over my shuffle and it will by my next purchase but will probably wait until a 6 comes out just because I already have a shuffle.

Apple always has reasons they do or don't do things and most of the time they are marketing based decisions as they should be. You never want technology to limit decision making if you can help it. Marketing is what makes your products sell and makes the company succeed. Way to go Apple.

Also, remember, as people's collections grow considerably there will still be a sizeable market for the larger regular iPod's and they will also probably keep the personalized iPods in that line as well (ie, Harry Potter, U2, etc.)

Jopling
Sep 11, 2005, 09:16 AM
Hi,

Of course I can understand why they cancelled the Mini - a lot of people would rather have bought a Mini with a higher capacity for a less amount of money and they'd rather people buy Nanos for more. That doesn't stop me feeling angry though. I bought my Mini four months ago thinking that since they were so popular they would last a while - maybe even outlive its big brother but now its old.
Don't get me wrong, I think the Nano looks great. I don't think it looks as good as the Minis did and I'd rather it were wider and shorter with a larget click wheel and screen but the thin-ness of it is rather cool.

Phil

You shouldn't be buying producucts because they are popular and help you fit in. Tool!

tdhurst
Sep 11, 2005, 09:23 AM
You shouldn't be buying producucts because they are popular and help you fit in. Tool!

Well said!

Quick question...now that the mini is no longer being sold, does that automatically mean it no longer works? Or that it's obsolete?

Answer: HECK NO!

Welcome to the world of technology, where anything and everything will soon be replaced by a newer, faster, smaller model.

That said...while I really would like a nano, I look at it as a pure luxury item...disk size is too small to be a real back up, and it just doesn't have the effectiveness of a shuffle (used as a thumb drive). As the past owner of a shuffle, mini, 3G iPod and now a 4G photo version, I can honestly say the nano doesn't quite have the flexibility the others do.

However...damn, it is cool looking!

devilot
Sep 11, 2005, 09:54 AM
If it's polycarbonate (which is Apple's preferred plastic) it'll scratch real easy.

Especially with a shiny finish.

But this also makes it a whole lot easier to sell 3rd party covers.I also think it's an easy 'neon' sign that screams, "Apple." But I still can't really see the papa bear iPods getting anodized metallic finishes simply because 1) they've kept it this way for quite awhile now (which isn't really indicative, I know), and 2)the new nanos look so similar to the iPod that we know so well.

Chupa Chupa
Sep 11, 2005, 06:23 PM
Apple Stores this weekend...people lined up to by two and three nanos. Amazon...#10 best seller. This solely on word of mouth. Apple hasn't spent a dime on print or TV advertising yet. Just imagine when that starts up. Wall Street firms bumping up their projected earnings for Apple this quarter now. Apple just hit a new 52 week high on Friday. So explain in more detail this big mistake Apple is making that you speak of. I don't understand. All I see is everyone going ga-ga over the nano unlike any iPod ever released to date.

Flowbee
Sep 11, 2005, 06:46 PM
Apple Stores this weekend...people lined up to by two and three nanos. Amazon...#10 best seller. This solely on word of mouth. Apple hasn't spent a dime on print or TV advertising yet. Just imagine when that starts up.

The nano TV commercial can be seen at:
http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/ads/480.html

...currently playing on a TV near you.

runninmac
Sep 11, 2005, 08:28 PM
hasn't spent a dime on print or TV advertising yet. Just imagine when that starts

Um they have... The advertisments on tv. One on the back of the bussness section of the USA today. I was browsing websites today and guess what... I saw 4 iPod nano adds. But still word of mouth is incredible. I was at my cross country meet yesterday showed it to everyone I know of 3 people that were going to the mall to go and get one and EVERYONE who saw it wanted it.

runninmac
Sep 11, 2005, 08:30 PM
Group 4 doesnt' count either. They've already got their iPods- and if not, they're still not buying a nano.

Im a highschool group 4 and I got one. but then again im not the day-to-day consumer when it comes to apple products.

chucknorris
Sep 11, 2005, 08:38 PM
Another reason that getting rid of the mini might not be the best idea is the fact that it now costs $50 more to get a 4GB player. I really like the look of the nano, but I don't know if I'd want a 2GB player.

MP

Be sure that you, or anybody else who frequents this forum are not the target market for the Nano.

They are for people who are dazzled by the small size, undeniably good looks, and the fact that they can hold 1000 songs (! ;). That's to say Nanos are for the average consumer with disposable income.

With the Nano, Apple significantly upped the "cool" factor of the iPod, and created something that people who had previously been satisfied with their Minis will flock to buy.

