Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimpats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2010
I have been using a PC at work and would enable Remote Desktop Connections to connect to it from other locations using VPN.

How can I achieve same capability if I switch to Mac ? :confused:

Do I need "other" software or Mac OS supports it on its own?

Please advice.

Thanks and have a great day.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
If you mean connecting FROM a Mac TO your work PC, then get RDP for Mac from Microsoft. Free, as I recall.

If you mean Mac to Mac, there are lots of ways. The "screen sharing" is essentially only VNC, which is not quite the same as RDP in that it isn't as full-featured. But you can use SFTP with something like Share Tool pretty easily, or various other solutions for sh. VPN is a bit more involved; I'd try a sh solution first as it's easier to set up and generally a bit less expensive.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.