840quadra
Sep 11, 2005, 09:36 PM
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/843/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/sd_title_0804.gif (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/72502/wo/qg4rhsoaGb1k389cw822NnSKcS4/0.0.15.1.0.6.63.0.0.0.0.0.0.3.1.1.0?106,53)

Apple Refurbished Goods (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/72502/wo/qg4rhsoaGb1k389cw822NnSKcS4/0.0.15.1.0.6.63.0.0.0.0.0.0.3.1.1.0?106,53)

Refurbished iPod mini 4GB - Silver
Holds up to 1,000 songs
Up to 18 Hours Battery Life
3.6 ounces
2.0 x 3.6 x 0.5 inches
Belt Clip
Apple Earphones
USB 2.0 cable
Learn More
Save 11% off the original price
Original price: $199.00
Your price: $179.00
Estimated Ship:
1-2 business days
Free Shipping

Refurbished iPod mini 4GB - Blue
Holds up to 1,000 songs
3.6 ounces
2.0 x 3.6 x 0.5 inches
Belt Clip
Apple Earphones
USB 2.0 cable
Learn More
Estimated Ship:
1-2 business days
Free Shipping

Refurbished iPod mini 4GB - Pink
Holds up to 1,000 songs
3.6 ounces
2.0 x 3.6 x 0.5 inches
Belt Clip
Apple Earphones
USB 2.0 cable
Learn More
Estimated Ship:
1-2 business days
Free Shipping

Refurbished iPod mini 6GB - Silver
Holds up to 1,500 songs
3.6 ounces
2.0 x 3.6 x 0.5 inches
Belt Clip
Apple Earphones
USB 2.0 cable
Learn More
Save 13% off the original price
Original price: $249.00
Your price: $219.00
Estimated Ship:
1-2 business days
Free Shipping

Refurbished iPod mini 6GB - Blue
Holds up to 1,500 songs
3.6 ounces
2.0 x 3.6 x 0.5 inches
Belt Clip
Apple Earphones
USB 2.0 cable
Learn More
Estimated Ship:
1-2 business days
Free Shipping

Refurbished iPod mini 6GB - Pink
Holds up to 1,500 songs
3.6 ounces
2.0 x 3.6 x 0.5 inches
Belt Clip
Apple Earphones
USB 2.0 cable
Learn More
Estimated Ship:
1-2 business days
Free Shipping

AppleCare Protection Plan for iPod
extends the 90 days of complimentary support and one-year warranty on your iPod to up to two years of world-class support and service.
Learn More
Price: $59.00
Estimated Ship:
Within 24 hours
Free Shipping

840quadra
Sep 11, 2005, 09:47 PM
14 hour battery life is nothing to scoff at.

It will be nice to go on a road trip and not have to have the ipod plugged into the cigarette lighter, and or have it hard wired in my car.

I like my simple ipod setup I have in my cars, I just need to plug it into the front of my stereo, and my ipod rests in the center console of my car where I control it from. It isn't hard to reach down and hit a button, or even pick the ipod up to look at the screen (at road level) so I can monitor traffic while I change playlists, or songs. Having the nano will mean that I don't need to have my power cord along on day trips anymore.

prp134
Sep 12, 2005, 01:42 AM
Well I dunno about you guys, but I LOVE the Nano!!!!!!!!! I just seen it at the store yesterday and Im going to replace my boring ipod mini :D this Nano is way cooler than the Mini, oh yeah just to touch on the storage capacity, I have a couple of friends that have iPods the HUGE ones and they havent even reached their capacity, I had a Mini and I was never able to fill it completely not even half way so the capacity issues is not a problem for me.

YAy! Nano and now the wait for the Macintels...... :eek:

ReanimationLP
Sep 13, 2005, 08:08 AM
Refurbed iPod minis can be had for 160 on Apples Refurb site. :eek:

Dagless
Sep 13, 2005, 09:52 AM
apparently its cool to downgrade. mobile phones got nice and small (maybe in some cases too small) but grew to giant proportions with 3G rearing its ugly head. then along came UMD; lower resolutions, costing more, restricted to small screen etc over DVD.

nah. this happens all the time now. we don't want progress, seemingly. we want to pay more for less.

all they needed to do was stick a colour screen in the Mini range. thats all they needed. it'd be cheaper, the battery would last longer. i like the Nano. i commend the team who developed and designed it. but its no Mini :(

the_freddinator
Sep 13, 2005, 03:07 PM
Well I dunno about you guys, but I LOVE the Nano!!!!!!!!! I just seen it at the store yesterday and Im going to replace my boring ipod mini :D this Nano is way cooler than the Mini, oh yeah just to touch on the storage capacity, I have a couple of friends that have iPods the HUGE ones and they havent even reached their capacity, I had a Mini and I was never able to fill it completely not even half way so the capacity issues is not a problem for me.

YAy! Nano and now the wait for the Macintels...... :eek:

Not everyone is like your friends. The functionality of a large-capacity iPod is not only that you can hold 20k songs, but at the same time, you can back up information to it, use it as a portable hard drive, etc. People commenting on the size on this forum are for the most part not quite as concerned with what's 'new' and 'in' but rather the functionality and reliability of the device. The Nano having a 2/4 gig flash drive raises an eyebrow. (Most) people can come to the quick realization that this is for the most part an accesory. Sure, you could argue that the large-capacity ipods are accesories, but they're much more useful accessories than the new Nano.

I for one have used my iPod as a portable drive- much less now than before because I've run in to loads of iPod problems. but at the same time, I have 11 gigs of music (and album art).

In short: The functionality of the Nano is not nearly as useful (for some people) as the regular ipod line, and not quite as useful (or durable) as the minis.

Chupa Chupa
Sep 13, 2005, 05:49 PM
In short: The functionality of the Nano is not nearly as useful (for some people) as the regular ipod line, and not quite as useful (or durable) as the minis.

You obviously did not see the stress test on ARS Technica. Nano Stress Test (http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.ars/3) To say the nano is not as durable as the nano is not based in fact. Truth is, because the nano is flash based, not hard drive based, it is MORE durable than the mini. It also contains MORE features than the mini like color screen, photo viewing, screen lock, better battery life, etc. The ONLY feature the mini has over the nano is firewire.

As for comparing the nano to the full size iPod...that is like comparing the merits of a $50,000 BMW 530 to a $50,000 BMW 330c convertible. Both are great cars but each serves its own demographic.

Personally, I've got one of each and have a use for the different form factors and features.

the_freddinator
Sep 14, 2005, 02:35 PM
You obviously did not see the stress test on ARS Technica. Nano Stress Test (http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.ars/3) To say the nano is not as durable as the nano is not based in fact. Truth is, because the nano is flash based, not hard drive based, it is MORE durable than the mini. It also contains MORE features than the mini like color screen, photo viewing, screen lock, better battery life, etc. The ONLY feature the mini has over the nano is firewire.

As for comparing the nano to the full size iPod...that is like comparing the merits of a $50,000 BMW 530 to a $50,000 BMW 330c convertible. Both are great cars but each serves its own demographic.

Personally, I've got one of each and have a use for the different form factors and features.

Sorry- by durable I meant that it gets scratched just as easily as the normal iPod line (seeing as it's the same polished material). The mini's body is made of a different material.

Nanda Devi
Sep 14, 2005, 09:37 PM
i still love the mini- the anodized aluminum is fantastic. shame they didn't have a color screen. i imagine they'll become a bit of a collectable now.

My thoughts exactly... when I heard they were being discontinued, I was just glad I had bought a mini while they were available and now I have something that's sort of a rarity. The finish on the mini is great because it's much more durable than the plastic, and it's small enough for me to run/work out with so I've really got no complaints. Not having a color screen isn't a drawback for me, either.

The Nano looks sweet of course, and I'd buy one if I had a need for it, but I've got my mini for workouts and my fist gen. for my home stereo, so I'm all set iPod-wise.

If anything, I wish I would have waited on the mini and bought a Shuffle instead when those came out, because I basically use my mini just like a Shuffle at the gym -- I have one playlist on shuffle and rarely look at the screen, just skip through songs until one I feel like listening to comes up.

ND

chi4julia
Sep 15, 2005, 05:12 AM
I think more than anything else Apple is trying to avoid standing still (and therefore being an easier target). By introducing a new player it makes it harder for competitors to catch up. I agree that the mini was nice, and that the colors were an attraction, but it's not like Apple can't reintroduce colors in the future. Keep changing.

In the long run though, I think Apple realizes that iPods will become less and less important as mobile phonese become effective music players. Dominating that market is the real competition in years to come.

YES! Change indeed. As everything, iPods should change and evolve.
I would really like for iPod to become what "Pod" stand for.

Lacero
Sep 15, 2005, 05:16 AM
Did you notice Apple was the only company capable of creating an iPod mini killer? I mean, they really outdid themselves.

I like the mini form factor of smooth continuous anodized aluminum. Not prone to smudges and scratches. The clean finish of the nano is a step backwards in my opinion.

The belt clip of the mini was also ingenious. Can't believe they didn't carry something like that forward onto the nano design. Apple is so frustratingly weird in that sense.

Plymouthbreezer
Sep 17, 2005, 04:27 PM
The nano's awesome for me, as I like the smaller size. I dislike taking my 20GB to school, or other "risky" places. I had a 512 MB shuffle, but I sold that to a friend for $80 to help fund my nano purchase. The color screen and larger capacity mixed with its small size is the real selling point for me.

servognome
Sep 17, 2005, 06:25 PM
Did you notice Apple was the only company capable of creating an iPod mini killer?

I think that is a great point, Apple's biggest competition is Apple.
Apple has pretty much taken the HD MP3 market. A 6GB mini with color screen is great, but all it would be is the "low end" iPod. It wouldn't really grow the marketshare.

The only way to grow is to go after the flash market. Now with the nano, Apple has created a "high end" flash based product. It blows away its direct competition, the other flash players, and with the 4GB limit does not directly compete with the HD based "high capacity" product line.

By creating more distinct product lines, Apple can also get multiple sales to the same customer. People are more likely to own a shuffle/nano and an iPod, than a mini and an iPod